Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just reading the sigs there, people have far to much time on their hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Should have asked him why we were after a first choice left back when we have Paddy

Actually can't believe none of those journos asked
    because he thinks Baines is better obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Guys can we stop with the football talk for at least five minutes?

So... Whos getting GTA V?

I joke, I joke!

Can't wait for tomorrow, my only opinion on the game right now is I'll be very, very annoyed if Giggs starts! I'd love to see Kagawa, but as he's been around the world playing the past week I won't expect much. But, please God just don't start Giggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Julez wrote: »
    I'd love to see Kagawa, but as he's been around the world playing the past week I won't expect much. But, please God just don't start Giggs!

I think Kagawa will get on for a while tomorrow but will start in his favoured position on Tuesday against Leverkusen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

MD1990 wrote: »
    because he thinks Baines is better obviously

Coentrao as well then obviously?

I think Kagawa will get on for a while tomorrow but will start in his favoured position on Tuesday against Leverkusen.
    Yeah probably the best way to do it. Would like to see him get a full game mid week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

David Moyes "I've watched Belgium play and I always come away thinking Fellaini is the best player in the squad."

WTF??

David Moyes "I've watched Belgium play and I always come away thinking Fellaini is the best player in the squad."

WTF??

I know, what kind of an idiot manager tries to build the confidence of one of his players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Julez wrote: »
    I know, what kind of an idiot manager tries to build the confidence of one of his players?

I know, especially when he could of bought him much earlier at a cheaper price but left it til last minute cause he couldn't get anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hope Fellaini, Nani and Kagawa all start tomorrow, its unlikely but at the very least they should all get good run outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Afro One was on SSN now.

Cool muta fu*ker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I know, especially when he could of bought him much earlier at a cheaper price but left it til last minute cause he couldn't get anyone else.

Have, could have bought him.

Nice try apart from that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Fellaini... defensive midfielder.... Music to my ears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

Anyone know if Rafael is fit for tomorrow or when he's due back???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

He as in Woodward? Don't blame Moyes for our fiasco summer transfer saga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Any mention of Chicharito in the press conference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

chris445 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Rafael is fit for tomorrow or when he's due back???

Originally was penciled in to be back for the City game so doubt we'll see him tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Did he not explain literally earlier today why the deal took so long to conclude? I'd say he thought (and this is reasonable enough) that Baines and Fellaini could be got for 35m. As the window went on he probably expected Everton to budge.

Hard to believe Fletch is still only 29, 2 years older than Rooney.

There were periods between 2009 up until his injury when he was world class.

Was it the 2009 CL final he missed that a lot of people said we could have won with him in the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was it the 2009 CL final he missed that a lot of people said we could have won with him in the team?

So people will lol at that, but I think he was big loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

We were never going to win it 2009. I don't think anyone would have beat Barca that year, they were incredible.

Meh, 2011 no doubt but I think it would have been different in 2009 with Fletcher, there would have been a balance in the team.

We were playing with a 5 man midfield, Park, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney with Ronaldo up top basically told to get us goals. Most knew we weren't going to win with that team.

With Fletcher, Ronaldo could have been moved out right with Fletch, Carrick and Giggs. Rooney behind Tevez, I think we could have given them a good game.

Anyway no point dwelling on the past, hopefully Fletch gets back playing soon, badly missed, top bloke by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So people will lol at that, but I think he was big loss

He was a big loss, but this here is just blind revisionism:
    There were periods between 2009 up until his injury when he was world class.

Fletcher wasn't world class even in his wildest dreams. What he was in 2009 was a good player playing out of his skin and influencing games. He was a big loss for the final, but lets not get carried away shall we.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I only just copped who baldy is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Fletch was never world class but for a few seasons he was very effective and produced some brilliant performances.His career was stopped for a time when he probably would have been at his peak and no doubt he would have been a good addition the last 2 seasons.
    Does anyone think he will make it back to the level he was at before the illness

He was a big loss, but this here is just blind revisionism:

Fletcher wasn't world class even in his wildest dreams. What he was in 2009 was a good player playing out of his skin and influencing games. He was a big loss for the final, but lets not get carried away shall we.

Says you.

Didn't you say Evra was world class last season?

What's your definition of world class?

Fletch was in the PL team of the year in 09/10, "playing out of his skin" for two/three seasons at the level he was playing IMO he was one of the top midfielders around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Watching PSG here, Lucas Moura looks very special. Still a bit raw mind but so much potential. Such a strong runner like Walcott but with technique. Shame he didnt sign for us.

• Advertisement

Says you.

What's your definition of world class?

Fletch was in the PL team of the year in 09/10, "playing out of his skin" for two/three seasons at the level he was playing IMO he was one of the top midfielders around.

You just neutered your argument by using Evra as a comparison.

In 2009, unarguably Fletchers best year, Patrice Evra was also named on that same PL team of the year. Oh, by the way, that year Evra was also named on the FIFPro world 11 and the 2009 Uefa team of the year. Fletcher was not.

Which of them was world class again?

And by the way, no I did not say Evra was world class last season. You must be mixing me up with somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Watching PSG here, Lucas Moura looks very special. Still a bit raw mind but so much potential. Such a strong runner like Walcott but with technique. Shame he didnt sign for us.
    Lucas is a great player.Would def be a major asset on the right wing for United.He gave Jordi alba all sorts of problems last year. Great at one on one situations unlike some of the wingers united posess

You just neutered your argument by using Evra as a comparison.

In 2009, unarguably Fletchers best year, Patrice Evra was also named on that same PL team of the year. Oh, by the way, that year Evra was also named on the FIFPro world 11 and the 2009 Uefa team of the year. Fletcher was not.

Which of them was world class again?

No I didn't.

I like the way you just skipped the part where I said last season, good on you. I must be mistaking you with someone else so my bad.

The same FIFPro and Uefa teams that have had both Xavi and Iniesta in them all for the past 5 consecutive years?

So I'll ask again what is world class to you?

World class to me is a player who you could put in a list of maybe the top 20 in a certain position for a certain year, Fletcher would be in mine for 2009. *

*and I know that will contain biases because I haven't watched as much of some as I have as others, but if anyone else has a better way to determine that doesn't entail checking their rating on FIFA 14 please enlighten me.

Just got the latest United Uncovered email from manutd.com. There is a great article in it about one of my childhood United heroes, Steve Coppell along with a video of some of his best moments in a United shirt, great memories and Brian Moore commentating on some of it too, made my day that!

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/United-Uncovered/News/2013/Sep/Issue-33/video-steve-coppell-feature.aspx

The same FIFPro and Uefa teams that have had both Xavi and Iniesta in them all for the past 5 consecutive years?

Xavi and Iniesta haven't been two of the best midfielders in the world the past five years? News to me. Is the Ballon D'or also meaningless because Messi keeps winning it?

So I'll ask again what is world class to you?

World class to me is a player who you could put in a list of maybe the top 20 in a certain position for a certain year, Fletcher would be in mine for 2009. *

Well to me thats an absurdly broad definition that renders the term "World class" meaningless. Was the 19th best left back in the world really a world class player?

Is Johnny Evans world class? I can't name 20 better central defenders than him last year so he must be. Is Theo Walcott world class? His stats were as good as Bales last season, so he must be world class. Nah. World class means the best in the world. The best. Not the top 20 or 30 in each position or whatever it takes to make your opinion seem correct.

Fletcher is like Liverpool's Lucas, his reputation grows with every year he doesn't play. But the reality is that for most of his United career he was a jack-of-all-trades, master of none grafter that actually shipped a lot of criticism in a time when our midfield had Miller and O-Shea playing there. The stars came together and he had a fantastic year in 2009, but it wasn't a year where he became a massively talented player, it was a year where he covered every blade of grass, pressed constantly and played to his strengths.

Fletcher was a massive loss in the 2009 final, and I really do think the result might have been different had he played. But world class? Nope.

Xavi and Iniesta haven't been two of the best midfielders in the world the past five years? News to me. Is the Ballon D'or also meaningless because Messi keeps winning it?

Well to me thats an absurdly broad definition that renders the term "World class" meaningless. Was the 19th best left back in the world really a world class player?

Is Johnny Evans world class? I can't name 20 better central defenders than him last year so he must be. Is Theo Walcott world class? His stats were as good as Bales last season, so he must be world class. Nah. World class means the best in the world. The best. Not the top 20 or 30 in each position or whatever it takes to make your opinion seem correct.

Fletcher is like Liverpool's Lucas, his reputation grows with every year he doesn't play. But the reality is that for most of his United career he was a jack-of-all-trades, master of none grafter that actually shipped a lot of criticism in a time when our midfield had Miller and O-Shea playing there. The stars came together and he had a fantastic year in 2009, but it wasn't a year where he became a massively talented player, it was a year where he covered every blade of grass, pressed constantly and played to his strengths.

Fletcher was a massive loss in the 2009 final, and I really do think the result might have been different had he played. But world class? Nope.

Exactly my point, arguably the two best midfielders of the generation and probably two of the best we'll ever see and you put it against Fletcher that he didn't get in the team but Evra did.

So I'll ask you again for the third time, you seem quick to dismiss other opinions yet slow to share your own, how do you determine world class?

You're seriously saying to me that there isn't 20 world class midfielders in the world today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As much as I hate the term, if I had to define world class I would do it as follows:

Earth are playing Mars in the Solar System Super Cup. You have to pick the squad. A world class player is anyone that you would consider for that squad.

As much as I hate the term, if I had to define world class I would do it as follows:

Earth are playing Mars in the Solar System Super Cup. You have to pick the squad. A world class player is anyone that you would consider for that squad.

But that method is just as flawed, or not, as my way.

Your just taking a smaller sample.

A squad of 22, if you're playing 4-4-2, you just have to look at Barca and Bayern, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and say Schweinsteiger fill up all of the CM slots, but those 4 are definitely not the only "world class" midfielders. What about Dortmund, Juventus, Milan, United, Chelsea, City..

Nobody is going to agree on the definition but telling someone else that they're wrong when the topic of "world class" comes up is just pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

A squad of 22, if you're playing 4-4-2, you just have to look at Barca and Bayern, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and say Schweinsteiger fill up all of the CM slots, but those 4 are definitely not the only "world class" midfielders. What about Dortmund, Juventus, Milan, United, Chelsea, City..

Nobody is going to agree on the definition but telling someone else that they're wrong when the topic of "world class" comes up is just pointless.

I agree. There are not just as many world class players as there are spots on a World XI + subs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well somebody needs to be right and wrong and the term needs to be properly defined, or else people need to stop using it as it has no meaning. Which is why I hate when it's used.

That said, my definition allows for more than the 4 you mentioned because I didn't say they would be in the squad, just that you would consider them. Any player that merits discussion for inclusion in that squad would be world class by my definition.

If your four were so far ahead of everyone else that there was no discussion to be had, then yes there would only be four "world class" midfielders in the world. But if there were another ten or twenty anywhere close to them, then there would be 14 or 24.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

World class means the best in the world. The best. Not the top 20 or 30 in each position or whatever it takes to make your opinion seem correct

No, that's just an equally retarded definition of world class.

Edit: In fact your definition is more retarded.

No, that's just an equally retarded definition of world class.

Edit: In fact your definition is more retarded.

Will you give your unretarded definition then? I'm open to correction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

There's no set amount of players when it comes to defining world class players. Its all personal opinion anyways. Scholes was world class. Ozil is world class,Messi,Ronaldo,Iniesta,RVP. Ya could be here all day namin players ya thought were world class.

Exactly my point, arguably the two best midfielders of the generation and probably two of the best we'll ever see and you put it against Fletcher that he didn't get in the team but Evra did.

So I'll ask you again for the third time, you seem quick to dismiss other opinions yet slow to share your own, how do you determine world class?

You're seriously saying to me that there isn't 20 world class midfielders in the world today?

But you are the one who first mentioned Evra?

And slow to share my own? I did say what determined world class for me. The best of the best.

Heres an example. Name a world class left back, who is the best left back in the world? Is it Cole? Is it Lahm? Is it Evra? Alba?
    I bet if you had to pick the best left back it would be one of them, or maybe one other I have forgotten. But, importantly, it won't be anybody outside that group. If you were to name Baines for example, most reasonable people would immediately say, "No, Cole and Lahm are better".

If you can make a case for being the best in your position in the world, then you are world class. If you can unambiguously say that a player is not near the best in the world, then he is not world class.

Go back to 2009. Was there a better left back in the world than Patrice Evra? No there wasn't, so he was world class. Was there a better midfielder in the world than Darren Fletcher? Yes there was, lots of them. Hell, he wasn't even the best at the club never mind in the world.

Heres an example. Name a world class left back, who is the best left back in the world? Is it Cole? Is it Lahm? Is it Evra? Alba?
    I bet if you had to pick the best left back it would be one of them, or maybe one other I have forgotten. But, importantly, it won't be anybody outside that group. If you were to name Baines for example, most reasonable people would immediately say, "No, Cole and Lahm are better".

Marcelo, Alves?

So let me get this straight. Baines isn't world class because Lahm is better, and Lahm is better than Alba, so Lahm is world class an Alba is not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If your definition of world class includes Fletcher at any stage in his career it becomes a pretty much meaningless phrase, not that it isn't close to one anyway.

Fletcher at his best was the very definition of a journeyman midfielder. Honest, hard-working, fairly effective but obviously limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

keane2097 wrote: »
    If your definition of world class includes Fletcher at any stage in his career it becomes a pretty much meaningless phrase, not that it isn't close to one anyway.

Fletcher at his best was the very definition of a journeyman midfielder. Honest, hard-working, fairly effective but obviously limited.
    Ah here. Don't be using ambiguous words in your response to an ambiguous phrase :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Workmanlike is the phrase I'd use for Fletcher, seeing as he's been at one club for his entire career.

• Advertisement

Workmanlike is the phrase I'd use for Fletcher, seeing as he's been at one club for his entire career.

Another ambiguous phrase really, that implies he doesn't inspire his teammates which isn't true, great captain for Scotland.

Anyway just 9 and a bit hours and all of the rabble of the last few weeks will be gone, so long international week. I hope we play good team football and Moyes plays Kagawa, Nani and Zaha at some stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement