Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Would love a bit of Fletchageddon tomorrow. What we wouldn't do for a bit of his fight in a match like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Would love a bit of Fletchageddon tomorrow. What we wouldn't do for a bit of his fight in a match like this.

Never know, he might be on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Never know, he might be on the bench.

No chance...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No chance...
    Well, no, there's not no chance. It's extremely unlikely, but it's not impossible, especially if Carrick and Cleverley are injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Champions plus 28 million spent by Moyes
    I'd argue that that 28 million didn't improve the squad at all.
    The squad matches up fine. It was good enough to win the league last year.

And Chelsea, Arsenal and City have added some excellent additions to their squads since then, while some of your key players are a year older, and not in a good way (Rio, Vidic, Giggs, Evra, RVP, are all at the stage when each additional year is more likely to hurt than help). In addition, I'd argue that City definitely and Chelsea possibly had better squad than Utd, even before the summer, and that you're missing a Fergie from that title winning outfit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

He played another U21 match very recently so its not that unlikely.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Don't know if it's been mentioned (if so, sorry!), but you guys had a scout at Valenciennes vs Montpellier yesterday to watch Cabella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Moyes should not be at the club next season, unless there is a big improvement. at the current rate of going, we wont reach the top 4 and our results and football are not at the level required for this club.

its up to him to get the finger out and start winning the big games and not rely on beaten the fodder in the league.

a win tomorrow however, will go a long way to convincing fans he is the man for the job and start showing the millions of fans who dont think he is up to the job, that he might be.

i fully support him still, but as ive always said, id reserve full judgement until around the 10th of december. however, if are are going into March/April and struggling for 4th place, i will be joining the list of people calling for him to be removed during the summer.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Moyes should have gone to the world class player tree and plucked a few in the Summer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Liam O wrote: »
    Moyes should have gone to the world class player tree and plucked a few in the Summer imo.

januzaj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned (if so, sorry!), but you guys had a scout at Valenciennes vs Montpellier yesterday to watch Cabella.

Utd were also watching William Carvallho as well yesterday, he seems the Utd type

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Paul Scholes is now playing Dads V lads games according to David Taylor of the Guardian;
    Scholes? He now restricts himself to the occasional dads-v-lads match at Stalybridge Celtic. Pretty well, too, judging by one account of him spotting his mates drinking in the stand, then pinging the ball 25 yards, inch-perfect, to spill their pints. "Beer everywhere."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Paul Scholes is now playing Dads V lads games according to David Taylor of the Guardian;

Hate to be the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

How does a pool fan know this and I dont! Btw I wish more fans (of all teams) where like yourself, you are def not a militant fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well the match thread went down quickly.

bloody hell im already wounding myself for the game.

Only 5hours away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had a weird dream last night....for some reason about the match today

I havn't been scared for us in a fixture in a long time :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well the match thread went down quickly

And a Liverpool fan of all people to send it into a nosedive. Who'd have thought it?
    Certainly not me. I always thought it was us that was obsessed with them :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

TheDoc wrote: »
    Had a weird dream last night....for some reason about the match today

I havn't been scared for us in a fixture in a long time :O

I had a dream about it too, this match is affecting us all. Ended 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Kilkenny14 wrote: »

Wasn't that last summer?

And Chelsea, Arsenal and City have added some excellent additions to their squads since then, while some of your key players are a year older, and not in a good way (Rio, Vidic, Giggs, Evra, RVP, are all at the stage when each additional year is more likely to hurt than help). In addition, I'd argue that City definitely and Chelsea possibly had better squad than Utd, even before the summer, and that you're missing a Fergie from that title winning outfit.

You've confused yourself a bit here. The first post suggested that United would struggle to make up 11 points on a team with a better squad. I'd agree, if that team was City and maybe Chelsea. Neither of those will be 11 points clear after today, though.

The team that will be 11 points clear if they win today are Arsenal, and I believe that our squad measures up fine to theirs. In fact, I believe that ours is better. The difference is current form. 11 points is tough to make up in any season, but it won't be the difference in squad quality between Arsenal and United that prevents it from happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Whenever Rooney's mouthed off it's come back to bite us in a big way it seems to me. Crowing about "a footballing lesson" after the Community Shield win against City, then the 1-6 happened a few months after it. Going on about how much he hated Liverpool, then the 1-4 happened. "Let's see where they are in the spring" and "They must be sick of the sight of me" ahead of today. What'll follow it...?

You've confused yourself a bit here. The first post suggested that United would struggle to make up 11 points on a team with a better squad. I'd agree, if that team was City and maybe Chelsea. Neither of those will be 11 points clear after today, though.

The team that will be 11 points clear if they win today are Arsenal, and I believe that our squad measures up fine to theirs. In fact, I believe that ours is better. The difference is current form. 11 points is tough to make up in any season, but it won't be the difference in squad quality between Arsenal and United that prevents it from happening.
    I haven't confused myself. Slightly arrogant of you to suggest that :confused:

I think our squad is better. Our midfield depth is amazing, and our striker is almost never injured. Our defence is also very strong, and in both full back positions we're well stocked. CB is a slight worry, but Sagna has done an excellent job deputising there.

Utd's midfield is (comparatively) very weak, and their defence is not as good either.

I don't want to draw out this discussion, as I don't think it would go anywhere, but if you disagree, that's fine, you're entitled to.

Whenever Rooney's mouthed off it's come back to bite us in a big way it seems to me. Crowing about "a footballing lesson" after the Community Shield win against City, then the 1-6 happened a few months after it. Going on about how much he hated Liverpool, then the 1-4 happened. "Let's see where they are in the spring" and "They must be sick of the sight of me" ahead of today. What'll follow it...?
    Hopefully they're even sicker at the sight of him :pac:

I think our squad is better. Our midfield depth is amazing, and our striker is almost never injured. Our defence is also very strong, and in both full back positions we're well stocked. CB is a slight worry, but Sagna has done an excellent job deputising there.

Utd's midfield is (comparatively) very weak, and their defence is not as good either.

I don't want to draw out this discussion, as I don't think it would go anywhere, but if you disagree, that's fine, you're entitled to.

Have to say. United Defence is as good and they have a better strike force however a vastly inferior midfield (Our GK is better too) It all weighs out rather evenly. I'd say united would shade it.

Vida is better than any defender at Arsenal. Raf and Sagna are close for RB Evra is a better LB than Gibbs. Evans is probably as good as Mertesacker. Jones, Smalling and Rio Ferdinand to deputise in Cb leaves our Defense well stocked.
    Rooney and RvP and Hernandez better than any striking option Arsenal Have. Ozil is lightyears ahead of Kagawa and we wont even get into comparing Ramsey and Cleverly :( Carrick had a bit of bad form but I'd say he is better than Arteta or whomever sits deep for Arsenal. Cazorla better than all our wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We're already underdogs we don't need this supernatural comeuppance you're talking about to make it even worse

:o

Your squad is last year's squad plus Ozil and Flamini. 16 points behind last year. 5 months since we won that league. 10 games into a new season and suddenly that squad is better than last year's league winners with only one really big signing. Surely you would concede that it might be possible that United's squad may be pretty good but under-performing? That's my read of this situation.

You give City and Chelsea the benefit of the doubt for last season and suggest that they under-performed. Any chance that Arsenal's squad may be performing to its potential and United's isn't? Because this is an objective discussion about quality, not form over 10 games.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Have to say. United Defence is as good and they have a better strike force however a vastly inferior midfield (Our GK is better too) It all weighs out rather evenly. I'd say united would shade it.

Vida is better than any defender at Arsenal. Raf and Sagna are close for RB Evra is a better LB than Gibbs. Evans is probably as good as Mertesacker. Jones, Smalling and Rio Ferdinand to deputise in Cb leaves our Defense well stocked.
    Rooney and RvP and Hernandez better than any striking option Arsenal Have. Ozil is lightyears ahead of Kagawa and we wont even get into comparing Ramsey and Cleverly :( Carrick had a bit of bad form but I'd say he is better than Arteta or whomever sits deep for Arsenal. Cazorla better than all our wingers.

But this is it. Ramsey didn't look light years ahead of Cleverley last year. He is one of the biggest surprises of the season. I remember when I saw him play against United last year and I felt bad for him because he looked like the injury had set him back irrevocably. He has been absolutely wonderful this year and long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Nerves :(

Your squad is last year's squad plus Ozil and Flamini. 16 points behind last year. 5 months since we won that league. 10 games into a new season and suddenly that squad is better than last year's league winners with only one really big signing. Surely you would concede that it might be possible that United's squad may be pretty good but under-performing? That's my read of this situation.

You give City and Chelsea the benefit of the doubt for last season and suggest that they under-performed. Any chance that Arsenal's squad may be performing to its potential and United's isn't? Because this is an objective discussion about quality, not form over 10 games.
    I would concede that it's possible, but I don't agree that it is the case.

Arsenal's form stretches back a lot further than 10 games, though. They've been the form team in the league all this year, including pre-Flamini/Ozil. In addition, Ramsey has improved so much that it's unreasonable not to count him as an improvement IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kagawa just got a big chance today to show us what he can do. Be nice to deliver.

Happy enough with the lineup. Steely midfield. Jones does a solid man marking job so assume he will be all over Ozil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Watching Navas out wide City makes me sad. Every one of his crosses gets into the Sunderland box. We're lucky to beat the first man.

This is nail biting stuff in the Citeh game

EDIT: Good to see Wes Brown back. Playing a blinder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Two former United boys really doing the business for us at the moment!

Two former United boys really doing the business for us at the moment!

Brown MOTM. Awful free kick decision there

EDIT:
    YEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Agents Brown, Bardsley and O'Shea. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

City and Chelsea drop points then.

How I wish we weren't playing Arsenal. A win will really mean so, so much today.

The dizzy heights of 5th place beckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Wesley Brown, take a bow. This is going to be a great weekend for whoever wins now. We win and we're back in with a shout, Arsenal win and they're in a fantastic position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

A win today puts United 5th, it would be huge in getting the season on track. I'll be behind the couch for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Hope we can follow up some of these results with a win of our own. We'd be right back in the mix if we get 3 points!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Massive result for us. Let's just ignore the 45 minutes of negativity and appreciate we've had a magnificent day both in terms of our results and others around us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Whooooo we're 5th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Outstanding stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What a 3 points that is. Delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Thought Jones was brilliant today in Cm & Cb. Good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Solid game, delighted with that win.

We were great until the forced change imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Absolutely massive result, even moreso with the other results this weekend. Puts Utd right back in the mix, and after the toughest start of all the top teams. Great for Moyes to get his first big league win as Utd manager, hopefully we push on from here. The league table looks alot better this evening than it has in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wayne Rooney!!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement