Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wish they would leave Rooney alone, whether he wanted to or not, it doesn't matter right now.
    He is performing on the pitch and that is what we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Funking ITV reporter :mad:
    He'd be a pretty useless reporter if he didn't ask those questions.

I thought it was pretty obvious he still wants to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

They're all too focused on whether Rooney asked to leave. Its sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If he didnt ask for it he would have spoken up by now. IMO he did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I think we gotta give Shinji some leeway here, we all know how fecked you are after a flu, takes a good week to get over. Few more games to get him up to speed! I thought Rooney and Smalling were the standout players tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Only caught the last 20 minutes of the game, so I don't know how they played overall. It was harder for RVP to miss that sitter near the end, than to actually score it. A very good result and a nice start to Moyes European career.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I think we gotta give Shinji some leeway here, we all know how fecked you are after a flu, takes a good week to get over. Few more games to get him up to speed! I thought Rooney and Smalling were the standout players tonight.

Valencia was really good too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Good win on the whole. Solid win with three points in the bag. Fellaini added some much-needed balance to our midfield. Kagawa looked rusty but I'd say he just needs game time. Ferdinand had an uncharacteristically poor game, which made our defence ropey overall. Valencia took his goal well and set van Persie up nicely, but he still looked indecisive and his final ball was poor (those drilled low balls make me despair). I think his performance was decent, but it was made to look much better because it's contrasted with the pure muck he's been serving up for over a year now. A minor dark cloud on the horizon for me is the fact that I can't help but think Rooney was trying to prove a point by going for glory. There will be games where we won't score four goals, so those chances will need to be taken and that petty stuff will need to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

I wonder if Ferguson's book has anything to do with how Rooney answered (or didn't answer) the questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Valencia was a different man tonight. Drugs I tell ya, drugs. Lots of em.

• Advertisement

If he didnt ask for it he would have spoken up by now. IMO he did

He definitely did, but people need to move on. He's here for another year at least. Moyes has a chance to convince him that staying is the best option. He played very well tonight and that's all that really matters at this stage.

Needs to take a few more to get his crossing back to normal. Probably his best performance in a year tonight though. Great to see him taking players on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Anybody know where to find player stats for tonight's game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pj! wrote: »
    Anybody know where to find player stats for tonight's game?

Squawka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

All day playing GTA,he was buzzed up after wrecking the place!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

jameshayes wrote: »
    I could clear as day here him shout for the ball and then he arched his body away from the punch, strange one.

I think he called for the cross originally but then Rio called it and headed it out for an unnecessary corner. He's been all over the place the last 2 games at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didn't think Valencia was that great tonight. Every cross was drilled or floated behind every one to the back post. Kagawa was good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I was actually encouraged with Kagawa tonight. He didnt play particularly well but his movement is extremely clever and he sees passes. It's just a matter of Rvp and Rooney learning to play with him.

Valencia has clearly been told that he's to take his man on. The majority of time he got the ball he was turning and going at his man. So refreshing when he's like that. Different player.

Midfield so much more balanced with Fellaini in there. His presence is something we've really missed.

Rooney was outstanding. Best player on the pitch and it wasn't even close. Leverkusen didnt know what to do with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

As often as he was dispossessed tonight, I was still impressed with Kagawa. The little positions he picks up and runs he makes are just quality and at times can really open a game.

Best performance I've seen from Smalling in a long time as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

That's the first group game in a long time i really enjoyed. Hope it keeps up they became a chore the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

As often as he was dispossessed tonight, I was still impressed with Kagawa. The little positions he picks up and runs he makes are just quality and at times can really open a game.

Best performance I've seen from Smalling in a long time as well.

Good to see Smalling on the pitch even if it Is at right back, see him as having a big future at the club and hope he can stay injury free this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

kryogen wrote: »
    Good to see Smalling on the pitch even if it Is at right back, see him as having a big future at the club and hope he can stay injury free this year.

You could see that he's not a full back from his crossing tonight but other than that he couldn't be faulted all night. Agreed, a future regular at centre half

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Personally think 4-2 flattered Lever to be honest; their first goal was out of nowhere and their second was down to defensive lapses rather than one they deserved. And we could have had 2 more goals had RVP been on form. Still, I love that even when RVP is having a bad run, he still scores goals.

Meanwhile, Smalling and Valencia had great games, Rooney was brilliant. Fellaini gave our midfield some foundation, despite a bad night with passes. Can't wait till we see that team but with Nani and Welbeck back in the squad and Kagawa and RVP firing on all cylinders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

For once I didn't feel as if the opposition would just walk through our midfield when they had the ball. Haven't felt comfortable watching United in Europe for a while now, hope this is the start of an upturn in performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Highlights on ITV now guys for anyone who missed the game earlier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some goal from himself tonight

iulqWNTFp0mGb.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just home. Great game.

Valencia did well at times. He was still really frustrating though. Kills the impetus with a lot of moves due his reliance on the right foot. Did well to beat his man a few times. Let down by the delivery. It's like he couldn't be arsed picking out someone. Just drive it across and see how I get on.

Rooney was magnificent. I'm delighted he has stayed. When in that form he's a joy to watch.

I don't know if the cameras picked it up but he had a little moment with RVP in the second half before taking a free. RVP gestured to Rooney to take it and put his arm around him for a bit. I was looking out for any interaction between them, and it was the first I saw all game apart from the goal celebrations.

Kagawa disappointed with his touch. He picked up nice positions in between. He needs more gametime.

Young annoys me. He is so negative. He is one of the only wingers I know who is facing towards his own goal when receiving a ball from the full-back. As a result he has to constantly go back. Very rarely does he try and turn towards the oppositions goal.

Fellaini was immense. He has mastered the art of getting a tackle in and then wedging your body in front of theirs. It's the perfect technique. You have control of the ball and if they try to go through you, you have a free.

First ever Champions League match to go to. I got chills down my neck when the anthem started playing. Very enjoyable night and no real traffic on the way home. Back to reality tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fellaini is going to make Utd a much more exciting team this year.

Can't wait for what I would expect Moyes preferred front six:

Carrick Fellaini

Nani
    Rooney
    Kagawa
    RVP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

adox wrote: »

Carrick Fellaini

Nani
    Rooney
    Kagawa
    RVP

She sure looks perty!

I don't know if the cameras picked it up but he had a little moment with RVP in the second half before taking a free. RVP gestured to Rooney to take it and put his arm around him for a bit. I was looking out for any interaction between them, and it was the first I saw all game apart from the goal celebrations.
    Was also looking out for how the two interacted and paid close attention to that free (assume it was the one on the edge of the box?). Van Persie won it but Rooney picked the ball up and put it under his arm. The cameras showed the two discussing it and of course Rooney took it.
    What caught my attention after was a gesture by Van Persie. Hands up in the air type gesture at someone. I thought he might have been berating Rooney for taking it, but it's also possible he was gesturing to the referee for the wall moving. I only noticed it in live play and haven't seen a replay as of yet.

• Advertisement

I reckon Moyes will like the safety net of Val or even Welbeck on one wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I reckon Moyes will like the safety net of Val or even Welbeck on one wing

I'm hoping the arrival of Fellaini will finally negate the need for "safe" wide players to help compensate short comings in the middle.

I'm hoping the arrival of Fellaini will finally negate the need for "safe" wide players to help compensate short comings in the middle.

Id love to think that too but I cant see us being that expansive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Was also looking out for how the two interacted and paid close attention to that free (assume it was the one on the edge of the box?). Van Persie won it but Rooney picked the ball up and put it under his arm. The cameras showed the two discussing it and of course Rooney took it.
    What caught my attention after was a gesture by Van Persie. Hands up in the air type gesture at someone. I thought he might have been berating Rooney for taking it, but it's also possible he was gesturing to the referee for the wall moving. I only noticed it in live play and haven't seen a replay as of yet.

I'd say it was because of the wall. Someone got a head to it and he was probably complaining about that.

If it's the same one as I'm talking about then RVP definitely told Rooney to take it. There's no question. It was the central one. They didn't both stand over any other frees I don't think.

I'd say it was because of the wall. Someone got a head to it and he was probably complaining about that.

If it's the same one as I'm talking about then RVP definitely told Rooney to take it. There's no question. It was the central one. They didn't both stand over any other frees I don't think.
    Yeah possibly. Thought it was positioned more for Van Persie's left peg myself but Rooney looked eager and got the idea he wouldn't have taken no for an answer!

Ah they're still celebrating together so it's nothing too severe (if indeed there is anything at all).
    Always liked how they were so generous and hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'm not sure if he just wanted to avoid admitting he asked to leave or he still wants to leave?

Fellaini is going to make Utd a much more exciting team this year.

Carrick Fellaini

Nani
    Rooney
    Kagawa
    RVP

Having Kag ahead of Evra leaves that side very open from time to time, as was evident a number of times tonight.

Fellaini covered for Evra quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Been posting much less in here recently but just thought I'd say I was delighted to see Valencia play like 2010 Valencia again. Rooney too looks to be brimming with confidence. Fellaini will be such a good player for us.

Very disappointed with Rio tonight, thought he was very dopey and I would blame him over De Gea for the 2nd goal as it was an utterly needless corner to give away.

We should have won 5-0, not 4-2, but you can't complain about starting with a win. Valencia's goal was a proper United goal and a fecking amazing counter attack.

Having Kag ahead of Evra leaves that side very open from time to time, as was evident a number of times tonight.

Fellaini covered for Evra quite a bit.

That's another advantage of having Fellaini!

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Been posting much less in here recently but just thought I'd say I was delighted to see Valencia play like 2010 Valencia again. Rooney too looks to be brimming with confidence. Fellaini will be such a good player for us.

Very disappointed with Rio tonight, thought he was very dopey and I would blame him over De Gea for the 2nd goal as it was an utterly needless corner to give away.

We should have won 5-0, not 4-2, but you can't complain about starting with a win. Valencia's goal was a proper United goal and a fecking amazing counter attack.

Rio has been a bit ropey in general this season so far, hopefully its just early season rust.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good start for Fellaini and Carrick. Hopefully when they get more used to each other one will be able to step up a few yards to take a more advanced position and provide a better link between defence and attack. Fellaini will be a cult hero in no time the way he battles, that hair and he is sure to pop with goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I'm not sure if he just wanted to avoid admitting he asked to leave or he still wants to leave?

Rooney did the right thing. Transfer window is over, he played superbly and all that reporter wanted to ask was about his transfer request?

Had he said Yes I asked to leave then it would have been headlines saying how Rooney wants to leave.

Had he said No, people would have called either him or SAF liar.

Had he said Yes, I asked to leave but now I want to stay, then it would be routine BS spouting by the player and everyone would have abused him.

Rooney did the right thing by not answering it. Who cares whether he asked for transfer or not as long as he stays and plays like Yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

very enjoyable game to watch! some great inidividiual performances.
    valencia was like a different man, hopefully he builds on the performance. smalling, defensively, played very well at RB.
    I'm not a big fan of ashley young, but thought he played well when he came on. a nice little backheel to get out of trouble and picked out rooney (iirc) well for valencia's goal!
    I am a big Kagawa fan, much rather see him playing through the middle but he showed signs of his ability last night.
    Fellaini will make a huge difference to United! Cant wait to see him playing in the derby!
    United were actually entertaining at times, a very welcome change of late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't think Valencia was a super as certain people are trying to make out.

he didn't actually do anything different to what he was doing at the weekend, drilling low balls into the first man.

the cross for VPs goal was shíte when you look at it.

I think he terrorised the full back a bit, like he used to, but I think that was more down to the full back than Tony tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think Valencia was a super as certain people are trying to make out.

he didn't actually do anything different to what he was doing at the weekend, drilling low balls into the first man.

the cross for VPs goal was shíte when you look at it.

I think he terrorised the full back a bit, like he used to, but I think that was more down to the full back than Tony tbh

Would agree - it was nice to see him driving at the defender rather than looking for the right back every time, but his final ball was a disgrace. Never really looking for someone, just drilling it nearly every time - hoping something would happen rather than specifically trying something.

If you are not going to aim a cross at someone 19 times out of 20 you are going to find no one 19 times out of 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Was Fellaini as good as many are making out? It's early days but I didn't see anything special. Hope he is more of a player than just there to break up play.

Was Fellaini as good as many are making out? It's early days but I didn't see anything special. Hope he is more of a player than just there to break up play.

it is his presence in the team that is noticable, his mid-long range passing is leaving a lot to be desired.

He had a good opening 20-25 minutes, was muscling people off the ball, giving short balls to Carrick and the defenders and wide men, but his attempts to play anything longer than a 15 yard pass were more often than not unsuccessful.

But that base he gives the team, that solid core, is what he was brought in for. It's one aspect that United have been lacking, and it was MOST noticable in Rooney's game. He didn't have to come deep to help the midfield, and so was free to concentrate on his role as Number 10.

It was very obvious that when Cleverley came on, Rooney was drawn much deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

great start, mixed opinions on the performance, but as it went on, i think we did better and better and some really strong positives.

great to see Valencia finally have a good game. Definsively we were poor, im normally one who rarely criticises Rio, but he was woeful at times last night.

apart from that, Kagawa was poor last night, really poor. he was knocked off the ball about 6 times at least last night and gave away the ball far too much. odd flashes of brilliance of course, but overall his current form is really worrying, he got his chance and he didnt take it. he needs to do much better.
    kryogen wrote: »

Smalling is a super player and last night just confirmed he is much more advanced right now than Jones in terms of being ready for the first team.

he is lying too deep for my liking, essentially right now its like have two Carricks. of course there is positives in this and he will be vital when we play away in europe and in the big PL games, but we still have a huge need for a creative CM.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fellaini's impact was very noticeable throughout the game. It allowed others to focus less on the donkey work and instead let them play their own game. Yes, some of his longer passes were a bit poor but he can easily work on that.

Rooney was absolutely superb. He looks so fit, and I believe it when it was said he's the leanest he's been in 5 years. It was great not to seen him actively have to help out in midfield or in defenders. The number of times I saw Fellaini fill in for Evra, a place you'd see Rooney often enough last year.

Valencia was very good. It was great to see him celebrate and I hope he kicks on from that.

Kagawa was good when he was in behind the strikers. However, he needs to bulk up. Initially I felt he was getting no protection from the ref, but it became clear that he was just not strong enough.

But for me, it's all about Fellaini. Its the steel and bite he adds to the team. I cannot wait for Fellaini and Carrick to line out vs City.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yes, some of his longer passes were a bit poor but he can easily work on that.

My opinion is that at 25, and having worked under Moyes at Everton, it just isn't going to happen for him.

He'll never have long range passing ability.

That's ok though, Carrick has.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement