Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    There are always few exceptions (I typed that part but then deleted it). My initial point was more about once club man are very rare now a days and players move on if the club don't win or pay big wages which is true for even RVP.

Well it's a day job so money of course comes into it. That however wasnt what you said, you siad it was all about the money. There are other considerations and they have different weights for different players. Game time, particularly coming up to an important tournament is an obvious one. Some players have taken pay cuts to move clubs and the like. You cant tar them all with the same brush, it is narrow minded and devalues the reasons for choosing a side.

What?

From what i have read - we asked for Coentrao, and Madrid agreed but didn't sign the replacement they wanted.

first bit was a crack at dayne who is imo a WUM (not saying you are mind, i just disagree with you)

Fair enough on the coentrao thing, i had heard he was offered but either way it looked like it was on till RM pulled the plug.
    I do feel you are being overly during a time of relative turmoil.

Headshot wrote: »
    I want to see Nani and Zaha against pool tonight. Even though I wouldnt be Nani's biggest fan but he is the best winger we have at the moment. Unless he's injured or somthing not seeing Zaha even get a game in the PL is astounding tbh. Surely he cant be as bad as Val has been (even thou Val has improved recently but not enough yet for me to think other wise)
    <3 Nani

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Fergie had no problem in having a go at the team. Just look at our last heavy loss at home to City. He came out and said the defense should have known it was over and gone for damage limitation. I remember after another defeat to City at Maine road he lambasted the squad in a post match interview and actually said "Maybe I should let the fans go in and have a word with them".

The examples you show are very different. What Fergie's words indicate is that the players' performances were not as good as they are capable of. It's all about them not doing the right things or playing well enough, but it implies that they can do that and that they should have.

What Moyes' words indicate is that the players are not capable of doing the job. And he is bemoaning the fact that he was unable to buy better players. That, to me, gives the current players an excuse to continue playing at the same substandard level.

It could just be a bluff as StarshipPooper says, but I don't think that's a great idea if it is.
    Moyes won't have a s much leeway as Fergie until he wins something but the comments are nothing unusual to me. Has anyone watched the entire press conference for context, the papers did a similar spin a couple of times during the transfer window. Its funny to me when people want to lap this stuff up. It comes down to wanting to believe it or not. If Moyes said similar things (we need more players, the other teams were poor last year) after a win on Sunday he would be getting hailed for great "Mind games" and wanting to further improve the squad.

I'm talking about how I am unhappy with Moyes' choice of message after a heavy defeat. I'm not happy with what he has chosen to say in this situation. If those words would have been something useful in a different situation that doesn't concern me. We're not in a different situation.

Whatever about what questions the journos asked and what spin they are putting on it, Moyes has still bemoaned the fact he wasn't able to buy better players just after a defeat. Those words shouldn't be uttered at this point imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'd love to see Adnan, Kagawa, Nani & Chico start tonight.

Kagawa & Nani are part of our strongest 11 IMHO. Chico needs game time, and Januzaj should be given every available opportunity to develop. The more he plays, the more likely he is to sign a new contract also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

v3ttel wrote: »

Kagawa & Nani are part of our strongest 11 IMHO. Chico needs game time, and Januzaj should be given every available opportunity to develop. The more he plays, the more likely he is to sign a new contract also.

Agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

v3ttel wrote: »

Same here, it would be great to see all of them play but I have a bad feeling it'll be another safe selection of the usual faces. Young, Valencia, Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

To people banging the Kagawa drum - would you all be happy with him playing on the left all season? He correctly wont be taking Rooneys place behind RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

To people banging the Kagawa drum - would you all be happy with him playing on the left all season? He correctly wont be taking Rooneys place behind RVP
    Playing off the left as we have seen silva, mata, Nasir and other players of his ilk, yes. It's what I've been calling for.

• Advertisement

Playing off the left as we have seen silva, mata, Nasir and other players of his ilk, yes. It's what I've been calling for.

thats fair enough. watch though when that happens, he has an indifferent game and then people moan about him being played out of position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The way he was played against Leverkusen with Evra providing the width - Yes

Left wing of a 4-4-1-1 - No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He correctly wont be taking Rooneys place behind RVP

I know you mean the bigger picture, but he could have taken Rooneys place on Sunday with RVP injured.

Or Hernandez could have taken RVP's place.

But no. We got Wellbeck and Young. :(

thats fair enough. watch though when that happens, he has an indifferent game and then people moan about him being played out of position

For me the problem is the insistence on either a 442 or for the wingers to play like traditional wide midfielders, covering the full back. We need to evolve the formation to get the best out of Rooney, Rvp and kagawa. If we font, we will be selling kagawa in the summer. Maybe trying a swap for gundogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tonight is a bit different on that front though, because last week in the CL match Fellaini did a excellent job covering the full backs, allowing the attacking unit to get on with it, to good effect.

against City he was indifferent to poor, however, the selection ahead of him was wrong, so we can write that one off for now.

Tonight, Liverpool even at their strongest shouldn't be any better than Leverkusen, and it won't be their strongest XI I don't think.

But, there's no Fellaini, and there isn't a midfielder from the remaining midfielders capable of doing what Fellaini did last week, meaning Kagawa can't play that role Mitch is talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

For me the problem is the insistence on either a 442 or for the wingers to play like traditional wide midfielders, covering the full back. We need to evolve the formation to get the best out of Rooney, Rvp and kagawa. If we font, we will be selling kagawa in the summer. Maybe trying a swap for gundogan.

Agree completely. I'd like to see something like this,

RVP
    Kagawa Rooney Nani

Carrick
    Fellani

Evra Vidic Jones Raf

DDG
    The front four encouraged to interlink and have fluidity in their positions and to be encouraged to create. Fellani breaking up the play and giving it to Carrick to feed to the top 4.

• Advertisement

Tonight is a bit different on that front though, because last week in the CL match Fellaini did a excellent job covering the full backs, allowing the attacking unit to get on with it, to good effect.

against City he was indifferent to poor, however, the selection ahead of him was wrong, so we can write that one off for now.

Tonight, Liverpool even at their strongest shouldn't be any better than Leverkusen, and it won't be their strongest XI I don't think.

But, there's no Fellaini, and there isn't a midfielder from the remaining midfielders capable of doing what Fellaini did last week, meaning Kagawa can't play that role Mitch is talking about.
    Jones could. Similar to what he did vs Madrid.

But yeah, in general I would agree a solid base provided by fellaini and Carrick would be required to allow the change in style I think is needed.

I know you mean the bigger picture, but he could have taken Rooneys place on Sunday with RVP injured.

Or Hernandez could have taken RVP's place.

But no. We got Wellbeck and Young. :(

agree the weekend selection was wrong but i think people have been saying it about kag for ages now.

442 for me is a redundant formation. it means we get bullied in CM. width should come from full backs these days imo

MUTV buildup to the game seem to be free to view tonight. On now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Also for tonight I'd like to see this,

Rooney Hernandez

Januzai Kagawa Nani

Carrick

Evra Vidic Smalling Raf

DDG

I think Kagawa would love the opportunity to play more centrally but obviously a bit further up the field closer to the front 2. Himself and Rooney could alternate position throughout the game and pull their back 4 all over the place. With those threading ball through for Hernandez who thrives on the shoulder of a centre half, it could be a very profitable night.

No matter what happens tonight I want us to get really at them. We've been far too nice this season. I feel as though we've been set up to stop the other teams we've played this season rather than take the game to them. Playing in front of the opposition instead of taking chances of getting in behind them. It looks as though we're afraid to really get at teams. Hopefully that changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

Liverpool team: Mignolet, Toure, Sakho, Skrtel, Enrique, Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Moses, Sturridge, Suarez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Rooney captaining United tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Buttner, Nani, Jones, Giggs, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Jones and Giggs in the midfield, we will have something like 80% possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Giggs. Are you taking the ****ing piss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Giggs and Jones in midfield, fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

Happy with Nani, Kagawa and Hernandez all starting. Would have much preferred Cleverley/Anderson in midfield though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Sweet Jesus. Jones and Giggs in CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

This transition moyes keeps talking about is going to be very hard to get through if he keeps picking our oldest player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My god look at that CM, ****ing woeful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Nani, Kagawa and Hernandez will have some platform to show their ability with the mighty Jones and Giggs in the centre.

Joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

For fcuk sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If we win with that midfield i will be shocked,just downright rotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Really think Zaha must have knocked off Moyes wife or something.

Headshot wrote: »
    My god look at that CM, ****ing woeful
    dahat wrote: »
    If we win with that midfield i will be shocked,just downright rotten

And people wondered why we were so annoyed by the transfer window, just look at that ****ing midfield.

Not to poison the well, but how exactly are Nani or Kagawa supposed to do their thing when there is no foundation there in midfield to allow it? They will have **** all possession or chances tonight and then idiots will say they didn't perform. Its bull****.

A home match against our biggest rivals and that's what we put in midfield. A 40 year old who averages probably around 30% pass accuracy and a headless chicken who'll be off injured after 20 minutes.

Gold help us.

Id be even happier to see Ando start even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Can't see anything other than Kagawa left wing in that, he'll have to cover for Butters even more so because of that centre midfield

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

And people wondered why we were so annoyed by the transfer window, just look at that ****ing midfield.

Not to poison the well, but how exactly are Nani or Kagawa supposed to do their thing when there is no foundation there in midfield to allow it? They will have **** all possession or chances tonight and then idiots will say they didn't perform. Its bull****.

FFS, this has nothing to do with the transfer window. We have better options for midfield, the problem is they're not being selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I've figured it out. It's all a clever scheme to make sunday's performance look good.

• Advertisement

Another spanking is on the cards here. Liverpool aren't brilliant but they're going to annihilate that midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The German international’s registration was reportedly offered to Manchester United on 7th August 2013, but neither the player or his father were part of nor aware of that.
    Ozil senior was reported by the Kolner Express as saying: “Some flimsy people have done, what I never would have considered possible.
    “Someone tried to contact Manchester United and pretended to be me. This is not a trivial offence. We will get to the bottom of this now.”

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-ozil-offered-man-united-fraudsters-151309770--sow.html

Crazy transfer window just got a bit more crazy. :confused:

FFS, this has nothing to do with the transfer window. We have better options for midfield, the problem is they're not being selected.

It has everything to do with the transfer window. This isn't about not picking Anderson, who lest we forget was ****ing useless last time out. Fact is if we hadn't royally ****ed up the transfer window then we wouldn't now have to choose between the OAP, the gurning defender and the chubby Brazilian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

J. Marston wrote: »
    Another spanking is on the cards here. Liverpool aren't brilliant but they're going to annihilate that midfield.

Nah.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sorry, League Cup - Jones in midfield is perfectly acceptable based on his play there last season.

Giggs on the other hand = :(

that Kag play was magnificent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Solid win, Giggs played well as did Buttner imo.

Happy enough with that. Room for alot improvement thou.

Especially loved Kag, Chico and Rooney performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Wasn't expecting much from Jones tonight but I thought he did a good job in midfield tonight .

Rooney was great .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Delighted with Nani and Rafael tonight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement