Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

G.K. wrote: »
    Januzaj would be welcome at ER, if you're willing to send him that way.

Could ye use him though? I mean would ye play him in the position he would be most adept at or would he get shoe horned (Fergie style ;)) into the team somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

G.K. wrote: »
    Januzaj would be welcome at ER, if you're willing to send him that way.

We gave you Wotton, don't get greedy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Manchester United are privately mystified and annoyed at the widespread criticism of their transfer-window dealings.

The champions brought in David Moyes’s No1 target, Marouane Fellaini, and managed to retain the heavyweight services of Wayne Rooney, who had flirted with a move to Chelsea.

Supporters, though, wanted more.

It is understood that Manchester United did not want to be rushed into the wrong signings, or what they considered overpriced signings like Ander ­Herrera. They expect to be busier in the next two windows, not necessarily January, but certainly next summer.

However frustrating in the short term for fans who understandably want the team strengthened, the club’s long-term commitment to Moyes means they take a more phlegmatic, longer view.
    The club now have time to work with Moyes, establishing his targets.

He will be given “patience and money” to build his squad, according to a United source. The champions are actively scouting a left-back, a high-class centre-back and a central midfielder (a process that has been ongoing since 2007).

“This was always going to be a difficult transfer window with a new manager,’’ the United source said, “but the club wouldn’t change anything we did in the transfer window.

"We’ve kept Wayne, our biggest concern. We’ve got a lot of talent in with Fellaini and Guillermo Varela [the Uruguayan full-back]. [Wilfried] Zaha is in the squad and Adnan [Januzaj] has been promoted. No one’s gone out. We’ve got a big squad.”

Big but not heavyweight, argue many supporters.

The Guardian

There a few things in this article that will throw some folk into a rage! :pac:

A few others might say it's a propaganda leak by a "a United source", or just made up by Henry Winter!

To me it indicates that the club is very focused and have very clear goals. :D

It's interesting, or suspicious, that it mentions Willian, Ozil and "a £26 million bid reportedly offered" for Herrera, but not a word on Fabregas! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Before the manager change Cesc may have left with the provision Barca needed money to buy Thiago Silva. New manager provided an incentive for him to stay and next summer Barca might not need to balance the books. Throw in the advancing years of Xavi and I think that opportunity has passed now.

Time to focus on Ronaldo again :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Before the manager change Cesc may have left with the provision Barca needed money to buy Thiago Silva. New manager provided an incentive for him to stay and next summer Barca might not need to balance the books. Throw in the advancing years of Xavi and I think that opportunity has passed now.

Time to focus on Ronaldo again :-p

That contract renewal still doesn't seem to be signed . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The Guardian

A few others might say it's a propaganda leak by a "a United source", or just made up by Henry Winter!

To me it indicates that the club is very focused and have very clear goals. :D

It's interesting, or suspicious, that it mentions Willian, Ozil and "a £26 million bid reportedly offered" for Herrera, but not a word on Fabregas! ;)
    Not a Utd fan, was just lurking, but I thought that was a fairly obvious bit of damage control there. If Fellaini was their #1 target, why not pay the release clause a month ago?

The idea of them being "mystified" by fans discontent strikes me as absurd. Even if they dsagreed with it, being "mystified" seems very unlikely. They know how transfer windows work, with hysteria over every supposed flaw in the squad not being addressed, and every player someone else signs being met with "why weren't we in for him?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The Guardian

i dont think people can get any more angry now until if/when bad results happen. hopefully it wont come to that stage but i have a worry that some tough times are ahead and it could all have been avoided. if Fellaini was a top target, he should have been signed in July and thats it - allowing time then to focus on other players. we can expect a new LB, CB and CM as our next 3 signings then also over the coming 12 months.

it is very worrying to see however repeated claims that the club dont really see much wrong with the past 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Fellaini's release clause scenario really shows this deal for what it was. Fellaini was not their first target. Fellaini was a fall back plan which went wrong.

It's over now. We have a very good player for a few million more than we should have and everyone is happy. That's the story and we are sticking to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

GSPfan wrote: »
    Fellaini's release clause scenario really shows this deal for what it was. Fellaini was not their first target. Fellaini was a fall back plan which went wrong.

It's over now. We have a very good player for a few million more than we should have and everyone is happy. That's the story and we are sticking to it.

How exactly did Fellaini "as a fall back plan" go wrong?

i dont think people can get any more angry now until if/when bad results happen. hopefully it wont come to that stage but i have a worry that some tough times are ahead and it could all have been avoided. if Fellaini was a top target, he should have been signed in July and thats it - allowing time then to focus on other players. we can expect a new LB, CB and CM as our next 3 signings then also over the coming 12 months.

it is very worrying to see however repeated claims that the club dont really see much wrong with the past 3 months.
    A post full of positivity.

It's not just the club that dont see much wrong over the past 3 months, a fair amount of level headed fans don't so too much wrong with it either......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

I honestly think we had a chance. We just did not approach it right.

Like you say money talks.

imo it was not the "no chance" deal some were thinking.

Really?

But in Ozil's case, they just spent 86m on Bale and Carlo said Di Maria was his preferred back up........so Ozil was available. Ozil was also very clearly frustrated with being subbed and not assured about his future in public by the manager or board.

Contrast this with Barca and Cesc - They rejected bids, they all came out saying no one wants to leave nor do the board want him to leave, he was a key player for them, he done a press conference expressing his desire to stay.........

I really feel some fans are holding on to air with the Cesc thing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

master-t wrote: »
    Really?

But in Ozil's case, they just spent 86m on Bale and Carlo said Di Maria was his preferred back up........so Ozil was available. Ozil was also very clearly frustrated with being subbed and not assured about his future in public by the manager or board.

Contrast this with Barca and Cesc - They rejected bids, they all came out saying no one wants to leave nor do the board want him to leave, he was a key player for them, he done a press conference expressing his desire to stay.........

I really feel some fans are holding on to air with the Cesc thing.....

Yes I do think we had a chance.

Its gone now, but right money and things would have been interesting.

kippy wrote: »
    A post full of positivity.

It's not just the club that dont see much wrong over the past 3 months, a fair amount of level headed fans don't so too much wrong with it either......

what would you class as a fair amount? the vast majority of United fans are not happy with the transfer policy this summer. the vast majortiy have no confidencce in our new CE.

and lol at your "level headed" dig, what was that word that people used a few days ago....condescending i think it was.

do you think that the fact that practically every expert/journalist/pundit in the land is slamming the club means they are all idiots/liers/bulls*itter/drama queens/doom merchants and what ever else you seem to think those who slag off Woodie are?

we have labelled the board embarassing all summer - its the one word practically every top journalist would use to sum up the window, but hey....what do we all know, according to you we are all clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Interesting to see what happens with Ronaldo this season, if he doesn't sign a contract I can see him coming back after the world cup. No way Real will let him wind down his contract on a free.

bullvine wrote: »
    Interesting to see what happens with Ronaldo this season, if he doesn't sign a contract I can see him coming back after the world cup. No way Real will let him wind down his contract on a free.

im still confident we will see Ronaldo back, but not as much as i was. considering Fergie is gone and given what has unfolded recently, would you blame him for not wanting to join? IMO it looked nailed on he would join in 2014, a few months back, but i think this is reducing rapidly now and i fear he will change his mind.

Woodie would probably think we would get him for £15million anyway. Fergies future influence in the club will be the key factor in him joining IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Saying that you don't see much wrong is basically saying that United did everything they needed to do.

Forgeting all the drama of the summer, United had a serious need for several midfielders to reinforce a badly deficient area of the team. They only signed one player.

So I would say that it was an objectively bad summer transfer wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It is funny that people, seemingly including those at United, say United had a good window.

We went for two left backs, and got none.

We looked at getting Thiago, Fabregas, Modric, Di Rossi, Khaderi and Herrera - and got none of them. From what I hear we also put in some time to seeing if we could bring Ronaldo or Bale in.

How can the club indentify needs as indicated by the number of players enquired or bid for, sign none of them, and still think it was grand?

oh lord, as much an all as i hate the ****, this has to be the worst written article ive ever seen.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/336986/Manchester-United-fans-call-for-Ed-Woodward-to-be-sacked-for-signing-Marouane-Fellaini

there is so much fail in it, i dont even know where to start. its a wonder the irish version didnt do the same and quote us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

The Guardian

Good article. Interesting that Utd didn't want Ozil, great faith put in Rooney & Kagawa.

I like that Utd want him to get to know the squad, rather than just overhaul it in one window. There needs to be continuity, something that other clubs lack.

Fellaini is a good signing. Will do a good job in CM and can add a threat at set pieces.

Exciting times ahead. I would imagine we'll do some business in January, Baines may be looked at again as he won't be CL-tied, though neither will Herrera.

Looking forward to football starting again, especially with Ireland (hopefully) winning tonight!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

oh lord, as much an all as i hate the ****, this has to be the worst written article ive ever seen.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/336986/Manchester-United-fans-call-for-Ed-Woodward-to-be-sacked-for-signing-Marouane-Fellaini

there is so much fail in it, i dont even know where to start. its a wonder the irish version didnt do the same and quote us here.

Transfer season is over, so papers are now trolling forums for stories! Ha ha! Brilliant.

I'm terribly angry and very confused at transfer dealings over the summer. Hi Mam! :)

I'm not angry or confused, but would like to say hello to my mam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Man utd would never slate themselves publicly. That's just not what happens.

I'm hoping they are carrying out an internal analysis about what went wrong, what they could have done better, and how to put it right next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Such nonsense! First 11 needed to be improved and it has with the addition of Fellaini.

How can the club indentify needs as indicated by the number of players enquired or bid for, sign none of them, and still think it was grand?

Ive said this many times but here again:
    1. United held onto key players. In a time of transition that is almost more important that buying anyone in, especially when those key players won the league last season.
    2. United managed to sign a midfielder with PL experience and a proven track record, albeit at a "lower" league club. Yeah, they didnt get any more midfielders, but that's why there are transfer windows every 6 months or so. The manager will have spent longer in the job next time round, know who and who isnt in his plans and work from there.
    3 As I said, name a club who publicilly get all their targets every year - it doesnt happen.

I just think the media/pundits etc generally stir sh1t up and some fans just lap it up.
    There are some I believe who wouldn't be happy with United even if they managed to sign the spainish guy as well because he wasnt a big enough name etc. Ultimately the club are in huge flux at present and there are a serious amount of people only happy to see it slip down the league. It's key that they players there and the new manager have time to assess things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

If we had of just went out and bought Fellaini without all the sideshows that have gone on i would have been happy enough with the summers dealings. Its the failed public attempts to sign players that has left a sour taste with me but anyways onwards and upwards. Sure January is only around the corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Steve Round on Fellaini:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8908412/marouane-fellaini-and-david-moyes-ready-for-manchester-united-says-steve-round

"I am sure Marouane will settle in very quickly and be an integral part of United's success in the future, I really do," Round told the Manchester Evening News.

"When David came here he looked at the squad and thought one of the players we needed to bring in was someone with those physical attributes in the middle of midfield who could give us strength and aggression in certain games and maybe allow one or two of the others to play.

"That, coupled with his ability to score, made him feel Marouane would be a really good acquisition for United.

"When you get to work with him every day, you get to realise that technically he is excellent. His chest control is arguably one of the best in the world. You can bang the ball at him from anywhere and he will bring it down on his chest and bring others into play.

"His feet and his technique work are really good. He is aggressive and tackles. He also has great fitness stats.

"When you are building a squad to compete on all fronts you don't want every single player to be the same. You want options and differences. In a certain game it might be Tom Cleverley and Carrick in midfield, it might be Fellaini and Carrick, or Fellaini and Anderson. There are different permutations.

"Marouane was ready for this step up. He'll fit in well with the professionalism here and relish the challenge.

"He is a 10-15 goals a season man and that is good from midfield.

"He can play number four, sat in front of the defence, he can play an eight in the centre doing box-to-box and can play a number 10 where he drops off the front man. That's valuable when the range of games is so varied."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Ultimately the club are in huge flux at present and there are a serious amount of people only happy to see it slip down the league. It's key that they players there and the new manager have time to assess things.

What are you on about?

Utd are reigning Champions, only goal difference prevented another hat trick of titles. The only flux occurs when some advertising salesman decides he knows a better way to conduct transfers than his predecessors and ends up making a fool of himself and the club.

What would Apple have done if Tim Cook turned the company into a laughing stock after he took over from Steve Jobs?

They'd have sacked him and it's not a good sign that Woodward still has his job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fellaini and Anderson.... now that I would like to see.

Fellaini and Anderson.... now that I would like to see.

was just going to say the same thing....we could see that against Palace IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

was just going to say the same thing....we could see that against Palace IMO.

Are you basing this on the fact that Carrick, Clev and Kagawa will be on international duty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Zico wrote: »
    it's not a good sign that Woodward still has his job.

Firstly.....with all the clubs talk about wanting stability, the first thing we should do after the transfer window is fire Ed Woodward. Seems logical, as that will make the club look a lot better, wouldn't it?

Secondly, calling for him to be sacked, when you have absolutely no idea what he does on a day to day basis, is a complete and utter joke.

Thirdly, there are hardly any people who offer their best in a new role within the first few months, but f*ck it, let's go down the Chelsea route...... let's give nobody any time. Sack them all.

Fourthly, using your logic of sacking people without instant success, Sir Alex wouldn't have lasted 3 months, nevermind 3 years before things started to improve. Anyone expecting instant and constant success is completely divorced of reality.

Fiftly, even from what little detail we know of what Ed Woodward was doing this Summer, did David Gill, Peter Kenyon or Martin Edwards, or f*ck it, any chief executive, never miss out on transfer targets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I would have thought that Moyes and Utd had decided early on that Fellaini was a target and nearly took it for granted he would sign for them. Pursued the "bigger" targets with Fellaini in the back of their mind and hoping to get him a bit cheaper.

I said at the start of the window that I hoped Utd would sort out the Rooney situation as early as possible as I saw it as a distraction from the main task of business, bringing in midfielders in the window and I think this proved to be the case also.

I'm pretty sure Utds intentions this summer were for three signings, two centre midfielders, one being Fellaini and a left back. They had Fellaini as their banker and possibly wanted Moyes first signing to be a player not from Everton, the "marquee" signing, ala Fabregas or Thiago.

Even though it ended up a complete mess in the end, and yes an embarrassment at least they got Fellaini signed, although they did their best to mess that up too.

I don't think Fellaini was ever a back up plan. I think Utd always intended on signing him.

Trilla wrote: »
    Are you basing this on the fact that Carrick, Clev and Kagawa will be on international duty?

yep pretty much. cant expect Carrick to play 3 games in what, 8 days.

also, we have first CL game and City coming up, so alot of changes will be made in the next few weeks, Nani back, Rooney to come in, Kagawa to come in.

hopefully Shinji gets a "bug" or somethign in the next day or two which will prevent him having to travel for a few days :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

v3ttel wrote: »

Fiftly, even from what little detail we know of what Ed Woodward was doing this Summer, did David Gill, Peter Kenyon or Martin Edwards, or f*ck it, any chief executive, never miss out on transfer targets?

I can't remember any of them presiding over so many failed attempted signings, low ball bids, dragging of feet in renewed offers, last ditch offers etc etc etc.

I don't think it is in any way unreasonable to question his position, no matter how short a time he has been in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

yep pretty much. cant expect Carrick to play 3 games in what, 8 days.

also, we have first CL game and City coming up, so alot of changes will be made in the next few weeks, Nani back, Rooney to come in, Kagawa to come in.

hopefully Shinji gets a "bug" or somethign in the next day or two which will prevent him having to travel for a few days :o

Kagawa should travel and play every single min of Japan games. All we hear is how unfit he is. so it's a good chance to get him match fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The forgotten man - Darren Fletcher, any news on him? Any hope that he'll ever get back to what he was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

It was a bad window imo.

Late Fellaini signing saved it from being a terrible one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

RikkFlair wrote: »
    The forgotten man - Darren Fletcher, any news on him? Any hope that he'll ever get back to what he was?

Named in the League squad but not the CL squad and as far as im aware isnt training at all trying to recover from his illness

I hope he makes a recovery but i dont hold much optimism he will play regularly for us again:(

NTMK wrote: »
    Named in the League squad but not the CL squad and as far as im aware isnt training at all trying to recover from his illness

I hope he makes a recovery but i dont hold much optimism he will play regularly for us again:(

being name in the PL squad is meaningless.

You can't leave spaces in the squad if there is a senior contracted player at the club. The fact Fletcher is contracted to United meant he was always going to be named in the squad. It would only be a story is a senior player (over 21) was left out of the squad to accomodate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Irish Daily Star scoop

Homer Simpson hates Phil Jones for having ugly facial expressions.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

being name in the PL squad is meaningless.

You can't leave spaces in the squad if there is a senior contracted player at the club. The fact Fletcher is contracted to United meant he was always going to be named in the squad. It would only be a story is a senior player (over 21) was left out of the squad to accomodate him.

im not claiming its of any significance just that he was named in the squad and that he wasnt in the CL squad as thats all ive heard lately apart from him not training :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Yes I do think we had a chance.

Its gone now, but right money and things would have been interesting.

I don't know Kew......I just think it was a it of a pipe dream. I think our chances of signing Ronaldo in that window were higher.

For me anyway, all the sings pointed to Cesc staying at Barca - regardless of transfer fee. There is no indication that if a fee was accepted, based on the fact it was a 'silly offer' or 50m etc, that Cesc would have then joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It wasn't great how we conducted it in the public eye, but it seems to be a lose lose, a lot of people moan at united for conducting business in the background and not stamping their authority on the transfer market and stating their intentions like that of Real Madrid.

When we do this and lose out on players like Herrera, Fabregas, Thiago, the club is called a farce, however if we were all hush and signed Fellani on the last day and news that we failed on so many targets was never public knowledge we would be branded a club not doing enough in the transfer window, now I know it's how we conducted the transfers and buyout clauses not being made etc etc but until united actually make a statement most of the information being thrown around is just hearsay.

To be honest, at the start of the season if you were to offer me a few scenarios.

Rooney & Nani stay and we sign Fellani.
    Rooney and Nani go and we sign Fellani.
    Rooney and Nani go and we sign Fellani and Herrera.

I know which one I'd be all over, retaining both Nani and Rooney is huge and it should make the difference in us challenging for the league, yes another midfielder would have been a MASSIVE summer but aside from the negotiation failings we should be happy that at least Moyes has addressed or is at least trying to address our failings in the 1st 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

kryogen wrote: »
    Could ye use him though? I mean would ye play him in the position he would be most adept at or would he get shoe horned (Fergie style ;)) into the team somewhere?

We've been playing 4-3-1-2 this season so far, it'd be great to put him in the AM role and move McCornmack further up the pitch.

master-t wrote: »
    I don't know Kew......I just think it was a it of a pipe dream. I think our chances of signing Ronaldo in that window were higher. For me anyway, all the sings pointed to Cesc staying at Barca - regardless of transfer fee. There is no indication that if a fee was accepted, based on the fact it was a 'silly offer' or 50m etc, that Cesc would have then joined.

Honestly, don't think we ever had a realistic chance of us getting Fabregas.

Xavi will be 34 in January, he's been one of the greatest players of his generation but he can't go on forever, Iniesta is 29, 30 in May, Fabregas will be the 1st choice player next season along side Iniesta, I have no doubt in that, with Thiago gone they could never realistically sell him and they wouldn't have before Thiago left either as lets be honest people in Barca must have known Thiago was on his way out long before it happened.

Cesc probably leaked it to show Barcelona just what a valuable player he is to the team and give them a kick up the backside, Looking at him celebrating with Messi when he set him up for 1 of his hat trick goals the other night he looks like a player enjoying his time.

So yea, he's being played out of position and is 2nd fiddle for his preferred spot, but he did play more games than most of the Barcelona team last year and he probably realizes in another year he's going to be top dog at his home club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

RikkFlair wrote: »

I not sure where I read it, but he had another operation in the summer and they're not expecting to see him back before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I not sure where I read it, but he had another operation in the summer and they're not expecting to see him back before Christmas.

Fletcher won't be back at all, never mind Christmas, there is no doubt in my mind at all about this.

It wasn't great how we conducted it in the public eye, but it seems to be a lose lose, a lot of people moan at united for conducting business in the background and not stamping their authority on the transfer market and stating their intentions like that of Real Madrid.

When we do this and lose out on players like Herrera, Fabregas, Thiago, the club is called a farce, however if we were all hush and signed Fellani on the last day and news that we failed on so many targets was never public knowledge we would be branded a club not doing enough in the transfer window, now I know it's how we conducted the transfers and buyout clauses not being made etc etc but until united actually make a statement most of the information being thrown around is just hearsay.

To be honest, at the start of the season if you were to offer me a few scenarios.

Rooney & Nani stay and we sign Fellani.
    Rooney and Nani go and we sign Fellani.
    Rooney and Nani go and we sign Fellani and Herrera.

I know which one I'd be all over, retaining both Nani and Rooney is huge and it should make the difference in us challenging for the league, yes another midfielder would have been a MASSIVE summer but aside from the negotiation failings we should be happy that at least Moyes has addressed or is at least trying to address our failings in the 1st 11.
    The public interest in Fabregas and Thiago was not my problem with the situation. My problem was the hamfisted weak approaches we made.

From what I have been told - we were in for Thiago but let him sit on the contract offer for weeks without ever talking to Barcelona ourselves. We should have pushed Thiago sooner and should have made a bid to Barcelona to force the issue.

On Fabregas, what I have been told is that Fabregas would have moved to United if Barcelona had indicated they didn't need him - which he would have taken from Barcelona accepting an offer for him. He is, however, happy enough at Barcelona that not getting a move to United was not the end of the world - he was happy to stay if Barcelona wanted him too. Barcelona, for their part, were not pushing to sell him, but would have for the right price as they had areas of the team they wanted to buy in and needed money in to do so. 40million was the figure that, seemingly, Barcelona leaked would be the figure they would do business at. United were aware of this, and didn't push to it. For me, as I believe this to be true, I don't think United properly went for Fabregas because we never pushed the figure that had a chance of getting it done.

The public interest in Fabregas and Thiago was not my problem with the situation. My problem was the hamfisted weak approaches we made.

From what I have been told - we were in for Thiago but let him sit on the contract offer for weeks without ever talking to Barcelona ourselves. We should have pushed Thiago sooner and should have made a bid to Barcelona to force the issue.

On Fabregas, what I have been told is that Fabregas would have moved to United if Barcelona had indicated they didn't need him - which he would have taken from Barcelona accepting an offer for him. He is, however, happy enough at Barcelona that not getting a move to United was not the end of the world - he was happy to stay if Barcelona wanted him too. Barcelona, for their part, were not pushing to sell him, but would have for the right price as they had areas of the team they wanted to buy in and needed money in to do so. 40million was the figure that, seemingly, Barcelona leaked would be the figure they would do business at. United were aware of this, and didn't push to it. For me, as I believe this to be true, I don't think United properly went for Fabregas because we never pushed the figure that had a chance of getting it done.

Agree, if everything you said was fact then its sad how it transpired, however we simply have no indication any of the above is true. But I'd say this happens a hell of a lot you just don't see it as clubs like to keep things close to their chest the fact we did all this in the public eye means we do look foolish, but if it had come off they would look like heroes which I believe was the aim all along, show the fans that they agree with the weaknesses in the team, get a big marquee signing and get the fans on side.

Sadly it didn't work out and if they kept quiet, and all this happened behind closed doors and we signed Fellani and kept Rooney and Nani, the majority of united fans would have been very happy, they just shot themselves in the foot by trying to be too clever and sadly it backfired.

That said, still happy we kept Rooney and Nani and strengthened the team significantly.

Honestly, don't think we ever had a realistic chance of us getting Fabregas.

would you have said the same about Ozil had we been bidding for him, instead of Fabregas in June or July?

we never properly tested Barcelona IMO. if we went in first with £35million and it was rejected, then fair enough...but we didnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bullvine wrote: »
    im still confident we will see Ronaldo back, but not as much as i was. considering Fergie is gone and given what has unfolded recently, would you blame him for not wanting to join? IMO it looked nailed on he would join in 2014, a few months back, but i think this is reducing rapidly now and i fear he will change his mind.

Woodie would probably think we would get him for £15million anyway. Fergies future influence in the club will be the key factor in him joining IMO.

I think Ronaldo does want to return. If we are to believe Ozil wanted to join United, that Coentrao had to be comforted as he was so upset after he thought he was a United player only to find the deal collapsed. It seems clear that Ronaldo has been doing good PR about United to his team mates.
    Maybe Nani wanted to stay and for a longterm deal because he knows Ronaldo wants to get back to United.

“The sale of Ozil is bad news for me,” Ronaldo told AS.
    “He was the player who best knew my moves in front of goal. I’m angry about Ozil leaving.”

Makes one wonder if Ozil held out for a move to United due to Ronaldo's future endeavours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement