Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Danger781 wrote: »
    VDBSntd.png

Wayne just popped this up on Facebook..

Some man

On behalf of myself (a man about the (Liverpudlian) town) I'd just like to send my best wishes to Wayne Rooney. A professional like him who always gives 110%, to be questioned by fans like this is disgusting, disgusting! A rival player or not an injury like this is never nice to see, the so called fans metaphorically rubbing salt in to the head wound then on top of it, it'd make ya sick. Let us unite at times like this and stand for sportsmanship and respect.

All the best Wayne, Audman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Does the fellaini buy put kagawa further down the peaking order?

Rooney is guaranteed to play behind rvp, Rooney gets injured does fellaini go there?

Also nani, valencia, welbeck, zaha, all on the wings kagawa is behind a lot of players.

I wouldn't put in all down to moyes, fergy didn't really trust him either.

I think he'll have to leave united to get game time but I also think united will be reluctant to sell him, far too marketable in the Asian market.

That's a depressing thought. I don't think Kagawa's been given a fair crack at all. You're right about Fergie's lack of trust in him. Remember when he dropped him for that Champs. League 2nd leg game against Real last season? All the talk that night was about Rooney being on the bench but the Kagawa omission was equally surprising imo, he had been brilliant in a league game the previous weekend and scored twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    His years of work at Everton have done that.

alot of people would both agree and disagree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Very odd that it's the second time he has being sliced open. Guessing Jones somehow stood on his head with those blade studs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

What an odd statement :)

• Advertisement

master-t wrote: »
    What an odd statement :)

go on? while certain elements of what he has achieved are good - stayed at a club for a long time and spent little to do that, so to speak, there are other hall marks which people say he is missing to deserve the job.

its 50/50 for me and surely im not the only person that says yes he is decent, but we could have got better.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Would anyone disagree with the fact that he deserves more than 3 games to be judged after proving himself as a very good manager for years?

for the lols...

BTT4OETIAAAYaId.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Rooney with a lightning shaped scar on his forehead.

Let the Harry Potter jokes commence.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Would anyone disagree with the fact that he deserves more than 3 games to be judged

point out anybody who suggested otherwise? not whats being debated here at all. he has to earn his right to be a great manager now and what he did at Everton, matters little imo once the dust settles.

the honeymoon period is over, its results and trophies now or more to the point, the standard of football that is played on the pitch which i hope in turn, leads to trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

the honeymoon period is over

What honeymoon period? He was being critcised in here before the team even kicked a ball competitively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Holy Schit. That cut on his head is massive. That'll leave a scar. When he cuts he really cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Does the fellaini buy put kagawa further down the peaking order?

Rooney is guaranteed to play behind rvp, Rooney gets injured does fellaini go there?

No it doesn't put Kagawa further down the pecking order.

Fellaini has been bought for a CM role, he will get pushed up front if we really need a goal in the dying minutes of a game and that will be it. Cleverley/Anderson are the ones going to be losing out to Fellaini.

v3ttel wrote: »
    What honeymoon period? He was being critcised in here before the team even kicked a ball competitively.

the reaction of people on boards doesnt matter one b*llix to david moyes or the club. it is however what happens at the grounds - he got a top class reception so far, but that was before we lost to Liverpool. he will still get a great reception, but things will start to settle back into normality now and even Fergie would get some stick if results were poor off the fans.

a few of ye need to realise there is more to United than what happens or is written on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I am so desperately sick and tired of Manchester United having to be scared about playing any big team, about hearing how we have to play defensive just to cope, to play the likes of Valencia in midfield just because he can tackle and we are frightened about being overrun by the other team.

There was a time when teams were scared of us, when we didn't have to change our team at all because the likes of Keane or Ince could bloody well handle whatever the opposition had. I miss those days, I really do.

If I could thank your post a 100 times I would. spot on

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If I could thank your post a 100 times I would. spot on

All it takes it 99 alt accounts. If you had any level of commitment to the cause you'd do it.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

point out anybody who suggested otherwise? not whats being debated here at all. he has to earn his right to be a great manager now and what he did at Everton, matters little imo once the dust settles.

the honeymoon period is over, its results and trophies now or more to the point, the standard of football that is played on the pitch which i hope in turn, leads to trophies.

Curious, as it relates to my feeling towards Rodgers (even Klopp to a certain extent at BVB) in his first year at Liverpool somewhat. Obviously Liverpool and United are in different positions in recent years and Moyes is far more experienced than Rodgers too before it's mentioned.

Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe you feel you should be challenging for the league and possibly win a cup at least this year. But if the standard of football is good to very good, but just say ye win nowt this season, does that buy him time or not?

You said 'great managers earn their chance'. He has earned his chance to try and be a great manager. It's very hard to have done that in 3 games. I'm really struggling to see your point here.

We all know results and trophies are what matter now.

a few of ye need to realise there is more to United than what happens or is written on boards.

[/Irony]

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    but just say ye win nowt this season, does that buy him time or not?

yes it does. playing football the United way will gain him alot of support. fast, exciting, high tempo.

but if we are labouring to 0-0 draws based on hoofball with no width and teams with Young, Valencia, Jones, Giggs in it consistently then people wont be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe you feel you should be challenging for the league and possibly win a cup at least this year. But if the standard of football is good to very good, but just say ye win nowt this season, does that buy him time or not?

If the football is good and we are a few points (say 5-8) of the league then ill be happy to have him as manager for at least another season

If we play the same as we did versus pool and finish 3 even with the same amount of points then i dont know

Trophies arent everything to judge his first season off but i dont want to see the team regress i want to see improvement in our play

Blah!

... Blah black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, a Fellaini headful.

Sky Sports saying that that Fellani "only" gave up 750k and not £4million as was reported.

they again reiterated that the release clause was £23.5million and United overpaid by £4 to get him, but £1million of that is in add ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

NTMK wrote: »
    If the football is good and we are a few points (say 5-8) of the league then ill be happy to have him as manager for at least another season

If we play the same as we did versus pool and finish 3 even with the same amount of points then i dont know

Trophies arent everything to judge his first season off but i dont want to see the team regress i want to see improvement in our play

As much as I want to see an improvement too, it's quite a big ask for any manager to walk into a club and improve on Alex Ferguson.

I would fully expect United to be worse than last season, no matter who was brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Just a thought but any one else think that Ryan Giggs role as player/coach represents a conflict of interest within the squad?

For example, he's started all the games under Moyes thus far when the reality is he's been poor to non-existent in he games whilst better options are available such as Kagawa and Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Can someone tell me why has Jones apparently been written of by a large number of posters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Any idea what Fellaini will be on a week on with ye lads?

kippy wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why has Jones apparently been written of by a large number of posters?

he has not been written off by anybody, at all.

however, some people like myself think we overpaid for him, he has alot of improving to do (grand as he as he is only 21) and at the moment perhaps should not be starting for the club ahead of Rafael at RB and ahead of the other 4 at CB. he does lack certain technical skills and he does lack man marking ability in the middle, he tends to dive in. however, as pointed out he is young and can improve, but likewise youth is no guarantee he will improve.

i happen to think with him in the team at DM he can do a good job, but as pointed out thats a defensive tactic and United need better aspirations than that. i dont trust him in RB or CB right now and i do worry about us when he is at CB.

his main quality is he is extemely driven and that looks good, but at the same time i think he creates a false impression and it covers certain flaws in his games.

He maliciously butchered Wayne Rooney with the cleats of his soccer shoes as is evident in a picture or two a few pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

GavRedKing wrote: »

Considering Woodward in charge id say bootboy money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

GavRedKing wrote: »

Actually haven't heard any figures. You'd think the media would have pulled one out of their collective asses by now.

I heard around 80 but not sure how true that is.

go on? while certain elements of what he has achieved are good - stayed at a club for a long time and spent little to do that, so to speak, there are other hall marks which people say he is missing to deserve the job.

its 50/50 for me and surely im not the only person that says yes he is decent, but we could have got better.

Sorry, I just thought it was an odd statement and then to say terms like 'we could have got better' , you're '50/50', 'people say he is missing elements that make him deserve the job' etc.

Yet, if I was arsed, I could trawl back a few days ago where you are "100% fully behind Moyes and the team".

Do you see the level of contradiction in these posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

the reaction of people on boards doesnt matter one b*llix to david moyes or the club. it is however what happens at the grounds - he got a top class reception so far, but that was before we lost to Liverpool. he will still get a great reception, but things will start to settle back into normality now and even Fergie would get some stick if results were poor off the fans.

I disagree.

Everyone is online these days and most fans daily log onto some type of forum whether it be boards, redcafe, facebook, twitter, reddit or what have you. If you look at the opinins across all of these boards they are generally the same and its the same tweets, statistics, pictures, video clips, newspaper articles and revelations (whether good or bad) being posted, taken and shared accross the forums.

Everybody and everything becomes connected and you end up with a hivemind scenario. Sure Moyes gets a good reception, any self respecting fan would clap the manager and team as they walk out but down the pub or outside the ground if you ask any fan for an opinion you will hear the opinions from social media forums regurgitated back at you. Anderson is fat, our MF is ****e and all the rest.

Woodward needs to be sacked is going to be the new one. A lot of the basic information that spills onto and between the forums is swept up and consumed as fact by the person browsing. People these days want quick information, a one line summary news fix if you will and are not bothered with digging deeper and finding out facts. News breaks in real time these days. Look at how far ahead the forums were of SSN on deadline day, people get their news online first, its the new go to source. As this news breaks so quickly the truth can be left behind and the internet is full of misinformation and a lot of this early misinformation in a breaking story is taken as fact and its impossible to change that mindset once its accepted.

SSN even screenshot and report tweets on their hourly reports. The Boston bombings this year set a new standard for online reporting. The news online was so far ahead of the tv media it was scary. A lot of the information was real time and very useful and by the average guy at home and not a journo. The bombers were picked out on online photgraphs before the news named them. People were given minute by minute updates, links to police CV channels, these people knew where the suspects were cornered and killed before the tv stations did. People in the cordoned off areas were tweeting pictures of the suspects driving past their houses. An Australian news station was using this particular online thread to update its viewers. News stations made many errors. On the bad side many conclusions were jumped too and innocent people in the background of photos were falsely accused.

The online opinions these days are the general opinions of the majority of the public because that's where everyone lives. Underestimating the power of social media could turn out be a grave mistake for society in the next decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Any of the Dubs in here realised the All-Ireland final is on the same time as the Man City game. Typical.

A win against City and an All-Ireland title would make that day one of the bestest ever. Like totally. Booking the Monday off. I'm getting old. Hangovers last days now, not hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

he has not been written off by anybody, at all.

however, some people like myself think we overpaid for him, he has alot of improving to do (grand as he as he is only 21) and at the moment perhaps should not be starting for the club ahead of Rafael at RB and ahead of the other 4 at CB. he does lack certain technical skills and he does lack man marking ability in the middle, he tends to dive in. however, as pointed out he is young and can improve, but likewise youth is no guarantee he will improve.

i happen to think with him in the team at DM he can do a good job, but as pointed out thats a defensive tactic and United need better aspirations than that. i dont trust him in RB or CB right now and i do worry about us when he is at CB.

his main quality is he is extemely driven and that looks good, but at the same time i think he creates a false impression and it covers certain flaws in his games.

Who else thinks 16m was overpaying for one of the best young players in England with tremendous upside?

GSPfan wrote: »
    Any of the Dubs in here realised the All-Ireland final is on the same time as the Man City game. Typical.

A win against City and an All-Ireland title would make that day one of the bestest ever. Like totally. Booking the Monday off. I'm getting old. Hangovers last days now, not hours.

I hope the 2 teams in blue get beat out the gate.

Do you see the level of contradiction in these posts?

no, im 100% behind him now that he is manager. there is no contradiction here, at all. i guess i have a slightly different approach to some people what the term support means, for me its how loudly i sing when the team is playing...for others its what is posted on a message forum.

however, i am not sure he is the right man for the job, that cannot be changed if he earns it.

ill continue to support him and the team no matter what happens, or not matter what is posted on here.

no, im 100% behind him now that he is manager. there is no contradiction here, at all. i guess i have a slightly different approach to some people what the term support means, for me its how loudly i sing when the team is playing...for others its what is posted on a message forum.

however, i am not sure he is the right man for the job, that cannot be changed if he earns it.

ill continue to support him and the team no matter what happens, or not matter what is posted on here.

Homer, to me this is possibly you saying because you attend more matches than others, you are a bigger fan than those who contribute posts? Which, is possibly an argument, I don't know.

Is it possible to be 100% behind Moyes yet at the same time be unsure if he is the right man for the job? Genuine question by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I haven't written him off but I think it's quite clear the move to a top club came a couple of seasons too early. I don't think he has improved that much since getting here, been messed around a little.

• Advertisement

Homer, to me this is possibly you saying because you attend more matches than others, you are a bigger fan than those who contribute posts?

not saying that at all, im saying my attitude towards the term support is different as that is what really counts IMO as regards being behind moyes at this stage.

going to games entitles a man to nothing, alot of d*ckheads go to games and vent their anger when team is not going well, refuse to sing etc etc. id rather they did that elsewhere and not inside the grouds, but each to their own.
    Is it possible to be 100% behind Moyes yet at the same time be unsure if he is the right man for the job? Genuine question by the way.

of course it is. im not a huge fan of certain players, but still want them to do well for the club.

not saying that at all, im saying my attitude towards the term support is different as that is what really counts IMO as regards being behind moyes at this stage.

going to games entitles a man to nothing, alot of d*ckheads go to games and vent their anger when team is not going well, refuse to sing etc etc. id rather they did that elsewhere and not inside the grouds, but each to their own.

of course it is. im not a huge fan of certain players, but still want them to do well for the club.

Spot on, when you put it like that I understand what you mean. I was under the impression you were saying you are not with Moyes, yet 100% behind him etc which I found confusing. But I understand what you mean now. I would alike this to my take on Nani. I wasn't 100%
    convinced on him and his level of consistency, but still wanted him to prove me wrong and perform to the highest level.

Also with regards attending matches. That's cool, I just wanted to clear that up as I agree with you on that. People who go to matches sometimes appear Holier Than Thou and their opinion is better than others. Then you have some proper d**kheads at OT who do nothing but scream and abuse the players, then cheer when we score. Same happens at Ireland matches. It infuriates me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »
    Who else thinks 16m was overpaying for one of the best young players in England with tremendous upside?

Exactly and even if it doesn't work out i am sure we will still get 10-12m back if he is sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Rio and Pat getting in on the Ando food jokes.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Rio and Pat getting in on the Ando food jokes.

Ando looks well pissed off!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Do any of you think there may be a change of formation now that Fellaini has signed?
    4-2-3-1

DDG
    Raf--Rio-Vidic--Evra---
    Carrick--Fellaini---
    Nani--Rooney--Kagawa--
    RVP

Thats the line up I would like to see,it gets our best players on the pitch and imo has a nice balance to it.The 2 CM will provide good protection for the back 4 and should also allow the 2 fullbacks to get forward.There is still the problem of Kagawa not playing in his best position but I think he can still do a very good job coming in from LW.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Do any of you think there may be a cgange of formation now that Fellaini has signed?
    4-2-3-1

DDG
    Raf--Rio-Vidic--Evra---
    Carrick--Fellaini---
    Nani--Rooney--Kagawa--
    RVP

Thats the line up I would like to see,it gets our best players on the pitch and imo has a nice balance to it.The 2 CM will provide good protection for the back 4 and should also allow the 2 fullbacks to get forward.There is still the problem of Kagawa not playing in his best position but I think he can still do a very good job coming in from LW.

I think everyone now agrees that this is our best 11 and formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

yabadabado wrote: »
    Do any of you think there may be a change of formation now that Fellaini has signed?
    4-2-3-1

DDG
    Raf--Rio-Vidic--Evra---
    Carrick--Fellaini---
    Nani--Rooney--Kagawa--
    RVP

Nearly everybody who posted a team has posted that exact team. It is without a doubt the best we can field but i won't hold my breath about it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah it seems to be our best team and it will be interesting to see our line up when everyone is fit and available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why doesn't he change the formation to a 433? Less midfielders then and he can leave Giggs in the reserves.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement