Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bullvine wrote: »
    True but hes old, we can let him away with it!

All that coke wouldn't have helped too i'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

New article on Mickey Phelan...some interesting bits highlighted.
    Mike Phelan was one half of a footballing double act that helped shape the history of United and the Premier League.
    Now Phelan is going solo after his partner, Sir Alex Ferguson, took his final curtain call at the end of last season.
    And while Ferguson joked his Manager of the Year and Lifetime Achievement accolades at the Northwest Football Awards earlier this week would be his last, Phelan, 51, hopes he has plenty more trophies left in him.
    And it’s not only the former Old Trafford chief lifting the lid in the pages of his new autobiography.

The one-time Burnley and Norwich City favourite isn’t spilling secrets in print just yet. But he’s revealed for the first time how Ferguson resolved difficult decision-making and how stressful it was being the firebrand Scot’s number two.
    However, the mutual respect between the pair is evident and Phelan will have no problem calling his old gaffer for advice if and when future job opportunities crop up.
    And Phelan confirmed to M.E.N. Sport he wants to return to management or coaching.
    “It’s one of those books you are happy not to be in,” said Phelan when the subject of Fergie’s latest autobiography was raised.
    “Part of my job was to hold him back because he could come out with some very strange decisions at times,” he admitted. “I had to guide him through them and I managed to do that at times.
    “And he probably wasn’t the only manager to toss a coin to pick a player to leave them out!

“It is one of the hardest things for a manager to say to a player that they are not involved in a particular game after they have done a hard week’s training.
    “But he would toss a coin at times in situations like that. Big managers have to make big decisions and over a period of more than 20 years he made more right decisions than he did wrong ones.

“Now he has retired and you look back, he probably worked us a lot harder in that last season. But every season he was the same.
    “He would try and regenerate everyone and would lead from the front. But he would also give you an opportunity to do the work which was great.
    “I am sure the players will say similar things because he did help in their careers. Sir Alex always liked to deal with a young element because of the drive and youth they brought to football.
    “He changed the side three or four times while he was there and was always looking to break new ground and create new opportunities for people. That was a credit to him.”
    Ferguson won 13 Premier League titles, five FA Cups, four League Cups and two Champions League trophies during his 26 years at Old Trafford.

As a player, Phelan lifted the League Cup, FA Cup and European Cup Winners’ Cup with United. He also won a Premier League title in 1993.
    A move to West Brom followed in 1994 and a year later he took his first coaching job alongside Gary Megson at Norwich. The two men worked in tandem as well at Stockport before Megson’s departure hastened his own exit.

In 1999, Phelan took up a role with United’s Centre of Excellence, he was upgraded to first team coach in 2001 and eventually to assistant manager after Carlos Queiroz’s departure in 2008.
    Together with Ferguson, he won six Premier League titles, an FA Cup, two League Cups, a World Club Challenge and the Champions League in 2008.
    Asked if there would ever be a more successful manager, Phelan added: “I am sure there will be a lot more quality managers out there doing things their own way.
    “We want them to do it their own way. We don’t want too many Alex Fergusons around!
    “I had many years with him and he can grind you down – as you can tell by my lack of hair! Seriously, he is a well-rounded man. I don’t need to blow his trumpet.”
    Phelan says he’s ‘very relaxed and chilled’ in his temporary retirement.
    “It suits me well. It’s nice to see football from a different perspective and not just from a Red one,” he added.
    “It is only when I get involved in the surroundings of football and football talk that I really start to get the itch.
    “I am a football person,” said the former England international who made his league debut for Burnley in 1981 and who joined United on the same July day in 1989 as Neil Webb
    “I spent all my life in football since I left school. So, ideally, you want to be involved in it in some capacity.
    “I want to get back in the game but I also understand the level I have been at has been very high.
    “I have to get my head around the opportunities that are out there for me and that is maybe in the Championship or below.”
    And he’s convincing when he says: “I have never been egotistical. I am happy doing what I have been doing.
    “My experiences have been fantastic and if I can bring that to another football club, whether it is in management, coaching, youth development, then I am proud enough to take that on board.
    “There have been little bits of chat here and there from clubs but nothing of any substance,” he says of reports linking him to the vacant manager’s job at Middlesbrough. “I haven’t been out there promoting myself as yet.

“Eventually that will be my aim – to get back in the game.”

i guess tossing the coin came in games such as the city league decider when he went with park for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anyone going for pints after? Will be hitting the Brew Dock at Busaras luas stop for a few.

Do you do extract brews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

RasTa wrote: »
    Do you do extract brews?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

i guess tossing the coin came in games such as the city league decider when he went with park for instance.

You could also guess it came in games during the 13 Premier League, five FA Cup, four League Cup and two Champions League winning seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

You could also guess it came in games during the 13 Premier League, five FA Cup, four League Cup and two Champions League winning seasons.

what exactly are you trying to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Checkout Paul Merson's prediction for Sundays match on Sky Sports. How an Arsenal man can be so biased.

he was probably locked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

scudzilla wrote: »
    he was probably locked
    HA HA because he is an alcoholic HA HA!!
    Checkout Paul Merson's prediction for Sundays match on Sky Sports. How an Arsenal man can be so biased.
    While I actually think United will get at least a draw I don't think it his prediction is that outrageous. I think he has been pretty down on Arsenal in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I agree with the above poster. Paul Merson has never been afraid to speak about how poor Arsenal can be and how he feels they won't get a result.

It's a bit narrow-minded to see an Arsenal fan predict such a result and then label him bias for that reason. It's almost forcing him to predict United to win. Does that change if Arsenal do win comprehensively?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Jokes about his alcoholism because you disagree with his opinion are a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I agree with the above poster. Paul Merson has never been afraid to speak about how poor Arsenal can be and how he feels they won't get a result.

It's a bit narrow-minded to see an Arsenal fan predict such a result and then label him bias for that reason. It's almost forcing him to predict United to win. Does that change if Arsenal do win comprehensively?

Id say it's more the 'Arsenal to win 3-1 and it's honestly the easiest selection of the week' that people are laughing at. Easier than City to beat Sunderland, or Liverpool to beat Fulham say? When you consider Arsenal's pathetic recent record at OT it makes it very baffling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It's not wholly thorough but anytime I've been on skysports looking at predictions he has backed arsenal.

RasTa wrote: »
    Do you do extract brews?

Am I missing the significance here? I sense an in joke, as in in since I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Merson must be all over the 23/10 offered on Arsenal so.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Id say it's more the 'Arsenal to win 3-1 and it's honestly the easiest selection of the week' that people are laughing at. Easier than City to beat Sunderland, or Liverpool to beat Fulham say? When you consider Arsenal's pathetic recent record at OT it makes it very baffling
    Fair enough, Merson definitely isn't above overstating it for attention. Sunderland have actually won three in a row at home against City and Fulham have something like two wins out of four at Anfield so heres hoping for a few upsets this weekend.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, Merson definitely isn't above overstating it for attention. Sunderland have actually won three in a row at home against City and Fulham have something like two wins out of four at Anfield so heres hoping for a few upsets this weekend.

Arsenals record at old Trafford isnt the best either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Exactly the opposite of what you are trying to say. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have been all over the 5/4 on United since Wednesday, will put a bit more on before the game I think. Cant say I have a rational reason for it, you could talk about the mental block they have with OT lately, the knack United have of pulling it out of the bag against them and all that but I just have a gut feeling United will win.

Could be mis guided optimism of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

kryogen wrote: »
    I have been all over the 5/4 on United since Wednesday, will put a bit more on before the game I think. Cant say I have a rational reason for it, you could talk about the mental block they have with OT lately, the knack United have of pulling it out of the bag against them and all that but I just have a gut feeling United will win.

I had that exact feeling before the City game and look where that got me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Nothing wrong with being optimistic, it's when you think 'right we can do these fookers' and then seeing the team sheet which drains your optimism which now apparently can be attributed to coin tosses... :D

It's always safer to wait until the team sheet is announced before gambling/giving your money away. :)

Do i feel confident ? Not really considering how we are playing, can we beat them ? Of course, they are playing well but it's Arsenal. :pac:

• Advertisement

Tbh anytime United are over evens at home I think its a pretty good bet no matter who it is against.

You would have made a tidy profit had you backed United blind in every home game at best price since 2004(from what I record).

Im off Monday too. Going for pints with few lads Sunday. Hope its good hangover Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

My guess is he's trying to say using the coin toss to make a decision could easily have been done in matches we have won too. There's a chance if Fergie did use this strategy that we didn't lose every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Last post till Tuesday off too the game in the morning! Let's have a bitta faith lads! fergie said back moyes & the players and let's do that. I'm going with 2-1 RVP too get the winner! COME ON UNITED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Just having a look at the Arsenal thread, found this quite funny:
    Rooney and Van Persie would get in to our side, chicarito the squad, nobody else though.
    I'd take Kagawa as a backup for our backups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I honestly think we'll get close to 13/8 before kickoff. Which will certainly be too big and a good bet.
    Tbh anytime United are over evens at home I think its a pretty good bet no matter who it is against.

You would have made a tidy profit had you backed United blind in every home game at best price since 2004(from what I record).

If you backed them at betfair sp in every premiership match since 2007 you'd be up 9% on total stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I wish ya luck man. I'm not optimistic myself. Hopeful though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Arsenal are overrated. Every year one team gets massive hype and it's usually Chelsea but this year it's Arsenal. They may well win in Sunday buts that's because we aren't exactly great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Irish94 wrote: »
    Just having a look at the Arsenal thread, found this quite funny:

Well there's your first problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

How much have you put on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

ronjo wrote: »

You never ask a man how much he put on a bet. Like asking a bird how old she is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What difference does it make to you?

Not being smart, just I very rarely divulge amounts bet/won/lost. I will use the terms, have a nibble, went big etc instead, dunno why really. Something to do with my upbringing I think and how talking about money in business/gambling is vulgar :D

Edit: Actually yeah, what Niallo said, best of luck if you got to read this post before the edit though then you would know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

What difference does it make to you?

Not being smart, just I very rarely divulge amounts bet/won/lost. I will use the terms, have a nibble, went big etc instead, dunno why really. Something to do with my upbringing I think and how talking about money in business/gambling is vulgar :D

Edit: Actually yeah, what Niallo said, best of luck if you got to read this post before the edit though then you would know!

Fair enough.
    All I will say is that I hope you lose your shirt on this game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

How much do you earn a year and how big is your pencil case? :)

1 billion dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Fair enough.
    All I will say is that I hope you lose your shirt on this game ;)

Strip Poker on Boards, must be a new thing but each to their own.

Strip Poker on Boards, must be a new thing but each to their own.

Mrs Crinklewood want to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

1 billion dollars.

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Whatever happens tomorrow, Moyes better play an attacking team. Thankfully Welbeck is out so he can't play and do a job™ (whatever that means).

Van Persie, Rooney, Januzaj, Nani and Kagawa. Play four out of those five and go all out attack.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Whatever happens tomorrow, Moyes better play an attacking team. Thankfully Welbeck is out so he can't play and do a job™ (whatever that means).

Van Persie, Rooney, Januzaj, Nani and Kagawa. Play four out of those five and go all out attack.

So when we lose. We'll lose 8-9 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Does Nani usually play well against Arsenal ? Or am i dreaming?
    Potential starter tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Timmyctc wrote: »
    So when we lose. We'll lose 8-9 :pac:
    At least it would be better than the mind-numbing stuff we've seen recently.
    Does Nani usually play well against Arsenal ? Or am i dreaming?
    Potential starter tomorrow?

He's had some good performances against them but it's Nani, so you never know what you're going to get really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

nani-vs-arsenal-o.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I honest to God don't mind a loss tomorrow IF we look like we're trying and care. None of this damage limitation nonsense. A 1-0 loss using defensive tactics will annoy me more than a thrashing we get when we go for it and fail.

Come on West Brom

Ps Pochetino is some manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Forget Young,let's direct our ire at Ramires.The penalty he 'won' got Chelsea out of jail today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Chelsea drop 2 points neway. A win 2mro now and we are right back in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Nolars wrote: »
    Chelsea drop 2 points neway. A win 2mro now and we are right back in it.

Shoulda been 3

I wonder if there will be a thread on the darkest day for the league

8 mins added time? Was there a mssive injury in the game?

never-a-pen.gif

Another hat-trick for Ronaldo today.........Dear Santa,bring him back to us please.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement