Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

master-t wrote: »
    I don't know Kew......I just think it was a it of a pipe dream. I think our chances of signing Ronaldo in that window were higher.

For me anyway, all the sings pointed to Cesc staying at Barca - regardless of transfer fee. There is no indication that if a fee was accepted, based on the fact it was a 'silly offer' or 50m etc, that Cesc would have then joined.

I can see where you are coming fro, but what after Ozil going to Arsenal I think it proved that while some transfers seem impossible some have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think Ronaldo does want to return. If we are to believe Ozil wanted to join United, that Coentrao had to be comforted as he was so upset after he thought he was a United player only to find the deal collapsed. It seems clear that Ronaldo has been doing good PR about United to his team mates.
    Maybe Nani wanted to stay and for a longterm deal because he knows Ronaldo wants to get back to United.

“The sale of Ozil is bad news for me,” Ronaldo told AS.
    “He was the player who best knew my moves in front of goal. I’m angry about Ozil leaving.”

Makes one wonder if Ozil held out for a move to United due to Ronaldo's future endeavours.

The deal for Ozil was sorted on the Friday. There was no holding out for a move to United

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think Ronaldo does want to return. If we are to believe Ozil wanted to join United, that Coentrao had to be comforted as he was so upset after he thought he was a United player only to find the deal collapsed. It seems clear that Ronaldo has been doing good PR about United to his team mates.
    Maybe Nani wanted to stay and for a longterm deal because he knows Ronaldo wants to get back to United.

“The sale of Ozil is bad news for me,” Ronaldo told AS.
    “He was the player who best knew my moves in front of goal. I’m angry about Ozil leaving.”

Makes one wonder if Ozil held out for a move to United due to Ronaldo's future endeavours.

Ronaldo to Arsenal next summer then, eh?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can see where you are coming fro, but what after Ozil going to Arsenal I think it proved that while some transfers seem impossible some have a chance.

my opinion is always that once a bid for a player is accepted, a move is rather likely, as long as the team has something attractive to them. A club accepting a bid for their player is an indication they don't want him, and players will react to that. That is why I never believe what a player says about staying at a club until a bid has been accepted for them. Sure Ozil said he would not be leaving Real about 2 weeks ago, and now he is an Arsenal player. Bluff and bluster in public, to keep fans onside at the least. Fabregas can say whatever he likes to big himself up for Barcelona fans (who aren't 100% sold on him) as United never gave him the option of leaving Barcelona and Barcelona's public stance is that he was never for sale. At this point, Fabregas is never going to say he wanted out or would have signed for United, it would be PR suicide.

greendom wrote: »
    The deal for Ozil was sorted on the Friday. There was no holding out for a move to United

so they say. others say very differently. they also say United and City turned down the option to sign him mid-August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If Fletch came back it would be like a new signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

If Fletch came back it would be like a new signing

How? he will never be the same player again hes been out of the top level for to long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

for those that aint seen this so far, this is class - enjoy.

https://btsportchallenge.com/namethatteam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Not a Utd fan, was just lurking, but I thought that was a fairly obvious bit of damage control there. If Fellaini was their #1 target, why not pay the release clause a month ago?

The idea of them being "mystified" by fans discontent strikes me as absurd. Even if they dsagreed with it, being "mystified" seems very unlikely. They know how transfer windows work, with hysteria over every supposed flaw in the squad not being addressed, and every player someone else signs being met with "why weren't we in for him?".
    i dont think people can get any more angry now until if/when bad results happen. hopefully it wont come to that stage but i have a worry that some tough times are ahead and it could all have been avoided. if Fellaini was a top target, he should have been signed in July and thats it - allowing time then to focus on other players. we can expect a new LB, CB and CM as our next 3 signings then also over the coming 12 months.

it is very worrying to see however repeated claims that the club dont really see much wrong with the past 3 months.

A possible explanation to United not activating the release cause might have been the manner in which they acquired Moyes from Everton.

They felt the need to apologise and they might have breached some rules. It may have been the case that they didn't want to damage the relationship with Everton even more by trying to get Fellaini by activating the release cause. I think it was more to do with them waiting to see how their move for Fabregas would develop, i.e. Fabregas was the real number one target, or maybe he was the boards number one while Fellaini was Moyes's number one.

Other than Everton playing hardball, it seems odd that it went to 10.59 on the last day.

Many didn't want Baines due to Evra; it makes sense to reject Ozil when Rooney and Kagawa are there.

"it's very worrying to see however repeated claims that the club dont really see much wrong with the past 3 months"; it's seems that it's the United business model and with Moyes having a prudent (or dithering to some) attitude to transfers, the first transfer window was never likely to be any different. There are very plausable reasons given in the article and if true I don't think it's worrying at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

A possible explanation to United not activating the release cause might have been the manner in which they acquired Moyes from Everton.

They felt the need to apologise and they might have breached some rules. It may have been the case that they didn't want to damage the relationship with Everton even more by trying to get Fellaini by activating the release cause.

Couldn't believe for a second that they would ever have done that.

• Advertisement

"it's very worrying to see however repeated claims that the club dont really see much wrong with the past 3 months"; it's seems that it's the United business model and with Moyes having a prudent (or dithering to some) attitude to transfers, the first transfer window was never likely to be any different. There are very plausable reasons given in the article and if true I don't think it's worrying at all.
    How does that explain the dash for Di Rossi, Herrera, Khedira, Baines, Coentrao and possibly Modric in the last 3 days of the window? How does that scattergun approach tie with doing things prudently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Thats very good, I'm upto 24 but still missing 3 PL teams. I dont think I will get anymore European or Rugby teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

so they say. others say very differently. they also say United and City turned down the option to sign him mid-August.

Yes perhaps and that's maybe why he wasn't waiting for any interest from United during the last hours of the window.

Anyway United didn't want him, Arsenal did - everyone's a winner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

my opinion is always that once a bid for a player is accepted, a move is rather likely, as long as the team has something attractive to them. A club accepting a bid for their player is an indication they don't want him, and players will react to that. That is why I never believe what a player says about staying at a club until a bid has been accepted for them. Sure Ozil said he would not be leaving Real about 2 weeks ago, and now he is an Arsenal player. Bluff and bluster in public, to keep fans onside at the least. Fabregas can say whatever he likes to big himself up for Barcelona fans (who aren't 100% sold on him) as United never gave him the option of leaving Barcelona and Barcelona's public stance is that he was never for sale. At this point, Fabregas is never going to say he wanted out or would have signed for United, it would be PR suicide.

But Cesc's comments are pretty clear. At no time did he even think about joining United. He didn't want to go to United. He didn't want to leave Barca. Barca said it was up to him (As with most players) whether he wanted to leave, and he said he didnt. He didn't even really flirt with the idea. He wanted to be a starter, he was told he would be....and he has been.

Complete contrast to Ozil if you ask me.

master-t wrote: »
    But Cesc's comments are pretty clear. At no time did he even think about joining United. He didn't want to go to United. He didn't want to leave Barca. Barca said it was up to him (As with most players) whether he wanted to leave, and he said he didnt. He didn't even really flirt with the idea. He wanted to be a starter, he was told he would be....and he has been.

Complete contrast to Ozil if you ask me.

Fine - you completely believe he is telling the truth. fair enough. I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

38 and I'm stuck. I can only see about 4 more pics that I haven't got.
    Palace
    West Brom
    Villa

and 3 of the other football teams. Have all the rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

after the last few weeks if any of the lads come back injured i am back on the drugs!!!!

Nolars wrote: »
    How? he will never be the same player again hes been out of the top level for to long.

you need to turn on your sarcasm detector!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

s.welstead wrote: »
    Palace
    West Brom
    Villa

Myself and a mate just finished it, was plain sailing apart from 1 rugby team and the Cabbage.
    I had no clue hibs had that nickname???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

s.welstead wrote: »
    Palace
    West Brom
    Villa

Im upto 40, got all the rugby, still cant find Spurs. The 3 PL teams your missing are straight forward enough. All nickname related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Jeez that's difficult - had to google the very last one (the cabbage in the bottom left!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jeez that's difficult - had to google the very last one (the cabbage in the bottom left!)

disgusted!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

would you have said the same about Ozil had we been bidding for him, instead of Fabregas in June or July?

we never properly tested Barcelona IMO. if we went in first with £35million and it was rejected, then fair enough...but we didnt.

Look at what Barcelona have in midfield, Ozil is an attacking midfielder and Real are absolutely stacked to the brim with them. Bale to Madrid had been doing the round at the end of the season, so yes I do think we had a chance with Ozil as Madrid were on the hunt for a player for his position along with having multiple backups had he left.

I see what you're saying we should have made them think more about it, I still firmly believe they knew before summer started that thiago was on his way out so why sell when you have no backup.

How does that explain the dash for Di Rossi, Herrera, Khedira, Baines, Coentrao and possibly Modric in the last 3 days of the window? How does that scattergun approach tie with doing things prudently.

They didn't go above their own valuation of Herrera! :pac: Some speculation could have been beneficial in their negotiations with Everton over Fellaini, whether it was genuine or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

last one, between hearts and la. it's the green hoops. Was thinking olympic something..

omg, as soon as I typed hoops eugh

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

So Shinji started and played 75 minutes today v Guatemala. One assist to his name. Just sayin'!

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    So Shinji started and played 75 minutes today v Guatemala. One assist to his name. Just sayin'!

Only one assist! Must improve; he'll be facing much tougher opposition weekly in the PL than Guatemala! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Need 2 more the bottle of wine and the white house any1 get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Bottle of wine......try Bordeaux ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

markc91 wrote: »
    Need 2 more the bottle of wine and the white house any1 get them?

It's not the White House, it's St.Peters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Stuck on the Burger and Sausage

ericzeking wrote: »
    Stuck on the Burger and Sausage

Think Germany.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Think Germany.......

Ya..those 2 were simple, mine didn't have Bundesliga when I opened it originally.
    Done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ah was at it ages before I realised you could zoom in!!

Anyone know what the old lady is waving the flag? Last one and it's doing my head in.

"The old lady" is the nickname of famous italian team....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Bottle of wine......try Bordeaux ?!

Lads spoiler these. NO harm done really but was on 43/44 and desperately trying to get the above when I clicked on here to post and seen this. Anyway, that is an excellent game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

"The old lady" is the nickname of famous italian team....

Feck sake!! As soon as I read your reply it came to me even though I was saying old lady over and over in my head.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Lads spoiler these. NO harm done really but was on 43/44 and desperately trying to get the above when I clicked on here to post and seen this. Anyway, that is an excellent game!

Sorry.......when i posted that it was actually a guess, didnt know it was correct.

im missing a load of them, but for some reason some of the graphics wont load to allow me enter...

anybody telling what the man with the blue scarf is , the 3 lads behind the goals and the money is about?

im missing a load of them, but for some reason some of the graphics wont load to allow me enter...

anybody telling what the man with the blue scarf is , the 3 lads behind the goals and the money is about?

The man in the blue scarf isn't one, just what he's holding. It's actually Jake Humphrey he's the face of BT Sports. Do you mean the 3 guys in green and black? If so that ones a rugby team. The money is a bit misleading it's actually about the bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Elro wrote: »
    The man in the blue scarf isn't one, just what he's holding. It's actually Jake Humphrey he's the face of BT Sports. Do you mean the 3 guys in green and black? If so that ones a rugby team. The money is a bit misleading it's actually about the bags.

Is it bad that I thought the money had to be Chelsea, City or Monaco?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

money bags......think of the second word.....

Baggies

Is it bad that I thought the money had to be Chelsea, City or Monaco?
    :D

well i thought it was about robbers and crime so i was sure it was liverpool.

I got 43/44 on my own, but to be honest a few were just entering a team name into every available option. Can someone tell me what the Spurs and Chelsea ones were supposed to mean? Spoiler obv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

what's the old woman? are her walking stick and flag seperate ones? Can't get them either
    never mind, got it.
    Missing two from the world football section now, but can't even find where the clues for them are.

what's the old woman? are her walking stick and flag seperate ones? Can't get them either

Dont cheat that one, it'll come to you and it's an excellent one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I got 43/44 on my own, but to be honest a few were just entering a team name into every available option. Can someone tell me what the Spurs and Chelsea ones were supposed to mean? Spoiler obv

spurs -
    the boots had spurs on the bottom of them - they were cowboy boots

chelsea -
    their nickname is the pensioners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

spurs - spurs on cowboy boots; chelsea - pensioners

still cant get the club with the saugage/burger.

somebody spoil me please!

still cant get the club with the saugage/burger.

somebody spoil me please!

Sausage =
    Eintract Frankfurt

Burger =
    Hamburg SV

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement