Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The chance to get big money for Vidic has passed, I think.

I wouldn't compare him to Carrick. Vidic is so brittle these days. He was holding his back again tonight. I know Carrick is injured at the moment, but he doesn't pick up those long-term injuries that Vidic does.

Big changes need to be made. I hope they don't rush and sign people for the sake of signing them in January. We'd end up seriously ****ed at that stage.

I really hope that van Persie doesn't start to question the direction the club is going. We may as well pack it in if him and Rooney leave. De Gea is good, but not that good.

Wasn't suggesting it to be all done in January. All we really need in January is a winger and central midfielder. Sell Young and Anderson for whatever you can get, and replace them.
    Headshot wrote: »
    I rather not sign any players in Jan. Would be stupid. Do the homework and be the first out of the gates in summer

Pretty sure we're not qualifying for the CL if we sign no one in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

KH25 wrote: »
    Hard to do considering its a World Cup year.

They managed it with Hernandez four years ago. It can be done. I doubt Woodward is the man to do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

But we know that the ref won't give a foul for a slight tug on the shirt in the penalty area if you stay on your feet. We see this every week at every corner. It would have to be blatant. But it might be enough in a right situation to impede you. So it's a chicken and egg situation. Refs don't make the call, player makes him make the call. Players dive making refs less likely to give the benefit of the doubt when they stay on their feet.
    I agree somewhat, but tackling shirt pulling would be a nightmare logistically and maybe refs would be better able to deal with that stuff if players weren't constantly trying to distract them with underhand behavior. I just feel that a player loses the right to criticize refs for bad calls if they themselves try to trick the ref, and fans too.
    The problem is Young has played around 3 games in all and has done two terrible dives that I can remember, possibly more.
    I think there was a couple for England too. It certainly seems to me that he is always thinking of taking a tumble if an opposition player goes near him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

titan18 wrote: »
    Wasn't suggesting it to be all done in January. All we really need in January is a winger and central midfielder. Sell Young and Anderson for whatever you can get, and replace them.

Fair enough.

The only issue I have now with your plan is replace and then sell. As unreliable as Young and Anderson may be they are better than nothing.

Pick targets, get them sorted and then sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

KH25 wrote: »
    Hard to do considering its a World Cup year.

Meh still very much possible. Pre contracts the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

apparently the priority is a CB and a LB now :confused::confused::confused:

i dont see anybody leaving us to be honest in January and in the summer, Giggs and Rio will retire, i would say Anderson is a goner and possibly Evra. thats 4 players who will go....its insane to suggest we would sell more than that and those 4 out mean we need 4 in. fabio could leave, but again he would need to be replaced.

do people really have faith in our club to sign the world class replacements we would need? we'd get about 6-10million maximum for them, so we need to spend about £90 net in 2014 to start closing the gap to the top teams in europe.....its a huge outlay and i cant see us doing it.

i dont think we will sign any wingers, as we already have 4. We will sign a Creative CM i hope plus one more Cm, along with then replacements for Evra and Rio.

Fair enough.

The only issue I have now with your plan is replace and then sell. As unreliable as Young and Anderson may be they are better than nothing.

Pick targets, get them sorted and then sell.

Best to try and do them both at the same time. Woodward mightn't be able to, and I've nothing against us getting a good DoF in to sort transfers out.

There'll be players who are looking to move in January to get a WC spot. Being at a high profile club like United would be good for them. Someone like Muniain would probably be available and would be up for a move in order to get into the Spanish squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pretty sure we're not qualifying for the CL if we sign no one in January.

Your over reacting. We are the Pl champions and if we beat Arsenal we are back on the hunt for Pl . The team should get CL qualification all day long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I agree somewhat, but tackling shirt pulling would be a nightmare logistically and maybe refs would be better able to deal with that stuff if players weren't constantly trying to distract them with underhand behavior. I just feel that a player's lose the right to criticize refs for bad calls if they themselves try to trick the ref, and

What's more underhanded, the shirt pull or the dive? One tries to prevent a goal and the other tries to gain one. I can't see the difference really.

I feel at this point that I should say that I'd be livid if that foul had been given against us. But that's what being a fan is about.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Your over reacting. We are the Pl champions and if we beat Arsenal we are back on the hunt for Pl . The team should get CL qualification all day long

I don't think we'll beat Arsenal. They're playing well and we're not. Maybe a draw, but whilst I'd love it, don't think we win. The team should get CL qualification but atm, I don't think we will unless Moyes makes some big changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

What's more underhanded, the shirt pull or the dive? One tries to prevent a goal and the other tries to gain one. I can't see the difference really.
    I feel the diving is worse but I can't give you a strong reason why apart from one just seems more skin crawlingly embarrassing to me... Shirt pulling can really piss me off too mind but I think there are better ways to tackle it by players then throwing themselves to the ground. Anyway I'm not even sure that the defender really grabbed Youngs arm this time, it looked to me that Young just left his arm there in an evolution of the leaving his foot in move he uses to make it look like he was tripped.
    I feel at this point that I should say that I'd be livid if that foul had been given against us. But that's what being a fan is about.
    Well I guess there is the difference, and I once would have agreed with you but now I don't and I'm not sure what changed. I sometimes just feel jaded by the rolling around and whining at the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Justice was done with the penalty in the end.

I am getting sick of Young's diving. Moyes word with him had no effect seemingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't think we'll beat Arsenal. They're playing well and we're not. Maybe a draw, but whilst I'd love it, don't think we win. The team should get CL qualification but atm, I don't think we will unless Moyes makes some big changes.

It's the players who need to change imo, not Moyes. Some players have been criminally underperforming and are getting away with it based on the excuse that Moyes provides. Even when he's played pretty much the team and players I've wanted to see there's been no change. When the players who played can't score enough to beat West Brom then you have to look at these players who are making 3 or 4 times the money of their opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

when your own team gets a penalty actually makes you disappointed because you know before a replay is even shown that the players dived, its not right! should be sold in January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

BYVlUCiIEAAuDDJjpglarge_zps9fbc740a.jpg

Ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

jebus84 wrote: »
    when your own team gets a penalty actually makes you disappointed because you know before a replay is even shown that the players dived, its not right! should be sold in January

yeah there was no real contact there. your man put out his arms(dont even think he got any grip of his shirt) and he went down like he had his legs kicked from under him. its not acceptable and have to say while im disappointed RVP missed justice was done. if it was just the diving i would disagree about selling him but he is far too predictable and rarely has lived up to the promise he should in his first couple of months at the club.

think it was kinda a mixed preformance. a typical away european night and think on another night hernandez would have scored or 1 of RVPs 2 strikes against the post would have went in. think fellaini was doing ok but from about 5 minutes after his first yellow i thought to myself he is going to get sent off and sure enough. would say he should have been taken off after the ref gave him his final warning but what can you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I am getting sick of Young's diving. Moyes word with him had no effect seemingly.

Moyes "word" is not worth much, to be fair, if it has no consistency.
    "I have seen it and the boy certainly tugs him in the box," said the United boss.
    "If you look the referee is two yards away from it and decided to give it.
    "All I know is he got a penalty kick from a decision, I don't know anything about reputations or anything.
    "The referee was there. He made quite a lot of decisions tonight and that one he gave a penalty kick."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Is that where we are now? Using foul play to justify cheating?

Evra and Kagawa, a new promising partnership?
    The way Patrice Evra and Shinji Kagawa combined against Real Sociedad was reminiscent of the manager's tactics at Everton

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/05/manchester-united-real-sociedad-david-moyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I was hoping Moyes would try something like that, I'm starting to think the team is coming together, hopefully we can keep up the unbeaten run and change these draws to wins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Was there contact in the box last night?

It's got to the stage where he has even told us: 'Don't try and stay on your feet if you're in the box and get a slight kick," Stam revealed

Even Moyes has said the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Question for the united faithful here. Well 2 actually. What's the handyiest way too get from Liverpool too Salford? Also after the match what bars good too kill a few hours in while traffic dies down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Good to see Keane say Fellaini had a good game on Utv, easily his best game for united and unlucky to be sent off, think it proves that him and Carrick can't play together, they will be alternated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

another dreadful performance.

mitosis wrote: »
    Moyes "word" is not worth much, to be fair, if it has no consistency.

Fergie even had a word with him iirc. That was probably not to make it so obvious though :pac:. I'm glad we didn't win the game with that penalty.

Of course I was happy when the penalty was awarded but then I saw the replay and as a UTD fan you just cringe. His falls look so unnatural and its hard to defend him.

I don't want games won this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Question for the united faithful here. Well 2 actually. What's the handyiest way too get from Liverpool too Salford? Also after the match what bars good too kill a few hours in while traffic dies down?

Liverpool airport? well there is a bus that goes outside the main terminal and drops off in sackville street...this is how we normally travel.

bars, are up to what you want but in general we find the pubs in manchester are farily lifeless and poor. theres a good few around city center, wander into a few and you will find one to settle into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Homerjay has already mentioned the bus from John Lennon airport to Manchester, but if you are going to be in Liverpool city centre, then you can get a train from Lime street station that will take you to Salford central or directly to the Man U railway station if you are going to Old Trafford itself (Southern route is the one that goes to the Man U station on match days)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Thought Fellaini was poor as usual in the first half last night but somehow came out a different player and was actually very very good after the break. not brilliant but very good at breaking up play and starting counter moves. I thought the first yellow was a joke and just plain wrong. The Spanish were diving left right and centre last night so they can hardly blame Young for being a cheat too. Saying that I hate seeing his name on the sheet, you know you are going to get at least one dive from him, and they are so bad they are just cringy.

Kagawa was out of this world when moved to the centre, its a shame that Rooney prefers that role and would always be favoured there as no way would he be as good as Kagawa was last night. Brilliant at making space for himself with one turn. Started to see why so many rave about him whilst in Germany.

Liverpool airport? well there is a bus that goes outside the main terminal and drops off in sackville street...this is how we normally travel.

bars, are up to what you want but in general we find the pubs in manchester are farily lifeless and poor. theres a good few around city center, wander into a few and you will find one to settle into.
    Nope were flying into Liverpool sat morning and staying there as Manchester isn't a great night spot really. Well just travel up Sunday morning and back Sunday evening then. We allways say well get the train or bus but end up gettin a taxi in our hungover states. We normally go too the bishop blaze for a few hours before kickoff too soak in the atmosphere but was looking for a good spot close by for after wards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Nope were flying into Liverpool sat morning and staying there as Manchester isn't a great night spot really. Well just travel up Sunday morning and back Sunday evening then. We allways say well get the train or bus but end up gettin a taxi in our hungover states. We normally go too the bishop blaze for a few hours before kickoff too soak in the atmosphere but was looking for a good spot close by for after wards

i have always enjoyed the manchester night life. maybe its cause i have a soft spot for the manc accent and the scouse one makes my skin crawl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Thought Fellaini was poor as usual in the first half last night but somehow came out a different player and was actually very very good after the break. not brilliant but very good at breaking up play and starting counter moves. I thought the first yellow was a joke and just plain wrong. The Spanish were diving left right and centre last night so they can hardly blame Young for being a cheat too. Saying that I hate seeing his name on the sheet, you know you are going to get at least one dive from him, and they are so bad they are just cringy.

Kagawa was out of this world when moved to the centre, its a shame that Rooney prefers that role and would always be favoured there as no way would he be as good as Kagawa was last night. Brilliant at making space for himself with one turn. Started to see why so many rave about him whilst in Germany.

I missed most of the first half, I thought Kagawa was very deep when playing in the middle, surely hes worth try there beside Fellaini at some stage to see how he does.

magnumbud wrote: »
    i have always enjoyed the manchester night life. maybe its cause i have a soft spot for the manc accent and the scouse one makes my skin crawl

I must admit the only one time I stayed in Manchester my moth was with me (she arranged it for valentines day when Wazza scored THAT goal against citeh) but I didn't think it was great.. The sat night was ok we were in that centre with all the bars. The Sunday was dire! No where open etc.. Have stayed in Liverpool 12r13 times and each time gets better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

On the diving issue, there is so much dishonesty, cheating and foul play that goes on in pro soccer that if I was to get as upset as I should about the state of it then I wouldn't watch any game.

Phlegmymoses makes a good point, the defender did pull his shirt, if only barely...the only way to stamp out diving is if refs start penaslising without players going down.
    Like look at the farce that is every single corner kick with the pulling and dragging that goes on, start dishing out penalties and the game will be fairer for all.

Last nights dive would be an absolute non event on the continent. That's just the way it is over there, what's that PC phrase they have for it?

With all that been said, I hate seeing it.

Incidentally, I watched a fair bit of the women's cup final on Sunday, there was very little messing, a breathe of fresh air it was

Ordinary performance last night, left 2points after us.

The Man Utd sponsors Quiz. All hail Woodward

http://www.theguardian.com/football/quiz/2013/nov/06/football-quiz-manchester-united-sponsors

I got 3 out of 10 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

We were in the Bishops Blaize after the Southampton game and there was a good crowd in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

http://www.theguardian.com/football/quiz/2013/nov/06/football-quiz-manchester-united-sponsors

6 out of 10 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Dunno if it's been posted already, but there's a good article in the guardian about Kagawa and Evra's link-up play last night.

Still, the Kagawa-Evra partnership was the main positive from United's performance. By the time Kagawa was moved centrally, the game's two most frequent passing combinations were Evra to Kagawa (16 times) and vice-versa (12 times). The best passing move of the game came relatively early on, when Kagawa slipped the ball wide to Evra and motored into the area. Evra knocked a low pass into the box for Rooney, who touched the ball back for Kagawa, who unleashed a powerful shot. It was the only shot on target of the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Would the same Utd fans giving out about young have been as critical of all the diving Ronny, Ruud and to a lesser extinct Rooney have done over the years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

You scored 7 out of a possible 10

Can you help us with a leveraged buyout please?

• Advertisement

4/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Got the Bakcell question wrong.

Guessed at the horse racing organisations question though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Think people must be starting to see that Kagawa is a far better number ten than Rooney if they didn't already know it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

keane2097 wrote: »
    Think people must be starting to see that Kagawa is a far better number ten than Rooney if they didn't already know it?

Hopefully.

A few people have been saying recently that Kagawa hasn't done anything to deserve a run in the side. I'd be of the opinion that he should be given a run at no. 10 to see what he can do. Even if Moyes gave him 30 mins in a few games in a row that woudl be good enough for me.

Obviously getting our best 11 out on the pitch is difficult because of our midfield. Hopefully some system will be arrived at, where Kags+Rooney+RVP can be on the pitch at the same time without sacrificing width.

Tough ask though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I do think Kagawa is better suited to the AMC role than Rooney.

However... Moyes/United don't want to lose Rooney so won't drop him or sacrifice him for Kagawa.

Kagawa will only get into the team by playing well off the wing. That is the practical reality of the situation. It may be partly down to politics, and I might not like it, but thats how it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Our wingers are so bad we should play a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2

De Gea
    Rafeal - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra
    Carrick - Clev - Fell
    Kags
    Rooney - Rvp

Maybe we would be to narrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Since Young, aka diver, joined Man United that has been his trade mark. It spoils the game, and every time he approaches the box, one can see he is ready to go down...... pathetic. I hope FIFA introduce rules to allow referees to give straight reds to repeated cheaters and lengthy bans. Words are not going to cure Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

bullvine wrote: »
    Good to see Keane say Fellaini had a good game on Utv, easily his best game for united and unlucky to be sent off, think it proves that him and Carrick can't play together, they will be alternated.

Think it's far too early to be making a statement like that. At a guess they could have only played together 4 or 5 times max, probably less, in a team full of underperforming players. Don't see why there is any reason Carrick and Fellaini couldn't play together once they develop a bit of an understanding.

At least give the partnership a chance before you write it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Nolars wrote: »
    Our wingers are so bad we should play a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2

De Gea
    Rafeal - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra
    Carrick - Clev - Fell
    Kags
    Rooney - Rvp

Maybe we would be to narrow?

It cant be any worse than our current play with 'wingers'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I do think Kagawa is better suited to the AMC role than Rooney.

However... Moyes/United don't want to lose Rooney so won't drop him or sacrifice him for Kagawa.

Kagawa will only get into the team by playing well off the wing. That is the practical reality of the situation. It may be partly down to politics, and I might not like it, but thats how it is.

That is the harsh reality of Kagawa's situation at OT, Rooney will always win the selection battle in the 10 position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

dahat wrote: »
    That is the harsh reality of Kagawa's situation at OT, Rooney will always win the selection battle in the 10 position.

So we've gone through the looking glass to where one player is more important than the team? When did that happen!?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement