Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Nolars wrote: »
    Doesnt he fly from Paris now I think that's actually an hour longer flight then from Germany.

For anyone who has been on a long haul flight will know how much it will knock out of you. Especially after the return trip. To play a top tier match after that? I can only imagine.

Resting him is common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

For anyone who has been on a long haul flight will know how much it will knock out of you. Especially after the return trip. To play a top tier match after that? I can only imagine.

Resting him is common sense.

Like how he was rested at Dortmund and didn't win the player of the season oh where are you common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Like how he was rested at Dortmund and didn't win the player of the season oh where are you common sense.

He didn't win player of the season.

Maybe if he was rested he would have...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

They play 4 less league games as well.

Ah sure we always have young I suppose

Distance from France to Japan is: 6069.2 Miles

( 9767.5 Kilometers / 5270.5 Nautical Miles )

Approximate flight duration time from Paris, France to Tokyo, Japan is 12 hrs, 36 mins

Distance from Germany to Japan is: 5566.2 Miles

( 8957.9 Kilometers / 4833.7 Nautical Miles )

Approximate flight duration time from Berlin, Germany to Tokyo, Japan is 11 hrs, 33 mins

Sure no wonder why he isn't playing, poor fella.

He was obviously joking with the Paris thing but you went and did the milage anyway?

An extra or less of an hour means nothing after the 10hr mark imo. The single longest flight you can possibly take is 16-18hrs irrc. Singapore to LA I think.

I flew to LA last summer for a week, when I got home i was like a Zombie for a week. When you cross that many time zones it takes one day per timezone to recover your natural order
    The condition of jet lag may last several days until one is fully adjusted to the new time zone, and a recovery rate of one day per time zone crossed is a suggested guideline.

Japan are 8hrs ahead, LA was 8hrs behind so it was pretty much the same trip lenght. From my own experience I can say that its impossible to function at 100% after a trip like that. Its biology at the end of the day, you cant force it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Would the West Brom game be a chance to rest Carrick and try Fellaini & Jones/Cleverly/Anderson in midfield?

Moyes has to get used to the idea of having a squad unlike Everto where he had the first XI and a very limited backup group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

zerks wrote: »
    Would the West Brom game be a chance to rest Carrick and try Fellaini & Jones/Cleverly/Anderson in midfield?

Moyes has to get used to the idea of having a squad unlike Everto where he had the first XI and a very limited backup group of players.

Would love to see Fellaini and Anderson starting in the midfield with Nani, Rooney and Kagawa playing behind Hernandez. I think RVP is doubt for this game.

He didn't win player of the season. You have that wrong as well as your info on him not being rested. How many of his international trips were to Japan? did he meet with the team in another location, a shorter flight.

At least get some research done before you throw out false information as you have done twice already. Its common sense to do so.

• Advertisement

He was obviously joking with the Paris thing but you went and did the milage anyway?

An extra or less of an hour means nothing after the 10hr mark imo. The single longest flight you can possibly take is 16-18hrs irrc. Singapore to LA I think.

I flew to LA last summer for a week, when I got home i was like a Zombie for a week. When you cross that many time zones it takes one day per timezone to recover your natural order

Japan are 8hrs ahead, LA was 8hrs behind so it was pretty much the same trip lenght. From my own experience I can say that its impossible to function at 100% after a trip like that. It biology at the end of the day, you cant force it.

So from the logic you are using when he flys from Paris to japan he should rest for a week.. :rolleyes:

So from the logic you are using when he flys from Paris to japan he should rest for a week.. :rolleyes:

No and my post never said that. Try re-reading it.

No and my post never said that. Try re-reading it.

you were like a zombie for a week and erm its human biology you cant mess with that sorta thing.

you were like a zombie for a week and erm its human biology you cant mess with that sorta thing.

Exactly. Not one mention of the word Kagawa and rest in the entire post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

You also have to factor in Dortmund's squad wasn't as good as United's .

Gotze could play in his position but whoever would come in and play his position (Kevin Großkreutz I assume?) wouldn't have been up to the level required .

Exactly. Not one mention of the word Kagawa and rest in the entire post.

he didnt win player of the season? didn't you know

http://bundesligafootball.co.uk/2012/05/shinji-kagawa-player-of-the-year/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

he didnt win player of the season? didn't you know

http://bundesligafootball.co.uk/2012/05/shinji-kagawa-player-of-the-year/

Yeah, he really didn't win the player of the season.

This gets more amusing each time

kryogen wrote: »
    Yeah, he really didn't win the player of the season.

This gets more amusing each time

Heres some further reading for you Nolars

Though tbf I have repeatedly posted about how he did not win the POTY and some will still ignore it, **** knows why people cant look something up

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=ger/news/newsid=1838840.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footballer_of_the_Year_in_Germany

But hey, don't let facts get in the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Yes he should of won it, but he did not. Here's the list of all honours Kagawa Has won. No POTY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinji_Kagawa#Honours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It was refreshing last night not having to watch Young cutting inside and kicking the ball into the 'keeper's hands or into the crowd behind the goal.Our movement in attack was much more fluid without him.

Heres some further reading for you Nolars

Though tbf I have repeatedly posted about how he did not win the POTY and some will still ignore it, **** knows why people cant look something up

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=ger/news/newsid=1838840.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footballer_of_the_Year_in_Germany

But hey, don't let facts get in the way

The amount of people who have said it is stupid then. And the amount of articles that said it is also stupid.

But hey, its a fact not worth knowing.

• Advertisement

Klair88 wrote: »
    Yes he should of won it, but he did not. Here's the list of all honours Kagawa Has won. No POTY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinji_Kagawa#Honours

No real argument with Reus winning it myself tbh, though him being German would obviously benefit him.

Kags didn't get voted in the top 3 which for me is a bit harsh, but he did make the team of the year

The amount of people who have said it is stupid then. And the amount of articles that said it is also stupid.

But hey, its a fact not worth knowing.

There is only one article, the bundesligafootball website article, since they are the ones that voted him their first ever POTY. That's it. One.

The amount of people saying it is amusing when it has been shown again and again to be false. To call them all stupid would be harsh maybe

Its a fact not worth knowing? WTF does that even mean? You were all for using it when you thought he had won the POTY but it becomes irrelevant when its pointed out he hasn't.

Now that is stupid

Screw all that

Should have just said, your post sucked.

There is only one article, the bundesligafootball website article, since they are the ones that voted him their first ever POTY. That's it. One.

The amount of people saying it is amusing when it has been shown again and again to be false. To call them all stupid would be harsh maybe

Its a fact not worth knowing? WTF does that even mean? You were all for using it when you thought he had won the POTY but it becomes irrelevant when its pointed out he hasn't.

Now that is stupid

Screw all that

Should have just said, your post sucked.

A fact not worth knowing means its useless and doesn't contribute to your life yea I used it because I thought it was genuine as he had an awesome season that year. Sorry for not not doing my research into German football and making you angry by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

How did januzaj get on?

A fact not worth knowing means its useless and doesn't contribute to your life yea I used it because I thought it was genuine as he had an awesome season that year. Sorry for not not doing my research into German football and making you angry by the looks of it.

Amused. Not angry.

How did januzaj get on?

He was ok, nothing more nothing less, he was a bit nervous and indecisive which you would probably have to expect and allow for. He did better the longer he was on the field.

Just good to see him get minutes tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Trying to argue with someone today as to why "United always get the handy home draws in cups. ALWAYS"

I have a headache, I can't argue with idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Pleasantly surprised by the result last night, home to Norwich is a perfect tie to try out new players/formations. Onwards to playing west brom, much like last night I'd like to see a mix of players that have played little to no football alongside more established players. Would love Evans to get a full 90 this weekend, thought he was a beast yesterday. Hernandez up front again please, regardless of RVP's fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd bring Evra, Carrick, Fellaini and Vidic back into the line up for West Brom - for Buttner, Jones, Giggs and Evans.

Would like to see Zaha get some game time too but it probably won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

In fairness zaha has to be chosen at the right time because he does look very raw, possibly even naive in his play. He was taking on players it was refreshing in preseason but ye could tell he was a bit loose with the ball.

I rate janujaz a lot higher, I think if he gets a bit of confidence he could be a real quality player. Zaha I'm a lot more skeptical about funnily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Trying to argue with someone today as to why "United always get the handy home draws in cups. ALWAYS"

I have a headache, I can't argue with idiots.

Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

nice win and the feeling is much better today than it was over the past few days. cracking atmosphere in the second half and its clear that all match going fans are behind Moyes.

Hopefully Moyes now uses this as a means of turning things around and kicking on,but he has alot of work to do, alot of the players look out of sorts.

Buttner had his best game for the club last night, Rafael, Nani, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez all solid considering they had no game time - they all need to be in the first 11 asap, as our football was better last night with them in it.

the thing is though, Liverpool had 4 or 5 excellent chances and alot of that came from the fact that our midfield was too static. Playing Jones and Giggs in there is a huge no no, it must not happen again, but sadly due to our pathetic summer it probably will again once the big run of games thats coming up, sets in and we get the odd injury here or there.

the reaction of the players coming off was top class, you can see it meant alot to them, but of course to some lads here, the game was umiportant and irrelevant ;)

job done and great win, now lets get moving up the league table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Have United taken measures to improve the atmosphere at old trafford? Thought i read something along those lines previously. Definetly noticed an improvement watching the game last night. Fans seemed really behind the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Have United taken measures to improve the atmosphere at old trafford? Thought i read something along those lines previously. Definetly noticed an improvement watching the game last night. Fans seemed really behind the team

Evening games are always a bit better but last night it was more a reaction to Liverpool's fans. Anytime time they started up the Stretford End would drown them out and get the rest of the stadium going.

PaddyCar wrote: »

A signing section will be trialled at the Real Sociedad game.

They tried moving the away fans section to the upper tier of the Sir Alex stand a couple of seasons ago (4-0 home win to Villa). That trial lasted one match and was a disaster, I should know i was there in the tier directly below them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

A signing section will be trialled at the Real Sociedad game.

They tried moving the away fans section to the upper tier of the Sir Alex stand a couple of seasons ago (4-0 home win to Villa). That trial lasted one match and was a disaster, I should know i was there in the tier directly below them.

What happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

nice win and the feeling is much better today than it was over the past few days. cracking atmosphere in the second half and its clear that all match going fans are behind Moyes.

Hopefully Moyes now uses this as a means of turning things around and kicking on,but he has alot of work to do, alot of the players look out of sorts.

Buttner had his best game for the club last night, Rafael, Nani, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez all solid considering they had no game time - they all need to be in the first 11 asap, as our football was better last night with them in it.

the thing is though, Liverpool had 4 or 5 excellent chances and alot of that came from the fact that our midfield was too static. Playing Jones and Giggs in there is a huge no no, it must not happen again, but sadly due to our pathetic summer it probably will again once the big run of games thats coming up, sets in and we get the odd injury here or there.

the reaction of the players coming off was top class, you can see it meant alot to them, but of course to some lads here, the game was umiportant and irrelevant ;)

job done and great win, now lets get moving up the league table.

hey Homer, what would this post of yours have read like if we'd have lost last night :D:D?

Trilla wrote: »
    hey Homer, what would this post of yours have read like if we'd have lost last night :D:D?

the same as everybody elses. losing last night was not an option for us.

What happened?

That Atmosphere was as quite as usual. The Villa fans seemed extra vocal to compensate for being stuck up in the Gods. They had a lot more things to shake, rattle and kick up there, such as the barriers at the end and sides of the tier.

From the away matches I have been to my experience is your are even more vocal when outnumbered and the comradery amongst the away fans is greater. Putting Villa fans in the Gods seemed to only increase their determination.

It was also the match in which Young threw his leg at a former team mate to win a penalty, this didn't help, the Villa fans got very abusive after that.

All of us down below were on edge from the risk of missiles or gobs landing on us but they never did to the Villa fans credit.

There were a few families close to me as well as your usual fans and the kids were always looking up or asking why they were making so much noise. Nobody could relax. In hindsight it was possibly the worst place to put them/

This is not a slight on Villa fans, besides the odd foul mouthed chant and the noise they did nothing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nearly all games United have been involved with have been poor so far this season, it's worryingly becoming the norm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nearly all games United have been involved with have been poor so far this season, it's worryingly becoming the norm

Same for last season, and the season before.

It has been a while since United played consistently good and attractive football.

There were a few families close to me as well as your usual fans and the kids were always looking up or asking why they were making so much noise. Nobody could relax. In hindsight it was possibly the worst place to put them/

not fully sure what your trying to say here. on one hand your saying it was a disaster and you were all nervous and what not, but on the other you are saying Villa fans did nothing wrong.

tell me, what is the difference between having them over you in tier 3 as opposed to being on the top of tier 2 where 6,000 Liverpool fans were last night?

they have to be somewhere and tier 3 is the ideal place, up out of the way where normally the atmosphere is poor anyway. the made alot of noise, as very simply, they were close to you. i was at that game and couldnt hear them, normally we can hear them perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

not fully sure what your trying to say here. on one hand your saying it was a disaster and you were all nervous and what not, but on the other you are saying Villa fans did nothing wrong.

tell me, what is the difference between having them over you in tier 3 as opposed to being on the top of tier 2 where 6,000 Liverpool fans were last night?

they have to be somewhere and tier 3 is the ideal place, up out of the way where normally the atmosphere is poor anyway. the made alot of noise, as very simply, they were close to you. i was at that game and couldnt hear them, normally we can hear them perfectly.

Agree with ya on this, I was at that game too and it was a little strange the lack of noise from the away fans that you'd usually hear.

That said I do think the atmosphere in General is better when playing against a team with loud away fans as our fans try to drown them out to compensate for this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There were a few families close to me as well as your usual fans and the kids were always looking up or asking why they were making so much noise. Nobody could relax. In hindsight it was possibly the worst place to put them

Just tell them they're away fans...they're not monsters

they have to be somewhere and tier 3 is the ideal place, up out of the way where normally the atmosphere is poor anyway. the made a lot of noise, as very simply, they were close to you. i was at that game and couldn't hear them, normally we can hear them perfectly.

It was a disaster in the sense that it improved nothing for the atmosphere in the ground except making the away fans more vocal. I was unlucky to be underneath them which didn't help.

The threat of stuff raining down was in everyone's mind but as I said the Villa fans did none of this. It had everyone below on edge especially the kids. It was only one or two familys close to me, mostly groups of lads then but everyone seemed to glance up protectively now and again, not something I've seen at OT before.

Tier 3 overlaps tier 2 so there is a section where you are directly underneath or in the shadow of tier 3 and the away fans. Tier 2 is more behind and higher tier 2 than if you know what I mean so Tier 2 is much better in that sense.

I'm pretty sure the move got lots of negative feedback as they didn't place away fans there ever again, I could be wrong on that but it had 0% home atmosphere improved and caused some home fans to be on edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

How is the away fans being stuck up in tier 3 any different to the away fans being stuck up in the Gods in the likes of the Bernabeu or Camp Nou?

Noiser away fans creates a better atmosphere. Noiser home fans with the singing section creates a better atmosphere. North tier 3 are the worst seats in the ground, freeing up the better seats for the home fans which is what clubs with similarly sized stadia do.

I can't see a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Bit of luck now we can get a flow going after that grinding, well-needed win v the Pool last night.

Next 5 league games are games we could win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Bit of luck now we can get a flow going after that grinding, well-needed win v the Pool last night.

Next 5 league games are games we could should win.

v3ttel wrote: »
    How is the away fans being stuck up in tier 3 any different to the away fans being stuck up in the Gods in the likes of the Bernabeu or Camp Nou?

Noiser away fans creates a better atmosphere. Noiser home fans with the singing section creates a better atmosphere. North tier 3 are the worst seats in the ground, freeing up the better seats for the home fans which is what clubs with similarly sized stadia do.

I can't see a problem.

Its a problem when the away fans are noisier than the home fans. Thats why they moved them from the Old Scoreboard end because they could made more noise and on tv broadcasts this really came accross as they were easier to hear .

They stuck them in the nosebleeds so the home fans could go into that section and be heard better. It didn't work. Thats why they are trialling a new singing section.

I have better hopes for this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Does anyone expect maybe a slightly weakened team on Saturday with the CL game Tuesday?
    I'd say alot of yesterday's team will play (not a weak team!) against WBA.
    Roo and Hernandez should start again

I'd imagine something like:
    DDG
    Raf Vid Smalling Evra
    Nani Fellaini Carrick/Clevs Young
    Rooney
    Hernandez

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement