Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Here are two comments in reply to the announcement of SAFs book launch that genuinely made me LOL:
    Ed Woodward says:
    September 4, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    If I wait until the event starts, can I get in for free?
    D Moyes says:
    September 4, 2013 at 5:01 pm
    Will it be possible for the audience to ask questions?

the reaction of people on boards doesnt matter one b*llix to david moyes or the club. it is however what happens at the grounds - he got a top class reception so far, but that was before we lost to Liverpool. he will still get a great reception, but things will start to settle back into normality now and even Fergie would get some stick if results were poor off the fans.

a few of ye need to realise there is more to United than what happens or is written on boards.

Why the hell did you say this? Who are the few that need to realise this Homer? Are you pulling more assumptions out of your árse again?

Ffs if your posting style wasn't so constant and aggressive you'd be easier to ignore but Jesus you really manage to píss so many people off with your nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sacramento wrote: »
    I guess you look down on me even though I'm in Canada so can't get to the games easily? Do you realise how ridiculous you sound? I'm not even sure why I'm replying to any of your posts because you don't deserve our attention if you really do hold opinions like that. You're being so ignorant and I'm not referring to me being in Canada and not being able to go, I'm referring to your judging of people who live closer, cop on would you?

Well what's so horrid of watching the team you support in the flesh. I went to whitecaps games in van. Chonburi and more in Thailand. Same for Colombia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

there is none. not really sure where this came from either apart from a random "fan" who just turned up out of nowwhere despite being a member for 3 years and started talking about it....now a bunch of ye have got your knickers in a twist for no reason at all.

you lot are being taken for a ride and its about the 10th time this summer something like this has happened.

Are you trying to be condescending?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

RasTa wrote: »
    All I hear are excuses
    No, the same people are just to lazy to get off their arses to do anything bar spend 80 quid on a night out in the pub and take aways few times a week.

I'll probably only go over a couple of times myself
    Yeah as I said I don't care, will look down my nose in my mind or on here. I wouldn't care enough to waste my time debating it in person.

It must be great to be living with the folks and have no big financial responsibility. Or to come from money and to be able afford frequent visits as well as holidays to the States.

It must feel wonderful as a whole not to have many money woes, so much so that you can look down upon those that do and that struggle harder to get over making their financial commitment and sacrifice to get to a match much more meaningful than being able to swan over at the drop of the hat without worrying about financial repercussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fcuking international break.
    Its like a giant case of the menopause in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

there is none. not really sure where this came from either apart from a random "fan" who just turned up out of nowwhere despite being a member for 3 years and started talking about it....now a bunch of ye have got your knickers in a twist for no reason at all.

you lot are being taken for a ride and its about the 10th time this summer something like this has happened.
    Ur the one who went on about people complaining about Moyes even though they would have never been to OT. It's not the first time over the last few days of preaching that you have made not so thinly veiled references to attending games to try to justify a point you make.

It's ok to think you're better than others. You may not be right but at least stick to ur guns. It's only pitiful and pathetic when you deny it.

Lol at me being a random "fan". What has my join date or post count/frequency got to do with being a fan of a football team?

It's almost precisely posters like you that I was referencing earlier when I said how football forums can be frustrating as hell.

It must be great to be living with the folks and have no big financial responsibility. Or to come from money and to be able afford frequent visits as well as holidays to the States.

It must feel wonderful as a whole not to have many money woes, so much so that you can look down upon those that do and that struggle harder to get over making their financial commitment and sacrifice to get to a match much more meaningful than being able to swan over at the drop of the hat without worrying about financial repercussions.

Yeah it is great. Loads of assumptions and all incorrect, miles off the mark actually especially the first paragraph.

Try again. It's simply called planning.

Well obviously that doesn't count.
    All I hear are excuses

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, I've only been 4 times, but two of those were for PL trophy presentation games. Do I get bonus points for that?

v3ttel wrote: »
    LOL

Don't tell me you are silly enough to compare flying from Ireland as equal to Canada? Really didn't think I would have to type that.

Yeah it is great. Loads of assumptions and all incorrect, miles off the mark actually especially the first paragraph.

Try again. It's simply called planning.

Well well well, I didn't think you'd take the bait this easily but seeming as you did......

Its not nice to have innaccurate, generalising judgements (Lazy, nightclubs, fast food, poor planner, well off, parent dependent) made about the type of person you are or life situations you have based on how many times you go to a football stadium now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Chinpool wrote: »

people dont need international breaks to be on the blob, its a regular occurrence.

while trolls are really annoying, it is funny how people react to them and the all out anarchy that ensues when it happens.
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    [/B]

Are you trying to be condescending?

care to explain how i am being condescending please? this thread (or more to the point the past versions) has a history of trolling, you going to deny this?

Well what's so horrid of watching the team you support in the flesh. I went to whitecaps games in van. Chonburi and more in Thailand. Same for Colombia.

Did I say there's anything wrong with going to the game? Why did you say that? Would you actually respond to what I said and stop putting words in my mouth?

Well well well, I didn't think you'd take the bait this easily but seeming as you did......

Its not nice to have innaccurate, generalising judgements (Lazy, nightclubs, fast food, poor planner, well off, parent dependent) made about the type of person you are or life situations you have based on how many times you go to a football stadium now is it?

If you say so, I do love a good generalisation myself.

Chinpool wrote: »

Why didn't you look at me during sex...?

*cries*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My average time spent in this thread today is about 5 seconds.

Open thread.

See moaning, b!tching and bickering.

Close thread.

Don't tell me you are silly enough to compare flying from Ireland as equal to Canada? Really didn't think I would have to type that.

All I hear are excuses.

• Advertisement

Did I say there's anything wrong with going to the game? Why did you say that? Would you actually respond to what I said and stop putting words in my mouth?

You didn't say anything bar telling me to cop on and stop judging people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Very interesting article from Daniel Taylor here on our summer dealings/failures.
    Manchester United's failed attempt to sign Ander Herrera is not the only time the Premier League champions have experienced bizarre tactics at the top end of the market during a difficult, complicated transfer window that has brought fierce criticism on the club.

United's information is that earlier this summer a forged email, purporting to originate from Old Trafford and reputedly confirming their interest in a player, was sent to another club in an apparent attempt to trigger a rival bid and ramp up the price. That player has subsequently moved, for significant money, with the buying club under the false impression they were beating United to him.

The revelation is an insight into some of the tricks employed by clubs, agents and other middle men when such vast sums of money are swilling around before the transfer deadline. However, it is the Herrera deal that has caused the most consternation behind the scenes at Old Trafford and, specifically, the role of the three lawyers who turned up at the offices of the Spanish league (the LFP) on Monday apparently purporting to have United's authorisation to sign off the €36m (£30.4m) buyout clause.

The club are aware that journalists have been briefed by sources at the Spanish league that the three men – identified as Rodrigo García Lucas, Alvaro Reig Gurrea and Guillermo Gutiérrez, from the Spanish law firm Laffer – were, in fact, operating officially on United's behalf.

United's position is that surely the only confirmation of this should come from Old Trafford and they have reiterated, categorically, that they did not know of these men, recognise them or commission them.

United employ their own legal firm in Spain but did not mobilise it for one simple reason: no agreement was reached with Athletic Bilbao and they never had any intention of paying the full price when they valued Herrera £10m lower.

Instead, the arrival of Laffer's lawyers – credited with helping to arrange Javi Martínez's transfer from Bilbao to Bayern Munich a year ago – created the impression the deal was imminent and led to a frenzy of speculation; the Bilbao newspaper El Correo compared the pursuit of Herrera to a Benny Hill sketch.

United's version is rather more straightforward. Having followed Herrera for two years, they had concluded he was worth around £20m, their feeling being it would be another 18 months or so before he was a guaranteed first-team pick. Bilbao insisted they wanted the full amount, no compromise was reached and that would have been it finished, in United's opinion, until the television pictures of Laffer's representatives led to the inaccurate impression that an agreement was close – building up hopes for a deal that had already failed. The Guardian on Tuesday night contacted the law firm Laffer who, for reasons of professional confidentiality, declined to comment or to reveal the identity of their client.

Two days on, there is still confusion at Old Trafford about the involvement of the three lawyers described on deadline night as "impostors" and United feel so strongly about it they have been willing to put their position on the record. Herrera has also, to a point, backed their story. "I do not feel used by United. How can I feel used? They made a formal offer. Athletic did not want to negotiate, I value that. They [United] had to pay the €36m clause. I reached no agreement with United. I am proud they made an offer for me, and that Athletic wanted me [to stay]."

Herrera's agent has been in touch with United to ascertain if they knew who the lawyers were. United's response was emphatically no. Herrera added: "The lawyers that were at the LFP did not represent me. I didn't even know who they were."

It is a confusing, complex and embarrassing issue for United, even if it is true it was not a farce of their own making. What is beyond dispute is that they have found the transfer window frustrating and unsatisfactory. They are, however, a lot more relaxed about it than might be anticipated and bemused, too, about some of the mistruths that have accompanied the genuine disappointments.

United are taken aback, for example, by the latest suggestion they challenged Arsenal for Mesut Ozil. The truth is that United and Manchester City were both offered the player three weeks ago. United turned it down because they had already made up their mind that Wayne Rooney would not be leaving and they did not want to break their transfer record, paying upwards of £40m, for someone who plays in the same position.

Their thinking also took into account they have Shinji Kagawa, among others, for the No10 role. Kagawa still features prominently in the thinking of David Moyes despite not even being on the bench against Liverpool on Sunday. His problem is two-fold: one, that he has had an exhausting summer with his national team and is being brought back slowly; two, that Moyes has not really seen him play or got to know him very well. He is not, however, being marginalised.

United rebuffed an approach from Atlético Madrid for the Japan international and would have done the same if Borussia Dortmund had been in touch. As it was, there has not been a single telephone call from the Bundesliga club, despite talking up a possible return.

Juan Mata is a player United like but linking the Chelsea midfielder with a move to Old Trafford was, like Ozil, a red herring. Mata, as Chelsea have repeatedly stated, was not for sale; it is just that some people did not believe them. United did not try to get him and he was never mooted in a cash-plus-player exchange with Rooney because, as the Guardian revealed last month, Rooney was never going to be allowed to join Chelsea, no matter what the offer. Behind the scenes at Old Trafford, there is frustration that this has largely been overlooked when it has taken up so much time and effort and, in their opinion, could be the difference between United winning the title or not.

Rooney's determination to force a transfer, with a proactive agent in Paul Stretford, and Chelsea doing everything they could to push it has been such a major issue at Old Trafford it is estimated to have taken up more than half the time that United's top-level officials have devoted to working on player arrivals and departures. United were determined to make a show of force and efforts are continuing behind the scenes to convince Rooney that he can, once again, be happy at Old Trafford. It is an ongoing process and there is an acceptance it will not be easy. However, it is being seen as a victory of sorts that they refused to cave in, as a point of principle, when the alternative was potentially to see him scoring 20 goals a season at Chelsea for the next few years.

That still leaves a lot of unanswered questions such as why United paid £27.5m for Marouane Fellaini when his buyout clause could have been activated earlier in the summer for £4m less. The long pursuit of Cesc Fábregas was fundamentally flawed because they were encouraged to believe he was open to the offer; United, in short, were told Fábregas was increasingly agitated about his potential lack of games for Barcelona in a World Cup year – but ultimately they could not get the man they regarded as their top target and they recognise that amounts to a long, drawn-out failure.

The issue of Thiago Alcântara also needs clearing up. In his case, it has been portrayed as him snubbing United for Bayern Munich when the truth is actually that Moyes decided he was not entirely comfortable going for the Barcelona player. United had been monitoring him for three years and effectively lined up the transfer but Moyes, as everyone at Everton can testify, likes to have a huge amount of background information on new signings and, having initially gone along with it, decided in the end he did not want to take someone else's word about a player he had seen infrequently. Again, it boils down to a new manager shopping in a new market, with a limited amount of time.

United had not wanted to overrule Moyes and promised they would keep their squad together, with the exception of Bébé. They have kept true to that and, as well as rejecting the approach for Kagawa, they turned down a Tottenham offer for Javier Hernández and at least five approaches from different clubs for Nani.

That, nonetheless, does not change the fact Moyes had wanted two central midfielders as well as a rival left-back to Patrice Evra, missing out on Leighton Baines and then Fábio Coentrão. On that basis, there is a frank admission at Old Trafford that they have come up short by bringing in only Fellaini.

United, however, are angry about the suggestion, emanating from the Herrera farce, that a club of their stature and transfer experience somehow failed to understand the Spanish tax system – and bewildered, more than anything, that they are supposed to have employed three lawyers they say they had never heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Thought I might actually have a slim chance of getting tickets for Fergie's date in Salford. Found out there that the tickets go on sale at 10 am on Friday week. Not a hope of getting it because of work. Maybe another time.

You didn't say anything bar telling me to cop on and stop judging people.

I did, can't believe I've to quote myself for your sake..
    I asked if you look down on me like you do other fans in Ireland or wherever that don't/can't go to games for whatever reason? Do you consider yourself more of a fan than us?

I did, can't believe I've to quote myself for your sake..
    I asked if you look down on me like you do other fans in Ireland or wherever that don't/can't go to games for whatever reason? Do you consider yourself more of a fan than us?

No sure I said I lived in Canada for 12 months. It's the plastic irish Internet fans I look down upon with my troy sized horse.

No sure I said I lived in Canada for 12 months. It's the plastic irish Internet fans I look down upon with my troy sized horse.

OK, just wanted to make sure you DID look down on people and that you DID think that it was OK to do that so I could gauge how much time I should spend replying to you on here. Cheers!
    This will be the last time I take notice of anything you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

More excuses, all you hear are excuses from some people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

AAED367D7AC0423D909008C2861FC1F6.ashx?h=270&la=ar-SA&w=480&rgn=0,113,3678,2177

OK, just wanted to make sure you DID look down on people and that you DID think that it was OK to do that so I could gauge how much time I should spend replying to you on here. Cheers!
    This will be the last time I take notice of anything you say.

Well that was odd. Obviously living in Saskatoon

DM-ICE wrote: »
    AAED367D7AC0423D909008C2861FC1F6.ashx?h=270&la=ar-SA&w=480&rgn=0,113,3678,2177

RWo7dcjI21s.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Jayzis the amount of willy-waving in here about who goes to OT is gas Ted

mod snip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Very interesting article from Daniel Taylor here on our summer dealings/failures.

I said a few weeks ago that I felt Moyes was perhaps as culpable as Woodward for our problems this summer. I said it was known that Moyes was very meticulous, and that while that was good, it really wasn't what United needed this summer.

This quote from the linked article about Thiago seems to agree:
    but Moyes, as everyone at Everton can testify, likes to have a huge amount of background information on new signings and, having initially gone along with it, decided in the end he did not want to take someone else's word about a player he had seen infrequently.

I have to say, I am very disappointed to find that I may have been right. It is indeed a good thing to carefully research new players, to be sure of what you want. But you cannot be too cautious, not in this game. Sometimes you just have to take a risk, and frankly it worries me that Moyes did not feel able to take the risk on Thiago.

Think about the details here. United had scouted the kid for three years, but Moyes didn't want to accept their findings. What a massive lack of trust in his new staff. And this is Thiago, not some unknown kid, some risks are bigger than others and paying less than £20m for ****ing Thiago is not one of the big risks.

I admire that Moyes stuck to his guns regarding transfers, but I am very, very disappointed at the caution he has shown in his few months at Old Trafford, both regards transfers and his team selections. Caution won't win trophies, he needs to have more courage.

And of course, it suggests that Woodward may not be quite the villain of the piece.

I can't f*cking wait to see Fellaini make his debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

yermandan wrote: »
    Jayzis the amount of willy-waving in here about who goes to OT is gas Ted

mod snip

Read the part in the charter about gifs please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lads, calm down. This is a silly argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Tbh I look down on everybody..

Because I'm god :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RWo7dcjI21s.jpg

What a scary image!

I'm also sporting a mini fro that has grown to Fellanni length, same colour. Which also makes me a better fan for going to that length as I thought he was signing. It will be cut when Fellanni cuts his.

I bought an afro wig a few years back. Bought it cause I had an idea to do an online show but then saw sense in it.

I'm delighted I can now just say it's cause I like Fellaini :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I saw a link to this on Facebook. You can buy shares in United. To start off you have to hand over $50. I've no idea about the other costs, if any, after that.

To be honest, I think you can only call yourself a 'real' fan if you legitimately own shares in United :pac:.

And it's compulsory to have a united crest tattooed on your chest over where your heart is before you're considered a "real fan"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

These all makes so much more sense than the rest of the crap that's been flying around the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

it worries me that Moyes did not feel able to take the risk on Thiago.

If this is true in any way shape or form....

We DO need a new manager, I would go that far.....

Almost impossible to believe that Moyes could view Thiago as any sort of risk buy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

it worries me that Moyes did not feel able to take the risk on Thiago.

Almost impossible to believe that Moyes could view Thiago as any sort of risk buy....

PESEdit.com+2013+Patch+5.2+(1).jpg

PESEdit.com+2013+Patch+5.2+(1).jpg

Kagawa <3

Very interesting article. It seems pretty much spot on and what he says makes sense, if true.

Thanks for posting it.

Games are so unrealistic nowadays. Just look at it.

Kagawa on the field? Yeah right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Games are so unrealistic nowadays. Just look at it.

Kagawa on the field? Yeah right :pac:

Must be a League Cup game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Reading some stuff here reminds me of this piece from Father Ted

"I think I should get the parachute because I'm great. In fact, I think I should get both the parachutes, in case one of them doesn't work!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are so many things, in general wrong with that post, but the part in bold is one of the reasons that fans of clubs like Chelsea and City have been laughed at for years on this and all the other United threads........

I am going to let you off and assume you were under the influence while posting that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement