Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ronaldo signs new deal at Real..... :(

i guess thats it then, he is not coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Anyone who blatantly dives a lá Young or Ronaldo (and they both do/did) gives opposition supporters ammunition to shout and roar and whinge!
    And to be honest they're right, if it was a player from another club who was doing it, I'd be fairly vocal about him too!

That said, I don't really have a problem with guys going to ground after 'slight' contact. I find myself thinking 'go down' when one of our players is impeded in a penalty area for example. And I find it hard to complain if a decision is given against us for the same reasons. tbh, players (at all levels) will use everything they can to find an advantage, and if that is manipulating contact in a particular situation, well so be it.

It's never simple, and there are so many degrees of contact, intent etc, that it's impossible to really patrol it effectively.

Fwiw, I think if Young doesn't throw his right leg into the air while making contact with his left, he may well have been awarded the pen. It doesn't look as dramatic if he just sort of falls over after the contact rather than going 4 foot in the air! Also there is his reputation for previous incidents.

TL;DR - I may sound hypocritical. Severe is wrong, subtle is ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wonder how long till someone posts wondering if he signed the deal cause he was unimpressed with Moyes :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Glad we don't have to deal with the Ronaldo issue again next summer,all done and let's move on..

On Ross Barkley,do we think Moyes will move for him next summer?He fits our policy of young talent but it will take decent money to get him.
    S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

dahat wrote: »
    On Ross Barkley,do we think Moyes will move for him next summer?He fits our policy of young talent but it will take decent money to get him.
    S
    I think this summer was the time to do it,he will go for serious money now if he keeps up the form he has shown so far.

Wonder how long till someone posts wondering if he signed the deal cause he was unimpressed with Moyes :rolleyes::pac:

honest question here, do you think the stories about Ronaldo wanting to come back, were totally untrue?

leave Moyes out of this by they way, its nothing to do with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

honest question here, do you think the stories about Ronaldo wanting to come back, were totally untrue?

Impossible to know really - It's not completely unbelievable that ROnaldo was manipulating the situation to get a better or quicker deal from Madrid though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

There was truth in it but it was always a long shot. i think with mourinho gone the players as a whole dont seem as unhappy

It also helps his contract is £290K after tax which is insane

if real werent threatened do you think they would be having a wwe style contract signing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

It's certainly no coincidence that there was whispers when he was negotiating for a new contract at Real.

The talk was greatly exaggerated. I'd be surprised by anyone who actually thought we were going to sign him.

• Advertisement

Pj! wrote: »
    It's certainly no coincidence that there was whispers when he was negotiating for a new contract at Real.

there loads of ways to look at it. he could have just used United to get more money. likewise, theres also a chance he wanted to come back, but changed his mind once Fergie retired and hence why talks over his new contract went on for this long.

i guess there is only one person who knows for sure and that is Ronaldo. the rest is what you chose to believe.

personally, i always believed next summer he would come back and i dont see any reason why you would think that is a surprise that people believed this when it is clear the player still has the club in his heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Glad we don't have to deal with the Ronaldo issue again next summer,all done and let's move on..

S

Having watched him a few times recently I think he is fantastic. I think he can be the midfielder we all want. Tough, quick, skillful, scores goals. I think he'd be cheap at £20million.

personally, i always believed next summer he would come back and i dont see any reason why you would think that is a surprise that people believed this when it is clear the player still has the club in his heart.

I think it's far too innocent a way of looking at things to be honest.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Having watched him a few times recently I think he is fantastic. I think he can be the midfielder we all want. Tough, quick, skillful, scores goals. I think he'd be cheap at £20million.
    Everton will want £30+ for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

NTMK wrote: »
    It also helps his contract is £290K after tax which is insane
    Do the sums and he's making [after tax] around €2,090 AN HOUR! And that includes while he's fucking sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah we won't be bidding in January for this Barkley chap. New 4 year contract signed last year. Not sure if he is a cm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

kryogen wrote: »
    I actually don't need to link you to a run of games, absolutely everybody who watched him knows exactly what he was like when he arrived, I wouldn't waste my time arguing with someone who would deny it tbh

It is a stigma that has followed him his whole career because he was so bad at one point, for the last few seasons he very rarely dives, yet his name still gets brought up in relation to divers regularly. Thankfully he does seem to get less flak these days.

Heres a video to refresh your memory, there is a part two of it also

You do have to make it past some stupid writing now and then, but sure you will get the idea

Things like 1.48 are hilarious tbf, probably skip the first 30 seconds or so I think

Ha, just having another watch of this now since I put it up, the one v Lampard is brilliant and the Liverpool one too actually, the rolling around holding his face etc......

This, and there seems to be a huge amount of exaggeration with regards the amount of times Young dives. He does it a fair bit, but I wouldn't say much more than a lot of other players. I think he did it twice in a couple of weeks in matches in 2011/12 (QPR & Villa) and got a lot of stick for it from fans and the media alike, which has lead to him being put in the spotlight more than other players since.

I've seen rubbish being said like he 'dives every game' and he's the 'worst for diving in the league' but I can honestly say I don't recall the last time he dived prior to yesterday. Did he dive against Liverpool? Did he dive against Chelsea when he came on? What were the occasions where he blatantly dived last season? There probably are some in there, but I'd wager that there's not that many at all, or at least there's a lot less occasions than a lot seem to think. I think it's a case that his reputation precedes him at this stage as well as the fact people are frustrated with his stop/start time at United so far and just don't like him, and will jump on anything to slate him.

Young dives more than most and deserves criticism for it, but people are going way over the top. It's not balanced criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,658 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see Ronaldo signs a new contract, hopefully that puts an end to that nonsense Ronaldo to utd rumors

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Honestly don't know. As a fan, I want to believe they were true. More likely, I think he put himself into a win win situation; either he got a big new contract, or he got a massive money deal to United.

All we know for certain though is he signed a new contract with Real, and that's not the action of someone who desperately wants to come to United. I think he might come back some day but has obviously decided he is happy at Real for a few more years.

Just on the match yesterday, aint had a chance to read peoples opinions or watch the highlights, but its yet another case of job done, but poor performances all around.

Janz and Fellani looked impressive when they came on and thats the main positive. Valencia and Young are at this moment in time not up to playing for United and the quicker we get Kagawa and Nani into that team the better.

our creativity at the moment is really really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

S

Ah sure Ronaldo is only signing a new contract because he wants to be sold and made again the most expensive player ever...

United to launch a £120 million bid for Ronaldo next summer :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I see some saying Young was good yesterday, not sure if I agree.
    He was average at best I thought.

Subs that came on were good, Rooney a tad off sharpness, Fabio was okay...

I can't wait for Nani to get a few games under his belt.

Was Kawaga on the bench yesterday?
    When is Raf back?

Just on the match yesterday, aint had a chance to read peoples opinions or watch the highlights, but its yet another case of job done, but poor performances all around.

Janz and Fellani looked impressive when they came on and thats the main positive. Valencia and Young are at this moment in time not up to playing for United and the quicker we get Kagawa and Nani into that team the better.

So true.

Apart from supporting United, I also like to watch Real Madrid. Just compare Valencia and Young with Isco and di Maria.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Little and large,whatever about signing players in January Januzaj's new contract has to be sorted

557541_562634097117485_1681235757_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Agreed

Trilla wrote: »
    Bit harsh. I get the point you're making, in a smart arse way :) but to be fair theres better options right now than Young, and a lot of us are confused about the lack of action Kagawa and even Nani are getting.

Nani had a match in Boston in the early hours of Wednesday morning our time, so it was always unlikely he would be played v Crystal Palace.
    My issue is Zaha should have played.

Kagawa will be played a lot now things are geting quieter for him travel wise and once he is feeling better.

What is Adnan's best position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Valencia more so than Young. At least Young has some end product to his game at the moment.
    Valencia offers absolutely nothing going forward really. He seems to think he can cross the ball through the left back without making the bit of space first, so easy to defend against if you're willing to give up a few corners.

I'd have not only Nani but Zaha ahead of him all day long at this stage. I get that he offers a lot more defensively but the trade off in attack is not worth it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Valencia has offered nothing going forward for nearly a year now.

What's the point of having a right winger who's essentially an extra right back. His job is to try and create in every game or score himself, defending well should be a secondary plus, some wingers don't even defend they just cover when the opposition full back gets forward, which is the way it should be.

Some fans are still in his corner after that good season in the 11/12 season. He's a shadow of the player he was back then. I hope Nani is given a consistent run in the team because he will hit form and Valencia will have to either sort himself out or warm the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Trilla wrote: »
    I see some saying Young was good yesterday, not sure if I agree.
    He was average at best I thought.

He was average, but in the context of the game he offered more than any of Valencia, Anderson or even Rooney (who I thought was very subdued).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Interesting peice from statszone, written in 442

Man United 2-0 Crystal Palace The stats suggest a convincing and straightforward Manchester United victory - but this one was really all about a decisive two-minute spell on the stroke of half time. Just moments after Palace new boy Dwight Gayle did everything but find the net at one end, the plucky visitors found themselves a goal and man down after Kagisho Dikgaco hauled down Ashley Young inside the box. Of course, giving the champions that advantage meant curtains for Ian Holloway's men. Up to that point the south Londoners had held their own admirably. Indeed, as @CombinationPlay tweeted in at the break: "Carrick not as reliable as usual in the passing department, but interceptions impressive." The England man would treble his passing figures and make only one more interception in the entire second half as David Moyes' side took control.

carrick_1.jpg?itok=Nll5_28l

Yet again, however, a chunk of United's play was diverted wide with minimal success. Against Liverpool, Moyes' side completed just 6 of their attempted 32 crosses as they lost 1-0 at Anfield. Yet they showed no sign of a tweak in strategy against Palace, completing just 5 of their 41 crosses. Holloway's side, meanwhile, attempted (and completed) just 1. So far it's a game of percentages that the champions are losing.

utd-cross.jpg?itok=EsWpe_P8
    Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/saturday-analysis-what-stats-zone-taught-us-today-1#502cxwzWEQoDdhgu.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Really? Despite winning more penalties than anybody in Premiership history, has he ever been sent off for diving?

None of us like it because it's not nice to watch. It's very unlikely that he's suddenly going to start costing us points at this stage of his career though.

Yes really he could.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

RobertKK wrote: »
    Januzaj should tell his father he wants to play in the world cup - so join Belgium and their amazing team for a small country.

Ah here, maybe he doesn't want to play for Belgium, depending on how he was brought up he might not have a lot of affinity for it. It's not like we Irish should tell players who to play for eh??:pac:;)
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    I've been watching the boy progress since he was 2 years old in an U-3 tournament in southern Switzerland. He'll always be Belgian to me.

I sense you are jesting as I don't think he's played underage for any country....:D

Just pointing out something I found interesting that he doesn't seem to view himself as Belgian. And I can understand why.
    yabadabado wrote: »
    What is Adnan's best position?

I think he plays best behind the striker or from the left like yesterday but at the moment I don't think he's up to it defensively to be trusted for full matches.

Also this post is to say: Michael Carrick was superb yesterday. Highlight was the Zizu turn in the centre circle.

And this post is to say: Anderson, get your ****ing coat. You're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We served our purpose for Ronaldo, helped to get him more money. Because God knows he needs it with the pittance he's on at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

J. Marston wrote: »
    We served our purpose for Ronaldo, helped to get him more money. Because God knows he needs it with the pittance he's on at the moment.

Slaves never get paid well..............

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I just wanted to say, in addition to what lordgoat has written above, that I feel Cleverley and Anderson are not up to scratch. Cleverley was given his chance vs Liverpool, and even though the team as a whole were woeful that day, he was anonymous. Ditto Anderson yesterday, even in a team that was coasting, he offered nothing. Fellaini straight in and starting from now on please :)

Ditto Anderson yesterday, even in a team that was coasting, he offered nothing. Fellaini straight in and starting from now on please :)

This. I was actually shocked at how poor he was. Esp in the second half when there was so much space, yet he couldn't use it. Felliani came on and the difference was instant. Clev's i would keep and see how he get's on. Anderson has been poor for years, his time has come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Fellaini's attributes are just what we needed. I really think he's going to be better for us than we had hoped for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fellaini's attributes are just what we needed. I really think he's going to be better for us than we had hoped for.

very early days of course, but you cold see a marked improvement when he came on.

I think I saw Palace had around 75% possession for 10 minute period or so yesterday when down to 10 men before he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

lordgoat wrote: »
    Also this post is to say: Michael Carrick was superb yesterday. Highlight was the Zizu turn in the centre circle.

It was beautiful. It was needed. The crowd went wild and for about 15/20 seconds the team played like they were actually bothered. It led to Van Persie's chance. That would have been an early contender for goal of the season if it went in.

carrick-360.gif

I really wish this went in. What a ball by Rooney. Scholes would be proud of it. Van Persie controlled it perfectly too. Argh!

If it had fallen to his left foot, he'd have scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Was Januzaj playing off the wing yesterday when he came on, or was he in a front 3-1?

My main gripe though is that while Ronaldo dived in games, Young dives constantly to the point he is going to get sent off and its going to cost us points.

When Ronaldo was on a yellow he took note. Young does not.
    Really? Despite winning more penalties than anybody in Premiership history, has he ever been sent off for diving?

None of us like it because it's not nice to watch. It's very unlikely that he's suddenly going to start costing us points at this stage of his career though.
    Yes really he could.

I dunno. I think stating that he is 'constantly diving' and that he's suddenly going to start costing United points is a bit of an overreaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Was Januzaj playing off the wing yesterday when he came on, or was he in a front 3-1?

He was mainly playing left wing.

MagicIRL wrote: »

He played on the left. He was out there on his own for an age. Nobody was picking him up and no one was passing him the ball.

He dropped very deep (in Scholes territory) to pick up the ball at one stage. It was good to see.

****, I've just checked his age and he's two days younger than my sister. Mental ****.

He played on the left. He was out there on his own for an age. Nobody was picking him up and no one was passing him the ball.

He dropped very deep (in Scholes territory) to pick up the ball at one stage. It was good to see.

****, I've just checked his age and he's two days younger than my sister. Mental ****.

He had no direct opposition. Palace left the right mid basically empty so he had no responsibilities really and could drift where ever he wanted. Which he certainly did and def took the chance he was given. Delighted for him.

How did Carrick look from the stands. The amount of intercepts and little nicks he got on the ball yesterday was unreal. I love watching him play, positionally he's magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Just read that Januzaj refused call ups for the Belgian U18s and U19s squad. He declared he wishes to play for Albania but he is better off playing for Belgium who have better chances of qualifying for Euros and WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Much better if he plays for Albania, like Giggs and Wales.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement