Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Blatter wrote: »
    Again, I thought it was reasonable to assume that you weren't talking about fear in terms of losing to a 'rival'. Why bring Barca or Juve into the equation at all then if that's what you meant? Of course Arsenal of 98-05 were far bigger 'rivals' than those teams!

Anyway, I still maintain Barca of 09-11 were miles better than those Arsenal sides and I don't think I'm being even slightly disrespectful in saying that!

No problem with Barca being best. In fairness you have strong case one I agree with.

Not a huge difference, but I would say Barca were better too. Proof is there tbf.

Rivals are more common tbf in PL. Although it nearly became one with Juve cause we met something like 6-8 times in few years. Juve been far superior in the first few exchanges.

Rivals term was used in the Liverpool/City/Arsenal trio Timmy mentioned.

Arsenal were our biggest threat for number of years.

They were a benchmark for us at the time. We failed miserably to meet until April/May 1999.

I cant count for every fan, but from 1998 Arsenal/Man United were top 2 teams in England for near decade imo. I be honest its pretty clear to see just going by titles alone.

Arsenal 3 - 0 Liverpool in terms of PL titles in that period. Nearly destroyed our Treble hopes in 99 (think we won league by point)

To slag your Liverpool buddies maybe meant more, but as in terms of winning trophies I cared more about Arsenal results going up in smoke more than any other team then.

I can only speak for myself.

But i be amazed if im alone here. Actually stunned.

Yup, I be agreein' with you I recken'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Two stories from The Express
    Valencia midfielder Ever Banega, 25, has confirmed he wants to move in the January transfer window, with Manchester United, Arsenal and Southampton all believed to be interested in the Argentina international.
    Manchester United are lining up Sevilla's Alberto Moreno, 21, as a replacement for left-back Patrice Evra, 32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Two stories from The Express

Depending on price Banega could be a good addition. I know valencia have been poor this season but how has he been playing?

Can't say I know much about Moreno .Anyone seen much of him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Arsenal from 98-05 were Uniteds biggest rivals no doubt. Whoever finished higher, won the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Loved that period where the United/Arsenal rivalry was at its best, was brilliant for the league and was a genuine rivalry between two greats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Anyone remember David Bellion scoring vs Arsenal in the cup :P

Think we won 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I cant count for every fan, but from 1998 Arsenal/Man United were top 2 teams in England for near decade imo. I be honest its pretty clear to see just going by titles alone.

Arsenal 3 - 0 Liverpool in terms of PL titles in that period. Nearly destroyed our Treble hopes in 99 (think we won league by point)

To slag your Liverpool buddies maybe meant more, but as in terms of winning trophies I cared more about Arsenal results going up in smoke more than any other team then.

I can only speak for myself.

But i be amazed if im alone here. Actually stunned.

^

I wasn't around for the Liverpool glory years. I appreciate their history, but Arsenal for me have always being the biggest rival as they would have been direct title contenders.

Obviously that has shifted the last few years, but I definitly wouldn't be in anyway concerned about Liverpool. Jesus I wouldn't even slag my Liverpool mates, theres nothing to get uppity about really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ok in my view Liverpool will always be our biggest rivals in a historical sense but most definatly arsenal were the biggest rivals from 98 - 05 then it was chelsea then city but liverpool have always been that special rivals

to me its like if barca or madrid ever declined and werent fighting for the title barca vs madrid would still be the biggest game in spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

arsenal will beat us by 2 goals.

cannot wait now until moyes is replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Leftist wrote: »

ari-gold-gtfo.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I reckon we'll be very defensive against Arsenal since their CM could destroy us

Maybe do a 4-5-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

had a dream last night that he left.... please come true.

For a club sunken with debt, handing over cash to moyes is a complete waste of time. Just sack him next summer and give the new man the funds.
    expect a public bid soon. Woodward will ring it up from the races. Laughing his arse off.

Another masterstroke by old woody.

Who do you really support?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

You have your historic/local rivals and your competitive rivals.

We will always want to beat Liverpool based on the "we are the bigger English team because we have more of this trophy etc" argument but they have not been competitive rivals for a while now.

Of course every team is a competitor but recently Its been City, Chelsea and Arsenal. The clashes late in the season we these teams can swing titles in your favor, the Liverpool games don't have this edge as much recently.

When Liverpool become a title threat again they will be epic but the Arsenal matches for pure intensity and football quality has been better than anything we have had with any other team for a long time now.

Both teams had amazing starting elevens and the managers and players had just enough disliking for each other to add that extra spice.

I hope for this type of games Sunday, its been a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ah cmon I disliked him at the start too mainly because I never wanted him but we are starting to tick now and are unbeaten in what 7-8 games, Like I said he needs this year to learn next year to push on.

• Advertisement

Neymar.gif

Is that the sound of Barca fans calling for Neymar to lave the club? Nope.

Neville and Ballack all blamed the defender last night for the Young challenge yet you have our guys blaming their own player, laughable.

RasTa wrote: »
    Neymar.gif

Neville and Ballack all blamed the defender last night for the Young challenge yet you have our guys blaming their own player, laughable.

my god will you give it a rest, on and on and on about the same subject. Its getting tiring reading the same crap

You dont think it was a dive, we get it

Who do you really support?

:rolleyes:

Yes because no United supporter would be unhappy with moyes.

Don't even think about questioning who I support.

I am 100% certain he will go down as another Wilf McGuinness.

SAF says that one of the main reasons he changed his mind from retiring in 2002 was because Martin Edwards was worried there might be another Busby situation. Apparently SAF was offended by the concept of him skulking about the club after he left, interfering with the new era.

Except he's gone and orchestrated exactly what happened after Busby.

Neymar.gif

:D laughable post, comparing Neymar to Young ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

:Dlaughable post

:D:D

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    my god will you give it a rest, on and on and on about the same subject. Its getting tiring reading the same crap

You dont think it was a dive, we get it

It's the reaction from so called fans like you, not the dive although you already want Moyes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

:D laughable post, comparing Neymar to Young ffs.

this.

It's the reaction from so called fans like you, not the dive although you already want Moyes out

just out of interest for context of your posts; what age are you?

you're taking offense to remarks about ed woodward.

If someone was to slag off the glazers would you be defending them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

You'll be waiting a while. We're 3 months into the season, it's ridiculous to want a change of manager already. Yes we've been playing mostly shi*e, but we're only 3 points off 2nd place.

just out of interest for context of your posts; what age are you?

you're taking offense to remarks about ed woodward.

If someone was to slag off the glazers would you be defending them too?

All you do is piss and moan and that's all the debate you will have with myself.

Man your posts are self righteousness crap and those ex players that think diving is acceptable even if its just a small contact between the player and defender that gives the sport a bad name.

The last time I looked soccer is a contact sport, the way that bloody diver Young went down against Real Sociedad embarrassed my club. Its bad enough he's crap but the constant diving, no wonder people want him gone from the club

And Moyes out thing. I never wanted Moyes at the club in first place, get your facts right next time.

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    You'll be waiting a while. We're 3 months into the season, it's ridiculous to want a change of manager already. Yes we've been playing mostly shi*e, but we're only 3 points off 2nd place.

I know, I will be waiting.

Tbh, It would be counterproductive even from the perspective of his biggest critics, if he was sacked now.

I expect one to three years of moyes.

But ideally I wish they could line up a replacement for next summer or the following. Worth waiting for a proper appointment.

I am sure it won't work out with moyes though. He's totally out of his depth, both short and long term.

Man your posts are self righteousness crap and those ex players that think diving is acceptable even if its just a small contact between the player and defender that gives the sport a bad name.

The last time I looked soccer is a contact sport, the way that bloody diver Young went down against Real Sociedad embarrassed my club. Its bad enough he's crap but the constant diving, no wonder people want him gone from the club

And Moyes out thing. I never wanted Moyes at the club in first place, get your facts right next time.

There we have the the modern football fan. Young is crap so his diving annoys me.... I never wanted Moyes, sack him after 8 games wah wah wah.

This from somebody with Wenger pic under his username. Support the team or **** off.

Now Leftist, you where pissing me off all summer with crap like
    osman has been spotted at ot. End times

I can see why Mikey stopped posting here, more time is spent slating the team

There we have the the modern football fan. Young is crap so his diving annoys me.... I never wanted Moyes, sack him after 8 games wah wah wah.

This from somebody with Wenger pic under his username. Support the team or **** off.

Now Leftist, you where pissing me off all summer with crap like

*were

Couldn't care less if I was pissing you off.

You think you can dictate how people support the club and you can't even grasp the culture of the support.

Neymar.gif

I think it's abit much to be comparing Neymar to Young,
    if you have watched any Barcelona games since he has arrived you will see that he gets absolutely kicked around.

He starts nearly every game and has settled in very well to the club.

Young has never really shown his worth and when he does get a chance he blows it with outrageous dives. Young isn't a bad player on his day, he is not only letting himself down but he is letting the club down also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

if you have watched any Barcelona games since he has arrived you will see that he gets absolutely kicked around.

Young has never really shown his worth and when he does get a chance he blows it with outrageous dives. Young isn't a bad player on his day, he is not only letting himself down but he is letting the club down also.

From the games I have seen he has a penchant for going down well before the contact is made :)

Sigh... your really coming across badly here. Very tribalistic. I really cant stand fans like you that cant take criticising of ones club. Ronaldo was diving at utd but no one asked for him to be sold because he as great, its the opposite for young, he's a below average player and is diving alot. Even if Young didnt dive, I dont want a below average player at my club.

Im perfectly entitled to my opinion on Moyes since he has nothing in his C.V to back up his appointment at utd. I hope im quite wrong but when iv seen nothing so far this season to change my mind, why should I support a manager that I never wanted and see no progress with?

Yes its sad to see Mikey not posting here since he's a sound guy but life goes on. The point of this thread is to discuss utd, not just the good but equally the bad.

edit

regarding my avatar, I cant remember why I had that in the first place, couldnt be arsed changing it for you. Its quite funny that you think just because I have Wenger in my sig that im betraying utd, man your on a roll today Rasta with your silly idea's lol

edit

regarding my avatar, I cant remember why I had that in the first place, couldnt be arsed changing it for you. Its quite funny that you think just because I have Wenger in my sig that im betraying utd, man your on a roll today Rasta with your silly idea's lol

he thinks he's some kind of roy keane figure in the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Some people still want Rooney to go? I can't say I agree but if his behavior in the past is the reason I can't argue.

What I can say is that his behavior so far this season has been excellent. He has been by far our best player and a shinning light in the team. He is UTDs best player and the best player in the EPL and one of the best players in the world, top ten imo.

To be annoyed at him is fine but I am willing to give him a chance at redemption. He is quality and I would hate to see him sold. It would be a huge loss.

A bit extreme saying he has been "by far" the best player in the team this season. He has been very good but I wouldn't say fantastic. A lot of his goals have been from set pieces. De Gea has been outstanding this season and has made some valuable saves in a lot of games. Evra has also been brilliant this season. It's great to see his form improve in the last 15 months.

I'd have to disagree on him being the best player in the EPL. Ozil, Van Persie, Suarez and maybe even Aguero are better then him I think. Kompany and Vidic would be in the mix too, considering how valuable they are to their teams.

he thinks he's some kind of roy keane figure in the dressing room.

tbf you go over board your self and he is the polar opposite

Im in the middle :pac:

tbf you go over board your self and he is the polar opposite

Im in the middle :pac:

Kind of like the Djemba Djemba of the dressing room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can't see Young being at the club after January,what does he contribute?

The other night there was a simple tackle to be made & he shied out of it as if he was made of glass,that led to Sociedad breaking & creating a chance,one of the very few they had.
    People still harp on about the good stuff he did at Villa,well the sun shines on a dogs arse sometimes.The blatant diving apart he's just not up to it at this club,his level is somebody like Stoke at this stage,one of Fergie's more bizzare signings.
    We complain about Valencia being one dimensional but Young is as bad,get the ball cut inside & kick it over the end line,rinse & repeat.If I was RVP or Rooney waiting on service from him I'd box the head off him after the game out of sheer frustration having watched ball after ball sail over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Am I reading this right....in the opinion of some, if you are a good player it's perfectly ok to dive? Ref. Neymar and Ronaldo.

If however you are an average squad player and you take a dive, then.... 'Jesus I'm outraged...be gone with you and stop embarassing MY club'.

You're either for diving or against diving, pick a side gents....

Note. I hate diving, I hated it when Ronaldo did it and I hate that Young does it but it's ingrained in the game at this stage, it's the fault of the lawmakers and enforcers in the game, it happens in every game in every league in the world... there is nothing exceptional about Ashley Young taking the odd tumble.

The current outcry and calls for him to be sold based on one or even a couple of incidents are outrageous.

The fact people would prefer he was sold cause he hasn't lived up to his price tag is a separate matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

zerks wrote: »

The other night there was a simple tackle to be made & he shied out of it as if he was made of glass,that led to Sociedad breaking & creating a chance,one of the very few they had.
    People still harp on about the good stuff he did at Villa,well the sun shines on a dogs arse sometimes.The blatant diving apart he's just not up to it at this club,his level is somebody like Stoke at this stage,one of Fergie's more bizzare signings.
    We complain about Valencia being one dimensional but Young is as bad,get the ball cut inside & kick it over the end line,rinse & repeat.If I was RVP or Rooney waiting on service from him I'd box the head off him after the game out of sheer frustration having watched ball after ball sail over my head.

i would tend to agree. his first couple of months were very promising but then got injured and has been in and out since and done nothing to really inspire. he is far to predictable as you say. he rarely ever uses his left foot its always cut back and cross or shoot and never that accurate. people give out about nani but atleast he can do damage with both feet. fine he might hit row z alot but atleast you can say he is not predictable which can help win alot of games. i feel almost the same about valencia as i do young but valencia is a bit more consistent and had some great form at united.

• Advertisement

Watching the game on my own the other night I actually said out loud to myself "was this guy on the p!ss last night"!!
    He was shocking apart from that ball for RVPs chance.

I think he's worth having in the squad...for me it depends on the sale price/wages saving and how you balance that against the cost of replacing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Lads/Lasses, rein back on the personal stuff before one or more of you takes it too far.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    From the games I have seen he has a penchant for going down well before the contact is made :)

You obviously haven't seen many games so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

What is your argument here?

That because Young is a bit **** and Neymar is a bit good, they can't have made similar dives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ericzeking wrote: »
    Watching the game on my own the other night I actually said out loud to myself "was this guy on the p!ss last night"!!
    He was shocking apart from that ball for RVPs chance.

I think he's worth having in the squad...for me it depends on the sale price/wages saving and how you balance that against the cost of replacing him.

+1 apart from worth keeping in the squad.He's on a high wage for doing feck all & sitting on a nice long contract,weigh that up against bringing in somebody who contributes instead of a guy who had a decent season 3 years ago.

+1 apart from worth keeping in the squad.He's on a high wage for doing feck all & sitting on a nice long contract,weigh that up against bringing in somebody who contributes instead of a guy who had a decent season 3 years ago.

Do we have any facts about his approximate wages, and more particularly his wages relative to other players? I keep hearing that he's on high wages but the fact is at United they are all on high wages!!!
    Whatever he's on he should be performing better simply because he plays for United but not neccessarily because he makes an extra 10 grand a week that we feel could be better spent, the little bit over and above that he earns won't make or break United.

Now if he was making something outrageous I'd take that on board but then again he was in the form of his life and an England regular when we signed him.
    I don't think his specific wages should be an issue for us or a stick to beat a specific player with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Young should be sold, but he wont be. Moyes for some reason, appears to rate him.

Rio, Giggs, Evra are the 3 players who i expect wont be with us next year, Anderson too probably.

Apart from those 4 and a few young lads, i cant see us actually making any money from transfers in the next 12 months :(
    ericzeking wrote: »
    Do we have any facts about his approximate wages, and more particularly his wages relative to other players? I keep hearing that he's on high wages but the fact is at United they are all on high wages!!!

somebody posted a table of wages a few weeks back and iirc, he was on 90k and was the 5th or 6th best paid player - far ahead of alot of players.

What is your argument here?

That because Young is a bit **** and Neymar is a bit good, they can't have made similar dives?

Look back through the posts, someone compared Neymars dive to Young and mentioned that Barcelona fans aren't calling for his head.

Bluntly I was trying to point out that Neymar and Young are not on the same level, Young contributes absolutely nothing to United whereas Neymar has been brilliant since he arrived to Barcelona.

Why would they call for his head?

It's really not that difficult to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Diving doesn't really bother me that much tbh, it's no worse than manly men like Vidic grabbing a sneaky handful of a guy's jersey to stop him getting away. Mild cheating is super-dooper standard in all sports. It's actively lauded in rugby where Richie McCaw's constant cheating at the breakdown is considered one of his most valuable skills and there are a lot of other examples too.

The thing that's actually aggravating isn't really a player going down easily to win a free - that's built into the rules whether the players like it or not - it's the bit where they pretend to be really badly hurt that winds me up, because it makes players who are serious physical specimens look like pathetic weaklings and it delays the game drastically.

They ought to bring in a rule where if you need treatment on an "injury" or need the game stopped on your behalf you have to spend five full minutes on the sideline for medical assessment. Would stop that nonsense instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i thought there was a big embarrassment and shame by people connected to Barcelona about Neymar and his diving or did i pick that up wrong?

in saying that, considering that diving is a huge part of Spanish football, i wouldnt use a lack of people wanting him out, as any yardstick, at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

BTW, did I see Valencia lose a sprint on Tuesday night? :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement