Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

A left-footed dink too. The Pavel Nedved of strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

how did our players do in general tonight apart from those involved in the 4 "local" games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RVP saved Holland blushes. Played full 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Welbeck has scored again. He's ridiculously clinical for England.

Probably because he plays up front for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Probably because he plays up front for them.

Played LW (Though essentially as a wide forward as opposed to a winger) today.
    Wish Carrick would just tell England where to go

I think Carrick only didn't play because it was Moldova at home.

I reckon, and certainly hope he'll play against Ukraine on Tuesday, because we'll need his defensive nous.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Day 3 and the girlfriend hasn't noticed

u76d.th.jpg

Shaming the rest of us with your dedication there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

jebus84 wrote: »

u76d.th.jpg

Little bit sad no?

*Gets on motorbike and makes beeline for horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

u76d.th.jpg
    strange all the love Kagawa gets tbh
    he hasn't done much for Man U even though he is a very talented player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Little bit sad no?

*Gets on motorbike and makes beeline for horizon.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    strange all the love Kagawa gets tbh
    he hasn't done much for Man U even though he is a very talented player

Remind me never to take either of you to a party. Buzzkills the pair of yiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Welbeck does my head in when I watch him playing for England. He rarely looks like he can score for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Fenix wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who thinks that Evil Kagawa account is a load of unfunny ****e?

some gems amongst the rocks though it has to be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Trilla wrote: »
    some gems amongst the rocks though it has to be said
    Yeah, I don't follow it though cause the best ones are normally posted here or retweeted anyway!

our number one fan miss Rachel Riley is currently trending on twitter due to wearing a low cut dress on some dancing show on tv.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Welbeck does my head in when I watch him playing for England. He rarely looks like he can score for United.
    One of our players playing well does your head in?

One of our players playing well does your head in?

Questioning an obvious statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

our number one fan miss Rachel Riley is currently trending on twitter due to wearing a low cut dress on some dancing show on tv.

Susana Reid too, apparently. Something to while away the dark winter hours before MOTD comes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

u76d.th.jpg

You should take it to the next level and start adding a picture of him every second day, it would be funny if you had a house full of Shinji's and she didn't notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hopefully Woodward can pull off this deal,it's reported to be worth £1 Billion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2414412/Manchester-United-sign-Nike-deal--Charles-Sale.html#ixzz2eEaPmp20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

zerks wrote: »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2414412/Manchester-United-sign-Nike-deal--Charles-Sale.html#ixzz2eEaPmp20

He's preparing a counter offer of 500million as we speak....

To be honest, I'm not arsed what figure it reaches - I have no faith or expectation that the money would be used for the benifit of the club itself.Just more money for the Glazers to take out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I was one of those who worried about the debt that was laden upon the club but the sponsorship deals we have pulled off are real moneyspinners.I had my Liverpool supporting mates laughing and awaiting our demise ala Leeds etc. but that hasn't happened,all we need now is for Woodward to learn how the transfer market works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

zerks wrote: »

But with Puma (Arsenal), adidas (Chelsea) and Warrior (Liverpool) all investing considerable funds elsewhere in the Premier League, Nike are still strong favourites to keep their swoosh on the United shirt.
    That should help us squeeze every penny out of Nike. They're not sponsoring any big Premier League team at the moment (Excluding Arsenal, but that's done at the end of the season).

I kinda agree with with Mitch though, we could get loads of money but still end up balking at players as soon as the price tag passes £30 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Ed could actually be quite good at the commercial side. If only he was left at that and somebody better took over the football side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Ed could actually be quite good at the commercial side. If only he was left at that and somebody better took over the football side

He is a ****ing god at getting money for the club, but Dealing with other clubs and transfers is not something he would be used to. He is ridiculously hard to deal with and gets a lot more money out of sponsors than most but this could be a massive problem with buying players as united literally could make sponsors jump through hoops in order to sponsor the team where as we have to deal with the whims of the clubs entertaining the sale of the player

Im happy for him to stay as CEO if they someone to deal with the football side of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How do people know that he's so difficult to deal with on transfers? Maybe he got a raw deal from Moyes telling him not to move for the likes of Thiago and Strootman this Summer when his training was probably building up to these deals with all the previous scouting done on them? Could have been sent on a wild goose chase with Fabregas. Moyes took a while looking at other targets and came up with Herrera too late for a reasonable deal to be done and he sorted the move for Coentrao very quickly before Madrid reneged.

People are using far too short a sample time to judge him imo. It was always going to be a difficult Summer and we wound up with a perfect fit for the needs in Fellaini and nearly a nice versatile addition in Coentrao. If Carrick gets injured there is someone to play there and there's someone to partner him he doesn't. Another body in midfield should have been signed but I'm happy to leave the big signings for next Summer at the moment and believe the current squad has more than enough to win the league and be competitive in Europe. It's a shame about the tough start as it came when people were probably overly distracted by off-field issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

J. Marston wrote: »
    That should help us squeeze every penny out of Nike. They're not sponsoring any big Premier League team at the moment (Excluding Arsenal, but that's done at the end of the season).

I kinda agree with with Mitch though, we could get loads of money but still end up balking at players as soon as the price tag passes £30 million.

Dig at City ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

miralize wrote: »

I didn't mean it to be really. They're going to challenge for and win trophies, no doubt, but they don't have the global appeal (shirts = £$€) of United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

miralize wrote: »

did Nike finish pillaging Umbro?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is that Ashley Young in the Lucozade sport ad where there's guys running on treadmills?

He must have a twin brother if not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im sorry......

Remember this.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Im sorry......

Remember this.....

Daz me new Bebo flashbox. Tnx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Dont think its in any doubt that Woodward is excellent at the commercial side of things.

hopefully this is true, other reports suggesting united were baffled at the outrage over the summer farce.
    Manchester United owners want answers after lack of world class summer signings
    7 Sep 2013 22:33
    Ed Woodward failed to bring a marquee signing to Old Trafford, and now faces a fight to repair his reputation

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-owners-want-answers-2258839#ixzz2eHom7yr7
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Manchester United's failure to land a marquee signing for manager David Moyes has not gone down well with the club's owners.

Sunday Mirror Sport understands that new vice-chairman Ed Woodward was expected to deliver at least one stellar name this summer - with Cristiano Ronaldo and Cesc Fabregas at the top of his hit-list.

Now the Florida-based Glazier family want an explanation as to why Woodward couldn't land any of the club's top targets - and also want answers about why the club’s pursuit of players descended into farce.

United’s only significant signing was £27.5million Marouane Fellaini.

But the fact the Belgian arrived from Everton just minutes before the deadline, for a fee that was £4m above a buy-out clause that expired at the end of July, has also not been well received by United’s prudent owners.

It has left Woodward facing a fight to repair his reputation, just a few months after he was ­promoted to become the club’s deal-maker following the departure of David Gill from Old Trafford.

He was tasked with bringing in at least one world-class player to help Moyes with the challenge of replacing Sir Alex ­Ferguson as manager.

And even boasted ­during United’s pre-season tour that there were limitless funds available.

Discussions about bringing Ronaldo back to Old Trafford took place at the highest level last season.

And the belief that the ­Portuguese star could be prised from Real Madrid was strengthened by his contract stand-off at the Bernabeu and the ­Spanish club’s world-record chase for Gareth Bale.

When those plans were shelved when it became clear Madrid would not sell, United turned their sights on Fabregas — only to have three bids for the ex-Arsenal midfielder rejected by Barcelona.

They will continue to monitor his situation at the Nou Camp with a view to a January approach.

Fellaini was on Moyes’ wish-list when he ­arrived, but there were names ahead of the Belgian.

Thiago Alcantara was a prime target, but doubts over whether the young Spaniard could cope with the physical demands of the Premier League ­enabled Bayern Munich to snatch him from Barca.

There was further ­embarrassment with a bid to sign £36m-rated Ander ­Herrera from ­Athletic Bilbao when United were hamstrung by Spain’s tax laws.

And with Everton ­refusing to budge on a £20m valuation of Leighton Baines, a deal to bring in Real Madrid left-back Fabio Coentrao on loan collapsed. United also failed with late bids for Real Madrid’s Sami Khedira and Wesley ­Sneijder of Galatasaray.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-owners-want-answers-2258839#ixzz2eHoaSkAP
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

hopefully this is true, other reports suggesting united were baffled at the outrage over the summer farce.

Does that not suggest these types of stories should be completely ignored? No quotes, no sources other than vague, un-provable ones. Different papers posting stories that are in complete contradiction to one another, achieving nothing but giving people who want to believe a specific stance something to point to as "proof".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is hard to know what to believe.

Obviously did not get everyone they wanted, we know that. So I expect questions will be raised there as a left back seemed to be in great demand along with another midfielder.

Hopefully lessons will be learned. Ed Woodward should stick at bringing the money in, one can't fault him there. But he has to either give the job to someone else or be more realistic when it comes to buyout clauses and in the case of players like Fabregas, at least bid a bit closer to their value so the club is somewhat interested before a higher bid is made.

Woodward is a clever man, but I bet he has learned a lot during the transfer period.

Does that not suggest these types of stories should be completely ignored?

so you believe the one i just posted then?

the general feeling out there is United board see nothing wrong with the summer, hence why i said i hope the latest article is true. not sure what your point is to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

"Thiago Alcantara was a prime target, but doubts over whether the young Spaniard could cope with the physical demands of the Premier League ­enabled Bayern Munich to snatch him from Barca.

There was further ­embarrassment with a bid to sign £36m-rated Ander ­Herrera from ­Athletic Bilbao when United were hamstrung by Spain’s tax laws.

And with Everton ­refusing to budge on a £20m valuation of Leighton Baines, a deal to bring in Real Madrid left-back Fabio Coentrao on loan collapsed. United also failed with late bids for Real Madrid’s Sami Khedira and Wesley ­Sneijder of Galatasaray."

Most of this is tabloid bullshít.

We never bid for Thiago and the truth is he was tapped up by Pep months ago and was only going there.

Cesc bids were a joke, that much can't be argued.

We never met Bilbao's buyout clause for Herrara as the bid was underneath their buyout valuation, nothing to do with tax laws whatsoever.

Everton were not going to sell us Baines and Fellaini, they probably didn't want to sell both of them to us in the same window.
    Real plugged the plug on the Coentrao deal, I guess he wants to replace Evra sooner rather than later.

Kheidira was a strange bid, maybe to put pressure on Everton over Fellaini ?

Sneijder ? Have we ever put an official bid in for him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Due to various logistical issues and the large number of away fans, the singing section trial will not take place at the league cup game.
    Promising news from #mufc with regards to the trial of the singing section, which could take place in the near future.

Oh well, Pete Boyle is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

d22ontour wrote: »
    Sneijder ? Have we ever put an official bid in for him ?

Can't have a transfer window without Sneijder being linked with United to be fair.

Im sorry......

Remember this.....

Epic lyrics there

"down and gay" , "we'll never let the badge" what the fúck?

:o:o:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Trilla wrote: »
    Epic lyrics there

"down and gay" , "we'll never let the badge" what the fúck?

:o:o:o:o:o

****ty songwriting 101:

Never let making sense get in the way of a good rhyme.

so you believe the one i just posted then?

No, I don't believe either, or at least, what I believe is not based on tabloid stories that are obviously just trying to sell papers as opposed to good journalism. My point is both stories ("United are happy and baffled" and "The Glaziers are furious") both contradict each other and thus BOTH should be ignored.
    the general feeling out there is United board see nothing wrong with the summer, hence why i said i hope the latest article is true. not sure what your point is to be honest.

"General feeling"? I've seen one story banded round for a few days saying that, but I don't think it's the "general feeling". Unless, as I mentioned above, someone wants to believe that United think everything is ok, and use that story to back their point up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

When will saf's new book be out?

Headshot wrote: »

Amazon have it listed as October 24th.

Hopefully it wil be explosive

Iv read that he'll be touring in Dublin too, I would love to go to that

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

I think 24th of october and his doing a book signing in a few places should becoming to dublin as well i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hopefully it wil be explosive

Iv read that he'll be touring in Dublin too, I would love to go to that

He's hardly likely to upset his employers & current players.

Discodog wrote: »

Why wouldnt it?

He has nothing to lose now. Id be shocked if the Rooney gate isnt brought up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Doubt he'll say anything negative about the owners but according to Daniel Taylor Utd are starting to get worried that Rooney in particular could feature heavily.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/sep/07/alex-ferguson-book-wayne-rooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hardly going to write a book complementing them? I'd say the Glazer's are safe but players and ex-staff will get roasted imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement