Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Klopp got sent off tonight for this lol

iOfqC2Ibg5sze.gif

He should get a lengthy ban for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Klopp got sent off tonight for this lol

iOfqC2Ibg5sze.gif

He looks a bit like Dwight Schrute there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

And compensate the official for the pair of jocks that got ruined!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Agreed, and Van Persie should have been sent off on Tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Agreed, and Van Persie should have been sent off on Tuesday night.

:D

good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

quotes from Fellani, RVP and Rooney seem to suggest that the training at United is of a quicker and more intense standard than they have seen before.

seems to be all positive from that sense, hopefully Tuesday was a sign its starting to pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

quotes from Fellani, RVP and Rooney seem to suggest that the training at United is of a quicker and more intense standard than they have seen before.

seems to be all positive from that sense, hopefully Tuesday was a sign its starting to pay off.

Thats good to hear, seems strange for Feeaini to think that considering he worked with most of the backroom staff already. Maybe the set up in quality of player's from Everton is adding to the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Also good to hear Rooney saying what Moyes really meant with "We need Rooney when RVP is not available" instead of going with the "Twisted one" words.

That Moyes has made it clear that both will be playing in tandem and with one upfront other will drop deeper.
    Moyes made it clear when he joined the club that he saw Rooney and Van Persie working in tandem, a contrast to the perception that it would be one or the other in the key fixtures.

This was the fear Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho attempted to exploit when suggesting Rooney needed to be a ‘first choice’.

Asked if there was a ‘senior’ player in their partnership, Rooney said: “No. I have seen things said over the summer but me and Robin are friends off the pitch. There is no problem between me and Robin at all. We are great friends and we want to help each other and be successful.

“I think the manager has made it clear that he wants one up and one behind and whatever way round that is it doesn’t matter to me.

"It doesn’t matter as long as one is always filling in behind and helping out the midfield. We have done the work together and the times we played together last season we did well so hopefully we can play more together this season and do well. We dovetail well and try and help each other score goals.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10318642/Manchester-United-and-Wayne-Rooney-form-a-civil-partnership-again.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Also good to hear Rooney saying what Moyes really meant with "We need Rooney when RVP is not available" instead of going with the "Twisted one" words.

That Moyes has made it clear that both will be playing in tandem and with one upfront other will drop deeper.

Along with Rooney saying training under Moyes is great and intense and really good for him, and how playing for Moyes again is great cause he is a brilliant manager and deserves the United job - I smell a new contract for Rooney coming very, very soon.

If a new contract is being discussed/agreed (and it is purely speculation on my part) then I would guess United will want it signed before Ferguson's book comes out cause that has the potential to open the gates on this mess again, and that really isn't in United's interests whatever way you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I can't see Ferguson's book being as honest about these things as a good book should be. He's on the board at Man Utd after all so I don't think he's going to write anything too negative about the club or players.

• Advertisement

Along with Rooney saying training under Moyes is great and intense and really good for him, and how playing for Moyes again is great cause he is a brilliant manager and deserves the United job - I smell a new contract for Rooney coming very, very soon.

If a new contract is being discussed/agreed (and it is purely speculation on my part) then I would guess United will want it signed before Ferguson's book comes out cause that has the potential to open the gates on this mess again, and that really isn't in United's interests whatever way you look at it.

Yeah, it's good to hear about him talking about traiing after all the BS that was posted in few papers.

Also good to hear him talking positively about RVP and vice versa. There were few posts about how they are not passing to each other.

It was a good interview and if we have any intention of offering him new contract then like you said it should be done before the book is released. I'm not sure it's the right time to relesae the club, it might upset few players and might make Moyes job even harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Woodward speaking about our finances
    Ed Woodward, executive vice chairman of Manchester United said: “We are very proud of our results for fiscal 2013. It has been a little over a year since our IPO (initial public offering) and in that time we have delivered on our targets and objectives.

“Our commercial business continues to be a very powerful engine of growth, enabling the team to continue to be successful. We won our 20th English league title last season and are delighted to have David Moyes lead our football team into a new and exciting chapter. We look forward to a successful 2013/14, both on and off the pitch.”

The figures show that while United continue to perform well on and off the pitch, they remain in a strong position to apply the rules of Financial Fair Play.
    An early exit from the Champions League at the last-16 stage meant a drop of 2.3 per cent in broadcast
    revenue, but they still raised £101.6 million.
    With the new television broadcasting deal kicking in this season, this too should increase next summer if United exit the group stages.
    United also boast £109.1 million a year from match day revenue, the highest in the Premier League, although this was in part a consequence of hosting Olympic fixtures.
    United did lose £6.2 million from what, for them, is a rare source in 2013 – the termination of coaching staff contracts.
    The retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson led to the departure of the backroom team of Mike Phelan, Rene Meulensteen and Eric Steele, all of whom still had the lengths of their contracts to run. They were paid up to enable David Moyes to appoint his own coaching team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10319115/Manchester-Uniteds-financial-strength-the-envy-of-the-Premier-League-after-latest-figures-released.html

mewe wrote: »
    He looks a bit like Dwight Schrute there! :D

I know this is wrong but did anyone else have a mental picture of him in an SS uniform whilst watching that?

Mein Gott!

iZPSX3YHiKuWm.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

iZPSX3YHiKuWm.gif

I remember watching that during the match and chuckling. What was he at? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Creating space?? :D

Trolling the defender

"I'm gonna cross, really now I'm gonna cross, here come the cross. Nah only Kidding!" Lays it off to Evra which led to Rooney's first iirc

Yeah but he had space after the third turn, the rest seemed like overkill! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

iZPSX3YHiKuWm.gif

He's worse than Valencia.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    He's worse than Valencia.

Rubbish, he touched the ball with both feet. And failed to blast it at the defender. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

During the summer I was one of those thinking Rooney might be best shipped out if his heart wasn't in it anymore. I'm glad Moyes et al knew better, if he keeps up his current form, he seems rejuvenated at the minute.

During the summer I was one of those thinking Rooney might be best shipped out if his heart wasn't in it anymore. I'm glad Moyes et al knew better, if he keeps up his current form, he seems rejuvenated at the minute.

He even skidded on his knees after his (second?) goal on Saturday. Looked genuinely happy, which is good to see. I don't have much time for him as a person, but certainly want him playing for United and in a good place mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

What a player! A United with Rooney and RVP on the top of their game, add in a Full fit Nani, A 2012 Valencia and Carrick and Fellaini, with the first choice back five, its a better 11 than any in the prem league personally!

I'm loving the state of Chelsea at the moment. The amount of people telling me with absolute certainty that United would be lucky to get third this season before a ball had been kicked. United look like they haven't come close to hitting form yet and they've still been miles ahead of City and Chelsea. A win on Sunday and I can go around and give the finger to all those people.

In regards to RVP, I posted about him in the match thread Tuesday night about how things don't look 100% with him and to an extent between him and Rooney.

Maybe its me reading into it a bit much but there seems to be something off with them both working together perfectly. They smile and celebrate together but I get the impression that there is a kind of unhealthy competition between them.

When Rooney rounded the keeper he had a simple lay off to RVP but went for goal. He did similar against Chelsea and RVP the other night had a shot drag wide when Rooney was square. Rooney explained in his post match interview that he was in two minds whether to shoot or pass but if all is good between players and passing is the best team option then you pass instinctually.

Rooney was used to being the main striker and when RVP arrived he stole his thunder a little. I know Rooney was used to it when Ronnie was here but maybe he felt he felt he was no.1 again when Ronnie left. Now RVP gets a lot of that service.

RVP has also seemed a little off lately. He seems very pissed off in most matches. This the other night was very bad to see

xCY0H62.gif

Throughout his career When he's not winning/scoring and times are tough, he loses his ****.
    It's a terrible quality to have in a forward, especially someone as influential as RVP. He is under a spotlight, and what he does reflects onto the team as a whole ala Young.

The things is we are doing well and winning but he still looks like he could explode at any given moment. Like Rooney he was used to being the top dog at Arsenal but now we have two very good strikers with nothing to separate them up front and two big ego's to boot. RVP wants all the balls so to say as does Rooney.

Right now its not a problem and we won 4-2 with this on display. It's something thats simmering under the surface but it could come back to bite us in a big EPL or UCL match where there is nothing to separate the teams.

• Advertisement

RVP has always been quite hot headed, he doesn't know how to hold his tongue. I really wouldn't read anything into that personally.

The weird shoot-or-pass decision I would just put down to lack of game time.

RVP has also seemed a little off lately. He seems very pissed off in most matches. This the other night was very bad to see

xCY0H62.gif

RVP was always hot headed. It was surprising that he didn't do anything stupid last season.

Red card against Stoke for a childish foul, spat with Tim Krul and there are many more incidents when he was involed with these heated arguments.

It's just that people are reading too much into it now.

Same with patnership with Rooney. Strikers are always selfish and when they see open goal, they go for goal often than square it.

Part of the RVP issue there - imo - is that the defender deliberately through himself into RVP to injure/hurt him in retaliation for the initial foul. I reckon RVP was pissed the defender had, basically, attacked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Van Persie was just pissed that the defender got the free out for one of the most ridiculous dives you'll ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

While watching that incident with van persie the other night, I felt the referee approached him very 'confrontationally'.
    It was the type of schoolmaster refereeing that makes my blood boil.
    The best referees are ones that talk to players, explain their decisions.

Van Persie should not have gotten so close to him, but the same should be said to the ref, especially not in the manger he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

How do ye think the team will line up on Sunday? Will see Young back in the starting line up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Absolutely sickened that the city game is on at 4pm Sunday, being in mayo for the weekend and forced to watch in the pub I know what I'll end up watching.

Ah well theres, always the Sunday game.

How do ye think the team will line up on Sunday? Will see Young back in the starting line up?

De Gea
    Rafael---Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra
    Carrick---Fellaini
    Valencia----Rooney----Young
    RVP

With Young and Valencia player as more traditional wingers, and Rooney possibly helping the midfield out a bit more if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

De Gea
    Rafael---Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra
    Carrick---Fellaini
    Valencia----Rooney----Young
    RVP

With Young and Valencia player as more traditional wingers, and Rooney possibly helping the midfield out a bit more if required.

Is Rafael fit yet?

Blatter wrote: »
    Is Rafael fit yet?

Was back in training end of last week I think.

If not him then I suppose it will be Smalling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jesse Lingard off to Birmingham for a month. Hope he does well. Great little player. But think he will be a late developer like Cleverly.

Lingard gone on Loan to Birmingham for one month.

not sure what the point of these is, sending him until january would surely be better for him, stability and a chance to get a run, though like Macheda i assume there is an option to extend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Powell starting tonight in europe for Wigan.

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 4m
    In other loan news, Wigan boss Owen Coyle has confirmed @NPowell25 will start in their Europa League fixture tonight. Good luck, Nick.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lingard gone on Loan to Birmingham for one month.

not sure what the point of these is, sending him until january would surely be better for him, stability and a chance to get a run, though like Macheda i assume there is an option to extend.

Makes sense for both parties. If he does well it will be extended. If he doesn't he can come back and train better than he would elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

bullvine wrote: »
    What a player! A United with Rooney and RVP on the top of their game, add in a Full fit Nani, A 2012 Valencia and Carrick and Fellaini, with the first choice back five, its a better 11 than any in the prem league personally!

He had one good game after a year of some of the worst footballing displays I have ever seen. I wouldn't jump the gun.

• Advertisement

He had one good game after a year of some of the worst footballing displays I have ever seen. I wouldn't jump the gun.

One 'good' game in which his final ball was still irritatingly poor on all but 2 occassions - and the second one was just a typical 'just drill it and hope for the best' cross that we had seen in the rest of the game, just this time RVP was there (and missed a sitter)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That would be great experience for Nick Powell. Coverage starts on BT Sports 1 at 530 for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hold on, I never said he was back to his old self. What I meant was if he does come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭recyclops

Just got a call from eason there offering me another tkt for the fergie thing as i was trying to buy two in the firsrt place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

That would be great experience for Nick Powell. Coverage starts on BT Sports 1 at 530 for anyone interested.

Looks like he's starting up front. Not ideal but at least its game time.

anybody know how Herrara has been playing over the last 2-3 weeks since the whole deadline day saga?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Looks like he's starting up front. Not ideal but at least its game time.

Wigan are pretty poor. Powell really isn't having any luck with getting suitable football since he came to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Is Powell playing as a striker for Wigan?

Owen_S wrote: »
    Is Powell playing as a striker for Wigan?

It says that 3 posts up from yours!

• Advertisement

Some quotes from Fergie on Rooney (Telegraph)
    Ferguson, speaking publicly about the Manchester United forward for the first time since claiming the player wanted to leave the club at the end of last season, broke his silence on Rooney on MUTV in the wake of the player’s two-goal performance in Tuesday’s 4-2 Champions League victory over Bayer Leverkusen.

And with Rooney understood to regard Ferguson’s comments at the end of last season as the central factor in his determination to leave United this summer, the Scot’s remarks could now ease the tension between the two men and diminish the prospect of the 27-year-old pursuing a transfer in January.

"I thought Wayne was fantastic [on Tuesday],” Ferguson said. “He's got his energy back, his determination, his purpose to attack.

"Being a director, I'm delighted (to see Rooney play well) He's back to what we always remember."

Ferguson’s relationship with Rooney deteriorated throughout last season, with the former United manager making repeated comments about the player’s fitness and form.

Although the England forward did not speak out against his manager, Ferguson’s decision to drop Rooney for the crucial Champions League clash against Real Madrid in March escalated the rift between the two men.

By overlooking Rooney for other games in the run-in to the title, Ferguson seemingly set in motion the player’s departure from the club.

However, with David Moyes succeeding Ferguson following his retirement at the end of last season, the change of management has led to the player being given a fresh start at the club.

And although his future remains unclear, United are planning to open contract talks during the winter in an effort to extend the player’s deal beyond the summer of 2015.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement