Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

He made the circumstances that he had to go. Did it again too. Huge loss though

He was complaining about the lack of proper training facilities and the team not getting the chance to prepare correctly. Saying that Keane was a very confrontational and at times bitter man. He would hold a grudge and take offence easily.

He has laid into UTD a couple of times since he left and practically cut off contact with Fergie. He burns bridges wherever he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Saipan did more good for Irish football than bad. That situation will never happen again (more's the pity that Saipan is what it took for that to be be guaranteed) and we had a decent tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Away from Ireland and back to United,here's a stat that shows how little attacking threat we have from midfield, Carrick/Cleverley/Anderson/Giggs have scored 1 goal less in 207 games than Paulinho/Ramsey/Toure/Lampard have in 28 games.

zerks wrote: »
    Away from Ireland and back to United,here's a stat that shows how little attacking threat we have from midfield, Carrick/Cleverley/Anderson/Giggs have scored 1 goal less in 207 games than Paulinho/Ramsey/Toure/Lampard have in 28 games.
    Two strikers means less licence for the central midfielders to get in the box. We're usually top or near the top for goals scored so it's not a stat I'm particularly bothered about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Sky Sports Football ‏@SkyFootball 49s
    #RealMadrid president Florentino Perez has claimed that Manchester United made a bid for Gareth Bale. http://bit.ly/16WyTtF #mufc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nolars wrote: »
    #RealMadrid president Florentino Perez has claimed that Manchester United made a bid for Gareth Bale. http://bit.ly/16WyTtF #mufc

Great news altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

was probably about £8million and an offer of a 12 months loan for Bebe.

was probably about £8million and an offer of a 12 months loan for Bebe.

I hear we waited until he officially signed his contract at Madrid to bid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Sure he just got there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Of course, sure aren't Utd always after the best players? They just don't want to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Where are you pulling that from? It isnt alll about money with all of em. And I never said I wouldn't cheer.

Just think people are being disengious if they claim not to see where doc is coming from. :confused:

Where did I say it was all about money with them? I said
    It's all about the money, gone are the days of Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Maldini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I do laugh at the part "Bale has come cheaply"

such a joke of a club, hopefully trophy-less seasons to come for them

From The Guardian
    Manchester United fans celebrate as Glazers back down over Old Trafford.

- Club ends fight against Asset of Community Value listing.
    - Old Trafford will be offered to community if United ever sell.

Old-Trafford-008.jpg

Manchester United have withdrawn their request for a review into Trafford Council's decision to list Old Trafford as an Asset of Community Value.
    United have notified Trafford Council of their U-turn, which has been celebrated by opponents of the Glazer family, who own the club, as they believe it will safeguard Old Trafford for community use.

Won't be sold in the immediate future then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Interesting stat from Sunday, Fellaini came off better than Yaya

Toure's stats

Goals: 1

Passes: 52

Pass Accuracy: 86.5%

Accurate Opposition Half Passes: 28

Chances Created: 2

Fellaini's stats

Goals: 0

Passes: 65

Pass Accuracy: 92.3%

Accurate Opposition Half Passes: 46

Chances Created: 0

More detailed article here documenting heat maps and how our wing play and defenders cost us

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2429935/Marouane-Fellaini-bettered-Yaya-Toure-Manchester-derby--stats-revealed.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

More detailed article here documenting heat maps and how our wing play and defenders cost us

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2429935/Marouane-Fellaini-bettered-Yaya-Toure-Manchester-derby--stats-revealed.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    Just a case of stats being misleading, imo.

No way you could think Fellaini had a better game than Toure.

The absence of 'lost runner leading to conceding a goal' stat helps Fellaini here too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The stats don't account for the true quality of possession, perfect example as to why some stats in football are next to useless for drawing conclusions.

Also very important to give lesser weight to the last 30-35 mins, as the game was over by then and most of whatever happened thereafter should be treated differently, especially where possession is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Would love to Januzaj getting some mins, hopefully at least a half. Kagawa and Nani should play whole game and Hernandez deserves a start too. Tricky as Rooney is in top form and we can't rest him against Liverpool, so Kagawa and Nani on the wings with Rooney and Hernandez up top. Wouldn't mind Nani and Kagawa on wings as they are not rigid tactically, their natural instinct is to drift centrally and involve more in the build up play.

Also in defense, Rafael and Fabio should start and Evans for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2429935/Marouane-Fellaini-bettered-Yaya-Toure-Manchester-derby--stats-revealed.html?ito=feeds-newsxml[/QUOTE]

Statistics...what a waste...the two most pertinent ones there are gols scored and chances created...and who was on top here....Toure with 1 and 2 respectively to Fellaini's 0 and 0, and this despite Toure playing deeper????

My overall assessment of Fellaini thus far, simply not of the required United standard. Was like a headless chicken against Bayer and clueless v Citeh...spent most of his time blocking Carrick doing what Carrick does..

Na Fellaini has improved us, that is plain to see despite his performance in the City game

think we will line up like this -

AL
    Rafael
    Smalling--Evans
    Fabio--
    Nani
    Cleverly
    Ando
    Kagawa--
    Rooney----Hernandez
    kryogen wrote: »
    Na Fellaini has improved us, that is plain to see despite his performance in the City game

what measurement are you using for this? for me, ive seen nothing from Fellani yet that suggest he will improve our midfield to a top class level apart from the obvious fact that we only had 3 options, now we have 4 - in all fairness a £27million player should give us more than that, but its early yet to judge.

he is however, playing too similar to Carrick at the moment and this needs to change. the baseline is, that after 5 games its clear to see we still have a huge problem with creativity in the team and our football has been pretty awful to watch, which it has been for a long long time.

Moyes should have been aware of this, but has ignored it and has compounded that by giving no game time to the likes of Nani and Kagawa, two players who can make us tick. if Ashley Young starts tomorrow night and/or West brom, ill start to believe the people who think he is out of his depth. its f8cking sad that a man who is supposed to be managing one of the biggest clubs in the world cannot see that the player is a liability and should not be playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lindegaard hasn't even been on the bench recently. What's up with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Lindegaard hasn't even been on the bench recently. What's up with that?

looks like Moyes is favouring keeping Amos given he fits the homegrown rules and is 6/7 years younger than Lindegaard

I cant comment on his Ability compared to Lindegaard as i havent seen amos play enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

NTMK wrote: »
    looks like Moyes is favouring keeping Amos given he fits the homegrown rules and is 6/7 years younger than Lindegaard

I cant comment on his Ability compared to Lindegaard as i havent seen amos play enough

Wolves in the league cup was a shocking performance by him.

think we will line up like this -

AL
    Rafael
    Smalling--Evans
    Fabio--
    Nani
    Cleverly
    Ando
    Kagawa--
    Rooney----Hernandez

Think Carrick has to start. Neither of Cleverley and Anderson are defensively reliable enough to trust to play without someone like Carrick or Fellaini beside them.

Also think people are being too harsh on Moyes with regards Nani/Kagawa. Kagawa had flu so couldn't play against Palace. He then started against Bayer and played maybe slightly above average. You could argue he could have played instead of Welbeck v City but I couldn't say that was an easy decision either way.

Nani missed the game v Palace for some reason, I have to think he had some sort of niggle as it didn't make sense for him not to be in the squad otherwise. He was then suspended against Bayer, in a game where Valencia showed some promising signs of coming back to form. So again, selecting Valencia for the City game isn't really a decision I can slate. It would have been a huge game to throw Nani into, who hasn't played much football at all.

So while there are certain things you can criticise Moyes for, I don't think the playing Young/Valencia over Nani/Kagawa the past few weeks is even nearly as black and white as a lot of people are making out.

With both now fit and with a comfortable run of fixtures coming up, there are now no excuses not to be integrating them into the team, I will 100% agree with that. But what's gone on until now with regards them really hasn't been as straight forward as a lot are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

NTMK wrote: »

Moyes seems to favour English players
    how Welbeck is still getting so much gametime is evidence of that
    also not playing Fabio at RB too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Is Jones fit? could see him slotting into Midfield?

MD1990 wrote: »
    Moyes seems to favour English players
    how Welbeck is still getting so much gametime is evidence of that
    also not playing Fabio at RB too

You're going to have to trawl his time at Everton for a larger sample size to back that up.

From what I remember, he has played and bought various foreign players. Howard, Distin, Arteta, Fellaini, Drenthe, Heitinga, Mirallas, Pienaar, Jelavic to name but a few. Doesn't look like the work of a manager that has a bias for British players!

bullvine wrote: »
    Is Jones fit? could see him slotting into Midfield?

the fact that we are back to this scenario, says alot.

it wont be long before giggs is in there again.

What happens tomorrow is irrelevant. It's the League Cup, how important can that actually get? West Brom at the weekend is the biggie, we need to get back in the saddle quickly in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

What happens tomorrow is irrelevant. It's the League Cup, how important can that actually get? West Brom at the weekend is the biggie, we need to get back in the saddle quickly in the league.

We need a win tomorrow aswell losing to city and liverpool in the space of a few days is a big no no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So if we play crap, at home, to our historical and relatively local rivals, getting knocked out of a cup in the process - it won't matter?

Don't get me wrong - it won't be the end of the world, I won't be calling for Moyes' head - but imo we absolutely need a good performance, win or not.

Losing tomorrow would be the 4th game vs a rival already this season with a win, 3rd loss. That isn't going to go down well.

Moyes needs a good performance, and needs to show something different from the 'same old' he has given us so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Moyes "We're looking forward to getting the next game started and hopefully trying to win."

maybe its a personal thing but I hate the way he words things, it portrays a lack of confidence imo

i dont care if we are playing them in tiddly winks, i want to beat them.
    Tomorrow is F*cking huge, we lose this and it just compounds an awful start to the season.

Losing is not an option to be honest and i hope Moyes and the players realise this. no doubt if we do lose, the usual excuse merchants will be out in force saying it doesnt matter...it does and it matters even more now cos its liverpool and cos its our 4th game against a top rival so far this season and as yet, we have not won any of them, going almost 270 minutes without scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Not irrelevant but I agree with you that it isnt that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It is extremely important in that it is the most winnable of the 4 competitions in which the club is competing, oh and it's against LIVERPOOL.

I'd argue that Moyes should be placing more emphasis on this than the CL - because this United side is not strong enough to win the CL this season, but a bit of effort in the League Cup and Moyes will have himself a trophy in his first season, his first trophy as a manager. It wasn't below Ferguson to go out and win this competition, and the League Cups are always counted as part of his trophy haul and legacy.

It may not be as important a competition as the league, FA Cup or CL in the grand scheme of things, but right now it's an important game to win, and it's an important competition to try to win, to get the manager up them steps in Wembley and get his hands on a proper trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Trilla wrote: »
    Moyes "We're looking forward to getting the next game started and hopefully trying to win."

maybe its a personal thing but I hate the way he words things, it portrays a lack of confidence imo

Nitpicking, no? Fairly obvious what he means.

It hasn't been an 'awful' start to the season. It's been just below average tbh.

If we hadn't picked up max points against Swansea, Palace or Bayer, I'd agree but we did.

Blatter wrote: »
    It hasn't been an 'awful' start to the season. It's been just below average tbh.

If we hadn't picked up max points against Swansea, Palace or Bayer, I'd agree but we did.

it appears like the standards and expectations of our supporters have slipped and are continuing to slip badly.

failing to score for almost 270 minutes against 3 of our main rivals, losing to 2 of them, is fairly awful to be honest.

add in our very poor performance against one of the worst teams in the league who had 10 men for half of the game and theres alot of substance in it. "just below average" is nothing to be proud of for that matter, we wont finish in the top 4 if we keep playing like that will we?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I really hope Chicho gets a run in the next few games. The lad has a great eye for goal and sitting on the bench is such a waste of his talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

it appears like the standards and expectations of our supporters have slipped and are continuing to slip badly.

failing to score for almost 270 minutes against 3 of our main rivals, losing to 2 of them, is fairly awful to be honest.

add in our very poor performance against one of the worst teams in the league who had 10 men for half of the game and theres alot of substance in it. "just below average" is nothing to be proud of for that matter, we wont finish in the top 4 if we keep playing like that will we?

We're traditionally slow starters, Moyes is traditionally a slow starter. We had a really tough start....

I'd leave it another 10 games before being too harsh on the team/management.

If we're still struggling then i shall be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

KH25 wrote: »
    I really hope Chicho gets a run in the next few games. The lad has a great eye for goal and sitting on the bench is such a waste of his talent.

I hope so too but I can see Bambi Welbeck starting again because he'll "put in a shift."

It all depends on the side put out. If it's depleted and Utd lose then 'meh'. If the first team is out and still are beaten then there are issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I really expected when Moyes came in he would be his own man and have his ideas. I was delighted when he came in and kept Rooney and Nani players Fergie wanted out. This made me think he was going to be putting his stamp on the club.

I am not saying Moyes is a yes man but i wonder if Fergie is still advising from upstairs. The players and tactics in the big games so far have been very similar to Fergie's in recent years. Tactics and players that have not worked in the past are still being used. I love Fergie but i really hope Moyes is not being advised by Fergie about selections. Fergie is great to have around but he is upstairs now and Moyes needs to be his own man.

This is only speculation on my part but things are just too similar. I expected Moyes to bring his own ideas but so far he has not.

I never said it was something to be proud of, or something that I'd expect, not sure where you're getting that from.

So far this season the club had an easy game v Wigan for the CS. Won that, job done.

A not so easy game v Bayer in the CL (on paper at least, granted Bayer didn't play well). Won that well, job done.

Had 5 league games (Swansea, Liverpool, City away, Chelsea and Palace at home) Got 7 points from that available 15. I would have expected more, but not much more, 9-11 points from that difficult run of games would have been acceptable imo.

So we have maybe 2-4 points less in the league than what we should have expected, won our opening CL game and the CS v Wigan. And you want to class that as an 'awful' start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Positives for me is while we have looked toothless we have some very good attacking options yet to feature.

Chico, Nani, Kagawa and Zaha should offer much more creativity once they are settled into the team.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I love Fergie but i really hope Moyes is not being advised by Fergie about selections. Fergie is great to have around but he is upstairs now and Moyes needs to be his own man.

The character of both men tells me the probability of interference is negligible. Non-starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Personally I'd like to see Moyes have a real go at this trophy. When Mourinho first went to Chelsea he made the league cup a priority as it was the first bit if silverware available to him.

Moyes should take the same approach. It would be good for him to get some silverware at the earliest possible opportunity.

I'd like to see Kagawa in the centre of the park tomorrow night with him having emphasis on getting close to the front 2 (the front 2 being Rooney and Hernandez) Nani and Januzai on the flanks. I'd also like to see Zaha get some game time as well.

Manchester-United-v-Wigan-Athletic-FA-Community-Shield-2152583.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

adox wrote: »
    Manchester-United-v-Wigan-Athletic-FA-Community-Shield-2152583.jpg

That's obviously a smart reply to me.

That was a one off match that our previous manger got us to, against a Championship team.

Danye wrote: »
    That's obviously a smart reply to me.

That was a one off match that our previous manger got us to, against a Championship team.

It wasnt a smart reply. You seemed to be inferring from your Mourhino comments that Moyes should push in this competition to win his first piece of silverware.

Hes already won the community shield with Utd. How the team got there or who the opposition were is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement