Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nani RW as a proper winger beating his man and getting crosses in the box and Kagawa playing LW but coming in from the wing and Evra providing the overlap could work really well.
    I think Kagawa's best position is behind the striker and he will get some time there but he is more than capable doing a good job from LW in a 4-2-3-1 set up.
    4-2-3-1 is the strongest line up and has players playing in their best positions(I think Rooney is better than Kagawa in the centre and Kagawa can be our best LW) and isn't shoehorning anyone into an area they shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Yeah - people say that.

But a couple of things:

He has played from wide - both for Dortmund and Japan, to accomodate other players.

Also, I wouldn't be playing him as a traditional winger. I'd be playing him as a play maker from wide - see how Silva has played at City, or how Hazard and Mata have played at Chelsea. I wouldn't be looking for him to take on the full back and get to the byline to whip the ball in - I'd be looking for him to come inside and use Evra on the overlap as a passing option or a way of creating space for himself. With regards to Moyes possibly using him in that way - Pienaar played similarly at Everton last season. Coming in off the left side with baines providing the width. That, or a slight adaptation of it, shouldn't be beyond Kagawa or Moyes.

Yes, it isn't the absolutely ideal way of using him - but I see it as the only practical one.

Reckon this is exactly why he was looking for a new left back and specifically Baines because he would be used to that set up. I often feel Evra can look laboured getting back in position once he's joined the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I told ye Moyes wanted Nani to stay 2 months ago when every paper said different.

Well done Uncle, well done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's great to see Nani signing 5 year contract. That's a very long contract and shows how highly Moyes rate him. I think when Nani is fit he will be our first choice winger for sure.

When was the last time we offered 5 year contract? Because we usually offers 4 year contract..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ericzeking wrote: »
    Reckon this is exactly why he was looking for a new left back and specifically Baines because he would be used to that set up. I often feel Evra can look laboured getting back in position once he's joined the attack.

I don't think he's as bad as people make out.

The difference for me is delivery. Baines can cross a ball much much better than Evra. RVP from Baines crosses would be tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Anybody that signs a 5 year deal in football in the last 12 -18 months ends up being sold within the next season or two for decent money ,

Glad he's committed to a new contract let's hope he's actually used properly this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

lordgoat wrote: »
    I don't think he's as bad as people make out.

The difference for me is delivery. Baines can cross a ball much much better than Evra. RVP from Baines crosses would be tasty.

I would imagine Moyes sees fullbacks as providing the width, with 1 CM always sitting, this would allow the front 4 and 1 CM to interchange. Can't see us playing with 2 traditional wingers much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I told ye Moyes wanted Nani to stay 2 months ago when every paper said different.

Well done Uncle, well done:D

2262246.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I think I can finally change my tagline from "NANI. MUST. STAY" to "NANI. IS. STAYING". Brilliant news, and 5 years too. It ties him down for the best years of his career. I actually punched the air when I heard it.

Play him on the right every week. Between that and the finally getting a new CM, it's not been a bad week after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We need a Nani song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Don't think I've been this happy and relieved at a contract extension since Rooney's in 2010.

Just wait until Bebe sign his inevitable extension soon. The Boards servers will go down with joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The Bebe thing actually irritates me now. Not singling any posters out it just reminds me of what a corrupt transfer that was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Gatling wrote: »
    Anybody that signs a 5 year deal in football in the last 12 -18 months ends up being sold within the next season or two for decent money ,

Glad he's committed to a new contract let's hope he's actually used properly this season

Is that an opinion or fact!

Mega boast for united, I thought it was lunacy the 10-12million price, however true it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The Bebe thing actually irritates me now. Not singling any posters out it just reminds me of what a corrupt transfer that was

It irritates me because it simply isn't funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sure contracts arnt worth their ****e tbh, he could still be sold next summer.

But it gives a great piece of mind that the player knows where he stands, and has a sense of security. Also shows that Moyes rates him.

Hopefully we can see Nani back to his devastting ( and frustrating) best this year. Was by far the best winger in the league before picking up all those little niggly injuries.

As someone else mentioned, Nani working in tandum with Kagawa, Rooney and RVP with Fellaini and Carrick behind looks amazing on paper. Interesting to see if we operate with a free floating front four with Carrick and Fellaini holding, or if we stick to a rigid 4-4-2 : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

We need a Nani song.

I already have one for the past year...but seen as alot of people hated him, i felt it wouldnt take off.

will get a rattle at some ground in the next months and see how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I already have one for the past year...but seen as alot of people hated him, i felt it wouldnt take off.

Do you know anything about this singing section they are doing for the Liverpool game?

RasTa wrote: »
    Do you know anything about this singing section they are doing for the Liverpool game?

nope your the only person i heard on about it,will ask Tufty about it though.

in saying that, i think the police stopped it this time and no way they would allow Liverpool fans in tier 3 due to safety issues...

• Advertisement

im sure some of you will find this amusing....

6ft 2,
    Eyes of blue,
    Woodie aint got a f*cking clue
    With a knick knack paddy whack,
    Give a dog a bone,
    We still dont know why he flew home

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Absolutely over the moon at the Nani news. It would have been an utter disaster if he was let go, especially for pittance.

As has been said on numerous occasions over the past few years, it is idiotic for clubs to sell their best players just as they're entering their prime.

I can't wait to see what he does. Zaha on one wing, Nani on the other and Kagawa in the hole* (in Rooneys absence) would be just what the doctor ordered. Doubt it'll happen. I'd love to be surprised though.

* Obligatory Mick McCarthy gif.

mick.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Nani is the closest player we have ever had to Andy Cole. Both need a manager to say " you are our first choice player in your position".

Way before boards, I told friends that if Cole ever got number 9, it would change him as a player. It did. Funnily enough he used to wear number 17...

I would love Nani to get the number 7. It would the ultimate reassurance that he is valued and loved by the club. If he then got a run in the team, I think it would be the making of him as a United player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

On the issue of jersey numbers, what's going to happen to 11 if/when Giggs retires?

Are there any plans in place to retire it? Chelsea retired 25 when Zola left. Surely Giggs is deserving of some recognition?

Of course, this problem may not have to be dealt with for another couple of years :pac:.

On the issue of jersey numbers, what's going to happen to 11 if/when Giggs retires?

Bale will flop and we will get him for pittance...

Are there any plans in place to retire it? Chelsea retired 25 when Zola left. Surely Giggs is deserving of some recognition?

Of course, this problem may not have to be dealt with for another couple of years :pac:.

I hope we keep the number 11 and give it to a worthy youngster we either have or will bring in. Imagine being handed the number 11 after Giggs wore it for all those years. It would be amazing for the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'm not into the idea of retiring shirt numbers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

This. ****ing pointless retiring shirt numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

It irritates me because it simply isn't funny.

Yeah I think it was funny at first in a wtf are we at kinda thing but looking back it was just a total waste.

Agree. Can remember players in plenty of other ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wouldn't be a fan of retiring numbers but maybe leave it vacant for the season after Giggs retires.
    Best of both worlds,a nod to Giggs for all his service to the club and then hand the jersey to a player,who the clubs thinks is worthy of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What was it?

Something like the "na-nana-nana-naaah-na" bit from Free from desire song

"na-nana-nana-Nani"

Actually maybe not lol :)

retiring numbers is silly in football maby you could dedicate a number to a player ie write ryan giggs in small writing inside the border or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Great interview on Bt sport with Zaha

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fellaini: "My transfer went through at 10.59pm. For 5 minutes, I was in bits, I had no idea if the document had gone through"

I am not in favour of retiring shirt numbers.

I am in favour of players retiring...

• Advertisement

Fabio Coentrão was reduced to tears & had to be consoled by Nani & Ronaldo after his move to Manchester United collapsed. [talkSPORT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd have no problem with retiring 11 when Giggs is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

RobertKK wrote: »
    Fabio Coentrão was reduced to tears & had to be consoled by Nani & Ronaldo after his move to Manchester United collapsed. [talkSPORT]

He'll come in Jan and everything will be ok, Fabio. Hush now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sounds like it was made up on Twitter or something. I find the idea of Coentrao crying with Ronaldo and Nani around him saying "There, there. It's okay." a bit too unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If this did happen I feel sorry for the poor lad, he obviously hates being at Madrid.... Hopefully United will buy him in January.

• Advertisement

Are there any plans in place to retire it?

I certainly hope not.

At its core, retiring the number is in some way saying that this player was bigger than the club and that the club will never be able to replace that player. That nobody will ever be better than that player, that nobody will ever be able to reach those heights again.

As you can imagine, that really doesn't sit well with me, not for Manchester United. The club goes on, no matter who the player is the club is bigger than him and will continue to thrive. Its the clubs number, Giggs is only borrowing it for a time and the honor is his.

Besides, there were a lot of better players than Ryan Giggs that didn't have the numbers retired for them, I doubt it will be done for him.

Besides, there were a lot of better players than Ryan Giggs that didn't have the numbers retired for them, I doubt it will be done for him.

you'll struggle to name players who had a career likes Giggs. Only Maldini in recent generation comes close IMO, when he does retire it will be akin to Fergie going in terms of impact on the club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

you'll struggle to name players who had a career likes Giggs. Only Maldini in recent generation comes close IMO, when he does retire it will be akin to Fergie going in terms of impact on the club.

Giggs retiring will have no impact on the club at all. Comparing it to Ferguson retiring is ludicrous.

Giggs retiring will have no impact on the club at all. Comparing it to Ferguson retiring is ludicrous.

why do you call it ludicrous, and then not explain why?

Giggs is the most decorated player in the history of our club, has won it all, seen it all. him retiring, will be a sad day for the club, an end of an era and while it wont be as emotional as Fergie, it certainly will have a big impact. i think giggs is the one player who embodies the success the club has had on the pitch in the past 20 years and the last real link to the days when success was not taken for granted. the only difference is he will still be involved off as a coach i hope, but its not the same.

while i get where your coming from, calling it ludicrous is OTT and no need to be acting like that over something that shouldnt really bother you!

To be blunt, at this stage Giggs retiring will be greeted with sighs of relief by many fans.

And as to your first point, Giggs isn't even the best left winger to play for the club. If the number wasn't retired for George Best, then it certainly won't be for Ryan Giggs.

also im not sure if giggs was ever the best player in the world fergie was the worlds best manager for years imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

To be blunt, at this stage Giggs retiring will be greeted with sighs of relief by many fans.

And as to your first point, Giggs isn't even the best left winger to play for the club. If the number wasn't retired for George Best, then it certainly won't be for Ryan Giggs.

Being able to maintain a high standard of football over a long period of time is something Giggs has been able to do for about 18 years and unfortunately Best only did for about 7 years. Its hard to say but I think I'd take Giggs 18 years of being a great player to Best's 7 years of being the Best.
    also im not sure if giggs was ever the best player in the world fergie was the worlds best manager for years imo

Its harder to be the best player in the world than the best manager tbf though. Giggs was definitely up there in the late 90s early 00's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

If Zaha comes on in the next season and a half he will end up with number 11 I reckon. Or will players pass it up like the number 7?

i disagree and i think its a matter of opinion to be honest. better player is one thing, being a club legend is another and Giggs defines that.

by the way, he number 11 is not that associated with Best, he wore 7 alot of the time, as well as 8.

IIRC, he wore 7 at Wembley for instance, though i could be wrong on that. Players didnt have numbers back then, but i think our part of affiliation to the number 7 jersey was due to Best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

while i get where your coming from, calling it ludicrous is OTT and no need to be acting like that over something that shouldnt really bother you!

I had to double check there. Are you seriously pulling somebody else up for being 'OTT'?? Following it with "no need to be acting like that over something that shouldn't really bother you" almost tops it :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement