Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Fellaini is a very good player but Moyes is a disaster appointment in my book. While I'm sure this transfer window wasn't completely his fault, it wouldn't have happened on Fergie's watch or on the watch of someone more suited to the job.

I was gobsmacked when United appointed him. I remain so.

What about the Ronaldinho fiasco with Peter Kenyon and the money wasted on Veron? All happened under Fergie's watch

Moyes needs to be given a chance and shouldn't be judged on what was left to him. While not willing to give him 6 years, I'd be happy to judge him come the end of the 2014/15 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am fully behind Moyes and i think he will be a success. The performance against Liverpool was not as bad as people made out. It's actually the first time in years at Anfield i remember being probably the best side. We just lacked some decent service and with Nani and Rafael coming back that will help big time and hopefully Kagawa. In recent years Liverpool have dominated the midfield against us and we have been lucky against them. Fergie for years gave Liverpool far too much respect.

My biggest concern is Moyes has began doing things i thought Fergie was doing wrong in recent years.

-Playing Giggs in big games when we have better options.

-Not being able to fit in Kagawa. I know he had little pre season but if he was fit against Liverpool him not being on the bench is worrying.

-Also trying to fit Jones into the team instead of playing him at cb. This may be harsh and we will find out more when Rafael is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'll judge Moyes on the pitch, thats where he lives or dies.

Yep fair point. Ultimately, if he kept the same team for 5 years and won the league every year, he's done a fantastic job. It's a results business.

Personally, I think he'll fall short on that score though and the United's limpness in the transfer window is symptomatic of how poor a choice Moyes is. That said, far to early to pass any sort of judgement on him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Remi Moses had the last decent afro at United if I remember right. Can't think of any decent shouts in between. My memories of Moses are sketchy but he wasn't as good as first hoped.

article-1113443-01D1FA400000044D-351_224x425.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

no bulls*it, no hyperbole or excuses, just a simple honest answer will do please.

No offense but are you, of all people asking me for no hyperbole? Next time one of your mates spots Ronaldo in Manchester tell them I'll buy them a packet of gum and show them how to chew it :). I hate twitter, hype and over the top rumouritis...not my bag.

To answer your question I'm not happy. It is a joke. I agree with all it was not handled well. Bebe was an absolute farce of a deal but he's been treated like the frigging mascot of the club and bit of a laugh.

It may genuinely be the case (and I may be naive in saying this) but Moyes and co were unlucky in such deals as Cesc, Thiago, DiRossi and possibly others that we weren't made aware of.

At the end of the day we've signed a quality midfielder in the dying moments. One that can play DM, attack threat, starter for an exciting and up and coming international team, is known by the manager very well and is more than proven in the premier league. He destroyed us last season in OT.

Sure our antics were less to be desired and questions will need to answered to some degree... but we've improved the squad in a position we haven't managed to do since 2007/2008, and this 4m increase isn't the end of the world that people are making it out to be. We've spent it on worse as you all well know!

EDIT: my reply was to the below btw
    Someone should be sacked over the Fellaini dealings, what other business would tolerate paying £4.5 million more for something than they needed to. Highlights how incompetent those responsible for transfer dealing at OT are. You can argue that he wasn't the number 1 target but that's another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Trilla wrote: »
    Should someone have been sacked for paying 7 or 8m on a player we didn't watch play? Homeless world cup star player or whatever it was was good enough sure.

Gill perhaps?
    Phelan wasn't liked by all those knowledgeable football geniuses armed with keyboards and barstools... maybe him?
    Hey why not Fergie?

So you think it's acceptable ?

DerryRed wrote: »
    What about the Ronaldinho fiasco with Peter Kenyon and the money wasted on Veron? All happened under Fergie's watch

Moyes needs to be given a chance and shouldn't be judged on what was left to him. While not willing to give him 6 years, I'd be happy to judge him come the end of the 2014/15 season.

As a non-United fan, I'm not familiar with what happened with Ronaldinho if I'm honest. As for Veron, while it was a tremendous waste of money, at least Fergie was able to attract a player of his reputation. That Moyes couldn't do that doesn't bode well in my book.

But like I say, it's a results business and that's how Moyes will be judged. I'd like him to do well, he seems a decent sort, but I really can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A decent transfer window for United all things considered.

Positives:
    1. Held onto Rooney.
    2. Held onto Nani.
    3. Held on to other key players.
    4. Managed to sign a quality CM who can play a number of roles, has a proven track record in the PL, with this manager, and I am sure he will improve in a major way with United AND be a key player.
    5. The squad isn't that much changed from last year, which in my opinion is a key positive when it comes to United especially with a new manager at the helm.

Negatives:
    1. In general its hard to know exactly what was true and what was media stirring all summer however it is obvious that there were mistakes made on some potential deals HOWEVER it is a learning curve for all involved. One can only hope that plenty lessons were learned and that come Jan/next summer the club will be in. a.) a better position to know who should be on the transfer list out and b.) have better knowledge of what is required, who is available and how to actually get a deal done.
    2. There are still a few players there that might be surplus to requirements - however I can see why Moyes may want to give them all a chance under him to prove themselves. This is a good thing in my opinion.

Fan get overexcited when they see other clubs splashing the cash on multiple players and ultimately we have no idea what does actually go on behind closed doors.

Bearing the completely new environment United are in, I think it was key to hold onto the group of players that won the league and not change things too much this time round.

Yep fair point. Ultimately, if he kept the same team for 5 years and won the league every year, he's done a fantastic job. It's a results business.

Personally, I think he'll fall short on that score though and the United's limpness in the transfer window is symptomatic of how poor a choice Moyes is. That said, far to early to pass any sort of judgement on him yet.

How exactly are you blaming Moyes for this shambles of a summer. He identified the weakness Fergie ignored for years and brought somebody in. Was Fellaini his first choice no i don't think so but he is one of the top cm players in the league. He showed a good bit of ambition identifying Fabregas something Fergie didn't do and it didn't work out. Do i blame Moyes for this no i don't i think Woodword made a mess of the summer.

The fact of the matter is i think the board screwed Moyes and have heaped pressure on him. The fact some people can be clueless and will blame Moyes for the summer dealing's puts him under pressure.

So you think it's acceptable ?

I'm not overally happy with it, 4m more but let me ask you...

Who should be sacked?
    What do you think the reason was for it? Why do you think we ended up paying 4 or 5m more than we could of?
    How many times could you have said this over the years at Old Trafford?

Two wrongs don't make a right, correct... but how has the club dealt with mistakes in the past? Knee jerk reactions and sackings???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

As a non-United fan, I'm not familiar with what happened with Ronaldinho if I'm honest. As for Veron, while it was a tremendous waste of money, at least Fergie was able to attract a player of his reputation. That Moyes couldn't do that doesn't bode well in my book.

But like I say, it's a results business and that's how Moyes will be judged. I'd like him to do well, he seems a decent sort, but I really can't see it.
    That's a lot of rubbish to be kind to you. Rijkaard, Guardiola, Vilanova, Martino. Absolute nobodies in managerial terms when they took over at Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

or ill put it another way, simple yes or no question...do you think Woodward should be sacked by the club?

no bulls*it, no hyperbole or excuses, just a simple honest answer will do please.

No he shouldn't be sacked.

If not signing players was a reason to be sacked Gill would have walked to. The Bebe deal, just look at that, both Fergie and Gill were involved.

Impatient fans have been throwing their toys out of the pram all window.

Do I think Woody is perfect? No. Do I think he could have done better this window? Of course.

Do I remember Fergies final words about this being a great club? Yes. Will I support the Club the same under our new staff as I did Gill and Fergie? Yes.

Do I want to see us turn into a City or Chelsea with a merry go round of staff and managers due to fickle fans, because if Woody takes the fall for this the next person in line for the chop if we have a another bad transfer window or bad results is Moyes and you can be sure them same impatient and frustrated people will be calling for Moyes head next, and then we end up with no stability, something which has worked for us and set us apart all these years. No, I sure as hell don't want that.

One transfer window and three matches in and people want change already. Its a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Now that we have two defensive midfielders who can anchor the team, Moyes needs to play Kagawa, it's as simple as that really. It's really a joke if he doesn't

Carrick Fellaini
    Nani Rooney Kagawa
    RVP

Less defensive responsibilities for Nani and Kagawa because of Fellaini and Carrick sitting in front of the back four, that team could play some fluid attacking team football which I haven't seen at United in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Veron was a classic case of a player we didn't need (we had a great midfield at the time) and he wasn't suited to the Premier League (hindsight is a great thing, so I'll not push that one too hard).

Also it's not all about attracting star names. It's about having a balanced squad where modern day egos can be effectively managed. Too many star players can sometimes be as bad as too few.

No he shouldn't be sacked.

If not signing players was a reason to be sacked Gill would have walked to. The Bebe deal, just look at that, both Fergie and Gill were involved.

Impatient fans have been throwing their toys out of the pram all window.

Do I think Woody is perfect? No. Do I think he could have done better this window? Of course.

Do I remember Fergies final words about this being a great club? Yes. Will I support the Club the same under our new staff as I did Gill and Fergie? Yes.

Do I want to see us turn into a City or Chelsea with a merry go round of staff and managers due to fickle fans, because if Woody takes the fall for this the next person in line for the chop if we have a another bad transfer window or bad results is Moyes and you can be sure them same impatient and frustrated people will be calling for Moyes head next, and then we end up with no stability, something which has worked for us and set us apart all these years. No, I sure as hell don't want that.

One transfer window and three matches in and people want change already. Its a joke.

^ Sense.

Thank you.

Almost exactly what I said.

Not the nicest of TD days and questions should be asked but still the reaction is unbelievable from some!

Role on Palace game.

Anyone think we'll ever start Fellani, Rooney, Kagawa and RVP in the same side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Has Afroman gotten a squad number yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    De Gea

Rafael Rio Vidic Evra

Carrick Fellaini

Nani Rooney Kagawa

RVP

That's a fantastic first 11, full of very good and world class players. Fellaini adds a lot to our first team and at least he improves significantly over Cleverley/Anderson. At least we have someone in the middle who can win physical battles and also has skills on the ball.

Valencia, Hernandez, Welbeck, Cleverley, Anderson, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Fabio, Zaha, Young, Buttner as options. That's a fantastic team.

Our second team would be.
    Lindegaard

Jones/Fabio Evans Smalling Fabio/Buttner

Cleverley Anderson

Valencia Welbeck Young

Hernandez

Giggs and Zaha beind third choices. Very good squad and we have improved our first 11. Could have delt this transfer window lot better, but at least it's better than not addressing the weak link for one more year.

Like few said, keeping Rooney, Nani was a huge positive news when whole summer it looks for sure they will be off.

I agree completely with perhaps zaha getting his chance to break into it , the big concern is if moyes feels the same which I don't think he does , I think Valencia should played as back up to Rafael as full , he's been found out as a right winger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I think its obviously a **** window but calling for Woodward's head is equally stupid. Give the man two summer windows at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I feel sorry for Ander Herrera in all this. That guy now is stuck at Bilbao after doing everything he could to push through a move. If reports are correct.

I'll be keeping an eye on him now for January cause he wont be cup tied in Europe I assume so it might still be an option.

Although I can see another bid for Fabregas in January or Next summer also. But with Arsenal maybe finally willing to spend I reckon he'll end up back there now. The game has changed at Arsenal, they have finally joined the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How exactly are you blaming Moyes for this shambles of a summer. He identified the weakness Fergie ignored for years and brought somebody in. Was Fellaini his first choice no i don't think so but he is one of the top cm players in the league. He showed a good bit of ambition identifying Fabregas something Fergie didn't do and it didn't work out. Do i blame Moyes for this no i don't i think Woodword made a mess of the summer.

The fact of the matter is i think the board screwed Moyes and have heaped pressure on him. The fact some people can be clueless and will blame Moyes for the summer dealing's puts him under pressure.
    I think some of the blame has to go Moyes' way - at best he didn't push Woodward to act quicker in transfer dealings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Makes me smile when people still say he can be dodgy and needs to improve. The start of this season showed how important he was last season. We have had no creativity down the right so far this season. The first few games for me highlighted how poor Valencia has been last season. People talking about Young need to take a closer look at Valencia he offers little to nothing going forward and he should be nowhere near the starting team.

It's a shame that our wingers are so poor right now - especially since so much of our success and style over the years was from great wide players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Who should be sacked?
    What do you think the reason was for it? Why do you think we ended up paying 4 or 5m more than we could of?
    How many times could you have said this over the years at Old Trafford?

Two wrongs don't make a right, correct... but how has the club dealt with mistakes in the past? Knee jerk reactions and sackings???
    Woodward.
    We were trying to be clever and get him for below the release clause fee.
    We paid more cause it was a kind of stupid plan to being with.
    Not sure how many times United have paid over a release fee clause (where it is a black/white issue, unlike Spain), 8 weeks later than we needed to, with 30 seconds left in the window. I'm guessing not many times at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think some of the blame has to go Moyes' way - at best he didn't push Woodward to act quicker in transfer dealings.

I really don't think any of us are in a position to make a judgement on this front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Look it wasn't the best transfer window but im sure they learned allot of lessons and that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

See the word on the street re Herrera is Moyes wanted to pay less than the buy out clause & that's the real reason deal fell thru.
    If this is true then it makes it more shocking that Moyes paid £27.5m for Fellaini when he could have got him for 23.5m a few weeks ago re his buy out clause.
    Seems to me Moyes is out of his depth as he only had plan A re Fab & Fellaini and was dithering all the way up to the close of the transfer window.
    For me this does not inspire confidence for this season:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

sky summary of the herrara f*ck up just now and the window in detail -

United didnt meet valuation and wanted to negotiate.
    No tax issues - United just didnt pay the money wanted.
    United baffled by reports of employees in Spain.
    Herrara wanted to come and tried to force the move.
    Not sure who they were or why they were at the Spanish league
    United disappointed not to do the deal.
    United got fingers burned in this window when it came to dealing with the big buys.
    United looked amateurish all summer.
    Fellani had to forgo a loyalty bonus and we paid £4million extra for him.

That's a lot of rubbish to be kind to you. Rijkaard, Guardiola, Vilanova, Martino. Absolute nobodies in managerial terms when they took over at Barcelona.

Yep they were. Is your point that a 'nobody' can be a success?

DerryRed wrote: »
    Veron was a classic case of a player we didn't need (we had a great midfield at the time) and he wasn't suited to the Premier League (hindsight is a great thing, so I'll not push that one too hard).

Also it's not all about attracting star names. It's about having a balanced squad where modern day egos can be effectively managed. Too many star players can sometimes be as bad as too few.

Maybe and my point is not around the merits of the Veron signing. It's that Fergie could attract that sort of player.

It isn't about star names but is Fellaini the type of player United needed most? I know it's becoming cliche already but wouldn't a player like Ozil have been a better fit?

Woodward.
    Others on here seem to disagree... though opinions are opinions so I respect it...even though I find it a ferociously kneejerked reaction.
    We were trying to be clever and get him for below the release clause fee.
    We paid more cause it was a kind of stupid plan to being with.
    Both points you make there are very vague if you don't mind me saying. "kind of a stupid plan to begin with". Just interested to know what you mean here?
    Not sure how many times United have paid over a release fee clause (where it is a black/white issue, unlike Spain), 8 weeks later than we needed to, with 30 seconds left in the window. I'm guessing not many times at all.

I'm sure there was more variables to this. Bare in mind Everton were involved with transfer too, maybe even their dealings with other clubs. What would you proposed we have done yesterday or even the last week or so in relation to the Fellaini deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I get bored reading comments and judgements based on nothing but speculation. Most of you know nothing about Woodward and also nothing about how each individual "deal" went down.

This is why it would be nice to get some facts from old Trafford. But in this day age, when it is important to save face in front of rivals, I think Man Utd are more willing to let people speculate than to tell them the truth. And that worries me.

The match against Liverpool annoyed be because I believe we are a superior team but instead we made them look the better side. The first half was painful to watch. At one point can Persie got the ball on the left and I could hear every man Utd fan say at once..."now who are you going to give it to? There's no one in the box!) the set up was negative and un-united like. Except for when we went to anfield and when we played man city at Maine road on the Monday night a couple of seasons ago. Man Utd are not a team who should ever fear defeat in the premier league. Negative football makes us look embarrassingly unorganised.

I will give moyes some time before I make a final judgement but a number of things have to happen...Giggs needs to take a step back now. Kagawa needs to be called in, and prove to us all that he can boss a midfield in England. But most of all, moyes needs to step out from behind ferguson's shadow

Bannerman7 wrote: »
    See the word on the street re Herrera is Moyes wanted to pay less than the buy out clause & that's the real reason deal fell thru.
    If this is true then it makes it more shocking that Moyes paid £27.5m for Fellaini when he could have got him for 23.5m a few weeks ago re his buy out clause.
    Seems to me Moyes is out of his depth as he only had plan A re Fab & Fellaini and was dithering all the way up to the close of the transfer window.
    For me this does not inspire confidence for this season:confused:

Do you mean Moyes done this or the people he sent to sign the player? Also can you give a link to where you read this and also a link confirming 23.5 was his buyout clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yep they were. Is your point that a 'nobody' can be a success?
    No, my point is that the Barcelona name is enough to attract players. You seem to think that Moyes won't be able to attract the bigger names yea?

United didnt meet valuation and wanted to negotiate.
    No tax issues - United just didnt pay the money wanted.
    United baffled by reports of employees in Spain.

One thing that baffles me is why didn't United get someone to release some sort of statement earlier? Surely they didn't need to wait until today to state they were baffled, or did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

One thing that baffles me is why didn't United get someone to release some sort of statement earlier? Surely they didn't need to wait until today to state they were baffled, or did they?

Maybe preoccupied with Fellaini deal.

Others on here seem to disagree.

you seem to think that a few posters who happen to agree with you, means that nobody apart from mitch wants him sacked?

id say right now from what i read, 80%+ have no faith in Woodward. we all cant be wrong and not knee jerking or part time fans like you and the comical ali brigade seem to want to think.

and i find it ironic that your calling it kneejerking, but you are bit*ching like a little woman all summer about the condemnation of poor little Woodie.

make your bloody mind up.

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    Maybe preoccupied with Fellaini deal.

Yep very true... I'm sure they could have spared 10 minutes or got someone else on it?

Maybe and my point is not around the merits of the Veron signing. It's that Fergie could attract that sort of player.

It isn't about star names but is Fellaini the type of player United needed most? I know it's becoming cliche already but wouldn't a player like Ozil have been a better fit?

Besides Veron who you keep talking about name the world class players Fergie attracted please.

and i find it ironic that your calling it kneejerking, but you are bit*ching like a little woman all summer about the condemnation of poor little Woodie.

make your bloody mind up.

Why am I a part time fan? Please explain this to me.
    I have not gone all summer bítching.
    I don't think 80% of people want Woodward fired, from "what I read" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Who should be sacked? Whoever decided not stumping up the release clause when it was obvious all summer he was a target.
    What do you think the reason was for it? I think he wasn't No.1 target Why do you think we ended up paying 4 or 5m more than we could of? Because they couldn't either decide who was their priority target or just couldn't get him whoever he was signed
    How many times could you have said this over the years at Old Trafford? Quite a few times

I'm happy with Fellaini but it's just stupidity paying more than we needed to and yes, Bebe was just the strangest transfer ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We should be lot more of a threat now from set pieces now that we have Fellaini.

• Advertisement

I'm happy with Fellaini but it's just stupidity paying more than we needed to and yes, Bebe was just the strangest transfer ever.

Cheers mate for the polite reply!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-herrera-imposters-lawyers-091835595.html

Seems Utd didn't want to give these bilbao lawyers 36m. Fierce dodgy getting people from outside the club to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

We should be lot more of a threat now from set pieces now that we have Fellaini.

Yeah, with Van Persie whipping them in and Fellaini and Vidic in the box we are bound to cause a few problems in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

For the record I don't think Gill was all that great either. Kenyon showed how poor he was with the Ronaldinho deal. Woodward has to be given time. He spearheaded a lot of these bizarre commercial deals we have. He obviously needs time.

We don't know what went on. Fabregas probably led us up the garden path. Missing out on Herrera at that much money was a good thing IMO. The club is in a huge transitional period. Moyes and Woodward are both moving into new positions. Moyes has to try and attract a new calibre of player and Woodward has to negotiate with other chairmen. We know that we showed interest in Baines, Herrera, Fabregas, Coentrao and Fellaini. We didn't want to overpay for Baines and Herrera which is fair enough. Sid Lowe said that he thinks Darren Dein was trying to secure positional promises from Barcelona re:Fabregas and that he was basically using us. Coentrao was obviously far too rushed but you'd have to imagine that it was linked to Baines not signing. Fellaini should of been done when the clause was there. But we have no verification of what this number was an perhaps it was a figure that we weren't willing to pay. Obviously after the clause had expired it depended on Everton getting James McCarthy.

Let's be honest here lads; Fergie and Gill left us high and dry this Summer. It's been a huge mistake to have such a huge transition in such a short space of time. Both of the departing figures have a responsibility for leaving the squad in a state where a lot of us excepted that without van Persie we wouldn't have won the title last year. Of course they brought in van Persie but the supporting cast and particularly the centre midfield has blown up to the boiling point this summer where we had to act. IF the club had been properly prepared we could have sounded out and identified targets months ago. Instead we have been left with two fresh-faced men responsible correcting a huge mistake that wasn't remedied by either David Gill or Alex Ferguson. Why it has taken until the 2nd of September to buy a centre midfielder is astonishing. But the blame can be apportioned more heavily on David Gill and Fergie for that IMO. The reason we spent the whole summer pining like schoolgirls for a centre midfielder was because Fergie has ignored it for the last several years.

Let's get on with it now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Someone start a pole in a new thread and see what the results are for Woodward to be sacked. I can't imagine it being anything other than a landslide. But rival fans will vote for him to stay.

I think Ed Woodward has continued a long standing tradition of transfer window failures but has brought it to new levels of embarassment. He is the man in charge and he is where the buck stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Let's get on with it now tbh.

good post.

Don't agree with everything, but you make lot of sense.

Besides Veron who you keep talking about name the world class players Fergie attracted please.

Mark Hughes, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, Denis Irwin, Dimtar Berbatov, Michael Carrick, Ruud van Nistlerooy, Peter Schmeichel, Edwin van der Saar, Robin van Persie, Carlos Tevez, Owen Hargreaves, Patrice Evra, Nemanja Vidic, Wayne Rooney, Gabriel Heinze, Cristiano Ronaldo, Rio Ferdinand, Dwight Yorke, Teddy Sheringham, Andy Cole.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-herrera-imposters-lawyers-091835595.html

Seems Utd didn't want to give these bilbao lawyers 36m. Fierce dodgy getting people from outside the club to do that.

well i think the real problem first and foremost is that we didnt actually give them any more and were not willing to do that, as we didnt want to pay it.

if Moyes like Herrara so much, why not bid for him 3 or 4 weeks ago, to allow sufficient time to "negotiate" and if they didnt want to do this, find a replacement.

smacks of desperation to me and we didnt prepare the bid properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Cant wait till we win our next three games. Fellaini netting a hattrick in each one. Then normal service will resume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Fellaini will wear #31

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement