Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »
    Hopefully it wil be explosive

Iv read that he'll be touring in Dublin too, I would love to go to that

Hope it is not. Would prefer fergie didn't make Moyes job any harder than it needs to be with explosive revelations.

Why wouldnt it?

He has nothing to lose now. Id be shocked if the Rooney gate isnt brought up

Nothing to lose? How about the millions upon millions United are paying him as club ambassador?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

The book is completely ghost written, so I would doubt it would be totally ott!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Nothing to lose? How about the millions upon millions United are paying him as club ambassador?

I think he's untouchable at the club tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think he's untouchable at the club tbh.

He is to fans, he is not to the Glazers imo, if he attacks or brings the clubs image into disrepute they would cut ties. I have no doubt of that.

It would tarnish his legacy somewhat to broadcast what could be taken as parting shots at the club/players also, which would make him look petty.

If Fergie ever did want to (and I highly doubt he does going by what we know of him) tell a complete warts and all story of his last few years at the club it would be a good bit further down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You'll probably get some "controversial" segments that will be leaked to sell books, but will be general things like why he had a falling out with Nani, did Rooney had in a transfer request...things that can be sensationalized, but are actually quite tame when you stop and ponder them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

You'll probably get some "controversial" segments that will be leaked to sell books, but will be general things like why he had a falling out with Nani, did Rooney had in a transfer request...things that can be sensationalized, but are actually quite tame when you stop and ponder them.

Apparently none of it is being serialised. That is pretty much unheard of in relation to sports books.

This will sell. It doesn't need any extra publicity.

Apparently none of it is being serialised. That is pretty much unheard of in relation to sports books.

This will sell. It doesn't need any extra publicity.

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I hope he tells his true feelings on the Glazer's, you could tell he was being neutral whenever he talked about them.

I hope he tells his true feelings on the Glazer's, you could tell he was being neutral whenever he talked about them.

Neutral?

He was easily one of their strongest defenders!

Himself and Gill were staunch supporters of theirs in all fairness. Speculation they have a good financial incentive to be so of course, not wanting to get into that though. Been done to death :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

I would love a warts and all book by Ferguson but a few years down the line like Kryogen mentioned.
    Don't think there will be anything too shocking in it.Looking forward to getting it though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kryogen wrote: »
    Neutral?

He was easily one of their strongest defenders!

Himself and Gill were staunch supporters of theirs in all fairness. Speculation they have a good financial incentive to be so of course, not wanting to get into that though. Been done to death :)

Well Gill did a 180 from before and after they took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

lordgoat wrote: »
    Well Gill did a 180 from before and after they took over.

Debt is the road to ruin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

So The Mirror (:rolleyes:) says that Moyes has his eye on Benteke now;
    Manchester United eye Christian Benteke transfer as Moyes looks for his future muscleman

Manchester United boss David Moyes wants Aston Villa’s Belgian ‘beast’ ­Christian Benteke to be his next No.9.

Moyes is a huge fan of the powerful centre-forward who has been a striking sensation in the Premier League.

The Scot knows his attack lacks the option of height and strength and may lose Wayne ­Rooney’s ‘muscle’ with his contract running out.

Moyes made a personal check on Benteke, 22, on Friday against Scotland.

Villa gave Benteke a £60,000-a-week deal in July after he asked to leave, but boss Paul Lambert knows it is inevitable he will field big offers for the coveted hitman.

Moyes is taking a close look at his attack and flirted with Edinson Cavani until United discovered the full cost. Robin van Persie, 30, is still the main man, but the Dutchman cannot go on forever.

Benteke is an option in the next couple of windows and would even be eligible for Europe if United plunge in January.

Link

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Believe it when I see it, but wouldn't be hugely opposed. He's made me quite a bit of cash as Anytime Goalscorer :P

a nothing article, and probably contains quite a bit of truth. Fact is you could swap Benteke's name for a lot of other highly rated strikers around and you will be right as well.

Rooney might leave on a free in two years or we may sell him next summer - both eventualities have to be planned for (as well as keeping Rooney longer term) so it would be stupid for United to not be keeping a close eye on a player like Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

interesting from Nani.
    Manchester United ace Nani has revealed new boss David Moyes convinced him to stay at Old Trafford.

Nani was tipped to leave United this summer and it was even suggested he might run down his contract and leave on a free transfer next year.

However, the Portugal international ended speculation over his future by signing a new five-year deal last week.

Nani admits he turned down offers from other clubs to sign a new deal and that Moyes played a big role in his decision to pledge his long-term future to United.

"I am very content with my new deal at Manchester United," Nani told the Daily Mirror. "This summer was not easy but after a lot of thought and talking to David Moyes I believe it was the best solution.

"This summer was not easy but after a lot of thought and talking to David Moyes I believe it was the best solution."
    Nani
    "I feel I can offer many things to United. I had other important offers but without a sufficent challenge to make me want to leave United.

"The coach would not guarantee me a place in the XI more than any other player. I know I must work hard to get into this team

"That is my objective for this season."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

From tears to this
    Coentrao told Portuguese paper O Jogo. "It would have been bad if I had to stay despite having the chance to move to a better club, but that didn't happen as I already am at the best club in the world.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1547488/man-united-step-down?cc=5739

Woodies deadline day diary...
    07:00 am
    I awake to the glorious sound of the Lighthouse Family filling the room. Yes! Yes I could be lifted! It’s a suitably rock n roll start to a day on which yours truly is the headline act.
    Club tie. Lucky Penfold underpants. Freshly pressed slacks. Let’s do this! Today’s the day I put my balls firmly on the table and lay all my cards on the line. They’ll all be talking about me tomorrow that’s for sure! I run downstairs and spend a good 20 minutes contemplating which cereal to have from the variety pack whilst sipping on a strong cup of Mellow Bird’s. It definitely won’t be the last important decision I’ll make today!
    08:45 am
    Arrive at work listening to Garry Cook’s self-funded audiobook ‘Bottled It’. What an inspiration that man is. All that I know most surely about business and football I owe to his visionary genius. He’s right up there with Gerald Ratner and Phil Collins as my all-time hero.
    I check my emails. Still to hear back from that the Nigerian prince who needed my help transferring funds out of the country. Strange. I better resend my bank details just to make sure.
    09:03 am
    A furious Dave Moyes storms into my office and I very nearly soil both myself and Penfold. He’s miffed we’ve not signed Fellaini yet. Apparently we could have effing done with him against effing Liverpool. I tell him to chillax ‘pal’ (get him onside) and explain I’m all over it like marmalade on toast.
    He asks why I didn’t trigger the effing release clause weeks ago. I assure him I know exactly what I’m doing and he’ll be amazed by the how much we end up paying. He tells me to just effing sort it and storms off calling me a ‘chinless twit’. I think…
    09:48 am
    I send a message out to my entire Outlook directory announcing that Bebe is available. No immediate response. I’ll keep an eye on that.
    10:30 am
    I get hold of Bill Kenwright via FaceTime. He’s dressed as a pantomime dame – makeup, wig – the works. I ask him if it’s for a part, he’s says no. We get down to business and I offer him £30m for both Fellaini and Baines; he doesn’t say a word and flounces out of the room in a huff. Pure Kenwright. I sit there awkwardly sucking on a Mento until he returns. “Okay okay Bill, you drive a hard bargain – how about £28m plus an extra £3m based on wig sales…Bill. Bill?” We seem to lose connection. Darn nabbit!
    11:20 am
    With no word back from Kenwright I open Dave’s Excel spreadsheet – allowing macros – and look down his list of targets. Ander Herrera. Dave’s included a note saying: “May be tricky – Basque and plenty of red tape”. Sounds a little kinky for my liking but what the hell, I make the call. I’m told there’s a non-negotiable €36m buyout fee. I assume that’s a negotiating tactic and open negotiations.
    11:49 am
    Someone calls for Bebe! Wrong number. Ho hum.
    12:14 pm
    Good news at last – the canteen are doing rice pudding! As usual I sit on my own and use the time to gather my thoughts. I look over to Dave and smile. He snarls and sends Steve Round over. “You got anywhere with those targets? Don’t you think you should be cracking on?”
    “Oh to hell with you Steve you short-arsed lout. Let me get on with my sodding job”, I imagine saying. I was leaving anyway.
    13:17 pm
    Offer Bebe to Harry Redknapp. He considers it briefly but no, no dice…
    13:50 pm
    I manage to get through to Bill and quickly offer him £32m before he can hang up. He says £25m for Fellaini and no Baines. Cripes. I say I’ll think about it. There’s a call on the other line and I can tell it’s international because the ringtone is slightly different (as explained in Gill’s handover notes). It’s Bilbao. The player is keen – wahay!
    15:47 pm
    It turns out the Herrera deal is going to be more complicated than I thought. Athletic are digging their heels in and there’s complex permit issues. I ask whether it’s the same permit issues that put pay to my investment in Estafador Villas a few years back. He says he doesn’t understand. Neither did I, Pedro. Neither did I.
    I’m advised to get expert lawyers involved at the Spanish end or even fly over myself if possible. I decide on the former. Since the flight back from Oz and all that time I had to spend in custody I’m not keen. Piece of advice: if a Peruvian chap ever offers you a container of what looks like Splenda at the airport, keep walking. Oh the shame!
    16:55 pm
    Mary Mother of Moses! Somebody wants Bebe! Hurrah! This calls for a celebratory Yakult!
    18:11 pm
    Dave is back and he’s swearing like a sailor on leave. He has a face like thunder and I’ve never seen him look quite so Scottish. “Get me an effing midfielder! Get me two effing midfielders! Get me the effing left-back I asked for back in July ya wee (c word)!”
    I tell him I’m not at home to Mr Rude but it just makes him angrier. He grabs me by the lapels and asks if I’d like a Glasgow kiss. I suggest an Eton hug and he backs away. Pity.
    20:14 pm
    I switch on the TV to see how our rivals are doing (I’ll get you next time Bale!) and there’s three shifty Iberian types entering a building. Like Boggis, Bunce and Bean but with tans. They’re the types who’d offer you a holiday rental car at very competitive rates and then scarper with your deposit. I haven’t forgotten.
    The lady reporter says they’re representing Manchester United! I nearly choke on my Fruit Shoot. Not on my ruddy watch they aren’t. I immediately ring NatWest and ask them to cancel the cheque. Who’s next on the list? Sami Khedira. Dave stomping and growling outside. Eeks! I nervously bid £14m. They hear £40m and it’s rejected. Darn it!
    21:52 pm
    I Skype Ken and we’re close to agreeing a £25m deal for Fellaini. Again we’re interrupted by a call from Spain. It’s all go!
    They say Herrera is desperate to play for us and is even willing to take a £1m pay cut to push the deal through. Interesting. In a daring move I ask whether he’d be willing to part-fund the purchase of Fellaini, with easy to manage instalments deducted from his monthly pay for the next five years. It backfires. Ah well, worth a try!
    I’m back on to Bill. He says he saw everything on the webcam. He knows the Herrera deal’s off and the Fellaini price just went up to £27.5m. Ooh the cheeky minx!
    22:33 pm
    There’s not long left and Dave’s expecting at least a midfielder and Baines. I Google ‘left-back’ and find a chap who looks the spit of Pat Sharp. His name is Fabio Coentrao and instead of living in the Fun House with a pair of lovely twins he plays for Real Madrid. I pick up the receiver and dial 9 for an outside call…
    It turns out not only does Coentrao want to come but Real are willing to loan him to us – result! All I have to do is fax over the necessary paperwork and it’s a done deal! Now we’re cooking! The fax machine jams a little but it’s done and dusted! Yay me!
    22:54 pm
    Whilst I’ve been busy faxing Madrid it turns out Dave has taken things into his own hands re Fellaini. Bit rude but hey-ho. He’s spoken to the player who’s agreed to hand in a transfer request. I’m not sure what that means but the price has somehow come down! Ace of Base! It’s all coming together! I tell Dave about the Coentrao deal and for the first time today his face almost creases into a smile!
    He explains that the Fellaini transfer is agreed and all I have to do is fax the Premier League in the next few minutes. I run over to the machine faster than you can say ‘Casillero del Diablo – Official Wine Partner of Manchester United’.
    Dave asks why I’m shredding the letter. “Shredding? This isn’t the shredder! This is the fa…oh. Oh crumbs.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

James Wilson.

i4wUutpv7w1bo.gif

• Advertisement

Cracking goal - that kid is so composed in front of goal it is scary.

That's the third or fourth one of them that he has knocked in.

Great little player for his age.

made his england u-19 debut at the weekend, scored and he is still only 17!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Roll on Saturday,early kick off too.

At least I won't have to put myself through the torture of watching the Ireland game tomorrow night.

zerks wrote: »
    Roll on Saturday,early kick off too.

At least I won't have to put myself through the torture of watching the Ireland game tomorrow night.

will be very interesting to see what team he puts out.

part of me wants a full strength team - to put on a performance at OT - but we have CL during the week and the derby game up after it. Big games, so Palace should give us a chance of rotating a few players.

Would fully expect Fellaini to start, maybe beside Anderson. Would think Zaha will be involved. With Rooney possibly out, Kagawa should come into contention for a start (should anyway, imo) but with travelling back from Japan who knows if we will start him.

teams after internationals are impossible to pick.

Giggs will start IMO and any other players not involved. hopefully Rafael is back and we could see Buttner play.

is Hernandez on International duty this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Mars Bar wrote: »
    James Wilson.

i4wUutpv7w1bo.gif

Who is this kid?

Who is this kid?

James Wilson.

James Wilson.

Let the hype commence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

James Wilson.

I got that from James Wilson above the GIF what I meant is whats his position is he in the u21s etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

is Hernandez on International duty this week?

Yep. Played 20 minutes on Friday and they've a game tomorrow against team USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I got that from James Wilson above the GIF what I meant is whats his position is he in the u21s etc.

He's a 17, he's a "Second year scholar" in the academy. Has been capped for England U-19s and scored a goal. He's a forward.

In before he leaves at 19 or 20 because he is not getting a chance in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What's the betting this kid will be like Pogba.

That's how we roll.

That's how we roll.

being a local lad would have a huge difference in attitude than somebody foreign, with a foreign agent for example.

normally, our top class local talents stay with us for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

being a local lad would have a huge difference in attitude than somebody foreign, with a foreign agent for example.

normally, our top class local talents stay with us for a long time.

This. We generally get it right with the local lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That's how we roll.

Pfft I don't know I see both sides of the Pogba affair

Clearly there was an attitude by himself that he felt it was his god given right to play, and that he didn't need to apply himself. SAF wouldn't disregard a talent that didnt have a behind the scenes attitude problem.

All well and good for him, he is doing well at Juventus, but considering how six months after he left there was a quote every week about how it was the right decision to leave, makes it more obvious the lad clearly had a terrible attitude and just expects to be played based on potential alone.

The times he did figure for us in league cups and sub appearances, he didn't exactly set the stage alight in fairness.

I don't think he is a major loss at present, if he goes onto be the best midfielder in the world all well and good, but I havn't really given him a second thought until people keep bringing him up here.

In short if you apply yourself correctly, have a good attitude and take the opportunities when they come, you will be rewarded. There is enough examples of fellas with immense talent, but horrid attitudes that were shown the door. it's not difficult being a proffesional footballer, the professional part just seems to be a miss for alot of young fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That's how we roll.

Or maybe like Welbeck/Cleverley/Evans ;)

Problem for Wilson is that he is in the toughest position to break through as a player in. United need top forwards, we won't rely on an 18 yearold unless they are Messi/Rooney-esque at that age. I can see him having to go off on load a few times and come back to United a more finished article at 21 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Problem for Wilson is that he is in the toughest position to break through as a player in. United need top forwards, we won't rely on an 18 yearold unless they are Messi/Rooney-esque at that age. I can see him having to go off on load a few times and come back to United a more finished article at 21 or so.

Apart from Well beck, when was the last striker that came through our academy and stayed in the first team for any time of relevance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

TheDoc wrote: »
    Apart from Well beck, when was the last striker that came through our academy and stayed in the first team for any time of relevance?

Hughes?

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    Hughes?

Yep, last one I can think of.

I think Scholes may have been a forward when he came through though, and moved backwards.

Rossi could have made it - had he stayed the season he left he would (or should) have got lots of game time. Whether he would have become as good as required to be first choice (staying here, without the injuries) I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Yep, last one I can think of.

I think Scholes may have been a forward when he came through though, and moved backwards.

Scholes was a forward until Keane got injured in 97 iirc and pretty much stayed there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I can't wait for Saturdays game. An international break 3 games into the new season is a bit ridiculous. Just want Moyes to have a few more games played before the journos get bored with no PL and start on about transfers again and the bad start we've supposedly had.

Regarding United's failings in the transfer window, it's not all bad. Nani signed a new contract, Rooney looks to be staying put for another season at least, we've brought in a very good CM that can offer something different in both defense and attack. Another LB would be nice but Evra is playing well, I'd like us to bid for Shaw in January, his value is only going to increase over the season. Barkley is another I'd like to see United bid for at some stage over the next couple of years.

Benteke is another one rumoured this morning. Would be nice but not needed, not with RvP and Chico still at the club. We have plenty goal scorers, we need more creativity, we need more Kagawa.

Guess at 11 vs Palace....

De Gea
    Fabio--Evans--Smalling--Evra
    Fellaini--Anderson
    Nani----Giggs----Zaha
    Hernandez.

MAKE ALL THE CHANGES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

De Gea
    Fellaini--Anderson
    Nani----Giggs----Zaha
    Hernandez.

MAKE ALL THE CHANGES!

Zaha, to score the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Zaha, to score the winner.

And then play in the reserves for the rest of the season and go out on loan to Blackburn next season, getting hardly any games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

De Gea
    Fellaini--Anderson
    Nani----Giggs----Zaha
    Hernandez.

MAKE ALL THE CHANGES!

Kagawa in for Giggs and that lineup will be orgasmic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Kagawa in for Giggs and that lineup will be orgasmic...

Is Kagawa playing this week for Japan? Think that line up could be pretty close, think Young will be in there somewhere if he's not injured. And Welbeck isn't playing tomorrow night for England so he'll probably be fresher that Hernandez. I'd be suprised if Rio or Vidic wasn't included. The last thing Moyes will want is to be struggling at home against Palace...

Think it could be

DDG

Fabio----Rio----Evans----Evra

Fellaini
    Anderson

Nani
    Giggs
    Young

Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Japan are playing Ghana tomorrow at 11:20 our time. Its a friendly so he mightn't have to play the full 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

anyone know when rooney is back?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement