Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Damien Comolli must be one of the biggest spoofer's around.How did he manage to get a few DOF jobs.He was brutal for Spurs and Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Kevin Prince Boateng went to Schalke for 12m on deadline day. Wouldn't have been a bad signing for us maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Kevin Prince Boateng went to Schalke for 12m on deadline day. Wouldn't have been a bad signing for us maybe?
    Him AND Fellaini would have been excessive. I think he's a little hustle-bustle too, there can be a lack of craft to his game on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Yeah would have been a decent signing.Surprised Milan are letting him go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Him AND Fellaini would have been excessive. I think he's a little hustle-bustle too, there can be a lack of craft to his game on the ball.

Fellaini and Herrara wouldn't have been? I'd take Prince Boateng for 12 over Herrara for 30 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Fellaini and Herrara wouldn't have been? I'd take Prince Boateng for 12 over Herrara for 30 tbh.
    Boateng and Fellaini are too similar in style to be a good pair of buys. Herrera is more creative on the ball and would compliment the other purchase, not copy it.

when you say ok, what do you mean or for example, how would you rate it out of 10 with 0 being no signings, 10 being Ronaldo and Fabregas for example (of course, totally impossible/unrealistiv)?

This post makes the same amount of sense as this picture

gjIiFej.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

That Darth Vader is a wacky guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

That Darth Vader is a wacky guy!

Smart move by him imo, purifying all that salt water into drinkable water before he heads off to that lava planet

Always remember to hydrate guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

kryogen wrote: »
    Someone had asked have MUST jumped on the bandwagon, they have going by this

Maybe its just me but I find that MUST very rarely represent how I feel about the club. Anyone else get that?

I always thought he was more of an attacking midfielder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Maybe its just me but I find that MUST very rarely represent how I feel about the club. Anyone else get that?

I always thought he was more of an attacking midfielder?

Can play centre mid too. When in form he is pretty unstoppable. Good signing for Shalke, Im guessing Milan fans wont be thinking its the end of the world but will be a little disappointed (in fact they have had a pretty underwhelming transfer window overall)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Now that the dust has settled on the transfer deadline day debacle, I am really looking forward to seeing Fellaini in a Utd shirt. I was always going to be excited about his signing as I thought he would be a good fit for Utd and would improve the team greatly. All the noises he's made since he moved, always wanting to play for Utd etc and him driving himself to Manchester for th signing, waiving bonuses etc, makes me even more excited. He'll be giving 100% from the off.

I also think there will be more chance of getting the creative players into the team. I've always thought that the likes of Valencia playing out wide and indeed Rooney and Welbeck being played wide(not saying they aren't creative players) were played to give cover to our weak midfield. Even though Fergie never did address the midfield problem and seemed content with it, I always thought he compensated for it with his wide players.

It feels up to now that Moyes has done the same in his opening few games, but has tried to address it in the window, which is fantastic in the long run.
    Nani Kagawa Rooney and Van Persie is now a real possibility of being a regular four, something I don't think would have been considered as a regular option if Fellaini hadn't been signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He is an attacking midfielder and not a CM. We don't need him as he wouldn't have added much to the squad anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Jeez, just seen David Bentley is a free agent, remember we were linked with him a few seasons back?

Only 29 too, really was a waste of £15M by Spurs that purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

adox wrote: »
    Now that the dust has settled on the transfer deadline day debacle, I am really looking forward to seeing Fellaini in a Utd shirt. I was always going to be excited about his signing as I thought he would be a good fit for Utd and would improve the team greatly. All the noises he's made since he moved, always wanting to play for Utd etc and him driving himself to Manchester for th signing, waiving bonuses etc, makes me even more excited. He'll be giving 100% from the off.

I also think there will be more chance of getting the creative players into the team. I've always thought that the likes of Valencia playing out wide and indeed Rooney and Welbeck being played wide(not saying they aren't creative players) were played to give cover to our weak midfield. Even though Fergie never did address the midfield problem and seemed content with it, I always thought he compensated for it with his wide players.

It feels up to now that Moyes has done the same in his opening few games, but has tried to address it in the window, which is fantastic in the long run.
    Nani Kagawa Rooney and Van Persie is now a real possibility of being a regular four, something I don't think would have been considered as a regular option if Fellaini hadn't been signed.
    Would agree with this completely.

Said it to homer last night - I am really happy we got Fellaini - it is just the way we went about everything that I find laughable. But it is done now, so we have to move on (but hope and expect lessons to be learned).

Fellaini and Carrick providing a solid base for a more adventurous front is very appealing. If signing Fellaini and not getting another player in means Kagawa gets a prominent role in the team (and justifies why we all want to see it) I will be absolutely delighted.

Kagawa, Rooney and Nani given a more free role off RVP could be awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jeez, just seen David Bentley is a free agent, remember we were linked with him a few seasons back?

Only 29 too, really was a waste of £15M by Spurs that purchase.

Levyout!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Timmyctc wrote: »

yep. they were fine for about 3 weeks once the green and gold started up, then it became clear they were after other agendas. most of the stuff now is just pathetic from them, though of course if they are slamming the club for the trasnfer window, i may just agree with them on this one for once ;) overall though, ive no time for them at all, really horrible set up, nothing but troublesome for the club and are really attempting to be hostile all the time.

had to deal with them for the sky3d seat movement and it killed me to have to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

In the middle of all that, Woodward cancelled a scheduled media appearance to return from United's tour of Australia on "urgent transfer business" that also failed to materialise.

This one is still being churned out....is just me or is it abundantly clear that he came home to deal with a)Rooney and b)the Fabregas bid?
    Rooney is staying and Fabregas was always going to be a tough one to get. I just don't see the embarrassment.

WRT to the MUST, when I was playing GAA, we had these 3 old lads who used to sit in the stand do nothing but complain about the players, the team and management BUT they would be at every single game, more games than anyone else, one of them used to go to every training session. It's just a British/Irish thing to complain about things you are invested in...regardless of how OK things are at work people still complain about it...your brother/sister is probably the person you complain about most in your personal life.

I think this is why Homer is the most vociferous of the, shall we say for, now 'anti-board' brigade. It's because, from what I can gather, he attends the most games and is probably more ingrained in a culture where the locals in Manchester and say the MUST have spent their whole lives complaining about United whether they were doing well or not.
    It's just what they do.

ericzeking wrote: »
    This one is still being churned out....is just me or is it abundantly clear that he came home to deal with a)Rooney and b)the Fabregas bid?
    Rooney is staying and Fabregas was always going to be a tough one to get. I just don't see the embarrassment.

WRT to the MUST, when I was playing GAA, we had these 3 old lads who used to sit in the stand do nothing but complain about the players, the team and management BUT they would be at every single game, more games than anyone else, one of them used to go to every training session. It's just a British/Irish thing to complain about things you are invested in...regardless of how OK things are at work people still complain about it...your brother/sister is probably the person you complain about most in your personal life.

I think this is why Homer is the most vociferous of the, shall we say for, now 'anti-board' brigade. It's because, from what I can gather, he attends the most games and is probably more ingrained in a culture where the locals in Manchester and say the MUST have spent their whole lives complaining about United whether they were doing well or not.
    It's just what they do.

They briefed journo's it was 'Urgent transfer business' and not related to Rooney. Quite possible they were lying, but that is what happened. If it was to do with Fabregas it really can't have been urgent given the fact we never got close to signing him.

ericzeking wrote: »

I think this is why Homer is the most vociferous of the, shall we say for, now 'anti-board' brigade.

there is a difference between being anti board and anti club! the board doesnt embellish the club IMO, the players, coaching staff and fans do.

surely at this stage we can all just agree to disagree on Woodward and stop talking about it? i hate the *****, a few of ye have no problem with him, thats not going to change at this stage so no point bringing it up over and over again!

in saying that, the journalists will look for great coverage for weeks and weeks on this, so maybe it wont go away in that sense.

• Advertisement

This summer has made me think United should seriously look at employing someone whose full time job it is to set up transfer deals - whether they are called DoF or Head or Player recruitment or something.

Maybe Woodward is out of his depth and maybe not - but maybe it is simply that he does not have the time required to dedicate to transfers as complex as the ones United would generally be looking to pull off. We should have someone whose job it is to maintain contacts with clubs, agents and indeed the players we identify - put basic transfer deals in place (general agreement of price required, willingness to move etc) so that these can be presented to Moyes/Woodward for a decision on whether to trigger the deal.

I would say that Moyes should obviously have final approval and we should only be looking for this 'DoF' to push on players actually identified by Moyes as possible signings, but I do think the business of setting the deals up should be someones full time job.

Levyout!!!

Think you can blame Comolli more for that disaster :P

This summer has made me think United should seriously look at employing someone whose full time job it is to set up transfer deals - whether they are called DoF or Head or Player recruitment or something.

Maybe Woodward is out of his depth and maybe not - but maybe it is simply that he does not have the time required to dedicate to transfers as complex as the ones United would generally be looking to pull off. We should have someone whose job it is to maintain contacts with clubs, agents and indeed the players we identify - put basic transfer deals in place (general agreement of price required, willingness to move etc) so that these can be presented to Moyes/Woodward for a decision on whether to trigger the deal.

I would say that Moyes should obviously have final approval and we should only be looking for this 'DoF' to push on players actually identified by Moyes as possible signings, but I do think the business of setting the deals up should be someones full time job.

Agree with this, the article below by Jim White put it better than I can when he says ' A man adept at pushing through deals to manufacture the United shirt, he proved himself utterly hapless when it came to recruiting players to wear it.'

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/jim-white/dismal-woodward-failed-primary-summer-task-sign-superstar-110654996.html

Agree with this, the article below by Jim White put it better than I can when he says ' A man adept at pushing through deals to manufacture the United shirt, he proved himself utterly hapless when it came to recruiting players to wear it.'

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/jim-white/dismal-woodward-failed-primary-summer-task-sign-superstar-110654996.html

has anybody publically defended Woordward yet, as it appears almost everybody who has commented on him has been very critical of him so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Any truth in the rumour RVP told Dutch TV he's "sick of Moyes training methods" and is "considering his future"?

Just saw it on Twitter so don't know how reliable.

Any truth in the rumour RVP told Dutch TV he's "sick of Moyes training methods" and is "considering his future"?

i can categorically say this is 100% bulls*it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If he had told that to dutch tv I'd imagine the coverage would not just be confined to twitter to be honest. I'd say the print media and tv media would love an angle like that... sells papers, keeps 24hr sports coverage going. Maybe it will hit mainstream coverage but until then I'II just put it down to twitter noise.

Quotes I am seeing, from Dutch paper, say he is really liking training under Moyes.

Fans only care about what goes on on the pitch Homer, we see all these partner deals and only think about who we can buy with the money and how much of the debt is gone. So far Woodward has only signed a player that used to play for the new manager and thus was probably more influential in Fellaini signing than Woodward.

So in probably the most important Summer in nearly 3 decades at the club, a Summer United are champions and boasting we have the 'best squad' because of every other teams inept performance last season we needed to make a statement signing and we did not despite boasting all Summer long that we had the money. I defended the club all Summer as I held fast with the theory 'don't worry, the club knows what its doing'. Well clearly it did not and that falls squarely at Woodward's shoulders. As one commenter on that article I posted a few posts back puts it which sadly made me laugh and cry at the same time (not really) on our last day transfer activity, it was

'"...like a bloke in a nightclub as kicking out time approaches desperately going round the place asking any of the remaining women to go home with him. And then, when one showed signs of agreeing to do so, he haggled over who was going to pay for the taxi"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

And in fairness to Woodward he may be better at selling players than bringing them in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

i can categorically say this is 100% bulls*it.
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    If he had told that to dutch tv I'd imagine the coverage would not just be confined to twitter to be honest. I'd say the print media and tv media would love an angle like that... sells papers, keeps 24hr sports coverage going. Maybe it will hit mainstream coverage but until then I'II just put it down to twitter noise.
    Quotes I am seeing, from Dutch paper, say he is really liking training under Moyes.

Thought it seemed a bit odd alright. Wasn't trying to stir or anything...just wondering. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Well clearly it did not and that falls squarely at Woodward's shoulders.

But does it?

Take a look at the transfers from another point of view, what if Moyes is a complete tyrant and everything is dictated by him?

Fabregas - Moyes wants him badly, and demands Woodward chase him. It was never a viable transfer, but Woodward was asked so Woodward tried.

Thiago - United had him well scouted and Woodward was ready to make the bid, but Moyes stopped him because he wasn't party to the scouting.

The Thiago situation then shows that Moyes only wants bids for players he has personally picked, but unfortunately he does not have any targets already lined up. So for two months Woodward twiddles his thumbs waiting for Moyes to say who he actually wants.

Moyes cannot identify anybody, so he finally goes back to the well, opting to now bid for Felliani because he knows what he is getting. Its now too late, and Woodward looks like a fool bidding after the release fee expired.

Realising he left it too late and he needs to do something, Moyes finally decides to loosen up and listen to the United scouts who have been tracking Herrera. He tells Woodward to go for it, but its too late in the day and the deal falls through.

Its conjecture, but all I have just written is very plausible and perhaps shows Woodward is taking more criticism than he deserves.

Thought it seemed a bit odd alright. Wasn't trying to stir or anything...just wondering. Cheers.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8906946/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has rejected talk that he is unhappy with David Moyes' coaching methods at Old Trafford.

Rumours surfaced suggesting Van Persie had not been impressed by Moyes' reign so far after replacing Sir Alex Ferguson at the helm of the Premier League champions.

However, the Dutchman, who is away on international duty with Holland, has moved to dispel the rumours and insists he is enjoying working under former Everton manager Moyes.

"It's great working with the new manager David Moyes," Van Persie is quoted as saying in De Telegraaf.

"He has his own style and methods and I like these.

"We are working very hard from the day we started our tour to Asia and Australia. This will result in good matches, that's for sure. There is a very good atmosphere at the club.

"I'm happy with the style of Moyes. He does his own training sessions, he's close with the players and prepares us with his staff very well for the next opponent. That keeps us in shape.

"Luckily, because the title of last year gave us hunger for more."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

What are the odds of Kagawa / Nani starting this weekend? Really want to bring in one of the two to my FF team..

Danger781 wrote: »
    What are the odds of Kagawa / Nani starting this weekend? Really want to bring in one of the two to my FF team..

Would say Nani, yes, Kagawa, No.

really want to see Kagawa starting, but will have a long flight back from Japan on Wednesday, so early game Saturday may not suit him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I actually would love someone from the future to spoiler this season for me. Would love to know if Moyes can win something or at least come close. I would settle for being competitive in the League and Champions League this season but would really like an FA Cup victory or something just to give him a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Danger781 wrote: »
    International break is on this weekend dude, the weekend after is the Crystal Palace game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Delighted the Palace game is on early Saturday morning too. Less time to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

GSPfan wrote: »
    I actually would love someone from the future to spoiler this season for me. Would love to know if Moyes can win something or at least come close. I would settle for being competitive in the League and Champions League this season but would really like an FA Cup victory or something just to give him a trophy.

I have come from the future to tell you
    Moyes can win something or at least come close this season.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »

175987176.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Nailz wrote: »
    International break is on this weekend dude, the weekend after is the Crystal Palace game.

Sorry, so used to saying this weekend :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

The "Van Persie is unhappy" rumours are coming from ABU elements. We'll be in for this sort of thing for the first couple of years of Moyes' reign. UNITED we stand, divided we fall and all that. I remember Van Persie's interview after the charity shield and to me it looks like he is ready for the fight.

We had a poor game against Liverpool and he has the right to be annoyed based on that. Chalk it off and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I have come from the future to tell you
    Moyes can win something or at least come close this season.

Whoahh man doesn't that usually cost like €100 or something to give that sort of info out...order him to pay you now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

The "Van Persie is unhappy" rumours are coming from ABU elements. We'll be in for this sort of thing for the first couple of years of Moyes' reign. UNITED we stand, divided we fall and all that. I remember Van Persie's interview after the charity shield and to me it looks like he is ready for the fight.

We had a poor game against Liverpool and he has the right to be annoyed based on that. Chalk it off and move on.

"for the first couple of years of Moyes' reign" - I admire your optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Premier League 2012/13
    Player Games Goals Shots Assists Chances created Aerial duels won
    Michael Carrick 36 1 12 4 37 17
    Marouane Fellaini 31 11 65 5 40 151
    Tom Cleverley 22 2 14 2 19 4

When you look at those stats you realize how bad our central midfield is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    A question I'd genuinely like to ask is, how do you measure "OK"? You look for an opinion on "what went ok", but that's like asking "what went poorly"....

How do you measure OK?

Seriously, at this stage of the season, how do you measure OK?

Rate it out of 10???? 10 what? 10 being Ronaldo? Serious? Ronaldo? Give me a break. Ronaldo is a 7 compared to some (see what I did there??)

Here's a question, how would you have rated the signing of Veron? How would you have rated the signing of Keane? How would you have rated the signing of Bebe, Anderson, Young, Massimo Taibi, etc...

People creaming all over themselves looking for X out of 10, when the only way to rate anything....anything is by results ffs. Just quit with the on-going "rate this transfer window" sh**e and see what the results bring.

I've two posts outlining my thoughts on the window earlier in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's of no use to use the stats of last season when Fellaini played as #10 whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Think you can blame Comolli more for that disaster :P

Yeah Bentley was another of Comolli's signings.He vastly overpaid on a lot of mediocre players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's of no use to use the stats of last season when Fellaini played as #10 whole season.

Tom won 4 headers last season for a central midfielder that is pathetic. At least Fellaini will give some competitive advantage in the center now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement