Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

surprised no mention of the stock/share price was mentioned today. anybody know how that was effected, if at all, but yesterdays deals?

im sure the fact that United are about to announce turnover of almost £350million pounds will see it go up if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

v3ttel wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned already, but Vincent Kompany tweeted this to Fellaini earlier:

He is one City player that I genuinely like. The lad is a absolutely world class player, seems like he has a great attitude. Nice to see a bit of banter between players.
    Kompany is over rated.City defensively will be poor. Seems a good leader but over rated as a defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

wadacrack wrote: »
    Kompany is over rated.City defensively will be poor. Seems a good leader but over rated as a defender

Kompany is not overrated, City are shocking at the back without him. He is a brilliant captain and player and would walk into any team in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How about not leaving things to the last minutes of the window to get deals tied up? Or is that asking too much of United?

I suppose if you look at in the context of a 90 minute match.
    Why did United leave it so late in all those games in the past number of decades when they could have scored far earlier in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

surprised no mention of the stock/share price was mentioned today. anybody know how that was effected, if at all, but yesterdays deals?

im sure the fact that United are about to announce turnover of almost £350million pounds will see it go up if anything.

no share price change yet as it was Labour day yesterday in the states iirc stock market opens in 20 minutes though so we'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

v3ttel wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned already, but Vincent Kompany tweeted this to Fellaini earlier:

He is one City player that I genuinely like. The lad is a absolutely world class player, seems like he has a great attitude. Nice to see a bit of banter between players.

Ya Kompany is a top guy and a excellent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on boards. Kompany is a legend and he is, without doubt, (along with Aguero) the most envious part of the City squad. He is an absolute machine at center back. Kompany and Vidic would be unstoppable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kippy wrote: »
    Why did United leave it so late in all those games in the past number of decades when they could have scored far earlier in the game.

Yeah - that analogy makes perfect sense.

Assuming we spent the other 90minutes trying to score by simply asking the opposition to let us walk past them. Or took a shot, missed and then left the ball with De Gea for 20minutes while we came up with a new plan on how to attack. Or put the ball on the line and then argued over which player was going to kick it over the line.

Kompany is a good defender but they're are better. Thiago Silva, D.Agger, D.Luiz and Dante.Dont think Kompany deals with mobile attackers very well..Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Kompany is a good defender but they're are better. Thiago Silva, D.Agger, D.Luiz and Dante.Dont think Kompany deals with mobile attackers very well..Just my opinion

Thiago Silva is the only one that is as good as Kompany there. The other 3 aren't near Kompanys level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I think big players will not be attracted to playing under Moyes.
    I don't think there will be much difference in the level of player Moyes attracts as Fergie did.
    I'd have been willing to put my house on Özil choosing United over Arsenal if they were interested enough. I say United over Arsenal and not Moyes over Wenger because that's just the way it is in almost every transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Simply Red wrote: »
    Glad that summer is over, serious questions need to be asked now at the way we went about our transfers. Very happy to have finally gotten fellaini though, I think he'll be a great addition to the team, will give carrick that little bit of confidence to push up the field knowing he has solid cover beside him, carrick is very good creatively.
    If rooney is still injured for palace, id love us to give zaha a chance and go with

carrick
    fellaini

nani
    kagawa
    zaha

RVP

Was very impressed with zaha in pre-season and think he should get a chance, also gives kags a chance in his preferred position

Realistically speaking what are the chances of moyes actually playing that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I couldn't possibly disagree with you any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Agger!

Rofl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Don't post often but D.luiz better then Kompany........Ridiculously silly post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I lol'd at Agger, seriously overated. Kompany is the best on the planet with exception of a fit Vidic and Silva maybe..

Agger and Luiz are not better than Kompany. No effing way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Are the tears still flowing in here?

Oh my lord.
    OMGRalph_Furley.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

As long as we put him in front of the first defender so the ball gets to him.

or past the last one on the end line at the far edge of the area :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Looking back on yesterday with a clear head, I think Fellaini is a good signing. Maybe not the best player we could have had but he is a good DM, which is something we've needed. However, he should have been bought long ago. Even if Fabregas was the priority that deal died a long time ago. On top of that we are thin at CM so there's no reason why we couldn't have bought both. Giggs will retire this season and that will leave us with Carrick, Clev, Ando, Fellaini and Powell as options. With Ando being Ando and Powell unproven at PL level another CM would not have gone amiss. The club even proved this by trying for Herrera.

Whilst I like that United are not like Chelsea or other clubs that just throw money around, football has got to the stage where sometimes you need to overpay for a quality player. I hope the club has learned that and we act intelligently in the next transfer window.

Khedira confirms failed bid
    Madrid, having signed Gareth Bale from Tottenham Hotspur for a world-record fee, agreed to sell Mesut Ozil to Arsenal for €50 million on Monday, but United’s attempts to sign Khedira ended in failure.

“The club turned down the offer and that was it,” the 26-year-old told a press conference for the German national team in Munich on Tuesday. “We didn’t really have the chance to discuss it. I had a longer chat with Carlo Ancelotti a few weeks ago and it was relatively clear to me that I’d stay at Real.”

€40 million for him is a bit mental tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I'd give you Thiago Silva alright but the other 3??? I don't know wa da crack is your smoking but I could do with some of that today. Pass it on.

skinny90 wrote: »

Yeah - needs more Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kippy wrote: »

That is a poor analogy tbh

Very poor

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Thiago Silva is the only one that is as good as Kompany there. The other 3 aren't near Kompanys level.
    Komany was poor in the CL.He struggled with the pace of the attackers that Madrid and Dortmund posses.Last season Of the seven league games he missed City lost 1, won 5 and had 2-3 clean sheets. Kompany of 11-12 was immense. But he hasnt looked as commanding since. He also still has to convince in Europe.Thiago Silva was brilliant against Barcelona last year lets not forgot

Is there an update on Rafael's hamstring injury? Will he start against Palace or will he be eased back in? I think I would rather see Tony V playing RB than Fabio due to his lack of gametime and Jones, even fit, makes me cringe at right back.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is there an update on Rafael's hamstring injury? Will he start against Palace or will he be eased back in? I think I would rather see Tony V playing RB than Fabio due to his lack of gametime and Jones, even fit, makes me cringe at right back.

I would prefer to see Fabio get his chance. Val is not a RB, although he is decent cover. Fabio showed before that he is a good player when given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Don't think I've ever posted a preferred XI, but sure why not....

de Gea
    Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra
    Carrick, Fellaini
    ----Nani, Rooney, Kagawa----
    van Persie

would be my preference.

Just have to keep the really vital players fit for the really vital games. (Simple isn't it :) )

The window was undoubtedly a disappointment, but I'm positive about our season, more so than I was yesterday.

jsysus this just gets worse and worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I don't think he'll start Zaha. Might bring him on. Valencia and Nani on the wings I'd say.

He also has to keep Welbeck and Chico happy.

Al Capwned wrote: »

de Gea
    Carrick, Fellaini
    ----Nani, Rooney, Zaha----
    van Persie

would be my preference.

Just have to keep the really vital players fit for the really vital games. (Simple isn't it :) )

The window was undoubtedly a disappointment, but I'm positive about our season, more so than I was yesterday.

One change imo- I feel Kagawa on the wing is a complete waste. I would love him in the team, but he cannot play when Rooney is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Absolute zero chance, but I can dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I heard that and thought twas BS. Or maybe I was hoping it was.

crikey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

One change imo- I feel Kagawa on the wing is a complete waste. I would love him in the team, but he cannot play when Rooney is playing.

Some one posted earlier about Kagawa - not on the wing but from the wing.

Also I'm not sure if we're going to see a lot of Zaha this season. Or Januzaj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Wait..your talking about who has better hairstyle..surely??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Turning down €40M for him is even more mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It would not surprise me if United had only Fellaini as their target on the last day. The others, especially Herrera, might have been mostly just used to help their negotiations with Everton for Fellaini. Maybe once Fellaini was certain, they stopped the Herrera deal by not giving the lawyers the go-ahead; it should have been clear that they could not negotiate the buy-out down, so their excuse that "we thought the buy-out was the wrong valuation" does not ring true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Elro wrote: »
    I get he wasn't the top target but i would say he was definitely in the top 10. The top target was Fabregas but that was sorted by the first week in August and after that we had nothing until the Herrera bid as far as I remember. Apart from Fellaini/Baines of course.

We heard nothing, but that doesn't mean nothing was happening. Depending who you believe online, we were in for Fab, Thiago, Snedijer, Khedria, Modric, Pastore, DeRossi, Herrera....that's who I can remember off the top of my head, and limiting it to Central Midfield. If those are public, chances are there's a few who aren't as well. I fully accept Woodward failed in his job but I've seen nothing to suggest he, and United, simply did nothing for 6 weeks but twiddle our thumbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

KH25 wrote: »
    I would prefer to see Fabio get his chance. Val is not a RB, although he is decent cover. Fabio showed before that he is a good player when given the chance.

Exactly, think Fabio should be given a chance there. Was impressive enough in some games last season when given a chance and was excellent against City. Would like a bit more faith to be shown in him.

Rafael not expected back until the City game. Sept 22nd

• Advertisement

Chagan wrote: »
    Turning down €40M for him is even more mental

was it not just a case of it being too late to even discuss the transfer? how could we expect to get this done.

the smell of desperation off the club must have been unreal. first we had low ball bids for players way under their value, then we were willing to be paying way over the odds for players because we had f*cked up and left it too late.

baffling approach.

It would not surprise me if United had only Fellaini as their target on the last day. The others, especially Herrera, might have been mostly just used to help their negotiations with Everton for Fellaini. Maybe once Fellaini was certain, they stopped the Herrera deal by not giving the lawyers the go-ahead; it should have been clear that they could not negotiate the buy-out down, so their excuse that "we thought the buy-out was the wrong valuation" does not ring true.

Buy out clauses are the wrong valuation anyway. They make them higher than the players value to deter bids in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fab, Thiago, Snedijer, Khedria, Modric, Pastore, DeRossi, Herrera

Surely with a list that far ranging and none of them secured in the end constitutes twiddling your thumbs.

Anyone can out out a target list. Securing them is the hard part. And actually reaching their valuations is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Kagawa won't be an out and out winger, he will keep cutting inside and swopping positions and leave the space for evra out wide. Same as silva and mata. Having fellaini to cover allows the formation to be more flexible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RE: The Palace game.

I fully expect some experimentation. I can appreciate "playing it safe" for the big games but against a newly promoted side, I definitely think we should be giving Kagawa and Nani starts and trying a new formation to get players into the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

We need to get our best players on the pitch at the same time, Palace provides a good opportunity for that

Trilla wrote: »
    I don't think 80% of people want Woodward fired, from "what I read" :rolleyes:

so what do you think it is then? 50-50?

it wouldnt be far off 80% in my opinion, 70% at least as there really is no justification for him at this stage and people realise that. probably was 50-50 already before yesterday, but i would expect a 25%-30% swing, probably would have even be 90% last night at 11.00 before Fellani was signed.

Al Capwned wrote: »

de Gea
    Carrick, Fellaini
    ----Nani, Rooney, Kagawa----
    van Persie

would be my preference.

I think that is our strongest team too. Good options as backups in defence and front four, not so much with the two cms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Don't know if it was posted, Fellaini given No. 31.

• Advertisement

Fellaini has been given number 31.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement