Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fellaini is going into my Fantasy team.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Seems like our bid for Herrera only fell short of his buyout clause by a few million Euro. If we'd signed Fellaini earlier in the summer when his buyout clause was applicable we'd have had him for the first three games of the season and the £4m saved could have been put towards closing the Herrara deal. Amateur stuff from all involved and as fans we should demand better. If Woodward is responsible for this then he needs to be shown the door. We don't have time for on-the-job training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Let's be honest here lads; Fergie and Gill left us high and dry this Summer. It's been a huge mistake to have such a huge transition in such a short space of time. Both of the departing figures have a responsibility for leaving the squad in a state where a lot of us excepted that without van Persie we wouldn't have won the title last year. .

No. Not really. Our squad was in fantastic shape and all needed was 1 or 2 very good CMs to add. Moyes had 2 months to address that and apart from that there was no need to buy in any position. So Fergie left United in the best possible shape except we had weaklink in CM dept.

Even if you name our first 11, it's full of excellent players and all the players were here before Moyes and only Fellaini is added, which shows we were in superb state.

Without RVP we wouldn't have won the league is a moot point. Without RVP we won the league before and came extremely close with Rooney playing upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

good post.

Don't agree with everything, but you make lot of sense.

Definitely dont agree with Fergie and Gill leaving us high and dry. The squad couldn't be any better other than 2 central midfielders. Thats probably the easiest squad analysis any new manager has ever had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

No, my point is that the Barcelona name is enough to attract players. You seem to think that Moyes won't be able to attract the bigger names yea?

Maybe. You mentioned a couple of guys with big reputations too prior to management. Moyes doesn't have that. He did a great job with Everton but not sure he can do it with United based on what I've seen of him over a decade.

Questions have to be asked of the manager or anyone who had anything to do with this window for United. They clearly wanted 5-6 players. That's in the public domain. They got one and paid a massive amount of money for him.

Is that the fault of the board? Is it the fault of Woodward? Is it the fault of the manager?

It's impossible to say from where we sit but I don't remember United ever being in for that many players so publically and getting so little. In my opinion, and it's just that, I think big players will not be attracted to playing under Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We should be lot more of a threat now from set pieces now that we have Fellaini.

As long as we put him in front of the first defender so the ball gets to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Do you mean Moyes done this or the people he sent to sign the player? Also can you give a link to where you read this and also a link confirming 23.5 was his buyout clause.

Todays Irish Indo says Moyes thought buy out was too high & tried to negotiate a lower price.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23710170

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23939901

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Lads nobody knows anything concrete about the deals we missed out on, why we missed out on them or how Woodward or any club representatives conducted themselves during the process. Yet almost everyone here has been able to form an opinion on Woodword, with some looking for him to be sacked. This is ridiculous.

The only people who know what has happened are the club's officials and board. I doubt we'll ever here them comment on it though, so for us it will all remain a mystery. Why don't we just wait and see what the board decide? If suddenly Woodward is shown the door then we can safely assume he failed at his job and some blame lies with him. If he continues to be gainfully employed then we should assume the board are happy with how things went, which suggest we missed out on signing players due to reasons they accept, and Woodward is not totally at fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Soldie wrote: »
    Seems like our bid for Herrera only fell short of his buyout clause by a few million Euro.

I've read a few times now that a 36m buyout clase would have cost us a fair bit more than 36m. So it wasn't that we were a few million short, but rather quite a bit short of valuation in terms of what we would have had to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

We could have signed Fellaini earlier in the window anyway and at least kept our dignity. We made or self look pathetic with Thiago, Fabregas, Herrara, Khedira etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

GSPfan wrote: »
    Definitely dont agree with Fergie and Gill leaving us high and dry. The squad couldn't be any better other than 2 central midfielders. Thats probably the easiest squad analysis any new manager has ever had to do.

this...all we needed this summer was two center midfielders - one to ensure that Jones doesnt need to play there, which was solved in a poor manner, but with hopefully a great player and the second went unsolved - creativity and drive from midfield.

Carrick, Fellani, Anderson and Cleverly - it still doesnt strike fear into oponents does it?

seen a valid point earlier, think it was on the telegraph site....on how this could and probably will have serious repercussions for future big deals. the herrera story is everywhere with sub-headlines containing farce, embarrassing and humiliation in them and this is publicity that Moyes didnt need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

NEW SIGNING, our season is saved!!!

YajFqkH.png

http://bazonline.ch/sport/fussball/Der-FCZ-und-der-grosse-Deal-mit-einem-17Jaehrigen/story/21341915

So I was right....
    s.welstead wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for Fellaini and Herrera. Oh and any deals involving Mata, Özil, Di Maria etc, all fall flat unless we put in a bid. With all the focus on the big deals today I wouldn't be surprised to see Utd pull off a surprise and sign a relatively unknown fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Maybe and my point is not around the merits of the Veron signing. It's that Fergie could attract that sort of player.

It isn't about star names but is Fellaini the type of player United needed most? I know it's becoming cliche already but wouldn't a player like Ozil have been a better fit?

Fellaini is exactly what we needed. He'll give us some physical presence in the middle which we have been sorely lacking. I lost count of the number of games in the last 4 seasons where we've lost games due to being completely out muscled in the middle e.g. every game we've lost to City in the last few seasons has been down to Y.Toure physically bossing the middle.

While Ozil is a fantastic player there was no point in going for him unless we were going to shift either Kagawa or Rooney.

I've read a few times now that a 36m buyout clase would have cost us a fair bit more than 36m. So it wasn't that we were a few million short, but rather quite a bit short of valuation in terms of what we would have had to pay.

Fair enough. It's hard to know what all the facts are. In the end we signed only one player at the buzzer, a player we could have used in our opening three games of the season in which we dropped five points. For me the handling of the transfer window is as much unacceptable as it is inexcusable.

So going by what we think we know.......

United don't pay release clause for Herrera to try negotiate a lower price. - Failed.
    United don't pay release clause for Fellaini to try negotiate a higher price. - Success.
    United try sign 1 of 2 left backs when we already have 2 to 3 already in the squad. Failed.

Boggles the mind.

• Advertisement

Fellaini to wear the number 31 shirt (until Anderson's number 8 is available). Shouldn't be long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'll judge Moyes on the pitch, thats where he lives or dies.
    Don't agree here, tbh mate. Moyes is the club manager, he has much more responsibility than actually what goes on on the pitch. A much different role than a first team coach, who should only be judged by team performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Paddy Power just posted on their fb page...

"The moment in the pub last night when David Moyes was told he only had an hour left to buy someone..."

1234988_10151816822859914_1281405867_n.jpg

Quite sad, but very funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Right so we have all calmed down and a win in our next game against Palace should clear some heads in here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

s.welstead wrote: »

Did we really sign him or is it just a photoshopped?

Couldn't find this news anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Here's the article hilariously translated....
    For Saidy Janko is a dream come true. The Super Talent of FC Zurich, which can play in defense, and also in the storm, switches immediately to the English giants Manchester United. The transfer fee should be against a million francs. The FCZ enjoy other revenue, if the 17-year-old Janko interspersed in England. For every game that he denies in the first team of Manchester United, is a further amount will be due. This agreement is obviously up to the 50th Game. Also benefit from any resale of the Zurich striker would participate. The bottom line could once again flush a lot of money in the FCZ checkout.

"We were really strict, however»

FCZ will announce any contract details, but stressed that he did not want to give the player. "We were really strict, however, and have Saidy advised to go now already abroad," says team manager Massimo Rizzo FCZ against baz.ch / Newsnet. The player could also even and his family want partout but by making the transition. "There was just nothing to be done, we could not change his mind."

Saidy Janko was noticed in May at the traditional Blue Stars Fifa Cup to Manchester United scouts. Then he was invited to England for trial again and was able to convince those responsible. Janko was born in Zurich and Swiss-double Gambian citizens. He played for the Swiss U-18 national team six times so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Yes I'd say it was.

But it is also a fact that it should have been just as easy for the previous management team to identify the same problems and act on them. I wouldn't go so far as to say they left us high and dry, but they definitely left a serious problem in place for the new guys. If that had been addressed, there wouldn't have been as much pressure on Woodward and Moyes to deliver.
    ____

Also, just to clarify, while I'm very disappointed overall with the summer (based on my hopes and expectations in July), I remain fully supportive of Moyes and would not like to see anyone sacked.

However, lessons do need to be learned.
    In my opinion one of the biggest of which is keeping a bloody lid on leaks and rumours from within the club. The stupid leaking of Woodward's return from Australia 'on urgent transfer business' left both him and the club open to serious ridicule if things didn't work out as desired.

1186091_714493491909712_823894341_n.jpg

Thought this was kind of funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Giggsy11 wrote: »

I'd imagine he's signed but wouldn't be surprised if he was held ransom by Woodward for some Swiss gold. The look on his face is telling, he doesn't seem very happy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

United don't pay release clause for Herrera to try negotiate a lower price. - Failed.
    United don't pay release clause for Fellaini to try negotiate a higher price. - Success.
    United try sign 1 of 2 left backs when we already have 2 to 3 already in the squad. Failed.

Boggles the mind.

Herrera release was €36m plus tax which would put it closer to €70m. We were correct not to agree to that.
    The other points I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

you seem to think that a few posters who happen to agree with you, means that nobody apart from mitch wants him sacked?

id say right now from what i read, 80%+ have no faith in Woodward. we all cant be wrong and not knee jerking or part time fans like you and the comical ali brigade seem to want to think.

and i find it ironic that your calling it kneejerking, but you are bit*ching like a little woman all summer about the condemnation of poor little Woodie.

make your bloody mind up.

Get the fúck out of it with that sexist shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

we need a Director of Football whose sole purpose is to deal with transfers and contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Herrera release was €36m plus tax which would put it closer to €70m. We were correct not to agree to that.
    The other points I agree with.

The tax was 21% as far as I understood it, bringing to closer to €44m, but still too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Remi Moses had the last decent afro at United if I remember right. Can't think of any decent shouts in between. My memories of Moses are sketchy but he wasn't as good as first hoped.

article-1113443-01D1FA400000044D-351_224x425.jpg

Remi Moses was a very good player and had a great partnership in the middle with Robbo, both at United and WBA. Unfortunately he was injury prone (even more so than Robbo) and had to retire in the early years of Fergie's reign, at the age of 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

The tax was 21% as far as I understood it, bringing to closer to €44m, but still too expensive.

Plus another 44% if we were to be likely to get him yesterday, which is what the negotiating was about I believe. That still leaves the question though as to why we only bid for him with only 3 or 4 days left in the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Well we know one thing for certain lads

The palace match thread will be full to the rafters with the lads who descended on the other super thread yesterday, calling Fellaini scummy for everything he does in the game.

I'd hate to be the mods for the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

MUFC News ‏@MUFCSupport Coentrao to Manchester United is off. Paperwork not done by Real Madrid as they could not sign a replacement in time. #MUFC

https://twitter.com/MUFCSupport/status/374843570286759936

Madrid at fault according to this

Boggles the mind.

but hey....lets not forget we have signed all of these lads in the recent months so its party on and Woodie is great -
    Yanmar new diesel engine partner - signed.
    Mister potato - signed.
    Aeroflot official airline - signed.
    Epson as 'Official Office Equipment Partner - signed.
    Hublot official watch partner - signed.
    Singa beer official errm, beer -signed.
    TM – yes, the 'Official Integrated Telecommunications partner of Manchester United in Malaysia - signed.
    Casillero del Diablo sparkling wine. The Chilean company is the 'Official Wine Partner of Manchester United - signed.
    DHL 'Official Logistics Partner of Manchester United - signed, but we sold him on again as he wasnt performing.
    Chinese soft drinks manufacturer Wahaha - signed.
    Kagome Tomato Juice - the 'Official Partner of Manchester United for Japan - sorted
    Chevrolet - the 'Official Automative Partner of Manchester United - signed
    Bwin - Official Online Gaming and Betting Partner of Manchester United - signed
    Honda - The 'Official Motorcycle Partner of Manchester United in Thailand - signed
    Beeline, the 'Official Telecommunications Partner of Manchester United in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - signed.
    Kansai Paint, the 'Official Paint Partner of Manchester United - signed
    Globul - the 'Official Telecommunications partner of Manchester United in Bulgaria - signed
    Mamee are the 'Official Noodles Partner of Manchester United for Asia, Oceania and Middle East - signed.

We also joined twitter, Instagram and google+ this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Headshot wrote: »
    I thought surely we'd do better business that Arsenal but man I was fair wrong

While ozil is class it doesn't really solve anything as they have good options there already. They still need a dm and cb and maybe a striker

Madrid at fault according to this

or more to the point, we left it so late they had no chance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Elro wrote: »
    Plus another 44% if we were to be likely to get him yesterday, which is what the negotiating was about I believe. That still leaves the question though as to why we only bid for him with only 3 or 4 days left in the window.

Because he wasn't first choice or even in our top 10. He was what we thought was left after the bigger targets hadn't worked out. It's not as if Moyes drew up a list of "Fellaini, Herrera and Contreao" and just forgot to give it to anyone till yesterday evening. We had other targets we worked through first.

I also don't get all the slagging off of commercial deals. For one, we need them to get the money to spend on players, and it's not the marketing departments fault the money they raised wasn't spent. If anything, right now, the marketing department looks like they should be transferred over to the transfer department, cause they did a stellar job this summer.

I'm sure some will still find a way to blame the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Your right, Homer was in very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Do any of you think Kagawa could be moulded into the creative midfielder we missed out on?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8904153/shinji-kagawa-says-ill-fight-for-my-spot-at-manchester-united

• Advertisement

Herrera release was €36m plus tax which would put it closer to €70m.

No.

None of that is true.

How about not leaving things to the last minutes of the window to get deals tied up? Or is that asking too much of United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Glad that summer is over, serious questions need to be asked now at the way we went about our transfers. Very happy to have finally gotten fellaini though, I think he'll be a great addition to the team, will give carrick that little bit of confidence to push up the field knowing he has solid cover beside him, carrick is very good creatively.
    If rooney is still injured for palace, id love us to give zaha a chance and go with

carrick
    fellaini

nani
    kagawa
    zaha

RVP

Was very impressed with zaha in pre-season and think he should get a chance, also gives kags a chance in his preferred position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

No he shouldn't be sacked.

If not signing players was a reason to be sacked Gill would have walked to. The Bebe deal, just look at that, both Fergie and Gill were involved.

Impatient fans have been throwing their toys out of the pram all window.

Do I think Woody is perfect? No. Do I think he could have done better this window? Of course.

Do I remember Fergies final words about this being a great club? Yes. Will I support the Club the same under our new staff as I did Gill and Fergie? Yes.

Do I want to see us turn into a City or Chelsea with a merry go round of staff and managers due to fickle fans, because if Woody takes the fall for this the next person in line for the chop if we have a another bad transfer window or bad results is Moyes and you can be sure them same impatient and frustrated people will be calling for Moyes head next, and then we end up with no stability, something which has worked for us and set us apart all these years. No, I sure as hell don't want that.

One transfer window and three matches in and people want change already. Its a joke.

Refreshing to read some sense amongst all the drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

They were trying to be shrewd and ended up looking stupid. If they did have clear targets in mind, which I doubt that they did, they should have just paid the realistic amount needed to secure them instead of trying to be cheap. I'm sure man Utd have played hard ball with a lot of these clubs before and they couldn't wait for the opportunity to play hardball back.

Everton last night are a fine example, they only sold their man when they were happy with the business that they did themselves. If those deals fell through we would have not got fellaini.

What needs to happen now is the club need to take swift action if it has been ascertained that incompetence was the cause of recent month's shambles.

I'm reluctant to blame anyone without hearing the full facts. Unfortunately we'll never know the full facts.

You're mad in the head if you think everton were going out spending 13million on McCarthy without having secured money from man united, the Fellani deal was in all likely hood wrapped up well before deadline and kept quiet so Wigan couldn't extort Everton for a greater fee.

With that said how we paid 28 million for a player who had a clause of 23.5 is baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You know what, it was shambolic, it was headwrecking.

In the end I am happy enough though with the squad, very happy in fact.

Would have been delighted to get another younger midfielder, but a first choice of Carrick and Fellaini gives us license to play Rooney Kag and Nani together imo and I really hope we do.

If our first choice is that behind RVP I will be very very happy.

Sticking with the positives today, we have one hell of a squad as always and our first XI has been improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Because he wasn't first choice or even in our top 10. He was what we thought was left after the bigger targets hadn't worked out. It's not as if Moyes drew up a list of "Fellaini, Herrera and Contreao" and just forgot to give it to anyone till yesterday evening. We had other targets we worked through first.

I get he wasn't the top target but i would say he was definitely in the top 10. The top target was Fabregas but that was sorted by the first week in August and after that we had nothing until the Herrera bid as far as I remember. Apart from Fellaini/Baines of course.

How about not leaving things to the last minutes of the window to get deals tied up? Or is that asking too much of United?

You're right, we should have had our business sorted much sooner. It won't be allowed to happen again though I'd imagine.

errm yes, obviously it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

DerryRed wrote: »
    Remi Moses was a very good player and had a great partnership in the middle with Robbo, both at United and WBA. Unfortunately he was injury prone (even more so than Robbo) and had to retire in the early years of Fergie's reign, at the age of 28.

He was also very good with his fists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Not sure if mentioned already, but Vincent Kompany tweeted this to Fellaini earlier:
    Congratulations @fellainiM (https://twitter.com/fellainiM) ! Any countryman doing well, I'm happy for. So now we will be neighbours. Careful I can be quite noisy.. ;-)

He is one City player that I genuinely like. The lad is a absolutely world class player, seems like he has a great attitude. Nice to see a bit of banter between players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement