Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

keane2097 wrote: »
    So we've gone through the looking glass to where one player is more important than the team? When did that happen!?

When Rooney wasn't sold! No way will Kagawa ever be played in the 10 role ahead of Rooney, Rooney is Moyes jewel much the same way Fergie chose RVP last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So we've gone through the looking glass to where one player is more important than the team? When did that happen!?

When that player handed in a second transfer request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Last night was the perfect time to give kag 90mins in the no 10 role but Moyes went with his golden boy

Really irritating me that we could loose a superb player in summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Due to keeping rooney, we are likely to lose Kagawa and Hernandez, and Rooney isn't even talking to United about a new contract, with his current deal up in 2015.

Its all looking rather short sighted at the moment.

I do reckon if PSG, Bayern or Madrid etc had come in with a decent bid, Rooney would have been sold. I think the club were against selling within England, not in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Due to keeping rooney, we are likely to lose Kagawa and Hernandez, and Rooney isn't even talking to United about a new contract, with his current deal up in 2015.

Its all looking rather short sighted at the moment.

I do reckon if PSG, Bayern or Madrid etc had come in with a decent bid, Rooney would have been sold. I think the club were against selling within England, not in general.

That would be the worse case scenario and I agree that Kagawa looked very lively last night when he went central but I think Rooney wants to stay.

He seems a lot happier lately and he was pleased the Fergie set the record straight in his book. I think he would accept a new contract with us. The question is are we better off with Rooney in the hole or Kagawa? Rooney gets my vote, he is tailor made for the EPL.

The way Evra and Kagawa operated last night could be the way forward. Even Rooney and Kagawa interchanging a bit more could be implemented.

I think we will lose Chico but have hope for Kagawa and Rooney will stay imo.

cue all three fecking off to Monaco and Evra joining them

That would be the worse case scenario and I agree that Kagawa looked very lively last night when he went central but I think Rooney wants to stay.

He seems a lot happier lately and he was pleased the Fergie set the record straight in his book. I think he would accept a new contract with us. The question is are we better off with Rooney in the hole or Kagawa? Rooney gets my vote, he is tailor made for the EPL.

The way Evra and Kagawa operated last night could be the way forward. Even Rooney and Kagawa interchanging a bit more could be implemented.

I think we will lose Chico but have hope for Kagawa and Rooney will stay imo.

cue all three fecking off to Monaco and Evra joining them
    My personal opinion is that I don't think United are going to offer Rooney the same money he is on now, and certainly not an increase - and at that point Rooney will run the contract down - so we either sell him next summer or lose him for free the following one.

Despite what Moyes and Woodward have said on the matter, they did not put an end to the Rooney issue in the summer - it is still a massive problem currently and with regards to squad management/planning for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Rooney is a striker. It's where he has played his best stuff. If we're not going to play him there, does he offer enough in the other roles he takes up? Probably not at the moment.

He's one of my favourite players but he has the club over a barrel and is creating a massive roadblock to players like Kagawa and Hernandez whilst not having played his best stuff in a year and a half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I get Rooney is one of the strongest strikers in the PL, but I do feel at this stage that a transfer would be best for the club as a whole; not only would it let the likes of Hernandez and Kagawa get more games to prove themselves, the funds could also be invested in other younger players for the first team (24-25 year olds).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

I get Rooney is one of the strongest strikers in the PL, but I do feel at this stage that a transfer would be best for the club as a whole; not only would it let the likes of Hernandez and Kagawa get more games to prove themselves, the funds could also be invested in other younger players for the first team (24-25 year olds).

Not to mention the wage reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I said before the season started that Rooney being sold wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.. Got slated for it immediately.

I knew his presence would hinder other players development, he would command a good fee, and free up some wage space. In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons.

I am a little biased however, his behaviour has left a sour taste in my mouth and I've grown to almost dislike a player I once adored.

That's my opinion, I'm entitled to it, I respect those that offer different ones, but I'm going to stick by mine.

• Advertisement

Some people still want Rooney to go? I can't say I agree but if his behavior in the past is the reason I can't argue.

What I can say is that his behavior so far this season has been excellent. He has been by far our best player and a shinning light in the team. He is UTDs best player and the best player in the EPL and one of the best players in the world, top ten imo.

To be annoyed at him is fine but I am willing to give him a chance at redemption. He is quality and I would hate to see him sold. It would be a huge loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Fenix wrote: »
    I said before the season started that Rooney being sold wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.. Got slated for it immediately.

I knew his presence would hinder other players development, he would command a good fee, and free up some wage space. In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons.

I am a little biased however, his behaviour has left a sour taste in my mouth and I've grown to almost dislike a player I once adored.

That's my opinion, I'm entitled to it, I respect those that offer different ones, but I'm going to stick by mine.

There is logic to both sides of the argument [keep him vs. let him go], I wouldn't have a go at anyone for having either point of view. I'd say I'm swayed a little more towards let him go, but not to an English side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's no doubting Rooney's ability as a forward, but Kagawa will benefit the team more than Rooney will in that position IMO.

People saw what he did last night in the little time he got.

Kagawa doesn't have the leverage of handing in a transfer request when he doesn't get his way.

Also heard that Barca youngster Sergi Roberto has a buy out clause of €20m in his contract and a few PL clubs are lurking around, surely must be brought into the picture if we're still after Ander. He's been earmarked as Xavi's successor for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yes, Rooney has been excellent, mainly because he's getting what he wants from Moyes. If Kagawa started every game in the Rooney position I'd say Kagawa will be doing the same, if not better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Nolars wrote: »
    Our wingers are so bad we should play a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2

De Gea
    Rafeal - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra
    Carrick - Clev - Fell
    Kags
    Rooney - Rvp

Maybe we would be to narrow?

I would go with 4-1-3-1-1

De Gea
    Rafael - Vidic - Evans (better than Ferdinand currently) - Evra
    Carrick
    Clev - Kagawa - Januzaj
    Rooney
    RVP

It is impossible to keep Rooney up top anyway, he is always going to drop deep and defend when necessary, he is essentially a box to box striker and has always been, so not going to change now. Fellaini is a back up for Carrick, hopefully he can settle in and contribute.
    If Cleverly regains confidence a line of himself, Kagawa and Januzaj could be very interesting with bags of pace, stamina, and movement. Midfield need to move the ball at pace, Fellaini and Giggs are not going to do that.

I would love to see the above team start against Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

The Man Utd sponsors Quiz. All hail Woodward

http://www.theguardian.com/football/quiz/2013/nov/06/football-quiz-manchester-united-sponsors

I got 3 out of 10 :(

I got 7 out of 10. Got the noodles, DHL Deal and the Japanise social gaming partners wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

I got 7 out of 10. Got the noodles, DHL Deal and the Japanise social gaming partners wrong
    Got 7 / 10 by pure guesswork. Woodward is some pimp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so its "turn on Rooney" time again?

the lad has been our best player this year and people still moan about him, despite the fact that he has insisted that he never wanted to leave the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

More fool you for believing him. Being our best player given the start we've enjoyed is faint praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the lad has been our best player this year and people still moan about him, despite the fact that he has insisted that he never wanted to leave the club.

Which would you prefer the bolded part of your post to be referred to as

A. Misleading
    B. A lie

?

Don't over react to it, its not turn on Rooney time, people are putting their opinions out there regarding the situation, since it has still not actually been resolved I think that's perfectly reasonable.

I don't agree with the him insisting he never wanted to leave part? Is their a source for this?

but I have no doubts he felt mistreated by Fergie and although he didn't act perfectly that doesn't mean he should be not given the chance to redeem himself.

But as you say he has been immense for us and I dread to think where we would be without him.

I don't agree with the him insisting he never wanted to leave part? Is their a source for this?

interview with ITV when the book was launched -
    Obviously he's (Ferguson) got his own opinion. I've not said nothing and thankfully he's come back and corrected the story that I put a transfer request in. He's come back and proved that I didn't, so I'm thankful for him for it.

so what more do people want?
    kryogen wrote: »
    Which would you prefer the bolded part of your post to be referred to as

A. Misleading
    B. A lie

?

so now that ive proven he insisted he didnt want to leave, do you retract your previous post?

It's not so much "turning on Rooney". I acknowledge he's one of our better players this season, but I just feel that's not saying much. And the arguement isn't "He's useless, get rid of him". It's "Is the team stronger if he leaves and the money is invested back wisely". There's a difference there.

interview with ITV when the book was launched -

so what more do people want?

so now that ive proven he insisted he didnt want to leave, do you retract your previous post?

No, you have yet to prove he insisted he didn't want to leave.

You know this.

• Advertisement

In fact, neither Wayne or Moyes has been able to answer that question straight, when Moyes was getting asked has Wayne told him he wants to stay Moyes wouldn't answer it directly, instead talked about how good he looks in training and how well he is playing

Wayne also doesn't respond to the question, there are plenty of examples of this. Did you want to leave Wayne? "Im just concentrating on my football" Are you happy to commit your future to the club? "im just concentrating on my football"

Reading that Rooney quote, all it says is he didn't hand in a transfer request. That is not the same as saying he wanted to stay though.

Rooney has been the best of a bad bunch so far in fairness, because he's worked hard and got us goals, but look at what that's done to our chances created in most games.

It's a problem if the creative link between the midfield and the forwards isn't being the link, the game a while back where Hernandez didn't have a shot on goal is a perfect example of this.

People say Kagawa has done nothing to be played ahead of Rooney in that position but I think even that little cameo we saw last night is enough to stake a claim for a few full games behind the striker. I think he'll excel if given the chance to prove himself.

Rooney is one of the best strikers in the league when he wants to be but the question is, would the team be better off in the long run with Kagawa playing in his correct position?

The sad thing is, I think the plan was that Kagawa would come in to play behind Rooney and the RVP thing came out of left field and threw that plan out the window, along with hindering Hernandez. Obviously RVP is a fantastic player and I am not wishing we didn't sign him really, just that maybe for the long term it would have been better if we didn't?

Tough one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Yes but then man city would have gotten him, or he would have stayed at Arsenal. Neither of those options sound particularly appealing to me.

It would appear that we have an embarrassment of attacking riches, that Moyes is trying to shoehorn into a functional team. I'd much prefer that than having a well-balanced, but ultimately average squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Yes, Rooney has been excellent, mainly because he's getting what he wants from Moyes. If Kagawa started every game in the Rooney position I'd say Kagawa will be doing the same, if not better.

I'm just gonna put this out there. That post was awful. You're literally just saying. Yeah Rooney is great. But thats only because he is playing great football in a position he likes to play in. Kagawa has done nothing to suggest he is a better player than the best player on our team

I dont understand the logic in Selling our best player to give two lesser players (in Hernandez and Kagawa) a chance to play. If one of them has to go due to us keeping our best player then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Laughable that there are still some on here that actually believe Rooney never wanted to leave in the Summer. Even ignoring all the Ferguson stuff, it was patently obvious from a) leaks his agent gave to the media and b) Moyes refusing to confirm that Rooney didn't want to leave in his opening press conference.

If you honestly believe that he never wanted to leave then you've either got your head in the sand or didn't pay enough attention as to what went on in the Summer.

A simple question for you.

In his last season at United Ruud Van Nistlerooy scored 21 league goals. Was it the right decision to allow Van Nistlerooy to leave the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I'm just gonna put this out there. That post was awful. You're literally just saying. Yeah Rooney is great. But thats only because he is playing great football in a position he likes to play in. Kagawa has done nothing to suggest he is a better player than the best player on our team

I dont understand the logic in Selling our best player to give two lesser players (in Hernandez and Kagawa) a chance to play. If one of them has to go due to us keeping our best player then so be it.
    Do you think that Rooney is the right man for the number 10 role? The link between midfield and the forwards? Because that's the question now. Creating chances for his strike partner, finding intelligent pockets of space between the lines and linking the play between your midfielders, wingers and strikers.

I think Kagawa is worth a run there because although Rooney has been good, he is playing more as a deep lying striker, than a creative number 10. Depends on what you want, I guess.

we've scored 13 and conceded 12 in the last 9 league games. Created little against West Brom, Southampton and Liverpool to name a few.

I'd like go see Kagawa get a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The sat night was ok we were in that centre with all the bars. The Sunday was dire! No where open etc.. Have stayed in Liverpool 12r13 times and each time gets better!

I've had the same experience.

Saturday was buzzing. Been there a few times on Saturday. One day went out on a Sunday and it was hopeless. Nowhere open in the city. Had to get a £10 taxi out to some late bar. ****e altogther.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I think we need to play 4-3-1-2 our wingers are atrocious lb and rb are better attacking than wingers tbh....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rooney wanted to leave, no doubt. Has applied himself very well under Moyes so deserves to play for how well he has worked off the field and on it since Moyes took over. The idea a manager shouldn't have a player he relies upon is ignoring reality, it happens in football all the time and I can see why Moyes wants him in the team ahead of other players.

He is a problem for Kagawa no doubt, but its up to Kagawa to become a problem for Rooney or Van Persie. I don't see a need to worry that he will be gone next summer, he has forced himself into contention after not starting at the beginning of the season, Moyes likes players like him out wide, he is next in line after Rooney and should get games at 10 over the season.

Hernandez deserves the love but seeing Rooney as a roadblock is suggesting he would be good enough to lead the team. To me he simply isn't THAT good, he has never really looked like a player that would be either. Great first 18 player. Justifiably he is well behind Van Persie and Rooney for the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've never had a problem with Rooney wanting to leave and/or wanting a better contract and have defended him to the hilt in that regard a lot of times.

The fact that seems obvious to me is that he's neither the best striker at United (despite being an excellent one) nor the best number ten (at which he is pretty average).

If that means you have to sell him it means you have to sell him, but the only point I wanted to raise when I brought it up initially is that shunting Kagawa to the wing to accommodate Rooney benefits nobody bar Rooney himself.

Rooney's main problem at ten is that he doesn't seem to trust himself to receive the ball in tight spots high up the pitch and moves out to wing or drops away deep anytime he wants to receive the ball, and always looks to control it with his back to goal when there's an opponent anywhere near him.

If you have to play one of them on the wing and one of them at ten then Kagawa ten - Rooney wing is better than the alternative.

If you have to play one of them on the wing and one of them at ten then Kagawa ten - Rooney wing is better than the alternative.

And then the question arises if we're better off selling him and saving the club 250k a week, plus whatever bonus he gets, and buying an actual top class winger.

• Advertisement

A simple question for you.

In his last season at United Ruud Van Nistlerooy scored 21 league goals. Was it the right decision to allow Van Nistlerooy to leave the club?

yes it was. Van Nistelrooy was becoming a very disruptive influence on the dressing room, he was not a team player and our style of football revolved around him- style that was s*it. Rooney is a very popular member of the squad and integral part of the team.

its no coincidence that when he left, our football improved immediately and Other players flourished. Luis Saha scored 25 goals in a year. if Rooney left, we'd be in deep s*it, he makes us tick.

the main problem is that the club has shown a massive incompetance in the past at replacing top class players and Rooney probably wouldnt be any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

First leaked pic of the new shirt,if it's real I'm not gone on the black shoulder pads.

BYZ6BrCIgAA-i2f.jpg-large.jpeg

zerks wrote: »
    First leaked pic of the new shirt,if it's real I'm not gone on the black shoulder pads.

BYZ6BrCIgAA-i2f.jpg-large.jpeg

Tufty or Boyle reckon it is fake.

yes it was. Van Nistelrooy was becoming a very disruptive influence on the dressing room, he was not a team player and our style of football revolved around him- style that was s*it. Rooney is a very popular member of the squad and integral part of the team.

its no coincidence that when he left, our football improved immediately and Other players flourished. Luis Saha scored 25 goals in a year. if Rooney left, we'd be in deep s*it, he makes us tick.

the main problem is that the club has shown a massive incompetance in the past at replacing top class players and Rooney probably wouldnt be any different.

We agree on Van Nistlerooy then, but picking up on a sentence of yours, "our style of football revolved around him- style that was s*it", on some level you must see that this could very well apply to Rooney. The team is built around him currently and frankly the team is ****.

Its not very hard to imagine that if Rooney left our football could improve and other players could flourish, the parallels are just too striking.

Just reading that Madrid are in talks about naming rights for their stadium,seems like they may not be able to borrow any more due to debts of some €541 million,we thought our debt was bad.
    Hopefully Old Trafford doesn't end up being renamed in order to raise more funds.We saw how things went in Newcastle when St.James' Park was renamed.

Speaking of sponsorship,it seems that United will get a nice chunk of cash from jersey sales in the new kit deal,something that clubs generally don't get or if they do it's miniscule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Saha 25 goals in a year, I say he barely got that in his whole time at Utd, especially in the PL

We agree on Van Nistlerooy then, but picking up on a sentence of yours, "our style of football revolved around him- style that was s*it", on some level you must see that this could very well apply to Rooney. The team is built around him currently and frankly the team is ****.

Its not very hard to imagine that if Rooney left our football could improve and other players could flourish, the parallels are just too striking.

no, back then we had Ronaldo and Rooney about to kick off and Saha at the prime of his career. We had Rio about to enter the form of his life and Evra and Vidic just signed, along with Carrick.

United was about to enter one of its best periods in the clubs history in 2006, the opposite could be happening now.

our football is bad with Rooney, its absolutely awful without him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

When Ruud left he wasn't as focused on working for the manager as Rooney is. He was bringing gioals but he was having problems with teammates and the manager,

Like him or not, Rooney is performing for the new manager. That is worth a lot to Moyes and makes him even more worthy of his place. If more players were playing for the manager and the group like that from day one the season would have started much better. He is not a disruptive influence to the other players since Moyes got him focused and back playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think we need to play 4-3-1-2 our wingers are atrocious lb and rb are better attacking than wingers tbh....

I'd kinda like to 3-2-2-1-2

Evans,Rio/Jones and Vidic as CBs
    Rafael and Evra as wing-backs
    Carrick and Fellaini in midfield
    Kagawa at AMC
    and Rooney and RVP up front.

As long as Kagawa and Rooney kept an eye on full-backs going forward for overlaps and got back to help, it'd work I think. Similar to how Juve play but with Kagawa further forward than their 3rd midfielder.

• Advertisement

Word from Portugal that Garay won't be getting a new contract,Benfica can't afford the wages he wants plus he's keen to leave.€20m is being talked of as the asking price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement