Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Has anyone read this piece on the Guardian

Some bits highlighted

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/04/manchester-united-ander-herrera-transfer-farce
    United's information is that earlier this summer a forged email, purporting to originate from Old Trafford and reputedly confirming their interest in a player, was sent to another club in an apparent attempt to trigger a rival bid and increase the price. That player has subsequently moved, for significant money, with the buying club under the false impression they were beating United to him

United are taken aback, for example, by the latest suggestion they challenged Arsenal for Mesut Ozil. The truth is that United and Manchester City were both offered the player three weeks ago. United turned it down because they had already made up their mind that Wayne Rooney would not be leaving and they did not want to break their transfer record, paying upwards of £40m, for someone who plays in the same position.

Rooney's determination to force a transfer, with a proactive agent in Paul Stretford, and Chelsea doing everything they could to push it has been such a major issue at Old Trafford it is estimated to have taken up more than half the time that United's top-level officials have devoted to working on player arrivals and departures

United, however, are angry about the suggestion, emanating from the Herrera farce, that a club of their stature and transfer experience somehow failed to understand the Spanish tax system – and bewildered, more than anything, that they are supposed to have employed three lawyers they say they had never heard of.

Also, this
    United had not wanted to overrule Moyes and promised they would keep their squad together, with the exception of Bébé
    :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wonder who the player is that the article refers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I wonder who the player is that the article refers to.

Thiago?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

bullvine wrote: »
    Thiago?

Thiago had a low buyout clause which was met by Munich. Don't think involving Utd would have changed much with it. Maybe one of the Spurs signings

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My first instinct would have been City, given it says "rivals". I know we were briefly linked with Jovotec?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Nolars wrote: »
    Tom won 4 headers last season for a central midfielder that is pathetic. At least Fellaini will give some competitive advantage in the center now.

Not writting off those stats, just that chance creation and goal/assists stats won't be same as he will played deeper.

IMO superb addition to the team but at least in this case I won't be using the attacking stats as he played behind striker and this season his role will be much different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Has anyone read this piece on the Guardian

Some bits highlighted

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/04/manchester-united-ander-herrera-transfer-farce

Also, this

:pac:

Reports in their own paper contradict pieces in that article.

No doubt this is what Woodward told Taylor is the 'reality' of the situation, but I don't know if Woodwards 'reality' is the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

a Summer United are champions and boasting we have the 'best squad' because of every other teams inept performance last season

Sorry, but what a load of absolutely bollocks that is. The fact is, 89 points has only been bettered once in the previous 7 seasons. City failed to be as close as the second place side generally are. Their problem, not ours.

United got the points total that should be expected of the champions. Not our fault the gap was so big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

v3ttel wrote: »
    Sorry, but what a load of absolutely bollocks that is. The fact is, 89 points has only been bettered once in the previous 7 seasons. City failed to be as close as the second place side generally are. Their problem, not ours.

United got the points total that should be expected of the champions. Not our fault the gap was so big.

While I agree with you about the squad been strong last season , But you would have to admit City and to a lesser degree Chelsea both under performed which helped us a lot and therefore the strength of the squad was never really tested or put under any great pressure,
    As you said not your problem but was a factor.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    While I agree with you about the squad been strong last season , But you would have to admit City and to a lesser degree Chelsea both under performed which helped us a lot and therefore the strength of the squad was never really tested or put under any great pressure,
    As you said not your problem but was a factor.

Strength of the squad was tested to the limit tbh.

Vidic missed half of the season and in the second half he was not fully fit so missed many games. Played only 18 games in the league.

Jones and Smalling were injured almost all season. Started 23 league games between them.

Rooney had a very stop start season and he started only 22 league games.

Nani was injured almost all season and was barely match fit. Started only 7 games.

Kagawa had very stop start season because of the injuries. Started only 17 games.

Even Young (who was a squad played) was injured most of the time. Anderson barely kicked the ball.

Even with all these injury problems we did very well, our squad was huge and we had good enough replacements.

Vidic, Nani, Rooney, even Kagawa are all very good players but we barely missed them, except maybe Vidic as once he came back our defense improved immensely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

From what I hear, Moyes likes to do extensive homework on transfer targets before taking the plunge on them. I'm not defending what was a fairly awful window, but I don't think Woodward deserves the massive criticism he's getting. Not when people don't know exactly what happened behind closed doors...

I do think we will go back in January for Coentrao at least, possibly Herrera as well.

With the hireing of a new manager, a complete change of back room staff, new scouting assignments / targets. This window was always going to be awkward. Granted, the men in change don't seem to have handled it well, but I do think lessons will be learned, I can't see us being so inept in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So where do start with this .

1 x False email supposedly from Old Trafford
    1x bid fake bid to raise another's players value that we didn't want
    3 x lawyers fake ones at that trying to complete a deal for a player

Its like a script for a cheap tv movie ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Fenix wrote: »
    With the hireing of a new manager, a complete change of back room staff, new scouting assignments / targets. This window was always going to be awkward. Granted, the men in change don't seem to have handled it well, but I do think lessons will be learned, I can't see us being so inept in future.

The biggest problem imo is the Change of manager and CE in the same.

Gill did a lot of work for the club that seems to have gone unnoticed when a succesor was lined up. woodward is fine for a ceo imo but we need someone on the transfer side of things that knows how the market worked

Moyes may have shown the board a bit too much respect since he is new. he could exactly go in demanding X,Y,Z players to be bought as i imagine fergie could. he is also shopping for a different calibre of player now so his old scouting info might not be useful. The board are at fault too in this as they should have known this would happen

It was always going to be messy bring in a new CE and manager the same window but i dont think any manager would have done much better than moyes tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Gatling wrote: »
    So where do start with this .

1 x False email supposedly from Old Trafford
    1x bid fake bid to raise another's players value that we didn't want
    3 x lawyers fake ones at that trying to complete a deal for a player

Its like a script for a cheap tv movie ,

3 x lawyers fake ones at that trying to complete a deal for a player - they werent 'fake lawyers', they were reputable sports lawyers in Spain. The only mystery is who sent them to the Spanish FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I know this is the transfer, etc thread but does the constant player recruitment not wreck your heads? I'm going to forget about transfer speculation until next Summer. Need a break from it.

It's impossible to guess what goes on behind the scenes (especially after this Summer's debacle).

I know this is the transfer, etc thread but does the constant player recruitment not wreck your heads? I'm going to forget about transfer speculation until next Summer. Need a break from it.

It's impossible to guess what goes on behind the scenes (especially after this Summer's debacle).
    You're going to want to leave this thread in December/January so.

I think it merits discussion - particularly given what happened over the last week or two, and the fact United don't play again til Saturday next week, so there is little else to discuss.

Its this god damn international break and because of it theres is SFA to talk about apart from how many times rooneys been booted in the head this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It was a farcical transfer window and I hope lessons have been learned.This time next year if we are still talking about the comical attempts to buy players then I would hope there are people made to answer for it.
    As bad as it was I would still expect it to improve ,Moyes and Woodward both new to their jobs and mistakes were made ,hopefully it doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

yabadabado wrote: »
    It was a farcical transfer window and I hope lessons have been learned.This time next year if we are still talking about the comical attempts to buy players then I would hope there are people made to answer for it.
    As bad as it was I would still expect it to improve ,Moyes and Woodward both new to their jobs and mistakes were made ,hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I'd like to think with Moyes having been there a while he will have his targets identified and wrapped up before the window opens for the most part for next season. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nani has signed a 5 year contract. Get in!
    Manchester United
    Breaking: Nani signs new five-year contract with #mufc to June 2018. David Moyes: "I'm really pleased. He has great ability and experience."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 24s
    Breaking: Nani signs new five-year contract with #mufc to June 2018. David Moyes: "I'm really pleased. He has great ability and experience."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Nani has signed a 5 year contract. Get in!

Thats brilliant news, as far as I remember he was in the last year already so could have walked for free next Summer.

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 47s
    Manchester United winger Nani signs new five-year contract #SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Cracking news!! Delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

yabadabado wrote: »

Moyes has always taken his time over transfers so it was almost to be expected that he would not make numerous or quick signings in his first window. While Woodward is the guy that's negotiating the actual deals, it's Moyes who will have the final say.

Despite all the players that United were linked to in the media, I think that Fabregas was the only one Moyes spoke about openly, and we can be sure he would have wanted him.

Other than Baines and Fellaini, who he already knows, I doubt Moyes would have been confident enough to approve of players he wasn't so aware of previously, or recommended by United scouts who he may not have had 100% confidence in.

I think Kew already mentioned that he made might be disappointed in the coaching standards at United due to the lack of (quality) youth players coming through in recent years.

He was known as Dithering Dave, prudent would be more accurate, but there was little chance of Moyes actually signing most of the players United were linked to.

• Advertisement

Nani signs new deal
    Manchester United is delighted to announce that Nani has signed a new five year contract to June 2018.

The Portuguese winger signed for United in May 2007 and has won four Barclays Premier League titles, two League Cups, a FIFA Club World Cup and the UEFA Champions League in his six seasons at Old Trafford.

David Moyes said: "I'm really pleased Nani has re-signed for the next five years. He has great ability and experience beyond his 26 years. I've been impressed with his approach to training and look forward to working with him in the coming seasons."

Nani said: "Playing at United has been a fantastic experience for me. When I came to the Club, I never imagined the success we have enjoyed. Training every day with top players who want to win trophies every year is a great motivation to me. I'm very happy that the new manager has shown this faith in me and I'm looking forward to helping the team compete for more honours this season."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2013/Sep/Nani-new-contract.aspx

FAN-FUKING-TASTIC news on Nani.

I really do think if Moyes shows faith in him, and especially if he is played from the right (with chance to roam) he could be excellent for us again. He has the talent, I think he just lacked the confidence under Fergie. Hopefully the new start is what he needed.

Possibly the best actual winger in the league.

Absolutely delighted.

RVP
    Kagawa--Rooney-Nani

Get that front 4 working together and on form, with Fellaini and Carrick behind, and we'll be tough to stop in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That's great news and hopefully he gets a proper chance to show his worth at RW.

Transfer window closed ,we have kept all the players and signed a CM that will instantly improve the first eleven.Things have turned out better than it was looking Monday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Brilliant news with regards Nani, shows great intend on the part of both Nani & Moyes, he was a goner for sure I would've thought before Moyesie came in.

Said when Moyes was appointed that improving on last years performances (if not results) could be easier than we generally think. Improve CM and get the wingers playing to the levels they are capable of = instant massive improvement. Keeping Nani is a big step in the right direction in that regard. Fingers crossed the new contract will be the confidence booster I hope it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nani resigning is the best news this summer tbh. Great player and he needs to play from the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Brilliant News!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

RVP
    Kagawa--Rooney-Nani

Get that front 4 working together and on form, with Fellaini and Carrick behind, and we'll be tough to stop in the league.

That's the formation I was thinking about and with Rafael and Evra to support the wing play then I am much more confidant this year. Finally the team looks balanced without forcing a Giggs, Cleverley or Jones into the mix.

Now the dust has settled I am actually so looking forward to seeing Fellaini in action and he could well be a bargain even at £27.5M

Good to see some positive posts in 1 full page.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

FAN-FUKING-TASTIC news on Nani.

I really do think if Moyes shows faith in him, and especially if he is played from the right (with chance to roam) he could be excellent for us again. He has the talent, I think he just lacked the confidence under Fergie. Hopefully the new start is what he needed.

Possibly the best actual winger in the league.

Absolutely delighted.

RVP
    Kagawa--Rooney-Nani

Most of his fans say Kagawa should be in the centre and he can't play to his best out left. He might have to work on that as Rooney starts and Danny and Ashley might be favoured on the left if Kagawa doesn't improve.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

5 years, fantastic news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Excellent news on Nani. Get him back playing every week and he will be hitting his peak with us. Delighted

I see the anti-depressants have kicked in.:pac:

Thats great hes re-signed and hopefully he pushes on with new motivation

Most of his fans say Kagawa should be in the centre and he can't play to his best out left. He might have to work on that as Rooney starts and Danny and Ashley might be favoured on the left if Kagawa doesn't improve.

Yeah - people say that.

But a couple of things:

He has played from wide - both for Dortmund and Japan, to accomodate other players.

Also, I wouldn't be playing him as a traditional winger. I'd be playing him as a play maker from wide - see how Silva has played at City, or how Hazard and Mata have played at Chelsea. I wouldn't be looking for him to take on the full back and get to the byline to whip the ball in - I'd be looking for him to come inside and use Evra on the overlap as a passing option or a way of creating space for himself. With regards to Moyes possibly using him in that way - Pienaar played similarly at Everton last season. Coming in off the left side with baines providing the width. That, or a slight adaptation of it, shouldn't be beyond Kagawa or Moyes.

Yes, it isn't the absolutely ideal way of using him - but I see it as the only practical one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

NTMK wrote: »
    I see the anti-depressants have kicked in.:pac:

Thats great hes resigned and hopefully he pushes on with new motivation

:O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Am I in the right thread? All the positivity would lead me to think I'm completely lost! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Am I in the right thread? All the positivity would lead me to think I'm completely lost! :)

Our Year!!!:P

I dunno, our menopause could flare up again! Hot flush anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

In a 442 it wouldnt work but in a 4231 he would be able to drift in and intercgane with rooney, the width would be provided by the full backs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Nani is like a...........

NEW SIGNING

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Just to sum up the vibe right now :)

nani-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Great news on Nani so hopefully he now gets a good run of games & gets the chance to build up some consistency over the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Love Nani.

1234652_10151668766812746_1323027731_n.jpg

Dat chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

****ing delighted about Nani. One of my favourite players at the club.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement