Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

BTW, did I see Valencia lose a sprint on Tuesday night? :eek:

I think he has lost a bit of pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Look back through the posts, someone compared Neymars dive to Young and mentioned that Barcelona fans aren't calling for his head.

Bluntly I was trying to point out that Neymar and Young are not on the same level, Young contributes absolutely nothing to United whereas Neymar has been brilliant since he arrived to Barcelona.

Why would they call for his head?

It's really not that difficult to understand.
    In fairness, I didn't read the post correctly. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

It's really not that difficult to understand.

I suppose the point is that Young's diving has little to do with whether he should be axed or not, though it has been quoted as a reason over the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Why bring up Neymar's diving when Busquets dived out of the womb, diving and Barca go hand in hand.

It happens at every team, Young's problem is that he makes it stupidly obvious and dramatic, like Suarez does, and now has a name for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Young isn't good enough
    Overpaid apparently
    And his dives are getting a lot of unnecessary attention in the media, which other teams and refs will be well aware of

He won't go to 2014WC I bet

Not a Manchester United player

Out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Young's problem is that he makes it stupidly obvious and dramatic, like Suarez does, and now has a name for himself.

Nail on the head. the slightest contact and he hits the deck like bambi on ice.

It's not that he's just a diver, it's that he's a terrible one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trilla wrote: »
    Young isn't good enough
    Overpaid apparently
    And his dives are getting a lot of unnecessary attention in the media, which other teams and refs will be well aware of

He won't go to 2014WC I bet

Not a Manchester United player

Out

i sense you are trying to be either funny or sarcastic here....or something. the reality is, for the past 18 months, Ashely Young has performed about 3 levels below the necessary level of a Manchester United player and one who cost £16million.

on current form, we would struggle to get £6million for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Did someone say Barca and diving?

symulka-jordi-alba.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Nail on the head. the slightest contact and he hits the deck like bambi on ice.

It's not that he's just a diver, it's that he's a terrible one :)

Ha! He actually gets quite a few pens so he can't be that bad at it*!! In fact it's the fact that he wins so many penalties that are subsequently deemed dives that he has gained such notoriety for it!

*Ericzeking does not condone diving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

well he's succesful at winning penalties, at the expense of his reputation and standing with the clubs fans.
    A shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I wonder had RVP scored that penalty would it still be a discussion. Everybody does it, Young is as bad as anyone. No big deal at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

bullvine wrote: »
    I wonder had RVP scored that penalty would it still be a discussion. Everybody does it, Young is as bad as anyone. No big deal at this stage.
    No everybody doesn't do it. Also Young is up there with the worst divers in premier league history. He is a cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Gringo180 wrote: »
    No everybody doesn't do it. Also Young is up there with the worst divers in premier league history. He is a cheat.

Sorry, I wasn't condoning it, I meant every team has at least one shocking diver. They should ban players post-game like they do with stamping.

bullvine wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't condoning it, I meant every team has at least one shocking diver. They should ban players post-game like they do with stamping.

I agree with a one game ban. But I also think it falls down to the club to stamp it out, why haven't they fined him 2 weeks wages and made it public. It would send out the message that the club wont tolerate this type of behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Everybody doesn't dive or everybody doesn't cheat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Happy Birthday to David De Gea and Rio Ferdinand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I agree with a one game ban. But I also think it falls down to the club to stamp it out, why haven't they fined him 2 weeks wages and made it public. It would send out the message that the club wont tolerate this type of behaviour.

Should the club fine Vidic for pulling a strikers jersey at every corner kick? That's cheating...

It's up to the referee and the authorities to sort out diving and they have been dragging their heals for years, sorry decades on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ericzeking wrote: »
    Should the club fine Vidic for pulling a strikers jersey at every corner kick? That's cheating...

It's up to the referee and the authorities to sort out diving and they have been dragging their heals for years, sorry decades on this issue.

Retrospective banning would eliminate it. Have no idea why it hasnt been brought in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Gotta love hyperbole all the same. No, no he is not. Currently he is flavour of the month with the media but he is far from the worst ever. No one was talking about his diving before United, now he plays for the biggest club in the league its an issue. Never seen any of those pictures of his diving before playing for United.

The problem with Young is he keeps doing it despite having at least one conversation with his manager (Moyes) and as far as I remember Fergie said he would 'have a word' too. So if he is not stopping it after repeated warnings from bosses then he will keep on doing it. For me, its a sign of his struggling to justify his position at the club. He has not performed well whilst giving his chances and has shown no sign of becoming an answer to or left winger issue. If he keeps doing it this season I think Moyes will rightly get rid of him. Personally I don't think he is good enough but would love to be proved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ronaldo went down too easily when he was younger,the older players had a word & he pretty much cut it out.The difference with Ronaldo & Young is that Ronaldo gets kicked & kicked yet still demands the ball (even Keane lauded him as brave),Young on the other hand is a pussy,the slightest hint of a challenge and he may as well sit in the stands for all he'd contribute to the game afterwards.

This latest incident is merely the straw that breaks the camels back with him.What's the bets he won't even make the squad for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Gotta love hyperbole all the same. No, no he is not. Currently he is flavour of the month with the media but he is far from the worst ever. No one was talking about his diving before United, now he plays for the biggest club in the league its an issue. Never seen any of those pictures of his diving before playing for United.

The problem with Young is he keeps doing it despite having at least one conversation with his manager (Moyes) and as far as I remember Fergie said he would 'have a word' too. So if he is not stopping it after repeated warnings from bosses then he will keep on doing it. For me, its a sign of his struggling to justify his position at the club. He has not performed well whilst giving his chances and has shown no sign of becoming an answer to or left winger issue. If he keeps doing it this season I think Moyes will rightly get rid of him. Personally I don't think he is good enough but would love to be proved wrong.

For all we know Moyes is just saying that in the media and could be telling him to drop at the slightest touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is that not a bit of a contradiction?

I cant recall any player apart from him, Bale and Suarez over the past 2 seasons that have blatantly dived to win penalties or free kicks. Its not hyperbole its fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Diving will not be stamped out. It was a hot topic years ago and they brought in a clampdown. But as soon as they charged their first player (arsenal's eduardo) there was uproar about going down easily and diving. Same thing will happen again so the powers that be will sidestep it. Personally i'd like to see it looked at as well as the grabbing at corners and the ridiculous way some players get away with blatent fouling in shepparding the ball out of play. And don't get me started on players running after refs waving cards for the softest fouls

Young's contribution is terrible.Stat's for last season read that he took on a player 0.5 times a game,this season it's 0.8,his shooting is the same,1.1 shots a game last season & 0.5 this one.For an attacker he doesn't like to attack much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Diving will not be stamped out. It was a hot topic years ago and they brought in a clampdown. But as soon as they charged their first player (arsenal's eduardo) there was uproar about going down easily and diving. Same thing will happen again so the powers that be will sidestep it. Personally i'd like to see it looked at as well as the grabbing at corners and the ridiculous way some players get away with blatent fouling in shepparding the ball out of play. And don't get me started on players running after refs waving cards for the softest fouls
    The problem with charging Eduardo was that there was no legitimate (rule based) excuse to charge him. They needed to actually have a rule in place which would allow them to charge people, but there was no stomach for that, so instead they went about it arseways and charged Eduardo when they had no basis to do so based on their own rulebook, because of a media outcry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cant post it but my facebook has picture of Zaha and Nani in finest kitchen clothes that needs to be shown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The problem with charging Eduardo was that there was no legitimate (rule based) excuse to charge him. They needed to actually have a rule in place which would allow them to charge people, but there was no stomach for that, so instead they went about it arseways and charged Eduardo when they had no basis to do so based on their own rulebook, because of a media outcry.

A couple of mitigating points in relation to Eduardo.

(1) He was not a serial diver
    (2) He had just recovered from one of the most horrific leg breaks
    (3) There was some contact, albeit very minimal and not seen from every angle, he exaggerated the contact
    (4) Arsenal sold him very quickly afterwards

There are no mitigating points in relation to Young. He has dived on a regular basis since he came into football. He won five or six penalties for Villa in his last season there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Cant post it but my facebook has picture of Zaha and Nani in finest kitchen clothes that needs to be shown

The size of Zaha,impressive bloke.

BYe90VPIQAAg_XW.jpg:large

dahat wrote: »

Lol @ Nani,looks like he's freezing his nuts off.:pac:

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

In that picture they've just been told that in addition to having Valencia and Young play ahead of them they will also have to prepare, cook and clean up after every single one of Rooney and Anderson's meals. Nani on bathroom cleaning duty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

zerks wrote: »

Or else he just got a kick in them :D

dahat wrote: »
    The size of Zaha,impressive bloke.

That's the one.

Caption time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

English-League-Division-One-match-at-Old-Trafford-Manchester-United-1-v-Arsenal-0-6282814.jpg

George Best, Pat Crerand, Frank McLintock, John Radford jump up for the high ball during the match.

The final score was Manchester United 1 to Arsenal 0.

This image came 2nd in the sports category of the World Press Awards for 1967

Utd90_6282786.jpg

Denis Irwin tussles with Nigel Winterburn

h_00382344_6169474.jpg

Patrick Vieira lies injured on the ground after a challenge from United's Roy Keane, August 10 2003.

PA_SOCCER_Arsenal_160466_6153105_3185341.jpg

Arsenal form a guard of honour for champions Manchester United at the Emirates Stadium in 2013

Manchester Evening News

The most captivating fixture in English football? I think yes! :D

They forgot this one,was hoping Ruud was going to lay him out that day

keownDM1502_468x363.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The Class of 92: A new film tells the story of six young men who together would conquer the world with Manchester United
    The director Gabe Turner, one of the two brothers who made The Class of 92, has a revealing story about Paul Scholes's debut in the movie business. The feature-length documentary is about the great Manchester United generation of Scholes, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers, Gary and Phil, and is released next month.

When Gabe and his brother Ben sat down to interview Scholes, recently retired for the second time and third on the club's all-time appearances list, the man himself had one major question.

Gabe takes up the story: "Paul said, 'Is this a movie then?' And we said, 'Yes'. 'Not television?' Paul said. 'No, Paul'. You could see him thinking. He said, 'Does that mean there'll be a premiere?' We were like, 'Yes, probably there'll be a premiere'. He said: 'Would I have to come to that?' We said: 'I'm sure we would want you to come to that. Would you like to?' 'No,' he said. 'Not massively'."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

English-League-Division-One-match-at-Old-Trafford-Manchester-United-1-v-Arsenal-0-6282814.jpg

George Best, Pat Crerand, Frank McLintock, John Radford jump up for the high ball during the match.

The final score was Manchester United 1 to Arsenal 0.

This image came 2nd in the sports category of the World Press Awards for 1967

Love that photo, really took me back (not to that game far too long ago for me to remember) to the Spot The Ball competition my parents used to do along with the Littlewoods Pools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

_60259465_60259463.jpg
    The 1909 FA Cup final saw Manchester United beat Bristol City 1-0

BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

ericzeking wrote: »
    Am I reading this right....in the opinion of some, if you are a good player it's perfectly ok to dive? Ref. Neymar and Ronaldo.

If however you are an average squad player and you take a dive, then.... 'Jesus I'm outraged...be gone with you and stop embarassing MY club'.

You're either for diving or against diving, pick a side gents....

Note. I hate diving, I hated it when Ronaldo did it and I hate that Young does it but it's ingrained in the game at this stage, it's the fault of the lawmakers and enforcers in the game, it happens in every game in every league in the world... there is nothing exceptional about Ashley Young taking the odd tumble.

The current outcry and calls for him to be sold based on one or even a couple of incidents are outrageous.

The fact people would prefer he was sold cause he hasn't lived up to his price tag is a separate matter.

Well said man.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Hey everyone,

Have a spare ticket to the Ferguson event @ convention centre tomorrow if anyone is interested at cost price.

If this type of post isn't allowed, please delete and my apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

They forgot this one,was hoping Ruud was going to lay him out that day

I never liked Keown, but that day I really wanted to see him get decked.

KH25 wrote: »
    I never liked Keown, but that day I really wanted to see him get decked.

Ya he had a head for punching :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Ya he had a head for punching :D

That incident aside he s actually the son of irish parents and is extremely proud of his roots. Played hurling in ruislip as a youngster and is a big wexford supporter.
    But he still looked like a steroid filled gorilla that day with van nistelrooy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

n32 wrote: »
    That incident aside he s actually the son of irish parents and is extremely proud of his roots.

Extremely proud of his roots? Obviously not proud enough, he still declared for England.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Extremely proud of his roots? Obviously not proud enough, he still declared for England.:pac:

He was too intimadated at the thought of competing with alan kernaghan for a centre hal fspot that he took easy option with england

****ing disgusting what he did to RVN that day, stoked up the fire for few more seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

****ing disgusting what he did to RVN that day, stoked up the fire for few more seasons.

Very. Absolutely scummy behaviour.

KH25 wrote: »
    Very. Absolutely scummy behaviour.

I would not mind but it was Forlan fouled in the box to win the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Useless stat but Moyes has only gotten the better of Wenger 3 times since 2002, with Wenger winning 14 times.

Hopefully that starts to shift at United, starting on Sunday of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Useless stat but Moyes has only gotten the better of Wenger 3 times since 2002, with Wenger winning 14 times.

Hopefully that starts to shift at United, starting on Sunday of course.

I remember after the OT fixture against Arsenal last season. I was actually annoyed we only beat them by one, such was our dominance. I remember saying after that beating Arsenal is just 'meh' these day. We've done it so often recently. Two things to glean from that.

1) Maybe we shouldn't be so apprehensive going into Saturday.
    2) Things may not be our usual sunshine and roses, but so much can change in football in as little time as a year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement