Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

TheDoc wrote: »
    Wow some harsh critism of Kagawa over the last few pages, Fellaini too in places.

I thought Fellaini was excellent. He was a real battler in midfield and won the ball back countless times and
    and had some neat forward passes and controled the pace nicely alongside Carrick. Obviously still getting used to his new team mates, but I thought he was very assured.
    Kagawa I thought did very well. Lovely neat passing and control, roamed around the final third and we looked potent all night.

Kags just seemingly got over the flu, that's pretty devastating for an athlete, nevermind a normal fella.

Lads need to get some perspective here, there is a mini saga being made of Kagawa here which is boiling into creating ridiculous critique of him over the last few weeks.

Had a rubbish pre-season
    Long distance travelling with Japan (to happen again in two weeks time)

He is going to need a good few weeks to get settled, and I think he will fire on more cyclinders around November if I'm honest. But I thought he demonstrated last night why he can be a massive asset. Lovely control and passing and made some incision passes a few times.

Valencia was
    powerful last night, and maybe he see's there is a real opening to lay a stake down as the club's best winger. Was powerful and fast and really went at his man, which he needs to do. Too often last season and the start of this, he stops short of taking someone on and passes. Maybe Moyes needs credit here, giving instruction to go for it. Maybe its the players decision

His work rate is phenomonal, he was sprinting back at pace in the second half when the game was over, still tracking back. He is such a valuable player on form, as much for his defensive work as his offfensive work. A sure starter against City.
    Rooney looked devastating last night aswell. Really getting sharp and lean, granted a ropey incident that should have resulted in a goal, can be forgiven, was really REALLY good.

RVP is still a little concerning for me, hopefully the goal settles him. His miss was just one of those things, but I've noticed him not holding the ball up as well, being petulant and not as incredible this term. Nothing to panic over, everyone has a dip in form. He is still scoring goals which is amazing, but it just seems like he is a little below his own high standards. Hopefully can ramp up now.

RVP and Rooney partnership has the potential to be devastating, and I mean, the difference of firing us to a league title.

Exellent Post. Impressed with Fellaini , very handy to have him when there is a long ball in the air. He gets them everytime. that will help United big time this season. His presence was important. He makes opponent aware that United midfield will not be bullied. Like what Keano did in his United and Forest years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Story is that money was there for Bale but he wanted Madrid and Levy preferred not to sell to an English club.

BTW,did anyone spot the funny dance guy doing his thing at the game last night,spotted him at one point in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Anyone know what this will mean:

Andy Green‏@andersred6m
    Forget the results, real #MUFC financial news is SEC filing paving way for Glazers to sell $391m more shares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Full results here: http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130918-903852.html

The £363.2 million is expected to exceed £420 million in the coming year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Loved the game last night. Fellaini was a beast. Felt Kagawa was a bit lost at times, looking a bit out of shape (given hes only over the flu) but still having some excellent touches. The game was really helped by Tony V finding his foot, and even Young looking lively coming from the wing late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Anyone know what this will mean:

Andy Green‏@andersred6m
    Forget the results, real #MUFC financial news is SEC filing paving way for Glazers to sell $391m more shares

Sounds like more of the club will go from the control of the glazers into the hands of shareholders.
    Glazers to still have a large controlling interest.

That is my take on it.

$391 million give or take for the Glazers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sounds like more of the club will go from the control of the glazers into the hands of shareholders.

That is my take on it.

how much did the glazers take out of the last ipo for themselves?

also, i think these shares are non exec, so in essence, have no ruling role in the club as such or am i wrong here??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote: »
    Anyone think we'll ever see something like this, ever?

De Gea
    Raf
    Vidic
    Jones---Evra
    Fellaini---Carrick

Kagawa
    Nani
    Rooney

RVP

Not a million miles off this last night. Back 4 and Valencia\Nani the differences.

What do people think of this team, in (a) champions league and (b) top 4 premier league clashes?

Anyone worried about Rio v City this weekend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If Rafa or Jones is back for the weekend then I'd say Smalling will start against City alongside Vidic.

Rio, at his age, needs to be rested. I think his performance last night showed that. Plus we'll need some pace at the back against City.

What's the story with Evans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

how much did the glazers take out of the last ipo for themselves?

also, i think these shares are non exec, so in essence, have no ruling role in the club as such or am i wrong here??

From looking it up, the Glazers took half of about £210 million raised, United got the other half minus the expenses of the IPO, estimated £73 million.

Class A shares, said to be inferior and given the Glazers own 90% of the club, it means you own some shares in the club but have no say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Was just going to ask that - Anyone any ideas what the Evans situation is?

Schmichael
    Irwin
    Pallister
    Vidic
    Evra
    Keano
    Bobby Charlton----Robson--
    Ronaldo
    Best
    Law.

My United team.

Schmichael
    Irwin
    Pallister
    Vidic
    Evra
    Keano
    Bobby Charlton----Robson---Ronaldo
    Best
    Law.

My United team.

Keano on the right wing?? :)

master-t wrote: »
    Keano on the right wing?? :)
    lol... I mean they all in the midfield except Ronaldo to go either wing and the attack midfielder.. Will change or edit my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

NTMK wrote: »
    its not been hidden from what i can see. They're just slowly chipping at it because its in their interest to hold onto the debt for as long as possible for tax purposes

The club is also estimated to be worth at least 3 times more than what it was when the glazers tookover so the debt has decreased in significance since its below 20% of valuation of the club as opposed to 80-90% back a few years ago

The Glazers were (or maybe still are) claiming this, but it is not true. The tax savings from holding the debt are relatively tiny compared to the costs of servicing the debt each year.

• Advertisement

Mine would be simple:

Schmeichel

Neville
    Bruce
    Vidic
    Irwin

Ronaldo
    Keane----Charlton
    Best

Ruud----Law

Subs: VDS, Evra, Stam, Robson, Giggs, Scholes, Cantona

Mine would be simple:

Schmeichel

Neville
    Bruce
    Vidic
    Irwin

Ronaldo
    Keane----Charlton
    Best

Ruud----Law

Subs: VDS, Evra, Stam, Robson, Giggs, Scholes, Cantona

Our mind alike.. We have 8 same players in our team. Forgot about Cantona, i will put him on the sub just in case Best is off to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »

That is my take on it.

That would be my take too - one of the kids wanting to sell their portion, I expect.

Hopefully it will be partially used to pay down the debt, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Was just going to ask that - Anyone any ideas what the Evans situation is?

id expect him to start on sunday, no way will Rio play 3 games in 9 days, didnt expect him to play last night.

in saying that,if Rafael is fit, we could see Rafael_Vidic_Smalling_Evra.

as it stands, the back 4 against Liverpool will be a bit seconf as no way will he risk vidic there, but its a game that i think we need to win especially if we dont win on sunday.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

That would be my take too - one of the kids wanting to sell their portion, I expect.

Hopefully it will be partially used to pay down the debt, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

definite exit strategy by one or all

• Advertisement

id expect him to start on sunday, no way will Rio play 3 games in 9 days, didnt expect him to play last night.

in saying that,if Rafael is fit, we could see Rafael_Vidic_Smalling_Evra.

as it stands, the back 4 against Liverpool will be a bit seconf as no way will he risk vidic there, but its a game that i think we need to win especially if we dont win on sunday.

So annoying that Fellaini is cup tied for the Liverpool game, just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Pro. F wrote: »
    The Glazers were (or maybe still are) claiming this, but it is not true. The tax savings from holding the debt are relatively tiny compared to the costs of servicing the debt each year.

Never heard it from the glazers but isnt there a point not too far away where debt servicing is cheaper than paying tax on turnover

It might be a couple years down the road still though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Would be shocked if Rio didn't play against City. Last night would have been the game he was rested in if Moyes was concerned about his fitness, imo.

Would expect the exact same team as last night, with the possibility of Nani, Young or even Cleverley (to help pack the midfield even more) in for Kagawa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

A poster from Redcafe sent Ed Woodward an email about our summer transfer business and got this response.

g5voCjr.jpg

Apparently the club has confirmed it is real according to this Mirror article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-write-back-worried-2280548#.UjjYVBozBFs.twitter
    United confirmed the letter, signed on behalf of director of communications Phil Townsend, had come from the club and insisted it was standard procedure to respond to fans who write in on a variety of topics concerning club business.
    A spokesman said: "The reply went to those who wrote to Ed Woodward and people who sent emails to the enquiries inbox. We have a responsibility under our Club Charter to respond to all correspondence in 15 working days."

This part was interesting
    Additional resources were there to add to that but it was not possible to agree with other clubs for the right players to leave.
    I wonder who they couldn't ship out?

Fake or not, I don't know but there you have it.

NTMK wrote: »
    Never heard it from the glazers but isnt there a point not too far away where debt servicing is cheaper than paying tax on turnover

It might be a couple years down the road still though

I'm going from memory of an Andersred article so I can't remember the figures exactly. My memory is that the tax saving was <10 or 20m. So that point where the debt is profitable would still be a long way off. Or it could actually never come if the tax saving is a percentage of the debt.

A poster from Redcafe sent Ed Woodward an email about our summer transfer business and got this response.

g5voCjr.jpg

Apparently the club has confirmed it is real according to this Mirror article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-write-back-worried-2280548#.UjjYVBozBFs.twitter

This part was interesting
    I wonder who they couldn't ship out?

Fake or not, I don't know but there you have it.

I'd have thought they mean for the right players to leave the other club - Ronaldo, Fabregas, Modric, Herrera.

Otherwise the sentence doesn't really make sense - resources were there buy only if we sold the right players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd have thought they mean for the right players to leave the other club - Ronaldo, Fabregas, Modric, Herrera.

Otherwise the sentence doesn't really make sense - resources were there buy only if we sold the right players?

This was my understanding of the phrase too.

Moyes isn't the type to rotate CBs like Fergie was. If Rio is going to be dropped it will be in a much less important game than the one against City imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pro. F wrote: »
    Moyes isn't the type to rotate CBs like Fergie was. If Rio is going to be dropped it will be in a much less important game than the one against City imo.

Ya, and it's a good thing for the team, obviously.

The downside is that Evans, Jones and Smalling are really going to struggle to get games this season if Rio/Vidic stay fit. And people believed the Garay rumours!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

So annoying that Fellaini is cup tied for the Liverpool game, just stupid.

:mad:
    I had never thought about that.
    Does that mean he is cup tied for Fa Cup this season too?

Makes waiting until the last minute like they did even more of a disaster now.

• Advertisement

:mad:
    I had never thought about that.
    Does that mean he is cup tied for Fa Cup this season too?

Makes waiting until the last minute like they did even more of a disaster now.

No - only cup tied in League Cup because he played in it for Everton. Came of the subs bench, in extra time.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    This was my understanding of the phrase too.

I read it in haste originally on my phone but on re-reading, yeah I can see your both right.

It looks like we were 100% in for Bale from other sources I'm reading and the only reason we didn't get him is because he wanted to join Madrid ie the price Levy was asking for was him was not a problem. I guess it means we have a very healthy transfer kitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

First post on this forum so hello to my fellow reds.

The criticism of Kagawa is a bit harsh. I think his performance last night had a lot of positives. It will take some time for him to gel into the team and into the free role Moyes is giving him. He's not a winger and shouldn't be played as one. Give him a bit of time and I'm sure we will see the best of him.

The jury is still out on Valencia. He had a great game last night and it was great to see him attacking players again but the fact is his crossing is piss poor. It's not forgivable for a winger to finely execute 1 cross in 10. If he continues in that vein he should be relegated to right back.

Rafael is our only true right back so it would be nice to have a second option there and Valencia has already performed this role to a reasonable standard. Him and Nani overlapping on the right could be strong as well. Zaha is not ready for first team football yet but like Januzaj he should get game time whenever possible.

Rio has been our biggest weakness at the back in the last few games. The majority of mistakes are coming from him and it's leading to goals conceded. It's nowhere near solid enough and it's happening more often every year with him. I think he's past it. Jones, Smalling and Evans should be competing for first choice CB alongside Vidic. They are all ready to take over.

Anderson and Giggs should see very little game time this season. Giggs is a legend and should get the game time he needs to beat the last few records in what should be his final season but Anderson should be sold asap. He's been given more than enough chances and has never proven himself. Chalk it up as a loss and move on.

Young is another winger who seems to have lost the ability to deliver good crosses and his consistent diving is an embarrassment. If he doesn't get his act together this season he should be shown the door or relegated to second choice behind Januzaj or Kagawa. It's nice that we have several options for every position on the pitch though. Competition is healthy and you really need 2 good teams if you want to compete on all fronts.
    United announce record turnover of £363 million.

f*cking hell, that is insane money. makes the penny penching all summer even more strange.

Hardly penny pinching. They tried to sign several top quality players including a possible 80 million bid to get ronny back.
    near 71million spent on FINANCING last in the year. Debt still standing at near 400million. FU Glazers. bunch of leaching gits. Debt still standing at near 400million

This won't be a popular comment but in fairness the club is being run superbly as a business and the funds are there to get players that we want. We could do a lot worse than the Glazers. They are good business men. I would like to see us competing more for top players like Bayern, Real and Barcelona do but the reality is a lot of foreign players would much sooner go to Spain or Germany than England.

It's not a club thing but a regional thing. It's not like we haven't tried though with moves for Thiago, Fabregas and reportedly Ronny and Bale. As it stands though we have potentially the strongest team we've had in quite some time. Definitely one of the best teams of the past 20 years. Things could be a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

No - only cup tied in League Cup because he played in it for Everton. Came of the subs bench, in extra time.

Another reason not to leave your transfer buisness till the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

BloodBath wrote: »
    First post on this forum so hello to my fellow reds.

Yay, PC building and upgrading forum guy!! Welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

First time since Hargo Ive seen a midfielder muscle himself between a player and the ball. Fellaini I think you and I are gonna get on just fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'd just like to stop by to welcome back Antonio Valencia's ability to play football. Last seen on 3 April 2012 at Edwood Park. Welcome back to MUFC.... it's been too long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't jinx him.

You're still shíte, Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

TheDoc wrote: »
    RVP is still a little concerning for me, hopefully the goal settles him. His miss was just one of those things, but I've noticed him not holding the ball up as well, being petulant and not as incredible this term. Nothing to panic over, everyone has a dip in form. He is still scoring goals which is amazing, but it just seems like he is a little below his own high standards. Hopefully can ramp up now.

RVP and Rooney partnership has the potential to be devastating, and I mean, the difference of firing us to a league title.

RVP looked a little slower than usual when going for some balls. He wasn't getting out in front of the defender at times and was just able to poke a leg at it. He reminded me of myself :pac:.

I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing. He is still one of the best players in the world at holding up the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Another reason not to leave your transfer buisness till the last minute.

Tbf, even though it's Liverpool, I wouldn't want Fellaini anywhere near a League Cup side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, even though it's Liverpool, I wouldn't want Fellaini anywhere near a League Cup side.

True, as long as he's not cup tied for the FA Cup then I don't see it as being a major disaster. But it does once again highlight why the deal to sign Fellani should have been completed much sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

David Moyes record vs ManCity since 2008:
    W9
    D1
    L2

I knew he had a good record against them but didn't think it was that good!

if he keeps up that record on sunday, it will go along way to making the next 6 months of his job alot easier.

id take a draw but the fact they were away from home this week, gives us a slight advantage, though its a pity it wasnt a saturday morning game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

What a bizarre start to the season. Nothing seems to be going as expected for anyone.

At least Jamie Carragher is maintaining his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Zico wrote: »
    At least Jamie Carragher is maintaining his form.

Was he talking more rubbish tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

If you're talking purely football, based on our options, Benitez probably would've been the manager to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Dunphy the old troll just after saying SAF said last season out on the pitch at OT "On live TV Bill" that Rooney has to go :)

Keep sipping that water Eammon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

How would you guys feel about nuri sahin being signed and being the long term replacement for carrick ? Left on the bench at real and completely misused at Liverpool I still think he's a class player , at Liverpool he was played as behind the striker midfielder like Ozil or kagawa , it's no wonder he failed there because he is a deep lying creative cm like pirlo or alonso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Was he talking more rubbish tonight?

Probably.

I just caught his views on Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes on Youtube. Very predictable, there was more chance of Liam Brady criticising Arsene Wenger than Carragher acknowledging any of Gerrards significant failings.

Klopp got sent off tonight for this lol

iOfqC2Ibg5sze.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement