Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

master-t wrote: »
    They publicly slammed United and Moyes for making low bids for their players, disrespect, the club never acted like that in the past.......yet they went and did the exact same thing to Wigan. Absolute bellend.

hmmmm, is james Mccarthy really worth £12-13million?

honestly, i dont think so. lets not forget, Moyes also suggested other clubs were doing the same to us (aka, Chelsea), so considering he did it to his own former club for 2 months, Barcelona, Roma, Bilbao and f*ck knows who ever else, do you think he is a bellend also?

;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

tbf you're right

Signing Fellaini wil cut alot of that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Right lads, get your official Fellaini wig orders in - en.belgoshop.com/Perruque-Fellaini-p-8-c-2.html‎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Actually cannot wait to see Fellaini and Carrick together vs Palace. In the coming weeks, once fitness problems get completely resolved, if we can get RVP, Nani, Kagawa and Rooney working together up front, we will be frightening.

agree totally.

My concern like I expressed this morning would be a injury to a Rooney or Carrick. Then things go back to normal.

If we stay reasonably injury free for the main players we will have good season once right players are played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

honestly, i dont think so. lets not forget, Moyes also suggested other clubs were doing the same to us (aka, Chelsea), so considering he did it to his own former club for 2 months, Barcelona, Roma, Bilbao and f*ck knows who ever else, do you think he is a bellend also?

;)

Moyes said Rooney is not for sale, not that bid was low.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Moyes said Rooney is not for sale, not that bid was low.

he was asked about value and all this about 2 weeks back and mentioned how other clubs were doing low bids also.

i saw the interview on tv, not sure if its in print format so your just going to have to trust me on this!

;)

What? No i think you've mis-understood my point. Everton made an initial offer for McCarthy that was rejected and Dave Whelan came out and called the bid disrespectful and 'absolute madness'. Then they upped it to 13m and the final minute.

Martinez came out and said Moyes was disrespecting his old club Everton by making a low offer for Fellaini and Baines......yet he went and did the exact same thing for McCarthy, but ended up paying more in the end aswel.

Pot Kettle Black from Martinez.

So no, I don't think Moyes is a bellend. I also don't think Martinez is a bellend for making the low offers, I think he is a bellend for going out publicly slating Man Utd and Moyes for their approach to Fellaini, yet he went and did the exact same thing. That makes him a bellend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Damn international break - now we don't even have football tyo take our minds of this debacle of a window!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

agree totally.

My concern like I expressed this morning would be a injury to a Rooney or Carrick. Then things go back to normal.

If we stay reasonably injury free for the main players we will have good season once right players are played.

Oh definitely. We have our eggs in the one proverbial basket, but it's a diamond-encrusted 18K Gold basket.

Fingers crossed we can keep everyone fit.

I know few of you hate international football which is fair enough.

I will be nervous wreck though from Friday till next Tuesday with Ireland playing Sweden/Austria and All Ireland Final in between on Sunday.

For health purposes seeing United playing will be much easier.:)

• Advertisement

he was asked about value and all this about 2 weeks back and mentioned how other clubs were doing low bids also.

i saw the interview on tv, not sure if its in print format so your just going to have to trust me on this!

I might have missed it but I don't remember reading anything on the bids being low.

Ok. I will take your word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Wondering if the Herrera deal was called off on the back of a combination of the price and Fellaini confirmation as it seems obvious with the way Everton were bidding that the Fellaini deal was done early yesterday, maybe United cooled on Herrera then when Athletic wouldn't deal as that all seemed to happen around the same time yesterday.

Something I didn't see mentioned was Januzaj didn't go on loan to a Prem club or abroad, since I think it unlikely he'll be sent down a division to get kicked about, this might be a good sign for the chances he will be getting.

Jones is a class CB and will prove to be so once Rio steps down at the end of the season (If he does).

he has a lot of learning to do at CB, he is great for lunging infront of players, winning tackles, but his man marking needs to improve, he gets caught alot where he doesnt judge where the ball is going and then has to make a last ditch tackle rather than being close to his man. his ball playing ability is not at the level it should be by now.

maybe now with a new coaching team, we will work with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

I think Dave Whelan called the first bid for McCarthy derisory because Everton offered to pay it in installments of 3m each year for 4 years. They then upped their bid to 13m and changed the method of payment to more up front which was accepted.

On the Fellaini deal, it seems strange to buy him after his clause expired but possibly, Utd have agreed a deal with 15-18m up front and the rest in installments. Thats the only reason I can see to wait until now to sign him.

Contreau was just to late in the day to get things done, while we will have to wait and see what went on with the Herrera deal.

Fellaini joining is good for the squad but the lack of a creative midfielder may be costly as clerverly is clearly not up to the task.

Overall, the negative press this morning and over the past few weeks is very damaging not only for Moyes and Woodword but for the club as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ericzeking wrote: »
    Wondering if the Herrera deal was called off on the back of a combination of the price and Fellaini confirmation as it seems obvious with the way Everton were bidding that the Fellaini deal was done early yesterday, maybe United cooled on Herrera then when Athletic wouldn't deal as that all seemed to happen around the same time yesterday.

Something I didn't see mentioned was Januzaj didn't go on loan to a Prem club or abroad, since I think it unlikely he'll be sent down a division to get kicked about, this might be a good sign for the chances he will be getting.

IMO always far more likely Januzaj would be loaned to a lower division club where he will likely get starts rather than bench warm in the premier league. Same as Powell, now on loan at Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I see a lot of posts regarding team-lineups and playing Kagawa off the wing. Why? He was a beast for Dortmund playing in the hole as a CAM, not coming in off the wing. He's a great footballer but cannot play off the wing and be expected to reach the height of his Dortmund career. Why not play someone like Zaha/Nani/Young (Who was shíte against Liverpool) who are dedicated wingers? It seems like a lot of posters are trying to just cram Shinji into the team for the sake of him playing.

IMO always far more likely Januzaj would be loaned to a lower division club where he will likely get starts rather than bench warm in the premier league. Same as Powell, now on loan at Wigan.

I hope this kid gets a chance in first team.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I see a lot of posts regarding team-lineups and playing Kagawa off the wing. Why? He was a beast for Dortmund playing in the hole as a CAM, not coming in off the wing. He's a great footballer but cannot play off the wing and be expected to reach the height of his Dortmund career. Why not play someone like Zaha/Nani/Young (Who was shíte against Liverpool) who are dedicated wingers? It seems like a lot of posters are trying to just cram Shinji into the team for the sake of him playing.

So we'll drop Rooney for him, yep, likely.

He either plays from the wing (rather than on it) or he doesn't play much, imo.

I hope this kid gets a chance in first team.

If Kagawa can't, he can't. Similar player/position. I hope he gets some time, but don't see it much this season.

• Advertisement

Ashley Young.....what are peoples honest opinions on him, is he good enough for United?

personally, i think it was a huge waste of money on a player we didnt need and one who is not united quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MagicIRL wrote: »

Quite simply because Rooney will be playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Any news on Cointreou guys? Sorry on the phone in work. cant check.

Ashley Young.....what are peoples honest opinions on him, is he good enough for United?

personally, i think it was a huge waste of money on a player we didnt need and one who is not united quality.

Good enough squad player. Not good enough to cement first choice 11 on merit of his ability (in respect to what we expect of United players) but I have absolutely no issue with him being a member of the squad, and think he has the quality to contribute positively within that role.

I can't warm to him.

He was awful on Sunday but so was 8 others IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

First time contributor to this thread, go easy on me :)

As a whole, I am happy to get this transfer window over and done with, can now finally concentrate on playing football and move on from what has been a frustrating few months.

I am happy with the Fellaini deal, a player was bought in who was needed and will give a lot of extra bite to the midfield that has been lacking.
    How we went about getting the player in did leave a lot to be desired, and questions need to be answered about that.

Rooney has been kept at the club, at least till next summer that is, so hopefully he will get his head down and contribute towards a successful season.

I would of loved to have gotten in Fabregas or Herrera, just as much as everyone else here, but sometimes it's just not meant to be, it is as simple as that.

Some people on here though, have simply been embarrassing themselves with their carry on, everyone needs to be support both team and manager, and come next May there will be a nice cabinet full of silverware.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Degag wrote: »

Seems Madrid pulled the plug because they couldn't get a replacement in.

he has a lot of learning to do at CB, he is great for lunging infront of players, winning tackles, but his man marking needs to improve, he gets caught alot where he doesnt judge where the ball is going and then has to make a last ditch tackle rather than being close to his man. his ball playing ability is not at the level it should be by now.

maybe now with a new coaching team, we will work with him.

Well yeah, a point I made back when Moyes was appointed (speaking with yourself about Jones on this actually I think it was) is that the work Moyes has done with CBs in the past is phenomenal.

- Lescott
    - Jagielka
    - Distin
    - Heitinga

So I can't wait for him to get his teeth into Jones and push him on to where we know he can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Not near good enough to be a Utd player. Waster and injury prone.
    Big waste of money from fergie on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Yes, but Jones is a CB and has had limited successive game in a row in his preferred position. He has been shifted to RB, DM or CM.

Jones is a class CB and will prove to be so once Rio steps down at the end of the season (If he does).

Think he may get his chance at CB this season ,Cannot see us getting a full /uninterrupted season out of Rio to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Degag wrote: »

SSN reporting its waiting on confirmation from Madrid.

• Advertisement

So what shirt # will Fellaini be getting?

Only 7 and 9 are vacant in the first 20. With Henriquez going on loan 21 is available.

Also,

Oliver Kay @OliverKayTimes
    #MUFC might want to leave it a week or two, until deadline-day dust has settled, before announcing record-breaking £350m revenue for 2012/13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Delighted to get Fellaini in but I do hope we didn't pay more than the release clause for him, that would be an absolute farse. But there seems to be some doubt as to what the release clause was so no point in slating the club for that yet. As it happens, I think 27.5m is about right for Fellaini in today's market. He's a seriously good player and only nearly 26.

I think people are being harsh on Jones at right back. I've seen him play very well there for us but he's in poor form there at the minute, I've seen him play like that before and improve. Hrs a young player who's had a couple of bad games there (from an attacking POV) this season, no need to go jumping to conclusions that he can't play the position. Anyway Rafael should be back soon.

SSN reporting its waiting on confirmation from Madrid.

Reported they did manage to get their replacement LB option (conflicting reports) but I'd guess even if they managed that they didn't get their docs in on time for Coentrao to us.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    everyone needs to be support both team and manager, and come next May there will be a nice cabinet full of silverware.

can you point out who is not behind the team and manager?

i seen alot of people angry yesterday and some pointed at Moyes, but i am 100% sure that every single poster here will be fully behind the team and manager when they are actually at games, which is all that matters. in every game i have been at this season, the reception Moyes has got, was top class. however, it appears that the support he got from the board isnt, and this is what people are angry over.

David Moyes doesnt read boards by the way, and i assume the players dont either. relax a little.

and while i admire your optimism about a cabinet full of silverware, do you honestly expect that? im not optimistic of silverware at all this year, but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I tell you one things lads.

Rafael has been major loss for us the past 3 games. Especially against Liverpool.

Him missing is starting to show his worth to the team at RB

Makes me smile when people still say he can be dodgy and needs to improve. The start of this season showed how important he was last season. We have had no creativity down the right so far this season. The first few games for me highlighted how poor Valencia has been last season. People talking about Young need to take a closer look at Valencia he offers little to nothing going forward and he should be nowhere near the starting team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ill be fully behind Fell even thou I dont rate him but will give time to settle in

I truly hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it. I also think he'll miss a creative cm beside him and we may not see the best of him until we get another CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Think he may get his chance at CB this season ,Cannot see us getting a full /uninterrupted season out of Rio to be honest.

Johnny Evans seems to be the forgotten man around here, I assume he is injured at the minute? It would be a shame if his excellent last two seasons are forgotten for Jones' clumsy blood and thunder routine.

Julez wrote: »
    Then Valencia after him, IMO. But Agreed on Jones, and Smalling for that matter.

Really pissed at how things worked out with Fabio he needs games to develop. The fact Jones started the season ahead of him it's safe to say he is not going to get much games this season. He should be ahead of Jones much better rb. I have such high hopes for him he would have benefited much more from a loan than Buttner.

Headshot wrote: »
    Ill be fully behind Fell even thou I dont rate him but will give time to settle in

I truly hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it. I also think he'll miss a creative cm beside him and we may not see the best of him until we get another CM

Carrick is far more creative then he gets credit for. We signed him because of performances high up the pitch. Fergie moulded him into the player he is now and it worked well. But if needed Carrick can offer creativity.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Carrick is far more creative then he gets credit for. We signed him because of performances high up the pitch. Fergie moulded him into the player he is now and it worked well. But if needed Carrick can offer creativity.

It would have been nice for him and Felliani to have had a pre-season together to develop a little understanding on the field. Just unfortunate that Woodward was forced to wait until the transfer deadline so he could pay extra money for Felliani due to, you know, reasons...

• Advertisement

I maybe wrong but Ferdinand has started the first 4 games of the season if i am correct. Has it been years since that happened i thought he was on a program where he didn't play a few games in a row.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I maybe wrong but Ferdinand has started the first 4 games of the season if i am correct. Has it been years since that happened i thought he was on a program where he didn't play a few games in a row.

only one game per week certainly has helped...once the league cup and CL starts up and we have the odd midweek league game, this will change.

can you point out who is not behind the team and manager?

i seen alot of people angry yesterday and some pointed at Moyes, but i am 100% sure that every single poster here will be fully behind the team and manager when they are actually at games, which is all that matters. in every game i have been at this season, the reception Moyes has got, was top class. however, it appears that the support he got from the board isnt, and this is what people are angry over.

David Moyes doesnt read boards by the way, and i assume the players dont either. relax a little.

and while i admire your optimism about a cabinet full of silverware, do you honestly expect that? im not optimistic of silverware at all this year, but thats just my opinion.

Although I know you will be behind the team at the games how long can stuff like this go on before United fans turn on Moyes? You are accustomed to success and transfer windows that aren't a farce like this one was. Ferguson in fairness to him had a commanding presence when going for players, Van Persei being the most recent example. When the RVP stuff came out originally I for one didn't believe he would go to United with the rivalry there, could you see Moyes doing something like that for a big player going forward? Learning experience and all that but surely there is a line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Someone should be sacked over the Fellaini dealings, what other business would tolerate paying £4.5 million more for something than they needed to. Highlights how incompetent those responsible for transfer dealing at OT are. You can argue that he wasn't the number 1 target but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Fellaini will add a new dimension to uniteds team. Rooney and the attacking players won't be expected to drop so far back to cover a weak defensive midfield, he will bring extra ariel power to corners and free kicks both defending and attacking, and he will allow carrick to play a less restricted game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Johnny Evans seems to be the forgotten man around here, I assume he is injured at the minute? It would be a shame if his excellent last two seasons are forgotten for Jones' clumsy blood and thunder routine.

god i'm not forgetting Evans like you think he was excellent for the last 2 seasons , My thinking Rio ,Vidic and Evans would be the core 3 that we choose from with Jones filling it when needed this season, Honestly think Evans/ Jones (par any transfers :rolleyes:)could be your starting pair next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Someone should be sacked over the Fellaini dealings, what other business would tolerate paying £4.5 million more for something than they needed to. Highlights how incompetent those responsible for transfer dealing at OT are. You can argue that he wasn't the number 1 target but that's another story.

Should someone have been sacked for paying 7 or 8m on a player we didn't watch play? Homeless world cup star player or whatever it was was good enough sure.

Gill perhaps?
    Phelan wasn't liked by all those knowledgeable football geniuses armed with keyboards and barstools... maybe him?
    Hey why not Fergie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Fellaini is a very good player but Moyes is a disaster appointment in my book. While I'm sure this transfer window wasn't completely his fault, it wouldn't have happened on Fergie's watch or on the watch of someone more suited to the job.

I was gobsmacked when United appointed him. I remain so.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Fellaini is a very good player but Moyes is a disaster appointment in my book. While I'm sure this transfer window wasn't completely his fault, it wouldn't have happened on Fergie's watch or on the watch of someone more suited to the job.

I was gobsmacked when United appointed him. I remain so.

I'll judge Moyes on the pitch, thats where he lives or dies.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Should someone have been sacked for paying 7 or 8m on a player we didn't watch play? Homeless world cup star player or whatever it was was good enough sure.

Gill perhaps?
    Phelan wasn't liked by all those knowledgeable football geniuses armed with keyboards and barstools... maybe him?
    Hey why not Fergie?

so your happy with the entire mess yes and confident in Woodward?

or ill put it another way, simple yes or no question...do you think Woodward should be sacked by the club?

no bulls*it, no hyperbole or excuses, just a simple honest answer will do please.

one mistake does not justify another and you will see plenty of people saying the BEBE deal was an absolute farce and a joke. its not relevant to yesterday or this summer at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement