Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Poor Ashley Young joined twitter. Hes gonna get some abuse :pac:
    God its a slow day if this is the most recent post...an hour ago
    Must be an international week or something.
    Fair play to Ashley though....34k followers in an hour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

brinty wrote: »
    God its a slow day if this is the most recent post...an hour ago
    Must be an international week or something.
    Fair play to Ashley though....34k followers in an hour....

God it must REALLY be a slow day if the most recent post is a post commenting on the most recent post about the most recent post on the page....

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Poor Ashley Young joined twitter. Hes gonna get some abuse :pac:

the same clowns abusing him are the same ones who post on the official facebook page. absolutely clueless idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think it is an important line up to be honest. Everything I have seen from Moyes so far has been cautious. Cautious in the transfer market and cautious in his team selections, and I would really like to see something from him that suggests he has the confidence to take a few risks.

At home to Crystal Palace, if he can't be more attacking there then when can he be?

How has it been cautious. In the transfer market he tried for a world class player like Fabregas something Fergie didn't do in years.

Has the team selections been more cautious than Fergie of recent years in big games. We went away and beat Swansea 4-1. Chelsea parked the bus against us and against Liverpool away for the first time in years we were the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I reckon it's the brands such as Nike and Adidas asking (forcing) them to join.

Wouldn't happen under Fergie's watch though!

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »

:confused::confused: most of the lads who have social media, are on it for a long time already

I reckon it's the brands such as Nike and Adidas asking (forcing) them to join.

So you don't have a clue why he joined the site so speculated to have a dig at Moyes.

:confused::confused: most of the lads who have social media, are on it for a long time already

I know, but more and more footballers are joining and the first thing they do is share a photo of them by a brand.
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    So you don't have a clue why he joined the site so speculated to have a dig at Moyes.

Wut?

I know, but more and more footballers are joining and the first thing they do is share a photo of them by a brand.

Wut?

You said it wouldn't have happened under Fergie's watch. So you saying it happening under Moyes watch sounds like a dig at Moyes.

You said it wouldn't have happened under Fergie's watch. So you saying it happening under Moyes watch sounds like a dig at Moyes.

Or was it a testament to the old fella eh? Not all things are digs

• Advertisement

Or was it a testament to the old fella eh? Not all things are digs

Or is was a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jesus, Saturday can't come quick enough!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Will Keane made a sub appearance during the week against Birmingham!

Delighted for him, but a year behind schedule so it's to be taken with a pinch of salt i suppose

It didn't even enter my mind that it could be construed as a dig at Moyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Well think (very carefully) before ya speak next time ok? You're very bold....

Your right i apolagise i obviously took you up wrong. Just fed up listening to United fans i know lately. They compare everything Moyes does to Fergie and how Fergie would have done it different. Moyes is his own man people need to stop comparing him to the best manager of all time and give him a chance to put his stamp on the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How has it been cautious. In the transfer market he tried for a world class player like Fabregas something Fergie didn't do in years.

Has the team selections been more cautious than Fergie of recent years in big games. We went away and beat Swansea 4-1. Chelsea parked the bus against us and against Liverpool away for the first time in years we were the better team.

If you don't think he has been cautious then we will have to disagree. You say he tried for Fabregas, but it was also reported that he vetoed a deal for Thiago because he hadn't scouted him personally, thats cautious as ****. It is also my opinion that Uniteds lack of transfer dealings were as much to do with Moyes not being prepared to take a chance on players as it was to do with Ed Woodward, thats cautious.

As for team selections, they have not been more cautious than Fergie because you could almost believe Fergie picked the team for the first three games! Valencia continuing to play. Giggs continuing to play, Jones at right back and Kagawa on the bench, thats a Fergie team.

I'm not saying Moyes should be doing things different than Fergie just because, but I do think it was easy for Moyes to stick with the tried and tested in his first few games instead of putting his own stamp on things. Thats understandable to an extent, but now I would like to see something more from him.

Just fed up listening to United fans i know lately. They compare everything Moyes does to Fergie and how Fergie would have done it different.

Heh. Like you just did in your first reply to me up the page?
    Has the team selections been more cautious than Fergie of recent years in big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

lordgoat wrote: »
    Will Keane made a sub appearance during the week against Birmingham!

Delighted for him, but a year behind schedule so it's to be taken with a pinch of salt i suppose

That's mad ted, was only thinking of when is he back today. Be interesting to see if he recovers fully as he showed such promise before the injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

If you don't think he has been cautious then we will have to disagree. You say he tried for Fabregas, but it was also reported that he vetoed a deal for Thiago because he hadn't scouted him personally, thats cautious as ****. It is also my opinion that Uniteds lack of transfer dealings were as much to do with Moyes not being prepared to take a chance on players as it was to do with Ed Woodward, thats cautious.

As for team selections, they have not been more cautious than Fergie because you could almost believe Fergie picked the team for the first three games! Valencia continuing to play. Giggs continuing to play, Jones at right back and Kagawa on the bench, thats a Fergie team.

I'm not saying Moyes should be doing things different than Fergie just because, but I do think it was easy for Moyes to stick with the tried and tested in his first few games instead of putting his own stamp on things. Thats understandable to an extent, but now I would like to see something more from him.

You say he was being cautious. I say he was sticking to his principles and showing prudent management. If he wasn't convinced a player wasn't what we needed then I say fair play to him for not buckling and giving into the pressure. Shows strength of character IMO.

Also just to add, It's ridiculous people are getting frustrated and annoyed about the team selections thus far. Alot of of players eg kagawa had little or no preseason and with our incredibly difficult start to the season Moyes can be forgiven for playing a bit of experience.

Iv no doubt we will see giggs and the likes less and less in the next 3-5 games. Kagawa will get his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Anyone know anything about this book?

It's being released soon enough.

BT9B1KVCMAEMcN3.jpg

You say he was being cautious. I say he was sticking to his principles and showing prudent management. If he wasn't convinced a player wasn't what we needed then I say fair play to him for not buckling and giving into the pressure. Shows strength of character IMO.

Also just to add, It's ridiculous people are getting frustrated and annoyed about the team selections thus far. Alot of of players eg kagawa had little or no preseason and with our incredibly difficult start to the season Moyes can be forgiven for playing a bit of experience.

There is standing up for your principles, and then there is passing on one of the best known young talents in the game available at <£20m. I accepted Moyes passing on Strootman because there was a lot of risk there, but few people would agree that passing on Thiago was prudent management.

And to your second paragraph, who exactly is getting frustrated and annoyed? You must be projecting, because I simply said that I wanted to see something more from Moyes this weekend than the same turgid play we have had so far this season and most of last. Its Crystal Palace at home, I remember a time when we would be steamrollering a team like that 5-0. It would be nice to see signs of that happening again some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

There is standing up for your principles, and then there is passing on one of the best known young talents in the game available at <£20m. I accepted Moyes passing on Strootman because there was a lot of risk there, but few people would agree that passing on Thiago was prudent management.

And to your second paragraph, who exactly is getting frustrated and annoyed? You must be projecting, because I simply said that I wanted to see something more from Moyes this weekend than the same turgid play we have had so far this season and most of last. Its Crystal Palace at home, I remember a time when we would be steamrollering a team like that 5-0. It would be nice to see signs of that happening again some time in the future.

Well if Moyes didn't feel he was the type of player required and hadn't seen enough of him then he was dead right to veto the deal. Anyway, the majority of reports were that we were in for him but he chose Bayern. Ex manager who was also the brother of his agent etc.

If you look at the trend of players we were in for this summer it was generally already proven and experienced players we were looking at by all accounts. Thiago is an exceptional talent no doubt and Id love to have seen him sign but he has not proven anything or very little at club level thus far. Had a very good U-21 tournament in the summer!

As to who is annoyed and frustrated, I wasn't aiming that directly at you but there were numerous posters after the Liverpool result who certainly were. Can put it down to anger in the immediate aftermath maybe.

I think everyone expects us to beat Palace well but again it's come right after an international break with a few players travelling long distances so I won't hold anything against him if he's not playing a trio of Kagawa-Rooney-Nani that everyone is keen on seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Encouraging news that Moyes can convince an important player to stay on and mend any rumoured damaged relationships that may have been there from SAF's time.

tbh he's prob on a big contract and no one else would take on his wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Press conference tomorrow at 4pm with Moyes & Fellaini apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Not gonna be able to get to a tv for the game saturday, do bt sport or whoever are showing the game have an online presence or am I gonna have to look for an alternative/unreliable means to watch the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

There's a game tomorrow!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Al Capwned wrote: »
    There's a game tomorrow!!! :D

Thank the good f*cking lord!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mada999 wrote: »
    tbh he's prob on a big contract and no one else would take on his wages

As far as I know he wasn't on massive money (for a top PL player). he certainly wasn't on 100k plus - and I remember reading United were offering him an increase to 90k originally, so i think he was on around 70-80k prior to this new deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Gareth Bale ‏@GarethBale22 16h
    Hope @youngy18 doesn't fall over while trying to tweet anything

heh

note: parody account

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Danger781 wrote: »
    heh

note: parody account

Funny in so many ways :D

really looking forward to tomorrow - gonna have to go to the gym or something in the morning to eat away at the time before kickoff.

Genuinely excited to see what team we put out. Pretty much as long as Giggs isn't starting I'm gonna be happy with it I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Genuinely excited to see what team we put out. Pretty much as long as Giggs isn't starting I'm gonna be happy with it I reckon.

I reckon you won't be happy!

I reckon you won't be happy!

well, that I never am - but I genuinely don't see a need for Giggs to start.

We don't HAVE to play 5 in midfield (with an AMC) where Giggs, Rooney or Kagawa could be played as a link to the striker. So if Rooney is out and Moyes doesn't start Kagawa then just play two from RVP, Welbeck and Chico.

If we do play with a 3 man midfield we could also pick 3 from Carrick, Fellaini, Anderson and Cleverley.

On the wings we have a fit selection of wingers to chose from - Nani, Valencia, Young and Zaha.

There really is 0 reason why Giggs should be starting tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Really looking forward to tomorrow's game. Whatever the naysyers say we have now a better starting eleven than last year and we cantered to the title.

Think the amount of fans wearing wigs will be in the thousands :-)

Really looking forward to tomorrow's game. Whatever the naysyers say we have now a better starting eleven than last year and we cantered to the title.

Think the amount of fans wearing wigs will be in the thousands :-)

Moyes certainly has an 11 with the potential to be a lot better than last year.

Firstly due to the addition of Fellaini.

Secondly because not a single winger was any good last season, so get Valencia, Nani, Young playing at or close to their best, and maybe get some of Zaha's potential on the pitch.

Those two issues could give us a significant performance improvement. Assuming Carrick, RVP etc perform as they did last year too.

RVP

Chico
    -Zaha
    Nani-
    ---Carrick-Fellaini---
    -Evra-J.Ev-Vid-Raf-

I think I'd like to see something like this tomorrow.

Maybe not exactly that shape, but yeah, you get my point.

Danger781 wrote: »

RVP

Chico
    -Zaha
    Nani-
    ---Carrick-Fellaini---
    -Evra-J.Ev-Vid-Raf-

I think I'd like to see something like this tomorrow.

Maybe not exactly that shape, but yeah, you get my point.

You'd have to swap RVP and Chico - no way does Chico have the game to play as a link man.

You'd have to swap RVP and Chico - no way does Chico have the game to play as a link man.

I think you could just make that a quasi-traditional 4-4-2 and we'd be laughin

• Advertisement

I think you could just make that a quasi-traditional 4-4-2 and we'd be laughin

Yeah - I agree - but the original post had Chico as a 'No. 10', which he isn't.

Also, I want me €10:P

Yeah - I agree - but the original post had Chico as a 'No. 10', which he isn't.

Yeah like I said, not necessarily that exact formation, but something along the lines of those player choices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

It's unfortunate the way everyone is kind of turning on Giggs after the career he has had for the club.

What I hope is happening is that he has started the first few games to add that experience and on field instruction in this initial period of transition. I see his appearences becoming quite a bit more fleeting, he has shown the maturity over the past number of years to know that his playing time was going to be reduced and not kick up any sort of fuss, this was evident in any interview you'd see with him.
    I think that maturity will serve him well and I don't think his position on the coaching staff has any influence on him getting in the team, that is I don't think he would be in Moyes ear pleading to play.
    Tomorrows line up will be very interesting, looking froward to seeing that cool mudder f#cker Fellaini in United Red!

ericzeking wrote: »
    It's unfortunate the way everyone is kind of turning on Giggs after the career he has had for the club.

What I hope is happening is that he has started the first few games to add that experience and on field instruction in this initial period of transition. I see his appearences becoming quite a bit more fleeting, he has shown the maturity over the past number of years to know that his playing time was going to be reduced and not kick up any sort of fuss, this was evident in any interview you'd see with him.
    I think that maturity will serve him well and I don't think his position on the coaching staff has any influence on him getting in the team, that is I don't think he would be in Moyes ear pleading to play.
    Tomorrows line up will be very interesting, looking froward to seeing that cool mudder f#cker Fellaini in United Red!

My issue with Giggs, legend that he is, is that I see him as a safe choice for Moyes, and not the right choice.

I defended Giggs selection off the bench for Chelsea as I felt the context of that sub was reasonable. I could understand it. Playing him on the right side of midfield when Young had done well vs Chelsea there was just perplexing.

Tomorrow, regardless of where you could play Giggs, I think there are better options to pick, and better options that should be picked - Kagawa, Nani, Young and Zaha should all be getting some game time, and tomorrow is a great opportunity for this.

No disrespect intended to Palace by the way - they could give us a bloody nose - but if we can't have the confidence to experiment or go for it vs Palace at home, we are in serious trouble.

wouldn say people are turning on him, its more a frustraion at the club that we still have to depend on a man turning 40 than anything else.

in saying that, theres been certain elements of our support that have been "turning" on him for 10 years. you had idiots on the now infamous "sack Fergie, sell Giggs" brigade about 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Ive no issue with giggs at all the fact he can still play at the top level is proof of how good he is.

Most fans problem is that we are still relying on him and it is very bad for the club as he could retire at the end of a season or get injured for long periods. This time could be used to develop one of the young CM's and get him game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Think the frustration with fans is that everyone would be thinking that there's better options in the midfield up to now. If there was neither Fergie or indeed Moyes has seen it. A wonderful servant to the club over 20 odd years Giggs.

His selection in the middle will be few and far between with Fellaini there now or at least should be. I think we're in decent shape going forward. Hopefully Moyes can fix the problem of some players playing 2 and being injured 6. No other team as far as i know would have players on treatment table for as long as we have.

What I hope is happening is that he has started the first few games to add that experience and on field instruction in this initial period of transition.

Patrice Evra 30+ - Former national Captain, European cup winner, Multiple premier league titles, played in World cup and European cup
    Rio Ferdinand 30+ - Former national Captain, European cup winner, Multiple premier league titles, played in World cup and European cup
    Nemanja Vidic 30+ - European cup winner, Multiple premier league titles, played in World cup
    Michael Carrick 30+ - England International, European cup winner, Multiple premier league titles
    Robin Van Persie 30 - Dutch International - Premier league winner, played at World cup and European Cup
    Wayne Rooney - European cup winner, Multiple premier league titles, played in World cup and European cup

Ashley Young, Chico, Valencia, Evans, Rafael, Wellbeck, all title winners and internationals.

I've said it before, but these players do not need Giggs to hold their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

really looking forward to tomorrow - gonna have to go to the gym or something in the morning to eat away at the time before kickoff.

Go out the back and kick a cup champion ball off the wall, interchanging your good and bad foot while singing "glory glory Man Utd" for 3 hours

Gym, gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Expecting to see Fellaini and Carrick in midfield tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how Sideshow Bob fits in

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement