Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

"I am very content with my new deal at Manchester United," Nani told the Daily Mirror. "This summer was not easy but after a lot of thought and talking to David Moyes I believe it was the best solution.

"I feel I can offer many things to United. I had other important offers but without a sufficent challenge to make me want to leave United.

"The coach would not guarantee me a place in the XI more than any other player. I know I must work hard to get into this team.

"That is my objective for this season."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8913186/nani-says-david-moyes-convinced-him-to-sign-a-new-deal-at-manchester-united

Good man David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Encouraging news that Moyes can convince an important player to stay on and mend any rumoured damaged relationships that may have been there from SAF's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Haven't posted here since the transfer window...

So...what have I missed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Corvo wrote: »

So...what have I missed?

Apparently everyone is a robot and we all go into hibernation after the transfer window and we each have 11 accounts and danny welbeck is actually quite adept at calculus and Rooney can trick shuffle a deck of cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

If only Welbeck could emulate his English scoring record at United....does everything right until it comes to shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Corvo wrote: »

So...what have I missed?

I had a stew for tea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I had a stew for tea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I had a stew for tea...

Pasta, pesto and chicken.

Great place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Bit of opinion required please lads. For those of you familar with fantasy football am currently on my wildcard and have a few utd players issues to think about.
    1 Do you think RVP will play all league game over the next 6-8 games. I have my doubts due to your champions league group being more difficult than years gone by. Meaning rvp will play all those games and he may also play the carling cup game against liverpool. Is it feasible he could miss a league game or two over the next two months, considering on paper bar city its a relatively straight forward run of games .Its basically 2 games a week now until early november. Just with having a big squad the likes of hernandez, kagawa have to get gametime somewhere. Or is it a case of just play RVP in every game.
    2 Im thinking of a one week punt on Nani for this weekend. He has just signed his new contract surely he will start this weekend and could run riot.
    3 I presume Vidic will play week in week out. Ferdinand would be far more likely to be rotated IMO.
    I know its not the usual stuff discussed in here but I think point 1 in particular is something that some of yous will have an opinion on.

Personally speaking, I don't venture in here much during a week like this because there is nothing to talk about that hasn't been unsuccessfully argued on over and back a thousand times before. I'll admit to not being the most prolific poster in this forum, but I read every single post and when I go on the net this is usually the first place I want to visit, but not this fúcking week. A quick browse this evening confirmed why, and that's all I need to say about that.

GREAT news about Nani and how Moyes managed to convince him to stay, without actually caving and giving Nani the guarantee of 1st team football that he is seeking. Once Nani is given a run, his performances will earn him that nailed-on starter status.

Also, shame Utd had to spend £2m on research to discover that signing Ronaldo for £80m would dramatically increase their global brand image, I really would have done it for a grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Bit of opinion required please lads. For those of you familar with fantasy football am currently on my wildcard and have a few utd players issues to think about.
    1 Do you think RVP will play all league game over the next 6-8 games. I have my doubts due to your champions league group being more difficult than years gone by. Meaning rvp will play all those games and he may also play the carling cup game against liverpool. Is it feasible he could miss a league game or two over the next two months, considering on paper bar city its a relatively straight forward run of games .Its basically 2 games a week now until early november. Just with having a big squad the likes of hernandez, kagawa have to get gametime somewhere. Or is it a case of just play RVP in every game.
    2 Im thinking of a one week punt on Nani for this weekend. He has just signed his new contract surely he will start this weekend and could run riot.
    3 I presume Vidic will play week in week out. Ferdinand would be far more likely to be rotated IMO.
    I know its not the usual stuff discussed in here but I think point 1 in particular is something that some of yous will have an opinion on.

1. It's hard to say with Moyes in charge now.. You would imagine he could be rested if we had a particularly difficult upcoming game

2. I'm thinking the exact same thing

3. Agree, but I'm looking at getting Rafael in once he is back from injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Thread falling way too far down the page.

Predictions for score versus Palace?

Van Persie goal total for this season?

Rooney to be ready for City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

As it is such a slow day here news wise

Heres an blog about Shinji http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/kagawa-become-manchester-united-misfit-115912650.html

Theorising why he is a "misfit" at the club and looking at Moyes tactics, Welbeck etc

Thread falling way too far down the page. Yes

Predictions for score versus Palace? 2-0

Van Persie goal total for this season? 18 league

Rooney to be ready for City? Ready yes, fully fit/effective? No

Think RVP will fall off a little in goal return this year under Moyes, well just going on what I have seen, I guess with Fellaini coming in maybe we will not just be banging it up to him in the air expecting him to score wonder goals every time. Ill revise my total maybe after a couple of weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

All quiet on the United front.....
    1. Favourite ever United player, and why?
    2. First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc)
    3. Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why?
    4. Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why?
    5. Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)?

kryogen wrote: »
    Think RVP will fall off a little in goal return this year under Moyes, well just going on what I have seen, I guess with Fellaini coming in maybe we will not just be banging it up to him in the air expecting him to score wonder goals every time. Ill revise my total maybe after a couple of weeks!

Would Rooney's injury prevent him from participating in training? I had assumed it wouldn't really affect his fitness, but I'm not sure.

v3ttel wrote: »
    1. Favourite ever United player, and why? Roy Keane. Shouldn't need further explanation!
    2. First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc) 19th October 1994, Barcelona, Champions League. 2-2, Hughes and Sharpe with our goals iirc and a young Scholesy in the team! Sharpe was unreal that night!
    3. Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why? Busquets, he would be perfect for the team, greatest exponent of his position in world football today imo, excellent technically too.
    4. Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why? Ronaldo, just a joy to watch him, there would be other candidates, but when it comes down to it the heart would go for Ronaldo. A phenomenon, without injuries I think he would have gone down as the greatest ever. Possibly still is the greatest ever pure striker
    5. Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)? That one would require a bit of thought, but it would probably be Ronaldo v us in the CL when he bagged a hattrick.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

1. Favourite ever United player, and why? Roy Keane. Drive, grit, determination, leadership.
    2. First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc) Everton at Old Trafford. 2003. Rooney played for Everton. Butt, Kleberson, Bellion.
    3. Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why? David Alaba. Old head on young shoulders. Seems like a natural leader. Confident and very talented. Can play in many different positions to.
    4. Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why? Paolo Maldini. He was just pure class.
    5. Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)? Lar Corbett v KK 2010 :p

Would Rooney's injury prevent him from participating in training? I had assumed it wouldn't really affect his fitness, but I'm not sure.

Im sure he can do some training and will be fit, but you know the way he is when it comes to match sharpness, he needs to be playing to stay fully effective. He tends to run bad when cold

• Advertisement

Lar Corbett v KK 2010 :p

Seeing as I'm from KK, I was at that match too but didn't enjoy his performance that much :pac:

Thread falling way too far down the page.

Predictions for score versus Palace?

Van Persie goal total for this season?

Rooney to be ready for City?

I'm going to take a guess on 3-0 to United.. With Nani to contribute ;)

I have a feeling he will land on 24 goals in the league this season. Random enough number but I got a feeling about it.

Rooney? No, I think we won't see him until the game after, minimum. That was quite a gash he got.

Danger781 wrote: »
    I'm going to take a guess on 3-0 to United.. With Nani to contribute ;)

Apart from a win, which I'm rather arrogantly taking for granted, this is the best thing that could happen in the game!

Just on that Kagawa article I stuck up, it does re enforce the fact that he could be such an important player, he was averaging 42 passes per game last season, despite only playing 90 minutes 5 times. He had a completion ratio of over 90% and dropped back a bit more then I initially thought.

Most of his chance creation comes from the area just behind the stiker as you would assume, hopefully with Rooney out Moyes will give him the chance to play himself into the team. Need to be giving Hernandez chances too he is too good to waste

Just on that Kagawa article I stuck up, it does re enforce the fact that he could be such an important player, he was averaging 42 passes per game last season, despite only playing 90 minutes 5 times. He had a completion ratio of over 90% and dropped back a bit more then I initially thought.

Most of his chance creation comes from the area just behind the stiker as you would assume, hopefully with Rooney out Moyes will give him the chance to play himself into the team. Need to be giving Hernandez chances too he is too good to waste

Speaking of Hernandez.. Did he or RVP have international duty this week?

Which one of the two is more likely to play?

Might aswell give it a go myself.

Favourite ever United player, and why?
    I can't even answer my own question :pac:. Cristiano Ronaldo, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane, Peter Schmeichel would be the top 5.

First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc)
    29th October 1994, United 2-0 Newcastle. Pallister & Gillespie with the goals. Andy Cole was playing for Newcastle.

Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why?
    Bastian Schweinstiger, such is our need for a CM. He's just world class. Aggressive, composed, good going forward and defensively. If CM wasn't a problem, I'd love to see Marco Reus at United. He is a special player & fairly versatile too.

Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why?
    Ronaldinho. Pace, skill, flair, goals, assist, consistency (at Barcelona, at least!). Maybe the not so bright lights of Manchester would have been better environment for him to prolong his career.

Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)?
    Went to the Camp Nou to see Barcelona beat Mallorca 5-0. Messi scored a hat trick inside 29 mins. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

1. Favourite ever United player, and why? Ronaldo just because ive never been able to witness such a great player before that.
    2. First United game you attended? only a few testimonials in Ireland :(
    3. Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why? Iniesta because the ball is just sexy at his feet.
    4. Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why? Van Basten because he was a beast of a striker.
    5. Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)? 8-2 against Arsenal was unreal aswell as Roma, but Juve 99 does it for me :D

Thats mine above no real shocks other than ive never attended a proper match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

1. Favourite ever United player, and why? Schmeichel
    2. First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc) Ipswich at Home 1995 9-0
    3. Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why? Gundogan for some reason im not sure of
    4. Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why? Seedorf
    5. Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)? Neuer Vs United (CL 2011) ****er was like a wall in the first leg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Nice goal from Shinji there.

Sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

3. Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why?

Cantona, just oozed class and was the final piece in the jigsaw. after that, its got to be Giggs and Ole, two absolutely wonderful players for the club.

first game, was away to Villa in 2001 (ended 1-1, an OG from Ronny Johnson in the 91st minute saved us a point). got the bug and have been going ever since.

Fabregas or Thiago :) both immensely talented footballers and fill a huge gap that we need to have filled.

always been a huge fan of Iniesta, best player in the world outside of the main 2 IMO. probably never will leave barca now.

too many to mention, but Ronaldo away to Villa in december 2006/2007 season always stands out as the day, he finally "arrived". scored twice that day, had a 3rd disallowed and went on a run after that that defined an era and took him to world player of the year. Scholes scored that volley that day, but for me the main talking point was how well Ronaldo played. that day was the turning point in his United career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Ronaldo - I thought about being different and going for someone like Scholesy (still wouldn't be sticking my neck out I know) but there were just times Ronaldo had me genuinely grinning and shaking with excitement because of what he was doing.
      Spurs 5-3 United at the Lane in 2001. As far as firsts go it was amazing, Richards, Ziege and Ferdinand had Spurs three up at half time but United came roaring back with Cole, RVN, Blanc, Veron, and Becks scoring.
      There's just too many midfielders :pac:

But even though he's getting on now I'd love to see Xavi, just his composure is something to behold. I don't know how true the rumours are that when he was at a turning point with Barca he nearly left and came to us but think of the last 6/7 years we'd have had *splat*

Ronaldinho or Zidane. Another man who nearly came to us but just what he was doing for Barca at his peak was phenomenal
      For this one I will go with something different. Rafael Van der Vaart. It was the Spurs v United game at OT a few years back when Nani scored that goal when Gomes put the ball down thinking Spurs had been awarded a free kick.

And I don't know if time has just put a nice golden tint on it because I can't particularly remember if anyone thought he played well that night or not but I just couldn't get over his understanding of space and his effortless movement. He was a player who had no pace but yet every time I looked over at him, whether Spurs were in possession or not he appeared to always have 10 yards free either side of him whilst still occupying a position whereby he could threaten straight away if he got the ball.

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

1. Favourite ever United player, and why? -

Roy Keane - His display against Juventus 1999

Arsenal in 1998, the only loss I've experienced in many trips to Old Trafford over the past 15 years (0-1 Marc Overmars got the winner).

Bastian Schweinsteiger

4. Favorite ever player never to play for United, and why?

Roberto Carlos - His free kicks used to mesmerize me as a kid

Scholes - Any game :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Cantona, he kinda changed the scene at OT from being a nearly club to a winners club
      I know it was QPR at home and it was a 2-0 win, think it was 85.

Cesc to see how it would work out.
      Marco Van Basten, loved the Milan team of that era and loved watching him play the game.

not sure exactly but one that I enjoyed was McGrath for Villa at loftus road.

Too hard to pick one. Top 3 would be: Scholes - a genius. Cantona - class. Keane - got the best out of everyone.

2. First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc) vs Southampton 2004 3-0 Scholes, Rooney & Ronaldo goals

Pirlo - I don't care that hes old and not what we need.

Pirlo / DelPiero / Riquelme / LeTissier. All enjoyable footballers to watch.

5. Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)? Stephen Sweeney 6 aside primary school final 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Moyes will play Kagawa. There's no way he doesn't see how talented he is.

KH25 wrote: »
    Moyes will play Kagawa. There's no way he doesn't see how talented he is.

He has been playing basically a 442 with Welbeck as a support striker rather then a number 10, this has to change if Kagawa is to play, he is not a support striker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He has been playing basically a 442 with Welbeck as a support striker rather then a number 10, this has to change if Kagawa is to play, he is not a support striker

You can call it as 4-4-2 or even 4-2-3-1 with Giggs/Welbeck swapping roles in the first game. Same like Fergie did with 2 CMs, 2 wingers and 1 lead striker and 1 support striker. Just call it by any formation name you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Schmeichel, fancued myself as a bit of a keeper when I was younger

November 94, 5-0 vs City, Kanchelskis hat trick.

Schweinstieger

Maldini, phenomenal throughout his career. Kahn, again for the keeper reason.

Brazilian Ronaldo.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    You can call it as 4-4-2 or even 4-2-3-1 with Giggs/Welbeck swapping roles in the first game. Same like Fergie did with 2 CMs, 2 wingers and 1 lead striker and 1 support striker. Just call it by any formation name you want to.

But it hasn't been, it has been more a 442, or a 4411 if you like, a 4231 would be something I would like to see

The role Welbeck has been used in is support striker, he operates almost alongside RVP in the more advanced positions, Kagawa would be operating deeper

But it hasn't been, it has been more a 442, or a 4411 if you like, a 4231 would be something I would like to see

The role Welbeck has been used in is support striker, he operates almost alongside RVP in the more advanced positions, Kagawa would be operating deeper
    KAgawa wrote:
    The football we play with Japan is different to that at my club, and there are different things demanded of me here so I feel a strong sense of responsibility—to create goals and to ensure we get results,” Kagawa told reporters after the routine friendly win. “There’s a slight difference with what is expected of me in that sense. For Japan, I am asked to get higher up the pitch than with United.

Personally, I want to be the one getting through on goal and taking shots, and I am a bit disappointed that I wasn’t really able to do that today and didn’t score any goals myself.”

Yeah, would love to see him playing like David Silva/Mata role, starting wide and drifting centrally.

IMO 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 are as good as same. Also they are just names on paper. On field, even Valencia started to drift centrally a lot this season and Nani was all over the pitch moving from LW to RW. Cleverely at every given chance will move to wing for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Surprised to see so many mention Schweinsteiger. Still a class player but injury prone and probably past his best at this stage. He'd be well down my list now. Iniesta or Cesc for me.

Yeah, would love to see him playing like David Silva/Mata role, starting wide and drifting centrally.

IMO 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 are as good as same. Also they are just names on paper. On field, even Valencia started to drift centrally a lot this season and Nani was all over the pitch moving from LW to RW. Cleverely at every given chance will move to wing for whatever reason.

Yeah the formation itself isn't as important as the tactical roles the players are asked to play

Blatter wrote: »
    Surprised to see so many mention Schweinsteiger. Still a class player but injury prone and probably past his best at this stage. He'd be well down my list now. Iniesta or Cesc for me.

Still only 29 years old. With the modern fitness regimes he will at least play for 5 more years.

Would love to see him or Martinez in the United team. Dream signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That Shinji article making alot based on Wellbeck starting behind RVP in the Swansea and Liverpool game. Think thats being made too much off.

As seems very obvious, Kagawa is not up to check yet in terms of fitness and pre-season. There is no way that Wellbeck > Kagawa in a central/advanced position. Wellbeck has some good touches and neat control, but I think Kagawa is far superior.

I'd also be somewhat disappointed if Moyes deploys a 4-4-2 throughout the season.

I genuinely think we could stomp the league if we used a 4-3-3.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Sell him.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Still only 29 years old. With the modern fitness regimes he will at least play for 5 more years.

Would love to see him or Martinez in the United team. Dream signings.

He'll probably play for another few years alright but I think some of the physical attributes that were a big part of his game have deteriorated. As I said, still a great player but Cesc would be a far better signing for all sorts of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Cantona. Has to be. Pure class. The attitude. The aggression (nasty fúcker when it was needed)
    2. First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc) Watford, January 2007. Ronaldo penalty, O.G from a Richardson Cross, lovely sidefooted finish from Larsson (he had a great game, his movement off the ball was unreal, only appreciate it seeing it live) and a cheeky lob from Rooney.

I would have loved to see Fabregas sign over the summer. Can play CM or further forward. But alas...........
      Zidane. Effortless.
    5. Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)? Can't think of a player performance, but when Germany destroyed Ireland at the Aviva in the qualifiers, I was mesmerized by the German passing, some of it was like straight out of a game of Fifa. Ozil had a great game that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Favourite ever United player, and why?
    Irwin - Two footed, Irish, Consistant, I played LB as a kid

First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc) vs
    Aston Villa 1992/93 1-1 Hughes & Staunton goals

Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why?
    Xavi , Fabregas, Ribery, Ineista, Scholes :p

Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why?
    Ray Houghton - probably the most consistent midfielder I can remember for Ireland
    Kevin Hunt - best player ever to play for Bohs in my opinion
    Mindaugas Kalonas - brief spell at Bohs, was a delight to watch at times

Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)?
    Chico vs Chelsea Champions league Quarter Final 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

1. Favourite ever United player, and why? Roy Keane no explanation needed
    2. First United game you attended? Utd vs Arsenal 2003 I think, when Ruud missed the last minute penalty :( (Year, scorers, competition, etc)
    3. Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why? Pirlo, my favourite current footballer
    4. Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why? Hmm Zidane or Ronaldo, Ronaldo is prob the best striker I have ever seen play and I'm sure he would have went down as the best ever if not for injuries. Zidane needs no explanation
    5. Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)? Pirlo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is it even possible that Kagawa isn't Utd standard? Fergie and now Moyes (so far) haven't played him much. Maybe he's not suited to the Premiership.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement