Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Of the 59 games #MUFC have played since RVP joined, Rooney & RVP only started in attack together in 17 of them yet scored 21 goals in those 17

Interesting factoid. They have a good partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

A one month loan?? How does that even make sense

Would we ever just sell him and be done with it, he's brutal. Any team he has gone on loan to he can't even get a game, nowhere near Utd standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Blatter wrote: »
    Moyes says he's confident Januzaj is about to finalise new contract.

Due to some strange clause in UEFA rules , Moyes said he cannot play him in CL until after 9th October or there abouts, but is also very confident of him signing an extended contract.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Premier LeagueVerified account ‏@premierleague Howard Webb has been appointed referee for Manchester City v Manchester United on 22/09/13

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/379620888032731136

Cue lots of ABU's posting pictures of Webb in a United kit. Depsite the fact he seems to go against us almost all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Cue the 'Webb gives United everything' comments if there's any controversial incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is bad news. It seems like Webb over compensates in attempt to assert his neutrality and actually gives a lot of questionable decisions against United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Tickets go on sale for this tomorrow, if you need reminding.

http://blog.easons.com/alex-ferguson-eason-event/

I'd nearly go myself but I don't think I could bare that Eamon Holmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is bad news. It seems like Webb over compensates in attempt to assert his neutrality and actually gives a lot of questionable decisions against United.

Especially away from home, it has to be said...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Personally I think that Webb is an all round great ref and is usually quite objective. I think a lot of United fans look into decisions against us too much and I know that ABUs look into any decision in our favor waaaaaaaaay too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Personally I think that Webb is an all round great ref and is usually quite objective. I think a lot of United fans look into decisions against us too much and I know that ABUs look into any decision in our favor waaaaaaaaay too much.

GTFO Howard! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

A one month loan?? How does that even make sense

You can only loan a player for 28 to 93 days under the emergency loan system. Doncaster are a league two side, a 28 day loan allows him a chance to play some games and if things go well get a loan to another side higher up the league (championship) for a separate 93 days that would bring things up to January. I think they can also extend the current loan so it lasts 93 days if all are happy with it but he wouldn't get to January out of that scenario and can't get another loan for December as the loan window would be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Timmyctc wrote: »

I+don+t+have+enough+laughing+gifs+to+show+how+hard+_7b9ebbe61d267a3e10c8da3432c965f5.gif

DM-ICE wrote: »
    You can only loan a player for 28 to 93 days under the emergency loan system. Doncaster are a league two side, a 28 day loan allows him a chance to play some games and if things go well get a loan to another side higher up the league (championship) for a separate 93 days that would bring things up to January. I think they can also extend the current loan so it lasts 93 days if all are happy with it but he wouldn't get to January out of that scenario and can't get another loan for December as the loan window would be closed.

They are a Championship team though...

The loan is for an month initially as far as i know and can be extended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will keane starting for u21 side tonight. So does januzaj, surprisingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Any German football connoisseurs amongst us? How good are these Leverkusen side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Shane St. wrote: »
    Any German football connoisseurs amongst us? How good are these Leverkusen side?

*paging Nuri Sahin*

He wont leave without expressing his undying love for Kagawa and fury for not using him though :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

They are a Championship team though...

The loan is for an month initially as far as i know and can be extended.

Oops - They got promoted didn't they :pac:

Anyhow the point about the months stands - if United want to get him a four month spell on loan he needs to do a short loan at one side and three months elsewhere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Delighted for Will Keane, welcome back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Lovely from Januzaj there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ah come on, that's as bad as the people that say Webb gives everything to United. Webb is a decent ref, he doesn't favour any teams but has some bad days like any other ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Webb is a poor ref. Bottles more decisions than anyone in the big games. Unfortunately for everybody he gets a lot of the big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sorry if bit off Topic, but I only heard today that Darren Fltchers mum was a Achill Island woman..

just threw it out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Could really have done with him in that Ireland midfield

Mars Bar wrote: »

Keane and fergie used to have some playful arguments over keane wanting him to declare for Ireland.

Mars Bar wrote: »

Carrick, Rio, Scholes and Rooney could all have played for Ireland under granny rule

Would have been handy few players to have;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I know it was ages ago, but do ye think that we would have won the CL had we gotten past Leverkusen in 02?

I know it was ages ago, but do ye think that we would have won the CL had we gotten past Leverkusen in 02?

And Porto in 05. Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Possibly but the Madrid side was very decent. The Porto one hurts because we were robbed and we likely wouldve gone on to win it. I'd say we likely wouldve won in 97 too had we got past Dortmund.

97 and 04 hurt the most in that department.

Think Real was great side in 02. Think we just have fell short in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I still maintain that Porto side had something fishy goings on about them. Its no coincidence in my eyes that two of that team have turned up positive in doping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Dortmund were a really good side we faced in 97 and were the better team in both legs. 05 and Scholes disallowed goal was probably our closest chance of another win in the competition but we didn't put Porto away and paid the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

d22ontour wrote: »
    Dortmund were a really good side we faced in 97 and were the better team in both legs. 05 and Scholes disallowed goal was probably our closest chance of another win in the competition but we didn't put Porto away and paid the price.

I was young at the time and not exactly good judge, but don't remember it as that at all. Fairly sure United were on top for alot of it. Dortmund were outstanding in the final obviously, and United found Juventus tough at the time

d22ontour wrote: »

We destroyed Dortmund in home leg.

How we lost that game I will never know:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We destroyed Dortmund in home leg.

How we lost that game I will never know:(

Oh god ya I remember that game,the team did everything but the fu*king ball just wouldn't go in.

Bloody Lars Ricken nicked one for them.

Oh god ya I remember that game,the team did everything but the fu*king ball just wouldn't go in.

Bloody Lars Ricken nicked one for them.

Cantona missed few bad ones that night.

We could easily have scored 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

They scored an early goal and defended like Germans do, we couldn't score/break them down, whatever. To say we destroyed them is a bit of an overstatement iirc, their defence was quite amazing that night.We ran into a brick wall of Sammer and Kohler or both iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cantona missed few bad ones that night.

We could easily have scored 5.

Looking at the block Barry did against Chelsea at the weekend kind of reminded me of Cantona in that game,had an open goal but somehow the defender got a toe to it.It was like Dortmund made the goals narrower that night :)

Wasn't Schmiechal injured for the first leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Looking at the block Barry did against Chelsea at the weekend kind of reminded me of Cantona in that game,had an open goal but somehow the defender got a toe to it.It was like Dortmund made the goals narrower that night :)

Yeah remember van der Gouw was in goal for that game.

• Advertisement

Thats right, Van der Gouw was in goals for that game.

I remember it was a decent goal by Dortmund that night.

Not getting away goal cost us imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I was young at the time and not exactly good judge, but don't remember it as that at all. Fairly sure United were on top for alot of it. Dortmund were outstanding in the final obviously, and United found Juventus tough at the time

Porto was 04, Dortmund was a sickener, we outplayed them in both games, Butt hit the inside of the post in the away leg and we had other chances. 98 was the worst personally. injury ravaged playing Monaco. We were the best team in the 98 champions league, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Was talking with a friend last night about a theory, or more of a comparison, between Moyes and Rogers and how they are moulding their own teams.

It stemmed from a quote from Moyes a week or two ago regarding it taking him 2 years to shape the United team 'His Way'.

Now, I used Brendan Rogers at Liverpool as my comparison. For a few reasons. I like his style of football. I loved how he got Swansea playing (Laudrup has possibly even taking them on further) but Rogers got them there. Then I looked at when he went to Liverpool. He said '2 years' to get his imprint on the team.

Moyes and Rogers are not world's apart in terms of their management challenge. Both decent managers, yet unproven at the top, who find themselves at their biggest test of the careers managing Global clubs.

Let's look at what Rogers did in his first year at Liverpool.

That summer, he went back to his old club, and bought a CM Joe Allen. He trusted him and rated him. He also went and bought Borini as he didn't rate Carroll and let him go on loan. Other than that, the only player he actually ran the rule over in terms of selling, was Adam. The rest were already done. He also gave youth a big chance - Sterling, Suso and Wisdom sticking out the most.

Then in the winter, more slow building and shaping. He brings in Sturridge and Coutinho. Nothing radical.

They played decent football, improvement on last year and finish 7th.

In his second season, he begins to really make the shape his own. He moves out Downing, Carroll, Spearing, Shelvey, Pepe, Carra retires - somewhat radical changes. He brings in Aspas, Mignolet, Toure, Alberto, Sakho. He has changed the way they press the ball and how the attack through the channels. They now look quite bright, confident and to be fair, are playing decent football in the early stages of the season.

Moyes?

First season does nothing radical at all in terms of change. Background team - but expected.

Goes to his old club, gets Fellaini. A CM he trusts and knows will add steal to our midfield. Keeps some 'questionable' players around but does not move them on yet. He gets to know his team from now until Winter, then I suspect we will see some more movements.

Why this comparison? Because i believe they are similar situations. I think both managers wanted to avoid a massive upheaval of players in their first season. Look at when it happens at a club - they do awful. Top half / bottom half team - they struggle with 10 new signings. These managers avoid the big changes, and slowly implement and adapt.

Predicted similarities?

- We will move for a player or two in Jan
    - We will see Giggs step retire this season
    - Moyes will begin making wholesale changes in the summer clearing out 3/4 names
    - He will begin to build his empire :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

easons being a b!tch, you need to buy a book with a ticket for fergies talk, so if you want to go with someone you need to buy 2 books!

40 quid a go too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

jameshayes wrote: »
    easons being a b!tch, you need to buy a book with a ticket for fergies talk, so if you want to go with someone you need to buy 2 books!

40 quid a go too!

Will only let me order one too... I get two in my basket but when I checkout its one again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Julez wrote: »
    Will only let me order one too... I get two in my basket but when I checkout its one again!

happening to me too they are ****tards and I'm trying on 3 browsers

oh and their customer support line is engaged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

Julez wrote: »

I'm getting the same issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I'm getting the same issue

Looks like they have taken them off sale as its a notify me button now
    http://www.easons.com/p-1486047-sir-alex-ferguson-in-conversation.aspx

jameshayes wrote: »

40 quid a go too!

I didn't need to buy a book with either order.

Had the same issue as above when I tried to buy two tickets, so I had to get the separately. Stupid website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Who are these 3 or 4 players you think will be gone. Name 3 or 4 players from the squad who should be gone. I can't think of anybody besides Buttner who is not good enough for the squad. Other than that i can't think of anybody who deserves to go.

United have a talented squad all over it's what wins leagues. Rodgers had to come in and clear a load of deadwood left over from the previous managers, players who are not near the quality needed.

Also a big difference is Moyes was left a squad that are the reigning champions. I don't see what big radical changes he will have to make that Rodgers made. He doesn't need a plan to stamp his mark on the club. All he needs is implementing a few of his own ideas into an already well run club. Rodgers came into a club in a total mess and had to build from the bottom. Comparing them is completely pointless imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

I didn't need to buy a book with either order.

Had the same issue as above when I tried to buy two tickets, so I had to get the separately. Stupid website.

The 40 includes the book, I think thats what he means.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement