Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

West Brom will be furious worse then Youngs dive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Nolars wrote: »
    West Brom will be furious worse then Youngs dive :eek:

It's certainly a dive, he runs into the defender looking to fall over. He just does it less obviously than young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Mrs Crinklewood want to play?

You'd be better off slitting open a sack of potatoes, they kinda look the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Shoulda been 3

I wonder if there will be a thread on the darkest day for the league

Hopefully no Utd fan are that childish or obsessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

bad2dabone wrote: »
    It's certainly a dive, he runs into the defender looking to fall over. He just does it less obviously than young.

It doesn't look like a dive, he certainly went down easy but there was contact, regardless, it was never a peno. Shocking call, something needs to be done about the quality of the refs in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Tall ask, but if we managed to win our remaining 4 matches this month (Arsenal home, Cardiff Leverkusen and Spurs away) we would be in good shape in the league, qualify top of our champions league group, and go into the xmas period with a much handier set of fixtures then all our rivals.

I normally try not to over-hype matches in the first half of the season, but can't help but feel tomorrow could be a game with huge implications for the remainder of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I normally try not to over-hype matches in the first half of the season, but can't help but feel tomorrow could be a game with huge implications for the remainder of the year.

indeed, its the biggest game in a long long time for this club and the biggest of David Moyes career IMO. we win tomorrow and it finally announces his arrival and kick starts his United career. we lose and the chances of us winning the league are gone and we are staring at going into the spurs in a big mess.

defeat is not an option, but it is very very possible.

seems to be a good few going from here, enjoy it everybody. theres a good group of us meeting in manchester city center for a few pints before hand if anybody wants to join us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

1 point from Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Arsenal would be bad for even Everton.

I hope Moyes goes for it. If we go out for a draw I've no doubt they'll beat us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anybody have plans to go to away game during the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its a month until christmas and people are ruling Utds chances of a league title if they lose tomorrow. ?

Anything can happen between now and end of season.
    A loss tomorrow doesnt rule Utd out imo.

• Advertisement

Its a month until christmas and people are ruling Utds chances of a league title if they lose tomorrow. ?

Anything can happen between now and end of season.
    A loss tomorrow doesnt rule Utd out imo.

i think the vast vast majority of football people who agree that if United lose tomorrow, the chances of us winning the league would be as low as its been in many many years at this stage of the season, probably since 1990 to be honest. we are currently 15/2 to win the league, i can see that going out to 10/1 at least if we lose and that would be a true reflection of what people think of our chances.

11 points behind, playing s*it, spurs and everton to come and a tricky game away to cardiff. it would take a miraculous collapse (or an injury to Ozil) for us to catch them. lets not forget also, almost 1/3 of the season will be gone after tomorrow, and we are not playing well enough to recover IMO.

get real FFS.

Lose tomorrow and its bye bye PL.

TBH I think we seriously have to win. Even a draw really puts us on back foot still.

Getting 3 points would make a statement. Its a huge game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i think the vast vast majority of football people who agree that if United lose tomorrow, the chances of us winning the league would be as low as its been in many many years at this stage of the season, probably since 1990 to be honest. we are currently 15/2 to win the league, i can see that going out to 10/1 at least if we lose and that would be a true reflection of what people think of our chances.

11 points behind, playing s*it, spurs and everton to come and a tricky game away to cardiff. it would take a miraculous collapse (or an injury to Ozil) for us to catch them. lets not forget also, almost 1/3 of the season will be gone after tomorrow, and we are not playing well enough to recover IMO.

get real FFS.

So do you think Southampton will qualify for Champions league?
    You think Arsenal will win it outright?
    11 points seems alot, but not when the season is only 1/3 gone!! Still to play each team again... Look at west brom nearly beating chelsea today. Alot can happen in football and any 'football person' knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

We did drop an 8 point league with a fairly easy set of fixtures ahead of us

Arsenal will undoubtedly have setbacks at some points during the season.

thing is though Chelsea, City will also be ahead of us.

its not just Arsenal we have to worry about.

So do you think Southampton will qualify for Champions league?
    You think Arsenal will win it outright?
    11 points seems alot, but not when the season is only 1/3 gone!! Still to play each team again... Look at west brom nearly beating chelsea today. Alot can happen in football and any 'football person' knows that.

just to put things into perspective, if we dont win tomorrow, we are 1/3 of the way through the league season and 4 of our 5 wins have come against 4 sides in the bottom 5. thats not league winning form, thats the form of a top team in serious poor form and its the form that Everton used to have under Moyes also.

if ferguson was over the team and/or we had invested properly in pre season, then id still fancy us to get back in it, but im being realistic.

anyway, i hope the fans get behind the team fully tomorrow until the final whistle and we get the right result - our season depends on it IMO.

I say the atmosphere will be very good tomorrow.

United fans really get behind the team when chips are down. Its why we are different. I really cant wait for tomorrow. It feels like Cup Final to me.

I say the atmosphere will be very good tomorrow.

United fans really get behind the team when chips are down. Its why we are different.

exactly, the one positive thing about this season has been the performance of our fans, aside from the treatment of Nani.

our fans have been excellent and i think Moyes knows that.
    I really cant wait for tomorrow. It feels like Cup Final to me.

ive been to about 100 games in the past 3 or 4 years and i cant remember being this apprehensive, yet excited about a game in this period. i seriously think some United fans are under estimating its importance. its potentially an era defining game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

exactly, the one positive thing about this season has been the performance of our fans, aside from the treatment of Nani.

our fans have been excellent and i think Moyes knows that.

ive been to about 100 games in the past 3 or 4 years and i cant remember being this apprehensive, yet excited about a game in this period. i seriously think some United fans are under estimating its importance. its potentially an era defining game.

Biggest game of moyes career tomorrow. Win tomorrow and he can lay down a marker and say " im the man for the long haul"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

n32 wrote: »
    Biggest game of moyes career tomorrow. Win tomorrow and he can lay down a marker and say " im the man for the long haul"

No-one replace that word :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Carrick & Rafael for late fitness tests according to Physioroom. Hope they make it, they'll be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

i seriously think some United fans are under estimating its importance. its potentially an era defining game.
    Job done, nothing more. Next 4 games will define our season.
    from here until the Everton game defines our season and dare i say it, Moyes united Career. on current form, i can see us dropping points in 3, probably 4 of these games and if we do, our chances of winning the league are gone and finishing in the top 4 gets slimmer and slimmer.
    the Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and Villa games will define him IMO
    today is the start of a 6 week period that will define Moyes era at United, its time that he either sinks or swims.

I really don't think a 5 or 6 week spell is going to define a potential 5 or 6 year contract.

n32 wrote: »
    Biggest game of Moyes career tomorrow. Win tomorrow and he can lay down a marker and say " I'm the man for the long haul"

All these posts about how big a game it is I can see a drab 0-0 tomorrow now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal will undoubtedly have setbacks at some points during the season.

Take it from an Arsenal fan who knows.

If you're 11 points behind in November with 3 or so teams with comparable or better squads ahead of you, it's not your year for the title.

As someone said, catching Arsenal isn't the biggest problem.

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    All these posts about how big a game it is I can see a drag 0-0 tomorrow now :P

Bag of cash on a 0-0 draw!

gosplan wrote: »
    Take it from an Arsenal fan who knows.

If you're 11 points behind in November with 3 or so teams with comparable or better squads ahead of you, it's not your year for the title.

As someone said, catching Arsenal isn't the biggest problem.

11 points in November is nothing if City managed to overturn 8 points with only a handful of games left.

11 points in November is nothing if City managed to overturn 8 points with only a handful of games left.

Nobody will run away with it this year. The gap between the top 6 and the rest has narrowed bjg time. Likes of wba southampton newcastle villa cardiff etc have all upset the big teams already this season so no such thing as a done deal this year

IrishIrish wrote: »
    I really don't think a 5 or 6 week spell is going to define a potential 5 or 6 year contract.

:confused::confused::confused::confused: his length of contract is irrelevant if he doesn't produce the results. tomorrow and the games the follow will be a massive part in if he gets the time he may need to rebuild this club or not.

i guess we will know more by this time tomorrow night and around the 10th of december to be more precise.

:confused::confused::confused::confused: his length of contract is irrelevant if he doesn't produce the results. tomorrow and the games the follow will be a massive part in if he gets the time he may need to rebuild this club or not.

i guess we will know more by this time tomorrow night and around the 10th of december to be more precise.

The club wont sack him this season if they made a point of giving him such a long contract and Fergie is still a director at the club after having basically appointed Moyes himself. They'll give him (and rightly so) at least one proper Transfer window as manager of the club

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

EDIT: :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

The club wont sack him this season if they made a point of giving him such a long contract and Fergie is still a director at the club after having basically appointed Moyes himself. They'll give him (and rightly so) at least one proper Transfer window as manager of the club

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Even if CL is missed out on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There's no way he gets the sack this summer, I'd bet my first born on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

This period may become important if it all goes tits up from her on in and we end up relegated, as in people may say "that's where it all went wrong", but any number of other scenarios could equally occur so there's no point trying to second guess them. I think the previous poster was trying to say that there's no need to get overly worked up and hype the game more than it is already.

Yes it is a big game, yes we are all looking forward to it and hoping for a united win, but supposing it may have some extra significance down the line is a futile exercise. I'd much prefer to reserve judgement on the game until after it has actually been played.

Moyes should not be at the club next season, unless there is a big improvement. at the current rate of going, we wont reach the top 4 and our results and football are not at the level required for this club.

its up to him to get the finger out and start winning the big games and not rely on beaten the fodder in the league.

a win tomorrow however, will go a long way to convincing fans he is the man for the job and start showing the millions of fans who dont think he is up to the job, that he might be.

i fully support him still, but as ive always said, id reserve full judgement until around the 10th of december. however, if are are going into March/April and struggling for 4th place, i will be joining the list of people calling for him to be removed during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

There's no way he gets the sack this summer, I'd bet my first born on it.

Poor Maximus junior never had a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I think the point being made isn't that the gap is insurmountable, but rather that any team that's 11 points off at this stage, with a squad that doesn't quite match up to the teams ahead of it, probably isn't capable of winning the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think the point being made isn't that the gap is insurmountable, but rather that any team that's 11 points off at this stage, with a squad that doesn't quite match up to the teams ahead of it, probably isn't capable of winning the title.

The squad matches up fine. It was good enough to win the league last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Champions plus 28 million spent by Moyes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Moyes should not be at the club next season, unless there is a big improvement. at the current rate of going, we wont reach the top 4 and our results and football are not at the level required for this club.

its up to him to get the finger out and start winning the big games and not rely on beaten the fodder in the league.

a win tomorrow however, will go a long way to convincing fans he is the man for the job and start showing the millions of fans who dont think he is up to the job, that he might be.

i fully support him still, but as ive always said, id reserve full judgement until around the 10th of december. however, if are are going into March/April and struggling for 4th place, i will be joining the list of people calling for him to be removed during the summer.

Tomorrow will not define Moyes utd career or an era as you have previously posted
    Moyes will be in charge again next season.
    Millions of fans thinking hes not up to the job ? Ye fans need to stop throwing toys out of thepram. We have no divine right to win the league every year. We have a lot of average players who fergie won the league with last year and failed to win it with the year before. If chelsea fans were calling for jose to be sacked after this season we would be laughing at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Last year the premiership over all was poor imo, this year the game has bigger better players and a lot of managerial chopping and changing.

We still should be doing better but the league is a completely different beast this season

• Advertisement

The squad is nowhere near fine, 3 or 4 players who aren't good enough need to be cut loose and 3 world class players need to be brought in.

Then the squad will be fine, but we're far off that at the minute.

The squad is nowhere near fine, 3 or 4 players who aren't good enough need to be cut loose and 3 world class players need to be brought in.

Then the squad will be fine, but we're far off that at the minute.

I have to agree here.

But its been like this for past 3 seasons now.

Moyes has take a bit of blame, but in no way can any fan point the finger at him for most of whats going on.

I have to agree here.

But its been like this for past 3 seasons now.

Moyes has take a bit of blame, but in no way can any fan point the finger at him for most of whats going on.

Yeah it would be stupid to blame him.

It's clear now that the team has been rotting away for a few seasons, maybe Fergie didn't see this because he won the league or maybe he did and thought Moyes had enough time in one transfer window to fix it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, I don't think many saw the extent of it back then other than the midfield.

That said if we had gotten Fabregas, Fellaini and Bale in the summer it would be different, we bid for them all and only one was successful. So it looks like Moyes knows what's needed.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Ye fans need to stop throwing toys out of thepram. We have no divine right to win the league every year.

nobody said we do, so stop making up bulls to suit an agenda. we do have a right however to have the best people at the club.

speaking of divine rights....moyes should not have them either, just for the sake of it. he has to earn it and deserve the job and its about time he started doing it.
    Robson99 wrote: »
    If chelsea fans were calling for jose to be sacked after this season we would be laughing at them

first thing is this wont happen, as he has prooven many times to be a world class manager.
    2nd thing is in the Moyes would not have got the Chelsea job or any other big job for that matter - since Ranieri got the boot, they have had 9 different managers and Moyes never came into it.

anyway, we are gone off topic now. we all hope we win tomorrow, its a huge game and if we win it, it could be the start of something great for Moyes.

lets not even contemplate losing for now.

There are a lot of reasons why I want a win tomorrow but one is to take some Arsenal fans' heads out of their own derrière. Especially Mr Piers Morgan.

@rioferdy5: @piersmorgan I 8 2 break it to u but I'm seeing another win for us #mufc pick ya chops up #LoadsOfChins aka #MrsDoubtfire !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We won the league last year due to the crapness of the other challengers not due to our scintillating play.

Dead wood needs to move on & new blood of a world class standard brought in to drive us on up the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There are a lot of reasons why I want a win tomorrow but one is to take some Arsenal fans' heads out of their own derrière. Especially Mr Piers Morgan.

@rioferdy5: @piersmorgan I 8 2 break it to u but I'm seeing another win for us #mufc pick ya chops up #LoadsOfChins aka #MrsDoubtfire !

First Rooney, now Rio. Hopefully they can back up all that talk tomorrow.

Yep the players need to play their hearts out tomorrow and justify the confidence or else they'll look like right mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I really am looking forward to this!

• Advertisement

Love Nev and Scholes at the end. "Do ye remember ye used to play atall?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement