Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Hmmmm....

Anyone think Moyes just doesnt see him in his plans?
    Or is it too early to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Hmmmm....

I'm findin this does Moyes not see Kagawa in his plans talk ridiculous. He hasn't played for various reasons. Of course he's in his plans. Kagawa is quality and Moyes isn't stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Hmmmm....

I think he definitely is in his plans, Moyesie knows class when he sees it I'm sure, and Kagawa's class is apparent. Shinji was just a bit unfortunate in terms of his pre-season and all of these early season internationals he simply has to involved in, him being Japan's best player.

He had the Confederations Cup to contend with, then he came into our preseason tour a bit late and looked very fatigued, didn't play much of it afterwards and picked up an slight injury keeping him out of the last few preseason games, then having to go back on a couple of bouts of international breaks, the most recent of which finished Tuesday/Wednesday, and getting the flu just on his return.

That stuff is all well and good for European and continental America football players, but when home is ~10,000km away I'm sure it's quite difficult to get back into the swing of things. Give him a bit of time I'd say, he'll turn out to be massive for United this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thoughts on today:

- Defense was great, Evra was very lively going forward
    - Not for the first time, something seems to be wrong with RVP, he just doesn't seem to be at his best in my opinion. Still could have had two goals though.
    - Rooney was poor
    - Valencia was ****ing useless as usual. How this guy continues to play astounds me.
    - Anderson? LOL.
    - Really liked Felliani during his time on the field, got more touches than Anderson did in the first 60mins and even offered an attacking threat. Looking forward to seeing more of him
    - Young is a strange one. A cheating ****, but he also offered more attackwise than anybody else on the field. Still a poor mans Nani though. And a cheating ****.
    - Januzaj did well, nice to see young players not afraid to attack their man. Can't see him playing too much though. And if he does, he will be taking Zaha's spots, I wonder what he thinks right now?

Finally, I'm still not sold on Moyes. Somebody said it in the match thread, I still havent liked a single one of his line-ups. And we got the win, but it was anther turgid game. We need to improve big style.

Id say Kagawa SHOULD be in Moyes plans and i agree that its been unfortunate with the internationals and pre season etc...

But why he didnt feature even from the bench against pool would concern ne.

Really liked Felliani during his time on the field, got more touches than Anderson did in the first 60mins and even offered an attacking threat. Looking forward to seeing more of him

Fellaini looked comfortable on the ball whereas Anderson looked like he was rushin it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Id say Kagawa SHOULD be in Moyes plans and i agree that its been unfortunate with the internationals and pre season etc...

But why he didnt feature even from the bench against pool would concern ne.

Because Moyes had a choice between Nani and Kagawa for a space on the bench, he chose Nani probably because he's much more of an impact player than Kagawa.

Elro wrote: »
    Because Moyes had a choice between Nani and Kagawa for a space on the bench, he chose Nani probably because he's much more of an impact player than Kagawa.

Could he not have both?

Did Rooney celebrate the goals?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    He did, AFAIR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nailz wrote: »
    He did, AFAIR.

Few weeks when he has a few more goals under his belt, people wont even remember he tried to orchestrate a move away from Old Trafford.

He slid down the pitch on his knees,ripped off his headband and flung it at Fergie in the stand revealin a tattoo on his head sayin Scotland is a rubbish country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He blew a few kisses to the crowd and looked genuinely happy.also all the players jojned him.
    In a few weeks no one will be questioning him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Thoughts on today:

- Defense was great, Evra was very lively going forward
    - Not for the first time, something seems to be wrong with RVP, he just doesn't seem to be at his best in my opinion. Still could have had two goals though.
    - Rooney was poor
    - Valencia was ****ing useless as usual. How this guy continues to play astounds me.
    - Anderson? LOL.
    - Really liked Felliani during his time on the field, got more touches than Anderson did in the first 60mins and even offered an attacking threat. Looking forward to seeing more of him
    - Young is a strange one. A cheating ****, but he also offered more attackwise than anybody else on the field. Still a poor mans Nani though. And a cheating ****.
    - Januzaj did well, nice to see young players not afraid to attack their man. Can't see him playing too much though. And if he does, he will be taking Zaha's spots, I wonder what he thinks right now?

Finally, I'm still not sold on Moyes. Somebody said it in the match thread, I still havent liked a single one of his line-ups. And we got the win, but it was anther turgid game. We need to improve big style.

Seen this on the match thread aswell, and don't understand it at all. I thought he was very good today, involved in everything good we did. Even if he was crap generally (he wasn't imo), doesn't we usually use end product to defend Nani? Well Rooney provided one of the passes of the season to set RVP up 1 on 1, and scored a cracking free kick. That alone is enough to justify a good performance.

Strange to see young criticised too. His simulation early on was very frustrating, but his quick rections and pace basically won us the game. Thought he was a threat throughout, with some excellent through balls to Evra on a couple of occasions

TheDoc wrote: »
    Few weeks when he has a few more goals under his belt, people wont even remember he tried to orchestrate a move away from Old Trafford.
    Happened the last time. It'll probably be for the best in terms of keeping Rooney on the straight and narrow, nothing worse than playing for a crowd with a chip on their shoulder. In fairness, the United fans each and every time he has played since have been nothing but encouraging. Can never like him as a man though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ill be surprise if Moyes doesnt go for Barkley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

He did. He ran over to Van Persie and congratulated him for the first.

For his own, all of the team, bar De Gea, came over and they all had a group hug. Rooney then blew a few appreciative kisses to the crowd. It was very sweet :p.

Someone near me said that Moyes made a big statement by leaving Rooney on and taking RvP off. I'm not fully sure but it could be read like that.

EDIT: Fergie was at the match, in the directors box. I didn't get a chance to look around when Rooney scored. I wonder what his reaction was like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

good to see Albert Morgan at the game today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Could he not have both?

He could have but I'd say he didn't want to sacrifice the defensive options on the bench for another attacking one. Of course it's all just speculation on my part it just seems to me to be a far more likely explanation than him not having Kagawa in his plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hahaha, Moyes you smooth criminal.

Interviewer: "Blah blah blah, champions league coming up, blah blah, do you think today's victory will help sort of settle everyone down around here?"

Moyes: "Well I'm settled."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

yabadabado wrote: »
    He blew a few kisses to the crowd and looked genuinely happy.also all the players jojned him.
    In a few weeks no one will be questioning him.

Yeah he seems to have moved on from wanting away.

He blows the kisses to his family afaik. He does it regularly enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Headshot wrote: »
    ill be surprise if Moyes doesnt go for Barkley

Very impressed with him tonight. Its one thing being good against Norwich quite another doing it against Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

COME ON EVERTON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Barkley is so good, similar to Wilshere but with more explosive runs forward

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

People still afraid of City and Chelsea? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Yup. One weekend doesn't change anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Barkley is so good, similar to Wilshere but with more explosive runs forward

He is going to be a beast. I hope we get him when he eventually moves on.

double GG wrote: »
    Yup. One weekend doesn't change anything.

Honestly not basing it on one weekend. City have looked lifeless 4 games in a row, and Chelsea seem to play negatively to a fault. Today was just more examples of their weaknesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What a beautiful day

We might be slightly annoyed with the start to the season, but it's actually been a very good start as far as out title credentials go. We're in the same position as Chelsea, only they've won two easy games at home, while we had one 'easy' home win and a tough away. Their loss today is the equavilant of our game at Liverpool. And City's start has been much worse. Same points total but they've had a much easier start. Can't complain with where we are now at all, it's been a good day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Honestly not basing it on one weekend. City have looked lifeless 4 games in a row, and Chelsea seem to play negatively to a fault. Today was just more examples of their weaknesses.

I suppose, but United have looked a little lethargic too. They'll still be a huge contenders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

And we look like what exactly?

But it's up to them to show they've closed the massive gap from last season, which they haven't shown at all. We've had a tough start and teething problems, but we're still in as good a position as either. City do look lifeless, while today and the game at OT was proof that we really shouldn't be too afraid of Chelsea. The names Mata-Hazard-Oscar roll of the tongue so easy that people forget the obvious deficiencies at centre-half, centre midfield and up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    We might be slightly annoyed with the start to the season, but it's actually been a very good start as far as out title credentials go. We're in the same position as Chelsea, only they've won two easy games at home, while we had one 'easy' home win and a tough away. Their loss today is the equavilant of our game at Liverpool. And City's start has been much worse. Same points total but they've had a much easier start. Can't complain with where we are now at all, it's been a good day

Yep. I feared that City could have been about 5 points clear before the game at the Etihad which would have put a lot of pressure on.

Great day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

If we were holding onto a 1 nil lead with fergie in charge he wouldn't of brought on Januzaj. Encouraging deciaions by Moyes today. Anderson falling over the ball before being subbed lol.

Personally, I feel we've played a bit negatively in the two games against Chelsea and Palace, but with the exception of the Liverpool game, I've been very happy with results and performances so far. Even then, Pool always up their game against us, and the biggest problem we had in that game (our midfield) has been addressed.

On the other hand, Chelsea didn't improve their team all that much over the summer; Eto'o is not the answers to their problems, and their defense is prone to mistakes. They were lucky to get away with a win against Villa, and Hull was an easy match. And they never looked dangerous against us. I'd agree they have done exactly what we have done in terms of results, but they certainly aren't the force that some people thought they'd be with Jose back.

Meanwhile, City should have had 12 from 12 points at this stage, but instead blew one of the easiest games of the year for them (Cardiff) and only got a draw against Stoke. They've yet to have a real test, yet are still looking unimpressive.

I know they'll up their game against us next week, and Moyes could play it "safe" again, but honestly, based on their opening 4 games and our opening 4 games, I'd be confident we could win the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

mewe wrote: »
    Fellaini looked comfortable on the ball whereas Anderson looked like he was rushin it all the time.
    I think in all Andersons time at club he looks like he is rushing it,he also puts too much pace on his passes,even 5 to 10 yard short passes which leave them harder to control than they need to be for his teammates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Different view to most on here, maybe due to being at the game but I really thought Rooney was rubbish. A lot of moves broke down with him, his touch was poor, he tried a few hollywood balls and he was lethargic off the ball. He did 2 really good things, the ball to RvP was fantastic and the free kick. Hmmmm I think the goal clouds peoples judgement, he was poor.
    Other than that Valencia was just so poor again, I've never rated the guy and how he continues at the club is just baffling. Fabio was good, he was caught out of position once but imo that was Rooney's and Rio's fault. Rooney lost the ball in cm while thinking he was Pirlo. Fabio was busting a gut to get back as he was forward expecting an attack and then Rio got caught under the ball. Lucky not to concede from it.
    Ashley Young was his usual cheating self. Haven't seen any of the replies but his 1st looked terrible from where I was. Should the penalty have been awarded? Also what about Evra's? Again from where I was it looked a penalty.
    Also how bad were Palace? Should have been a hammering, without doubt they will go down.

Valenica, anderson and A.Young can all go in January as far as i care.

No addition and Young is a cheating disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rooney's first touch in the first half was definitely not up to scratch. He'll take a few games to get in to his stride though. He can keep those free kicks coming however!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Meanwhile, City should have had 12 from 12 points at this stage, but instead blew one of the easiest games of the year for them (Cardiff) and only got a draw against Stoke. They've yet to have a real test, yet are still looking unimpressive.

I know they'll up their game against us next week, and Moyes could play it "safe" again, but honestly, based on their opening 4 games and our opening 4 games, I'd be confident we could win the match.

City will be a different team with Kompany back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have not read 1 post in here yet today, but just give quick take on what I thought.

Young is a disgrace!! Now people can say "oh well every footballer does it", but this guy is maybe the worst ever.

If he was a Chelsea/City player I hate his guts so I dont have a problem with other supporters thinking he is a cheat etc. He is a ****ing disgrace after today.

The performance itself was poor although we had great players and few moments of magic from individuals but nothing that was team wise great.

Fellaini I made a very telling difference when he came on. Now I aint getting carried away just yet but if this of things to come he be well worth the fee.

Great to see Moyes give a youngster a chance too. Well done Moyes on that.

TBH I aint too worried just hope we little bit sharper for next week. If we are we will get a result.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    City will be a different team with Kompany back....

Fingers crossed then he stays out for one more week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Thought we were ok today. Nothing great, but we got the win, which is good enough. Rooney looked good and it was great to see Fabio get a game at RB. Januzaj looked class when he came on too. Don't think Fellaini really got enough time but he was grand when he came on. Moyes needs to tell Young to fcuk off with the diving though. Disgraceful carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Didn't see any of the game today, was at the Ladies FAI Cup Final in Newbridge! What a game that was!!!

Looking forward to seeing Match of the Day tonight, nice to see both lads getting on the scoresheet and a clean sheet to boot!!.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Didn't see any of the game today, was at the Ladies FAI Cup Final in Newbridge! What a game that was!!!

166576_1697873280427_8291403_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Rooney's first touch in the first half was definitely not up to scratch. He'll take a few games to get in to his stride though.

That chip pass he gave to Van Persie was magical though.

Valencia is more frustrating live than when watching on television. There was an easy pass available to Januzaj but it would have involved him passing with his left. He turned back and gave a pass out to Rafael on the other side.

Another thing I noticed was that some of the players just couldn't hear each other on the pitch. Moyes was shouting something to Rio and Rio had to walk over to within 6 feet of him to hear it. Another time, Fabio couldn't hear what Rooney said.

I'm all for ore singing and chanting at the games but will players be able to hear anything bar the ref's whistle on the pitch with it :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone else think Valencia's time at the club is up?He was brutal last season and has gotten off to a terrible start.If he doesn't improve and have a good season I can see him being sold next summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The second Fellaini and Januzaj came on, we were a different team.

Fellaini allowed everyone to play their own game and get more forward.

Januzaj was fantastic. Incredibly confident and he was playing like he was always 2 moves ahead of the game.

#belgianrevolution

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'm not one for exaggerating but i'm certain Januzaj will be the best player in the Universe in a few years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement