Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Considering we have had the toughest run of games of any team also things aint so bad.

Ya and City have now lost 4 games,Spurs have 3 lost,Arsenal,Pool and Chelsea all have 2 games lost while we have 3 so the picture is looking a bit better then it was a month ago.

As Moyes said the season will have ups and downs,hopefully today's win will give the team the confidence boost to push on now over the next month and into the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can anyone tell me where the youngfella they signed in the Summer is, Varela?

Is he at the club? Is he injured? You'd think he would have got a run out at some stage. My brother seen him in the Summer and said he looked great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

A League title this year would be the most surprising and satisfying title since Fergusons first.

I cant get too excited about todays result as its still awful to watch. Its been like that for years so at least I cant blame Moyes for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

GSPfan wrote: »

Is he at the club? Is he injured? You'd think he would have got a run out at some stage. My brother seen him in the Summer and said he looked great.

Plays with u21s/reserves.

Haven't seen him play tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

GSPfan wrote: »

He is a young guy, a punt, he has plenty ahead of him in the right back spot and he will need time to adapt to England. Potential there alright but Rafael is our right back, and not like he will need replacing any time soon (I hope)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Timmyctc wrote: »

EDIT: Just because I love him I'll include Pirlo's

I think every football fan has a Bromance with Pirlo. Its hard not to like him, actually I think its illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Great result. After the WBA/Soton games things weren't looking as well as they are now. Teams around Utd dropping points, so the "poor" start is now better than City's and should be better than Chelsea!

Jones was immense today, really worked very hard and tackled well.

RVP and Rooney very good, Rooney especially worked very hard. He's playing as good now as he has over the past few seasons.

Things looking fairly good, Top of CL group and with some different outcomes Utd could be joint top of PL and qualified in CL.
    Moyes will make a few changes to the squad IMO, possibly a couple of signings in January.

Also what do people think of the rumoured 7m and Zaha for Baines (presume it's a permanent Zaha deal??)
    That'd work out as a 22m transfer for Baines!

Ozil didn't look like he had much of a game! Nor the new golden boy Ramsey? Some seriously sloppy play by United at times but again, we won. That's what matters in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Michael Carrick ‏@carras16 9m
    Still can't sleep....
    Needed that win today. For a bad start we're not in bad shape.....

Well put Mickey!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

This was scary to see today. I hope De Gea's thigh is ok

ibiez5EDzOz6rF.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Özil's problem is that he's supplying Giroud and Bendtner, there was plenty of times today when he did something but you could see Giroud, with all of his good looks, just didn't have the same intelligence to connect, and someone like RVP would be in on goal.

Rooney put in a man of the match performance today, the work he did and also set up the goal, but other than that we didn't really create much else which is worrying. Thinking about it I wonder if Rooney up beside RVP with Kagawa in behind could be the way to go, with Evra and Valencia providing the width and a midfield 3. Rooney is at his best up top and that partnership could be on par, probably better, with Suarez and Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Özil's problem is that he's supplying Giroud and Bendtner, there was plenty of times today when he did something but you could see Giroud, with all of his good looks, just didn't have the same intelligence to connect, and someone like RVP would be in on goal.

Rooney put in a man of the match performance today, the work he did and also set up the goal, but other than that we didn't really create much else which is worrying. Thinking about it I wonder if Rooney up beside RVP with Kagawa in behind could be the way to go, with Evra and Valencia providing the width and a midfield 3. Rooney is at his best up top and that partnership could be on par, probably better, with Suarez and Sturridge.
    Would really like to see this tried.Would have Raf and Evra providing the width.Be interesting to see how it would pan out but don't think we have a good enough midfield for it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Great result. After the WBA/Soton games things weren't looking as well as they are now. Teams around Utd dropping points, so the "poor" start is now better than City's and should be better than Chelsea!

Jones was immense today, really worked very hard and tackled well.

RVP and Rooney very good, Rooney especially worked very hard. He's playing as good now as he has over the past few seasons.

Things looking fairly good, Top of CL group and with some different outcomes Utd could be joint top of PL and qualified in CL.
    Moyes will make a few changes to the squad IMO, possibly a couple of signings in January.

Also what do people think of the rumoured 7m and Zaha for Baines (presume it's a permanent Zaha deal??)
    That'd work out as a 22m transfer for Baines!

Can we just offer Anderson instead? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

How do you reckon Rooney feels about Moyes describing him as RVP's "sidekick"? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

How do you reckon Rooney feels about Moyes describing him as RVP's "sidekick"? :eek:

"Ehm, yeah, obviously I think, ehm, obviously, ehm I think. Yeah."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

When?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

When?

Today.
    And Moyes said: "Great players score great goals in big games and Robin's a great player. His sidekick [Rooney] played great as well.

Throwaway comment that will probably be made bigger then it is

Rooney was the side kick, in that he assisted RVP for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I presume its a quip on Robin being Batman's sidekick. Its a non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Imagine if we had bought Ozil and he was supplying our forwards. :eek:

Hope the Zaha deal is only a loan move. I would much prefer he stay a United player. We don't need Baines that badly. There are other options such as Coentrao.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Watching the Juve match here and I must say Pogba has just scored one of the best goals you will ever see. He is such a talent.

Not even the best goal of the match and no where near "one of the best goals you will ever see".

Yeah, he is some talent though, shame we lost him for nothing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

For me, we won't see Kagawa behind Rooney and RVP outside of him drifting into that position from his left sided starting position. Moyes likes a four man midfield with his wide players tucking in and making a narrow midfield cutting off space in midfield. Regadless of personnel changes I think he will stick with that set up in the future.

In possession Moyes will look to be less rigid, we see that with Kagawa and Januzaj already from the left but he likes the consistent positioning of Valencia on right which is a good balance overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was delighted we got the win yesterday, obviously, but the game still shows we need a lot of work to be a top side.

From memory the only real chances we created were the goal (a half chance really, at best), the rooney shot just wide and the terribly miss from Smalling, off a set piece. Very little creativity or spark from United. We got our goal and defended very well to hold on to the lead, but never looked like extending it.

Thought Rooney put in a stunning shift, but his lack of inventiveness on the ball shows in that play making role. Man of the Match performance regardless of that though - his constant running was fantastic, along with his desire and commitment to close down and hassle arsenal players.

Smalling and Jones were fantastic as well I though, Jones in both roles he was asked.

Great to go into the international week off the win - can only imagine how bad things would have felt if we had lost yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Me face.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Rooney wont be happy with Moyes comments .IMO.

It is like telling you that you are only the second best at work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Very happy with that !! For all that Arsenal were supposed to be just coming over to turn us over Utd i thought held them to a couple of half chances and on chances i thought Rooney and Smelling were more clear cut than theirs.

The performance i thought was great Arsenal are the form team with a great midfield and utd made that midfield look a little less than great. Best I've seen this year without looking outstanding. Fellaini i know only got a couple of minutes but got on the ball loads, a good player doesn't become a bad one overnight. I can remember a certain Roy Keane taking a little time to settle and look how he turned out. Pity the international break has come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If you read the whole article on the BBC, Wayne gets most of the praise from Moyes and its high praise indeed.
    If Rooneys nose is put out of place by one comment( and don't think it will) he's being way too precious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

savage win, really great day and delighted with that result. great atmosphere and its really pleasing to be back winning big league games, we aint won one of them in a long long time, think Liverpool 2-1 in January was the last one, since they we have lost to City, drew with Arsenal, lost to Chelsea, then drew with them, lost to Liverpool, lost to City.

Arsenal were poor, they had plenty of possession but did nothing with it, Ozil had perhaps his poorest game in a long long time and fair play to Moyes for that, he did his homework on Arsenal and it worked. it wasnt a great game, pretty poor in fact, but dont care about that, yesterday was all about the result.

any word on Vidic? he walked off a few yards in front of us and the entire right hand side of his face looked in bad shape.

hopefully this can kickstart our season now and we move on from here. things certainly look much better this morning than it did at around 4.30 during the stoke game 2 weeks ago! if we can get to January within 5 points of top and hopefully get another midfielder in, then we have a chance as once the middle of March comes, we have as good a run in as we have ever had.

get the f*ck in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes Moyes deserves credit for getting it tactically spot on yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Yes Moyes deserves credit for getting it tactically spot on yesterday

His subs where spot on, for the 1st time in ages I was happy to see Giggs come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

His subs where spot on, for the 1st time in ages I was happy to see Giggs come on.

Yet if Arsenal did manage to sneak a late goal, moyes would have been blasted on here for his changes. Fellaini and giggs on, taking off RVP.
    People would have been outraged.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Really? I feel as if had Arsenal scored from all the pressure being put on us, those subs would have been lambasted as negative and dreadful...

Yet if Arsenal did manage to sneak a late goal, moyes would have been blasted on here for his changes. Fellaini and giggs on, taking off RVP.
    People would have been outraged.

yep! very fine margains at the top level....yesterday it went for Moyes and fair play to him, i think he deserved a bit of luck!

would rather have seen Adnan come on but you can see why Giggs did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The subs bar Fellaini did nothing to relieve the pressure. Giggs held up the play nicely in a couple of instances but his lack of pace caused Arsenal to press further and we were left badly short because of his lack of legs. Arsenal could have easily scored in the second half. Let's not kid ourselves here as soon as Vidic went off we invited pressure on ourselves. I don't think Cleverley did anything particularly wrong but the game changed when he went in the middle instead if Jones. If we can get a right winger and a centre mid then I'll be a lot happier.

Absolutely delighted for Moyes because he got it right yesterday. Jones had another big game performance ala Real Madrid. Smalling did well but he's not a RB I think we missed Rafael on the right as an attacking threat as Valencia has gone so far backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Who was MotM yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

He played great yesterday, as did Jones. Phils bravery was fantastic to see.

Considering we have had the toughest run of games of any team also things aint so bad.

its all balanced out now at this stage to be honest, come end of December we will have pretty much played everybody once so im not sure the fixture list has alot to do with our position now - realistically its the poor results against Southampton and West Brom that has us 5th, which is also a sign that the league in itself is pretty poor.

we still have some tough games to come away to Cardiff & Spurs and then Everton and Newcastle at home so the next few weeks wont be easy - some of the other teams will play each other so i think its balanced out by now.

in other news, Natalie Sawyer looks absolutely sensational on SSN this morning, 10 of of 10.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Rooney

Thought it was Smalling ? even though Jones was my choice. Rooney did well, been everywhere. 11 klm he made.

• Advertisement

Cant believe the praise Moyes got, What a turnaround after he got a awful time from same people who criticize him in here and in media . I for one backed him all the way since the minute he became a gaffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Cant believe the praise Moyes got, What a turnaround after he got a awful time from same people who criticize him in here and in media . I for one backed him all the way since the minute he became a gaffer.

Very ironic. You would think he had just won the champions league with a post like that.

Delighted with the win but lets not get carried away. I have said all along I am more worried by performances than results and the performance yesterday still had all the same old problems we have had all season. We are still a dead rubber creatively, beating an Arsenal side that didn't turn up at all doesn't change that fact.

Very ironic. You would think he had just won the champions league with a post like that.

Delighted with the win but lets not get carried away. I have said all along I am more worried by performances than results and the performance yesterday still had all the same old problems we have had all season. We are still a dead rubber creatively, beating an Arsenal side that didn't turn up at all doesn't change that fact.

exactly, while we are all delighted and feeling on top of the world this morning, nobody should get carried away - we have a huge amount of work to do and we are by no means, the finished article yet.

it closes the gap, pushes us up the table and brings confidence back a bit - its a huge result, a season changer potentially and is something to build on. however, lets not cod ourselves and think all of a sudden Moyes is the messiah and we are going to piss the league - we are still playing well below the required level.

another positive is that we look much more solid at the back over the past 2 weeks since Stoke - only one conceeded in 3 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its a shame Rooney doesnt wanna play in CM.
    Hes got it all to be a decent replacement for scholes(impossible as it is).
    Maybe a few years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Ridiculous.

There were positive signs yesterday but I was more taken with how toothless Arsenal were. Wenger's teams always seem to look nervous against Man Utd. Whereas teams like Man City, Liverpool etc seem to put the perfomance of the their lives against us.

I didn't like how we just shut up shop in the second half and let Arsenal come at us. I was particularly disappointed to see the stat of Arsenal 4 shots on goal compared with our 2 (at some point in the second half) - we were supposed to be the home team but we created very few chances. Arsenal missed some glaring opportunities near the end there and if they had've scored we would be saying some very different things today.

The result was positive. Smalling, Ronney and Jones' performances were positive. I thought Carrick looked lost at times and although Valencia was lively, his weaknesses were exposed all to often. We were made to look better than we were by a nervous Arsenal team and our tactics were too negative in the second half.

I thought Carrick looked lost at times .

Considering that Arsenal played with 5 midfielders pretty much with no width and Carrick had jones beside him and a hit and miss Valencia to his right, you cant blame him!

our first half performance was excellent yesterday, second half poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Considering that Arsenal played with 5 midfielders pretty much with no width and Carrick had jones beside him and a hit and miss Valencia to his right, you cant blame him!

our first half performance was excellent yesterday, second half poor.

First half Carrick played with Jones and we were very comfortable, second half Jones was dropped to defense and we lost the midfield battle easily.

There are other contributing factors too but Jones did really well wheras Carrick has been bit off form this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How about giving Moyes more than 6/7/8 etc games before slating or praising him.

Evaluate at Christmas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RasTa wrote: »
    How about giving Moyes more than 6/7/8 etc games before slating or praising him.

Evaluate at Christmas

11 league games, 4 CL games, a half dozen preseason games.
    Sooner or later, people will have to get over the notion that he is only a few games in and that pretty strong patterns are emerging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

11 league games, 4 CL games, a half dozen preseason games.
    Sooner or later, people will have to get over the notion that he is only a few games in and that pretty strong patterns are emerging...

Unbeaten in the CL and crap start in the league. Don't care about pre-season.

I think Pelligrini has City playing better football than us at times yet we are above them.

Too soon to see any patterns

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement