Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Would you rather have Ashley Young in the first team, or David Bellion!!! :eek:

I really hate comments like these, you simply cannot pick one thing and then use it to say that everything is hunky dory. Thats why United are in this mess, because of the attitude of "Well, we won the league so its all ok".

"Well, we are only 3 points behind so its all ok". But it ain't ok. The transfer window was a load of bollocks, we haven't once played well this season and our team selections have been incredibly frustrating. We can either pretend that its all ok because we are still in contention, or accept the reality that we are not playing at all well and bloody well do something about.

Dropping that useless lump Valencia would be a start, but it seems his place is sacrosanct.

What????? Did you even read the comment you just quoted? I never said everything was OK. All I did was point out that despite the poor performances and annoying team selections everything isn't absolutely terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

and we also have already lost to our two biggest rivals,

we've only lost to City, who is the other rival :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Elro wrote: »
    Yes the performances have been disappointing and if they continue that way over the next 5-10 matches it'll become very worrying but we're not playing any more poorly than City or Chelsea and they've both had much easier starts than us.

I think we're playing a lot worse than either City or Chelsea. City looked impressive yesterday and as it stands would be my tip for the league.

I think Chelsea have also played well. Against Everton they dominated the game but just couldn't score. With games Eto will get fitter and no doubt score a few as the season progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

syngindub wrote: »
    we've only lost to City, who is the other rival :)

You saying Liverpool aren't a rival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Mars Bar wrote: »
    You saying Liverpool aren't a rival?

They are not a rival for the PL title! :pac:

• Advertisement

that's kinda the angle I was coming from. but you never know, we could be rivals this year for 5th or 6th I suppose :)

They are still a rival no less. We keep playing the way we are playing and they will be a rival!

Agree with many of the comments as many have mentioned about replacing some players. On the Defensive side, Baines looks like he would have been a great buy with his performances so far this season. What about Center Backs?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Danye wrote: »
    I think we're playing a lot worse than either City or Chelsea. City looked impressive yesterday and as it stands would be my tip for the league.

I think Chelsea have also played well. Against Everton they dominated the game but just couldn't score. With games Eto will get fitter and no doubt score a few as the season progresses.

I disagree, City were excellent yesterday but were very poor in the 3 league games before that. They were lucky to get a draw at Stoke and were fortunate against Hull as well.

Chelsea while they have played well for patches in all they're games so far over all IMO they have been very unconvincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We don't need defenders.

Our problem is we still have Young, Valencia and Welbeck playing in games against the top teams.

A clear out in January or next summer is needed, Young should be sold, Valencia and Welbeck can stay as squad players for the time being but we'd really want to be getting a top class attacking midfielder in, someone along the lines of Ozil/Reus standard. Then we'll need another CM. Carrick doesn't cut it against a high pressure team, if we want to get anywhere in Europe, we need to spend big on a CM.

• Advertisement

Elro wrote: »
    I disagree, City were excellent yesterday but were very poor in the 3 league games before that. They were lucky to get a draw at Stoke and were fortunate against Hull as well.

Chelsea while they have played well for patches in all they're games so far over all IMO they have been very unconvincing.

They where excellent against Newcastle and ourselves.

Average against Hull but still got the job done. I agree about Stokd though, lucky to get a point.

To win a title you also have to have the knack of winning or getting something from games even when playing poorly. Also as I mentioned above they've had two excellent performances against our none. Yesterday's win and performance will only improve City and you'd imagine they will kick on a gear now.

Again you might think Chelsea have been unconvincing bug they've been a lot more convincing then us so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Didn't see any of game or highlights,did any Utd players play reasonably well at all?

Didn't see any of game or highlights,did any Utd players play reasonably well at all?

Rooney did alright

Yeah Rooney would be the only player who played well. Cracking free kick he scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Our problem is we still have Young, Valencia and Welbeck playing in games against the top teams.

this is exactly it. to have Nani, Hernandez and Kagawa not even involved yesterday is just insane from Moyes.

the more i start to think about yesterday and the fact that we went 90 minutes against liverpool and chelsea and almost 90 minutes yesterday without even looking like scoring is just shocking.

the entire summer window has created a really bad mood in the club and Moyes brought alot of this on himself.....needlessly. hope to f*ck there were some home truths told behind the scenes today, as alot of people had their heads in the sand for the last 3 month and yesterday i hope, at least will be an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Rooney was tasked with running our attacking game and was pretty free from defensive responsibility. He was completely marked out of the match and gave up possession a lot. It's not right to say he played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

And there were people who wanted Rooney out. He does seem in the best shape of his career for a while and hes playing very very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rooney was tasked with running our attacking game and was pretty free from defensive responsibility. He was completely marked out of the match and gave up possession a lot. It's not right to say he played well.

He was Utds best player. He did get tightly marked and didn't get any joy out of Kompany but when he dropped deep he played some lovely cross field passes, looked our most dangerous player when he did find a bit of space and scored a perfect free kick.

I think he played well.

syngindub wrote: »
    What about Center Backs?

We have lots of them and don't need any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney was probably our only player who attacked yesterday, Welbeck was toothless as usual falling over himself, Young and Valencia were painfully blunt.

Kompany has a claim of being one of the best in the world when he's on form and he was close to that yesterday, give him one man to mark which will neutralise the opposition's attack and he'll do it every day of the week. Rooney hadn't a chance really, with RVP to link up with it would have been a lot harder for Kompany but with just Rooney on his own it was an easy day at work for him.

Kompany even got forward a fair few times.

• Advertisement

Easy on the language!!

I think the problem here is that you actually haven't got a fûcking clue what your talking about. You clearly have never played or coached (thankfully) Your the type of person who plays Fifa, Pro Evo or some other football game to try and gain football knowledge and pass it off here as if you know what your talking about!

The most cringe worthy stuff I have read so far this season.
    You should be embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

this is exactly it. to have Nani, Hernandez and Kagawa not even involved yesterday is just insane from Moyes.

the more i start to think about yesterday and the fact that we went 90 minutes against liverpool and chelsea and almost 90 minutes yesterday without even looking like scoring is just shocking.

the entire summer window has created a really bad mood in the club and Moyes brought alot of this on himself.....needlessly. hope to f*ck there were some home truths told behind the scenes today, as alot of people had their heads in the sand for the last 3 month and yesterday i hope, at least will be an eye opener.

Fergie did this plenty too. Makes me wonder is the wide culture of UTD just something so ingrained at the club that nobody wants to change or these players are not impressing in training. I can't think why they are not given a shot.

I would like to see Januzaj get some game time. He was excellent against Palace. Moyes ideas about our strongest eleven are not that disimilar to Fergies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Moyes ideas about our strongest eleven are not that disimilar to Fergies

Maybe Alex is too involved. Poor David. You do feel for him in times like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If your system can't accommodate a player like Kagawa, your system is probably the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

If your system can't accommodate a player like Kagawa, your system is probably the problem

What if you have Rooney and RVP as well though? Not the worst thing to have difficult decisions to make. Hopefully Shinji starts on Wednesday, alongside Zaha, Adnan, Hernandez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What if you have Rooney and RVP as well though? Not the worst thing to have difficult decisions to make. Hopefully Shinji starts on Wednesday, alongside Zaha, Adnan, Hernandez.

What if you have Robben, Ribery, Muller, Kroos, Gotse etc.? You rotate them. Not leave a top class player rotting on the bench while the team flounders with inferior players on the bench. It's been too long since I've derived much pleasure from watching United play. It's becoming like a chore. Everything is so laboured and players don't look like they are giving their all, ironically bar the one that wants to leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And there were people who wanted Rooney out. He does seem in the best shape of his career for a while and hes playing very very well.

I was one of them, and I havn't clapped cheered or applauded any of his goals this season. And I won't.

I'll acknowledge his good play, but I won't applaud it. For the second time he tried to swindle a new contract out of the club, or a big money move. He is associated with one of the worst agents in football, and we will soon see why all the summer ruckus was about, a new fat bumper contract.

And let's not forget, Rooney got a loyalty bonus at the start of this season. And will most likely get a new contract this season, which means **** all since he could still force a move in the summer.

Breaks the record or not, carries us to the title or not, this man has stained the legacy he had with this club in my eyes, and I think it is a sad state of football fans in general, and shows what a fickle mob fans are, that a few goals and running around makes it all forgotten.

Might be a personal thing, I was disgusted with Roy Keane leavig in Saipan, and then I was ashamed at the FAI for having him back. I don't buy into that ****e of supporting the player cause hes in the shirt. Rooney in my eyes is being led around by a money hungry agent, and hasn't a brain to think for himself. Any half-wit would know the legacy he could leave at the club would surpass any money, and would stand the test of time.

He has destroyed that for himself in my view, and I'll never mention him in the same breathe as the clubs greats.

ive a spare ticket for tomorrow night if anybody is looking for one.....

its a must win game, no excuses - we cannot go another big game without winning this season, weve already failed to win 3 out of 3 and its time this was ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

TheDoc wrote: »
    I was one of them, and I havn't clapped cheered or applauded any of his goals this season. And I won't.

I'll acknowledge his good play, but I won't applaud it. For the second time he tried to swindle a new contract out of the club, or a big money move. He is associated with one of the worst agents in football, and we will soon see why all the summer ruckus was about, a new fat bumper contract.

And let's not forget, Rooney got a loyalty bonus at the start of this season. And will most likely get a new contract this season, which means **** all since he could still force a move in the summer.

Breaks the record or not, carries us to the title or not, this man has stained the legacy he had with this club in my eyes, and I think it is a sad state of football fans in general, and shows what a fickle mob fans are, that a few goals and running around makes it all forgotten.

Might be a personal thing, I was disgusted with Roy Keane leavig in Saipan, and then I was ashamed at the FAI for having him back. I don't buy into that ****e of supporting the player cause hes in the shirt. Rooney in my eyes is being led around by a money hungry agent, and hasn't a brain to think for himself. Any half-wit would know the legacy he could leave at the club would surpass any money, and would stand the test of time.

He has destroyed that for himself in my view, and I'll never mention him in the same breathe as the clubs greats.

Rooney's goals will help ManUtd, how any ManUtd cannot cheer the ManUtd goals? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Rooney's goals will help ManUtd, how any ManUtd cannot cheer the ManUtd goals? :confused:

It's pretty clear even if you don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

So if Rooney scores the only goal in CL finals, you or TheDoc won't cheer that goal that will result in winning the CL?

Even I don't like the way it all happened, but there aren't many players who will play for the love of the club. It's all about the money, gone are the days of Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Maldini. If the club is successful and playing handsome money then players will stay or else they will move on to what's best for them.

I'm not sure about others, I for one cheer every single goal scored by ManUtd player as it always helps the club. Being very loyal and showing **** all quality is lot worse than being greedy and proving your level on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It's not really pretty clear at all it's just petty. You should not care who scores once United score. Pretty childish to not celebrate because a player you don't like scored. The main thing is United scored not who scored the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I can separate Rooney's play with his off the field antics. Its fair to say he's not in the same mould as Giggs etc, but he is still a great player. His record with United shows that. As long as he helps United to win games then I can forget about how he has behaved, for now. It doesn't mean I am fickle, sure I was one of the people saying he should be shipped out if he didn't want to be here. But he is here at the moment and playing some good football, which benefits the team, and how the team performs is my main concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

OK I can kind of understand your view ,And your entitled to it , But I could never see myself not applauding or not celebrating any Utd goal no matter who scored it ,Once a player crosses that white line in a United shirt They get my support .

Nuts102 wrote: »
    It's not really pretty clear at all it's just petty.

indeed, its really baffling. regardless of what people say, Rooney isnt totally to blame here and ferguson and the club played their part also, as did the media.

ive no problem with Rooney and the team needs him, without him our football is really poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ive no problem with Rooney and the team needs him, without him our football is really poor.

I agree, in similar fashion to Roy Keane we don't know what exactly went on... so unless we know the facts we shouldn't be quick to judge.

If it does come to light that Rooney is completely at fault for whatever the reasons may be then obviously we'll all grow to disliking the chap, but for now I hope he keeps going.

Right now his form, lack of injuries, addition of Felaini, the return of Nani to first XI soon to come hopefully, Vidics fitness, Young surely to spend more time on the bench and the fact we've got time to turn around this liccle hiccup start are the only saving graces we can cling on to this season so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

If some of the squad "loyal" to the club played with half the determination and heart as rooney we would have won at least one of those 3 big games we've played imo

I couldnt give a flying **** if rooney wants to leave/a new contract as long as he keeps performing and getting goals

NTMK wrote: »
    If some of the squad "loyal" to the club played with half the determination and heart as rooney we would have won at least one of those 3 big games we've played imo

Never mind 'loyal'. If half the team had played like they wanted to win, we would have more points at this stage. The lack of desire on Sunday was dreadful. It looked like the team didn't believe they could win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It shouldn't really matter if a player wants to stay at the club or not, as long as he is producing the goods but I think most people would prefer if the player loved the club. Call me old-fashioned but I care if a player likes the club, it means a lot to him. That's what football is about, the way it should be. I still think Rooney want to leave and his departure is inevitable. Would you like to keep a girlfriend who wants to leave, or would you just be happy she's producing the conjugal goods? I suspect the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Im really not gonna get into this, I just cant help pointing out, Keane did not leave in Saipan. He was sent home.

/all

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    I can separate Rooney's play with his off the field antics. Its fair to say he's not in the same mould as Giggs etc, but he is still a great player. His record with United shows that. As long as he helps United to win games then I can forget about how he has behaved, for now. It doesn't mean I am fickle, sure I was one of the people saying he should be shipped out if he didn't want to be here. But he is here at the moment and playing some good football, which benefits the team, and how the team performs is my main concern.

He is a lot like Giggs imo, very morally "questionable" off the field, but capable of producing true class on the field.

adox wrote: »
    The most cringe worthy stuff I have read so far this season.
    You should be embarrassed.

Well I'm not :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

kryogen wrote: »
    Im really not gonna get into this, I just cant help pointing out, Keane did not leave in Saipan. He was sent home.

/all

Not getting into it either, but if that happened nowadays with the volume of posters this place would explode. I just checked, and while before my time on here, the first threads barely predate that incident and the threads on it are only single pagers :eek:.

I'd imagine it'd be a 10k post thread in days with at least 100 bannings and infractions, and that's even using a lenient approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Wayne Rooney has shown more drive and determination against Chelsea & City (in a very difficult situation) than any other player in our squad.

He is helping the team, giving it his all and scoring goals. I don't understand how any United supporter wouldn't get behind him.

It would be a completely different story if he was looking disinterested or unfit. It's not like he handed in a transfer request to force a move. When push came to shove, he could have made it difficult for United to keep him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

homer, it's a different story in the ground, but the majority of the people here are talking about watching at home or in the pub - who cares if the clap or cheer or don't - the players can't exactly see or hear them.

It's extremely childish - "Oh, I'm watching on TV and I'm not cheering Rooney's goals, that'll show him".

LOLZ

/all

He made the circumstances that he had to go. Did it again too. Huge loss though

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    So if Rooney scores the only goal in CL finals, you or TheDoc won't cheer that goal that will result in winning the CL?

Even I don't like the way it all happened, but there aren't many players who will play for the love of the club. It's all about the money, gone are the days of Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Maldini. If the club is successful and playing handsome money then players will stay or else they will move on to what's best for them.

I'm not sure about others, I for one cheer every single goal scored by ManUtd player as it always helps the club. Being very loyal and showing **** all quality is lot worse than being greedy and proving your level on the field.

Where are you pulling that from? It isnt alll about money with all of em. And I never said I wouldn't cheer.

Just think people are being disengious if they claim not to see where doc is coming from. :confused:

He is a lot like Giggs imo, very morally "questionable" off the field, but capable of producing true class on the field.

You have a point there. I think the big thing separating the two is that Giggs has never expressed a desire to leave. Fans tend not to care how a player acts off the pitch so long as the team doesn't suffer.

Well I'm not :)

We know, we're not shocked, we are disappointed.

He made the circumstances that he had to go. Did it again too. Huge loss though

We wont agree so I wont try to change your mind

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement