Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Exactly and even if it doesn't work out i am sure we will still get 10-12m back if he is sold.

which player are you talking about here?

if its Jones, the final deal was over £20million and not £16, especially as he has played for england, won a PL etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Neeson wrote: »
    Why doesn't he change the formation to a 433? Less midfielders then and he can leave Giggs in the reserves.

Kagawa in midfield and Rooney on the left of RVP?
    I think in that formation you wouldn't get the best out of Rooney or Kagawa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I hope the 2 teams in blue get beat out the gate.

Boooooooooooooo.

Just after logging into my fantasy PL account for the first time since last week, and forgot that I'd see Fellaini switched from the blue of Everton to the red of Manchester United. It's just hit me that we've actually signed him and I really can't wait for the Palace game.

That said, Palace are not a team to be under-estimated and although I'd love to see some new things tried formation/tactics wise, I'm not going to put any money on it happening. 3 points is what will be sought, and Moyes will go for this 1st and experimentation 2nd. Like many of the posters here, I would cream on a team-sheet which featured Nani, Rooney, Kagawa and RVP supported by Carrick and Fellaini. The reality is though that at least 3 of those players are currently 'regaining fitness' and Fellaini has yet to play in a Utd shirt, Moyes could choose to go with Carrick OR Fellaini for this game, or for some reason known to only himself play Fellaini further up the pitch. I can see the press conference post-match with Giggs playing 90 minutes: "It was between Fellaini and Kagawa for a place on the bench." I joke:D Hopefully!

If we do secure 3 points vs Palace, 7 from 12 will look a hell of a lot better than the current 4/9. I previously said once the fixture list was released that we'd be doing quite well and it would be realistic to expect a return of 13/18 or 14/18 points once the final whistle blows against West Brom. The next game is vital as a launchpad into the City game, and as a chance to give a currently match-fit Fellaini a full game amongst players he's only used to taking the ball from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

if we lose to City, Moyes will experience pressure he has never experienced in his life from the media and other sections including our own fans unfortunately though most of them will never have been to Old Trafford in their life.
    I've been to OT twice. I guess I'm allowed twice as much leeway as my mate who has only been once? The "real" fans who have been more often are even more entitled to criticise than I am?
    Hoping I got it right. I'd hate to overstep the mark as a concerned fan if the situation ever arose where I felt the need to criticise.

There's a storm coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

GSPfan wrote: »
    There's a storm coming.

Winter is coming also.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I've been to OT twice. I guess I'm allowed twice as much leeway as my mate who has only been once? The "real" fans who have been more often are even more entitled to criticise than I am?
    Hoping I got it right. I'd hate to overstep the mark as a concerned fan if the situation ever arose where I felt the need to criticise.
    Have to agree here, what a idiotic thing to think, why would you need to have been to watch them live to be a real fan.
    Ive never watched Ireland in Rugby/Soccer and still consider myself a real fan.
    Never been to Villa Park (Hopefully this year) still consider myself a real fan, kinda thought having followed them for 20 years made me that not going to a stadium:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Have to say Im a season ticket holder but dont think that makes me a bigger or better fan than anyone else who support the club....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm a complete neutral, football is an interest of mine. I think anyone with a head on their shoulders knows that no matter what we say, at the end of the day people choose their clubs young largely to do with success. Others choose lower clubs to be different, and finally their are the minority who have some special tie with the club.

All in all, everyone's opinion is valid to the extent to which it makes sense.

I'm happy being a fan who enjoys watching United mainly on tv and gets over there every few years if lucky. I am not the biggest Man United fan ever. Don't want to be. I don't care if someone wants to label themselves a real fan cause it means nothing.
    I suggest anyone who has an issue with this "real fan" term should just ignore it. It's just a term used by people in a debate to try elevate their opinion above others. It doesn't matter. It really doesn't. Enjoy following United whatever way you see fit.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

what exactly are you saying? the more games you go to, the less your opinion holds? im sorry, but i dont agree with that and i dont think many people will, but i guess you have your opinion. every fans opinion is equal.

sure how do you know 90% of the posters on here are not regular match going fans anyway or have you spend the last 3 years on here just reading and not posting, so you know everything about us?

a mate of mine is a really big poster on here, one of the main ones in fact and he has never been to Old Trafford, i dont ever see any people dismissing his opinion due to this;)

certain other posters on here dont even follow the club and their opinions are respected too, so again i dont agree with your analysis.

there is no such thing as a real fan, you wont see many people here saying this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

This is a little off topic but the ios calendar link that was put up a while back with all the United fixtures on it, does anyone know a way of getting that on android or how to get it on google calendars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

markc1184 wrote: »
    This is a little off topic but the ios calendar link that was put up a while back with all the United fixtures on it, does anyone know a way of getting that on android or how to get it on google calendars?
    http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/81s3a9sbemhnf500pu3shcgk2g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

I'm a complete neutral, football is an interest of mine. I think anyone with a head on their shoulders knows that no matter what we say, at the end of the day people choose their clubs young largely to do with success. Others choose lower clubs to be different, and finally their are the minority who have some special tie with the club.

All in all, everyone's opinion is valid to the extent to which it makes sense.
    I vaguely remember liking Liverpool as a kid because my godfather was a massive Liverpool fan even though generally I remember him as being very cool. Even as a young fella (7ish), I realised that he was actually full of bs so I decided not to rebel anymore and follow the team that my Dad supported cos, well, cos he's my Dad:)

I keep being reminded even now by my uncle that I'm a turncoat glory hunter but I defend myself by saying it was the 80's so I don't think anyone could say I started supporting United for the glory:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't really know what all this willy waving about attending Old Trafford is for, I don't think anybody has actually said they are a better fan for doing so.

Hell, I attend work every single day, certainly doesn't make me their biggest fan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Anyone planning on going to that SAF event in Dublin in November?

By the way, not sure if much of a point was made of it but some people have been having a go at people like Homerjay, etc. for saying we paid over the buy out for Fellaini . Some posters were a bit dismissive of this and saying we only paid 23.5 million and Fellaini gave up 4 million which made it 27.5 million.

Well an Everton official has rubbished that and said United will pay 27.5 million. Just wanted that pointed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I picked United because they won games on TV when I started to watch them. Lucky for me, I was born in 92' and pretty much saw United go from good to great as I grew up. Most of my friends/family are Liverpool/United fans, with a few Arsenal and Spurs floating around.

Glory hunting? Maybe. I chose me team, I support my team and I don't really give a shít what other people think. I've made the sacred pilgrimage to Old Trafford and I'll do it again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

By the way, not sure if much of a point was made of it but some people have been having a go at people like Homerjay, etc. for saying we paid over the buy out for Fellaini . Some posters were a bit dismissive of this and saying we only paid 23.5 million and Fellaini gave up 4 million which made it 27.5 million.

Well an Everton official has rubbished that and said United will pay 27.5 million. Just wanted that pointed out.
    And worth every penny.

I think the four million being talked about was a seperate thing (which one or two posters thought was incorrect anyway) was in relation to a loyalty bonus due to Fella from Everton, that Fella essentially gave up as he requested the transfer go through.
    Rightly or wrongly I firmly believe that a 27.5 million deal for a consistent performer in a number of positions in the PL for the past number of years coming into his prime playing career is a decent price in the whole scheme of things nowadays.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    And worth every penny.

Hope so.

....or have you spend the last 3 years on here just reading and not posting, so you know everything about us?
    Basically this. He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not shall be victorious. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Etc etc:cool:

I'm generally not a big poster on any forum I frequent and especially not on football forums due to my general dislike of those who think they know everything, those who lose the use of themselves over the smallest of things (either good or bad), those who cannot appreciate opinions other than their own and generally, blind fanaticism of any kind. Obviously none of these dislikes fits very well with being a regular in any football forum.:D

No doubt I'll annoy myself and a few others for a little while before shortly disappearing into the night for another 3 years.

I of course do not think any opinion is better than others based on how often either goes to a match. My comment was based on your post I quoted where that seemed to be the point being made in the bit I quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I just don't get the argument that if you go to games your a bigger fan.

Say for example i just can't afford at the moment to go over to games. If you asked me anything about the club i could probably tell you.

Let's take a friend who has a decent job. He goes over a few times a year and would know less than most i know. I watched the play off final with him and he was talking about Zaha and United should try sign him. I seen every minute of pre season he couldn't tell you anything about him. Mention Janjuaz and he looks at you like your talking in a foreign language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Brian017 wrote: »
    Anyone planning on going to that SAF event in Dublin in November?

The perfect excuse for pints :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Say for example i just can't afford at the moment to go over to games. If you asked me anything about the club i could probably tell you.

Let's take a friend who has a decent job. He goes over a few times a year and would know less than most i know. I watched the play off final with him and he was talking about Zaha and United should try sign him. I seen every minute of pre season he couldn't tell you anything about him. Mention Janjuaz and he looks at you like your talking in a foreign language.

Would you not agree that every fan, should at least once, visit Old Trafford? I understand not being able to regularly attend, I've been only once myself, but I think the fact that you save your money and make the trip means so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

if anyone is looking for tickets for any of the champions league games let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Corvo wrote: »
    The perfect excuse for pints :pac:

We should all get together and have thread night out so we can all discuss the transfer window face to face.

I'll arrange the mini cab's ready to drive straight to a&e if someone arranges a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's not hard to get over to old Trafford so I do look down on the people who are too lazy to bother.

Being a "bigger fan" isn't really that either though is it?
    It's not really about knowing "stuff" either though is it?
    It's about using whatever you do know to form clear opinions about the club and what is going on there.
    It's about being able to analyse all known facts and base your opinion on that, and indeed being able to change your opinion over time based on facts.

Others would say it's about blind faith, backing the team no matter what, not even questioning transfers or lack thereof.....or questioning managers.....

Others again would say it's about "caring" about the club and questioning everything that goes on there, right or wrong and consistently asking why aren't they doing better.

Being a "supporter" is different things to different people I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

RasTa wrote: »
    It's not hard to get over to old Trafford so I do look down on the people who are too lazy to bother.

Not really fair.

Not that it applies to me but one has to consider the family situation of the fan and the job they have. It can put massive restrictions on their ability to get over.

• Advertisement

We should all get together and have thread night out so we can all discuss the transfer window face to face.

I'll arrange the mini cab's ready to drive straight to a&e if someone arranges a pub.

No need. Like most people who have a keyboard or a car window to hide behind they quickly become Fearless and ignorant. Put someone in a room within striking distance and you wont get many insults or bad manners.

That depends entirely on ones situation, though, does it not?

United wouldn't be a force in world football today were it not for the fans who rarely get to OT.

Indeed OT cant hold all the fans it has (not sure how many hundred million it was last time out) so it's just as well, for those that you and others do go that a few hundred million fans aren't trying to get to all the home games.

Its a financial issue for some. There are direct flights from where I live but I can only get over two or three times a year with the mortgage, car and time off work etc

I make sure I have every sport channel though and haven't missed a single televised game in a decade.

Priorities get in the way, so keeping the house heated and food on the plate is more important.

No need. Like most people who have a keyboard or a car window to hide behind they quickly become Fearless and ignorant. Put someone in a room within striking distance and you wont get many insults or bad manners.

Of course, I was kidding. I don't think anyone on here is the violent type. There are plenty of heated arguments and the odd insult thrown but in general its a good bunch and I don't think I've ever encountered a yob on here, trolls yes, yobs no.

All I hear are excuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

All I hear are excuses

Im surprised ye can hear anything from up on that high horse of yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Im surprised ye can hear anything from up on that high horse of yours.

Horse aint high enough here. I see some squattin on the space needle

All I hear are excuses

You were over in Vancouver was it for a while? Did you fly over from there for matches?

All I hear are excuses

As I said, you should be happy that the millions of fans of United cannot, for one reason or another, get the Old Trafford.
    You'd never get a ticket for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

lordgoat wrote: »
    so you're a: must have the last word kinda gal. cool. If only you put as much effort in your posts about football.

Put your handbag away now and play nice.
    Wernt you told in school not to be ganging up on people. Tut tut moderator...

You were over in Vancouver was it for a while? Did you fly over from there for matches?

Well obviously that doesn't count. Away for 18 months. I was over at old Trafford within the first week upon my return.

Well obviously that doesn't count. Away for 18 months. I was over at old Trafford within the first week upon my return.

Couldnt that be construed as an excuse? im well aware circumstances werent in your favour but you didnt seem too keen to consider anyones circumstances above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus, judging people by how many times they've visited Old Trafford, we've reached a new low I think.

Couldnt that be construed as an excuse? im well aware circumstances werent in your favour but you didnt seem too keen to consider anyones circumstances above

No, the same people are just to lazy to get off their arses to do anything bar spend 80 quid on a night out in the pub and take aways few times a week.

I'll probably only go over a couple of times myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Any person that judges me (or anyone else) on the amount of times that I've been to OT can bite me bollox tbh.

For the record - visited ground in '91 (no game)
    And have been at two games - Portsmouth in Jan '08 and Swansea in May '12 - both 2-0 wins as it turns out.

Doesn't make me any better than someone that hasn't been, or any worse than a ST holder. Bull**** argument.

:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

No, the same people are just to lazy to get off their arses to do anything bar spend 80 quid on a night out in the pub and take aways few times a week.

meh i dunno, seems you are making assumptions but to me i couldnt give a **** whether someone has been or not

meh i dunno, seems you are making assumptions but to me i couldnt give a **** whether someone has been or not

Yeah as I said I don't care, will look down my nose in my mind or on here. I wouldn't care enough to waste my time debating it in person.

I guess you look down on me even though I'm in Canada so can't get to the games easily? Do you realise how ridiculous you sound? I'm not even sure why I'm replying to any of your posts because you don't deserve our attention if you really do hold opinions like that. You're being so ignorant and I'm not referring to me being in Canada and not being able to go, I'm referring to your judging of people who live closer, cop on would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

the reaction of people on boards doesnt matter one b*llix to david moyes or the club. it is however what happens at the grounds - he got a top class reception so far, but that was before we lost to Liverpool. he will still get a great reception, but things will start to settle back into normality now and even Fergie would get some stick if results were poor off the fans.

a few of ye need to realise there is more to United than what happens or is written on boards.

What a load of condescending bollocks. You really are insufferable.

It wasn't clear that you were talking about the reaction in the ground, it's rarely clear what you are talking about you contradict yourself so much. And since you have shat on all summer about what fans and ABUs are saying in blogs, forums and bullshít newspapers it was reasonable to expect that you weren't only talking about reactions at the games now.

there is none. not really sure where this came from either apart from a random "fan" who just turned up out of nowwhere despite being a member for 3 years and started talking about it....now a bunch of ye have got your knickers in a twist for no reason at all.

you lot are being taken for a ride and its about the 10th time this summer something like this has happened.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement