Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Favourite ever United player, and why?

Denis Irwin.

First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc)

West Ham 1988 League

Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why?

Falcao.

Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why?

Henry or Le Tiss ...Could just imagine the impact either could have made ,

Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)?

Have to think about this for awhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Is it even possible that Kagawa isn't Utd standard? Fergie and now Moyes (so far) haven't played him much. Maybe he's not suited to the Premiership.

dont think thats whats happening with him tbh. Kagawa is definetly United standard but Between Adjusting him to the League and having Rooney at the club (i assume that Kagawa was brought in to play behind rooney but RVP was then signed)

He still made 20 appearences last season with 6 goals and tbh whats match fit for japan may not be whats match fit for united

Id give it a few more weeks before i start calling him a misfit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Favourite ever United player, and why? Paul Scholes, just a class act. Miss him already

First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc) Home to Arsenal a few years ago. We were beat 1-0 with Adebayor getting the winner near the end of the game.

Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why? Iniesta. One of the best players I've ever had the pleasure of seeing live. Fantastic player

Favourite ever player never to play for United, and why? Henry. Oozed class and ability. Hand gate aside that is :-D

Best player performance you've seen live (United or not)? Scholes, the many times I saw him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

kryogen wrote: »
    He has been playing basically a 442 with Welbeck as a support striker rather then a number 10, this has to change if Kagawa is to play, he is not a support striker

Fellaini arriving may allow that change to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Paul Scholes, no explanation needed. Always got a feeling of excitement when his name was read out in old trafford.

AC Milan CL semi final 1st leg 2007

Bar Messi & Ronaldo, if you could bring any current footballer to United, who would it be and why?

Iniesta.

Patrick Vieira, just imagine him and keane in the same team.Del Piero and the original Ronaldo

Kaka in the 2007 semi final and Park v Chelsea in the league decider in 2011, he was just incredible, covered every blade of grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

KH25 wrote: »
    Fellaini arriving may allow that change to happen.
    We're somewhat equipped to do it now too, I'm a big fan of the 3 attacking midfielder pivet formation that most of the other big teams play nowadays; like Real Madrid, Dortmund, Chelsea and pretty much half of the damn Bundesliga play.

If we were to set out like that now we would probably look something like this:

DDG
    Rafael----Rio
    Vidic----Evra
    Carrick
    Fellaini
    ---Nani---Kagawa---Rooney---
    van Persie

Grand wee formation altogether, very balanced, very creative, caters for playing inside and out on the wings when needed. Rooney and Kagawa are easily interchangeable, gives Nani the option swap sides. Could add a whole new dimension to United's style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Saturday can't come quick enough :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nailz wrote: »
    We're somewhat equipped to do it now too, I'm a big fan of the 3 attacking midfielder pivet formation that most of the other big teams play nowadays; like Real Madrid, Dortmund, Chelsea and pretty much half of the damn Bundesliga play.

If we were to set out like that now we would probably look something like this:

DDG
    Rafael----Rio
    Vidic----Evra
    Carrick
    Fellaini
    ---Nani---Kagawa---Rooney---
    van Persie

Grand wee formation altogether, very balanced, very creative, caters for playing inside and out on the wings when needed. Rooney and Kagawa are easily interchangeable, gives Nani the option swap sides. Could add a whole new dimension to United's style.
    Kagawa on the left and Rooney in the centre would be how I would like to see the team line up and I think its the strongest xi.Kagawa playing on the left but not a s a traditional winger would work well.He can cut in and let Evra provide the width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Cantona - he made our dreams come through.

Wasford 1984 League. 1-1 Strachan.

not too sure

(It pains me to say this but) Fowler. A lethal goal scorer

Kanchelskis vs Notts County in 1991. The full back didnt have enough strength to hold him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Trilla wrote: »
    First United game you attended? (Year, scorers, competition, etc) vs
    Aston Villa 1992/93 1-1 Hughes & Staunton goals

Did Staunton score a cracker of a free kick into the top corner? I think Villa had a white away jersey at the time, did they? Earliest game I have some recollection of watching fully...... I must have been 6 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Toss Up - Peter Schmeichel as I am a keeper and he was my idol. Roy Keane - The Ultimate leader on the pitch and for the Juve Game.

Nov 1998 vs Leeds United. It finished 3-2, Ole, Butt and Keane scored - cracking atmosphere too.

Falcao or Muller

Gerrard or Fat Ronaldo. Gerrard was and still shows he can be one of the world's best midfielders. Ronaldo - because I loved him as a striker. He was untouchable.

The entire Ireland 11 against France in 2009 in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Anderson vows to be ready
    Outlining his aims for the season in an exclusive interview with Inside United, the official club magazine, Anderson stated: "I just want to play as many games as I can. I just hope I can stay clear of injuries.

"I’ve been training hard on the training pitch and in the gym, and working on my conditioning. I am pleased with how things are going and, whenever the manager needs me, I will be ready.

"I have been doing more running, which has helped my fitness. The physios in Portugal have helped me a lot, as have all the coaches at United. I have also been working hard myself. I have built up the strength in my knee, worked hard in training.

"I have been eating well and sleeping well, while I have also been coming into training on my days off to do more work. It has really helped me and I feel great."

During the in-depth interview with Inside United, which is out on Wednesday, Anderson reiterated his desire to steer clear of injuries in order to make a real impact throughout the champions' title defence.

"I think it’s a big season for me," he stressed. "For everyone. However, I don’t want to say that and then pick up another injury. I have often started seasons well, played six or seven games and then got injured.

"I’ll tell you at the end of the season if it’s been a big season for me!"

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2013/Sep/anderson-ready-to-make-a-real-contribution.aspx?pageNo=2

Good to hear that if true, working on off days to improve his fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Giggsy11 wrote: »

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2013/Sep/anderson-ready-to-make-a-real-contribution.aspx?pageNo=2

I think it's about time he realised this. He's not a athletic person like Ronaldo or Nani, he has to work on his fitness a lot more than they do, similar to Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Nice to see that hes putting in the effort, I would love to see the Anderson we had in his 1st season before Fergie brain farted and thought DM would suit him :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

master-t wrote: »

Gerrard or Fat Ronaldo.

tumblr_m0fpx2gZzj1qh2o7zo1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Was actually watching videos of Anderson last night. Would be fantastic to get him fully fit for a season.

Pj! wrote: »
    tumblr_m0fpx2gZzj1qh2o7zo1_500.gif

Huh??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Huh??

I would imagine Gerrard!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Roy Keane for me, outstanding leader on the pitch.

2005/2006 Manchester Derby, League. Van Nistelroy with a tap in and Vessel with a volley.

Schweinsteiger, he is a man of steel and would fill in the Roy Keane gap.

Ronaldinho, incredible player and always loved the game with passion.

Man Utd vs Barcelona 1-0, 2008.

Pj! wrote: »
    Was actually watching videos of Anderson last night. Would be fantastic to get him fully fit for a season.

It really would. A fit in form Anderson bursting forward from Midfield is a fine sight!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think it was the use of fat and what happened last time that term was used for the man from Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Kagawa's quotes about Moyes are pretty worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Kagawa's quotes about Moyes are pretty worrying.

Not really. He was asked about why is he not playing for which he replied "You have to ask manager" which media twisted it as "You should ask David Moyes why I'm not playing".

Vikram @onesiralex
    Jesus , Kagawa gets asked why he doesn't start for #mufc and he politely says " thats a question for my manager" and the press ..well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Not really. He was asked about why is he not playing for which he replied "You have to ask manager" which media twisted it as "You should ask David Moyes why I'm not playing".

Vikram @onesiralex

thats what i assume happened. wouldnt be the first time something was twisted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Too little, too late, in my opinion. He's at one of the biggest clubs in the world and it's taken him 6 years to eventually knuckle down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gerrard or Fat Ronaldo.
    ]

Still one of the most irritatingly ignorant things you hear from "fans" about a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He ain't Fat no more either.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Too little, too late, in my opinion. He's at one of the biggest clubs in the world and it's taken him 6 years to eventually knuckle down.

We don't actually know whats been going on behind the scenes, would you not put more blame on Fergie for example for putting up with a player for 6 years who hadn't knuckled down and didn't get what it meant to be a United player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

He ain't Fat no more either.

You weren't watching The Italian Grand Prix at the weekend I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

well, while it may be nice to take such a hard line, in reality is a moronicly stupid stance to take.

While Anderson remains at the club - it should never be considered too late. It can be irritatingly late, but not too late.

For arguments sake - if Anderson was to get his fitness to Fletcher's level before his illness, and allied that to a consistency of performance - you would still want him kicked out, would you? I would assume not, because when Anderson plays to his best level (which is rare) he is a fantastic midfielder.

I said it in the summer, and I stick by it now - I think Moyes could be a fantastic manager for Anderson. He'll get Ando fit, and Ando is the style of midfielder I reckon Moyes will love. All action, a bit or everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Don't you get carded for calling him fat now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Don't you get carded for calling him fat now?

Back Seat modding is an offence too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

dahat wrote: »
    Back Seat modding is an offence too...

Hey, all I was doing was asking a question.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would like to see an Anderson - Fellaini partnership this weekend, think Anderson deserves some minutes. However, with the assumption that Carrick and Fellaini are the first choice partnership I think we have to start them, with an important CL game and the derby coming up - we need to get those two gelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wasn't Anderson brough out to do extra shuttle sprints after the Swansea game even though he got 15/20 mins of action?

Anderson like a few more will have 12/18 months to prove themselves to Moyes,the squad men need to show they are worth keeping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The thing I find most interesting is Andersons comments on how he got back before only to end up getting injured after a few games.

It looks to me like Moyes has purposely avoided playing him while he gets into the right physical conditioning that will hopefully help him avoid further injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

well, while it may be nice to take such a hard line, in reality is a moronicly stupid stance to take.

While Anderson remains at the club - it should never be considered too late. It can be irritatingly late, but not too late.

For arguments sake - if Anderson was to get his fitness to Fletcher's level before his illness, and allied that to a consistency of performance - you would still want him kicked out, would you? I would assume not, because when Anderson plays to his best level (which is rare) he is a fantastic midfielder.

I said it in the summer, and I stick by it now - I think Moyes could be a fantastic manager for Anderson. He'll get Ando fit, and Ando is the style of midfielder I reckon Moyes will love. All action, a bit or everything.

After six years, it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm finding myself getting optimistic about Anderson's chances again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If it's plain for us to see and the players as well, do people think the club have let Anderson slouch off the past 5 years?

It's kind of ridiculous if they're only putting him in a proper fitness program now, he should have been sent off to boot camp a few seasons ago when his fitness evidently started to hold him back.

After six years, it should be.

Way to just ignore the post you quoted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

RVP with two goals already tonight against Andorra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

NUTZZ wrote: »
    RVP with two goals already tonight against Andorra.

Take him off!!!

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Take him off!!!

He's looking for the hat trick apparently so it doesn't look likely at the moment.

Game over, he's ok! Netherlands qualify for Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kagawa wondering out loud.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/10/manchester-united-shinji-kagawa-david-moyes
    "Please ask David Moyes why I'm not in the side," Kagawa told AFP. "It is frustrating not playing but to score a goal like that gives me confidence. Hopefully I can take that back to my club with me and things will improve. It's hard not playing regularly. Some days the frustration is worse than others – it comes in waves.

"So it's nice to come back to Japan and get to play, and to score felt good. I just have to keep working hard and keep pushing for my chance. When I get back it will be a challenge to get into the team.

"When I get back to my club I have to wait for my chance in the Champions League and the Premier League. I'm sure my chance will come."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I wonder if I'll see an Irish player that I want in United's first team again in my lifetime.

mike65 wrote: »

You have a habit of posting a slanted version of something that has already been posted in this thread ya know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I wonder if I'll see an Irish player that I want in United's first team again in my lifetime.

Johnny Evans should play for us again.:pac::pac:

;)

ya i know what you mean though...hard times coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Only for Rafael, I'd love to see Seamie Coleman arrive in a few years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Game over, he's ok! Netherlands qualify for Brazil.

So this is how Arsenal felt for years!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement