Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

v3ttel wrote: »
    This makes absolutely no sense. Putting the away fans in tier 3 is a problem as the away fans will be louder than the home fans?

That's exactly the problem they are trying to solve? Having a dedicated singing section can only improve the home support. Having a proper 100% dedicated singing section like at the Bernabeu & Camp Nou works there.

I was at the Bernabeu earlier this year, and there is just one tiny section, but Jesus, I wasn't even seated close to them but they had the place absolutely rocking and never stopped for the entire 90 mins. In both stadia the away fans are up in the Gods and it works fine. Same in St. James.

Most clubs save the best seats for the home fans.

Your missing the point so much on everything said I almost wasn't going to reply but I will anyway.

"Putting the away fans in tier 3 is a problem as the away fans will be louder than the home fans?" That was not the intention but thats what happened, thats why it was a disaster. The home fans that went into the old away fans section did nothing to improve the atmosphere. We are talking about a vocal and accoustic increase.

The signing section was not in place during this first move which didn't help atmosphere either. I never objected to a signing section, its a good idea imo.

The you go onto mention how a small section of away fans at the Bernabeu had the place rocking after 90mins and how great it was after saying loud away fans in the gos is the problem we are trying to solve?

Anyway, there is no point in derailing the thread on this. My point is the move they tried at the Villa game was a disaster. The away fans increased their vocal output, there was no home fans signing section in place and from what I heard there was so much negative feedback that the stadium and match day organisers didn't try it again and are looking at this new solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Or a Speedboat!

Ah good aul Bullseye, people from London in council flats winning speed boats, FML.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ah good aul Bullseye, people from London in council flats NOT winning speed boats, FML.

It was always the prize when they didn't win the Star Prize. When they did win the star prize it was a Trabant with three wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Love how Chicharito's all round play has improved,when he first joined he had a poor touch and his link up play was pretty woeful even if he could get a goal out of nothing.These days he's streets ahead.This is quality from the game the other night.

iTu673EgiCOQu.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

zerks wrote: »
    Love how Chicharito's all round play has improved,when he first joined he had a poor touch and his link up play was pretty woeful even if he could get a goal out of nothing.These days he's streets ahead.This is quality from the game the other night.

iTu673EgiCOQu.gif

Lovely play but the correct ball was a little inside pass, if he plays that pass it goes to Nani who has a lot more speed and I'd rate him as a better finisher than Kags, Kag was very tired receiving that pass and it was just slightly behind him.

Still it's a strong piece of play and he's got better all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If that ball was played just in front of Kagawa instead of at him it would have been even better .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

zerks wrote: »

I remmber last year he had a lovely bit of buildup play out wide left where he battled for the ball then delivered a lovely low crossfield ball with the outside of his right foot. If I had the ability to find gifs and post them up I would, ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bullvine wrote: »
    Jees, some very average players in that squad outside of the first 11, how times have changed.

i disagree, that squad was excellent relative to what others had...it was the basis of what should have been 5 titles in a row (they won 4) - dont forget, CL and international requirements were not as big back then and our youth set up at that time had beckham, butt, scholes and the other wonderkids who are not included in that pic. Roy Keane was also not far away from being signed.

assuming this was our first 11 -

PS
    Parker----Bruce----Pally---Irwin
    ----Sharpe
    Ince---Giggs

Mclair

Cantona
    Hughes

that left the following and luckily, we got feck all injuries that year apart from Dublin really.

sub keeper, Ferguson, Robson, kanchelskis, Blackmore (not in the pic), Dublin and the boy phelan were the main back up players then so thats 19 players who were pretty much in every squad. Phelan, Ferguson and Robson would have been our back up 3 in midfield, Kanchelskis would have filled in anytime Sharpe or Giggs was missing and we signed Cantona to replace Dublin, pushing Mcclair back into midfield. Defensive options were short alright, but them 4 lads would have played with 2 broken legs if they had to.

a few of that team there such as Wallace and Martin wouldnt have played any league games, aslong with Neil Webb (also not in that pic).

92-94 was a great era for the club ,great memories.

His stat's are impressive considering how little game time he gets.

article-2432993-1849B52C00000578-612_634x429.jpg

He's scored 35 international goals in only 55 appearances for Mexico. That's a better international goals-to-game ratio than Cristiano Ronaldo (43 in 106) and Lionel Messi (39 in 78).

Your missing the point so much on everything said I almost wasn't going to reply but I will anyway.

sorry, but im not sure anybody knows what your trying to say. the away fans were "noisier" pure and simple as they just happened to be close to you. people complaining and what not, did so as they would not have ever had them before in the situation and to be honest, who wants to sit near them, especially if its a change.

and for what its worth, away fans have been in the tier 3 for other games, not just that one....i can remember 4 games where they were there.

the main reason for this being rejected is the police licence - the north stand is too "open" and theres about 20 different escape routes, whereas the east stand they can tunnell them out one exit, which is straight into the car park or up SMBW to the tram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yeah - now we have them in the first 11 too.

you could pick a current United team that wouldn't be "average"

In the modern game you never see your fist 11 90% of the time, unlike the early 90's where players started 32 games plus in the league alone

Trilla wrote: »
    you could pick a current United team that wouldn't be "average"

well We could, but our manager seems incapable of doing so and keeps insisting on players like Welbeck, Young and Valencia being played in it and a player at CH who cannot play 2 games in 4 days.

that f*cking better not happen tomorrow, need to see this team out, assuming RVP is missing.

DDG
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Vidic
    Evra
    Nani----Carrick
    Fellani----Kagawa
    Rooney----Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

PS
    ----Sharpe
    Ince---Giggs

Mclair

Cantona
    Hughes

that left the following and luckily, we got feck all injuries that year apart from Dublin really.

sub keeper, Ferguson, Robson, kanchelskis, Blackmore (not in the pic), Dublin and the boy phelan were the main back up players then so thats 19 players who were pretty much in every squad.

Put Kanchelskis back on that right wing or I am reporting the post! :pac:

Loved Kanchelskis. Rumor is that all the early football computer games like Sensible Soccer based their gameplay on his highly effective trick of running down the wing, cutting in at an angle and shooting. Guaranteed goal every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Just on the away fans seating allocation.
    Putting them above the home fans is a big no and invites behaviour like Wednesday night where some scumbag throws a lit flare down on top of them.

Finding the safest place for both sets of fans should come before making a better atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Putting them above the home fans is a big no and invites behaviour like Wednesday night where some scumbag throws a lit flare down on top of them.

Finding the safest place for both sets of fans should come before making a better atmosphere.

Or people should respect the safety of others and not go lobbing stuff....

away fans are normally in most upper tiers anyway, so why is it a problem at OT, but not in other grounds?

the last 5 away games ive been to, ive been up in top tiers and almost every cup games at OT (subject to demand of course), the east stand upper is allocated to the away fans.

Or people should respect the safety of others and not go lobbing stuff....
    Can't legislate for scumbags...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The behaviour of the Liverpool fans and City fans doing the Poznan were two reasons cited by police as to why the change of away fans area could not be made last season as planned. The poznan issue was to do with worries about the structure with so many people jumping in unison.

Don't know what has been done in terms of safety or policing in the period since that has changed the police perspective.

away fans are normally in most upper tiers anyway, so why is it a problem at OT, but not in other grounds?

the last 5 away games ive been to, ive been up in top tiers and almost every cup games at OT (subject to demand of course), the east stand upper is allocated to the away fans.
    Just my opinion, it goes for all grounds.

DDG
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Vidic
    Evra
    Nani----Carrick
    Fellani----Kagawa
    Rooney----Hernandez

yep, RVP for Chico and thats our best team imo. Maybe Evans for Smalling

• Advertisement

Can't legislate for scumbags...

surely you can - we call them laws.

Trilla wrote: »
    yep, RVP for Chico and thats our best team imo. Maybe Evans for Smalling

Would agree with you on both counts.

Thought Smalling and Vidic were in forming a very very good partnership season before last - to the point I felt they were the first choice CBs (over Rio and Evans).

Vidic got injured and Smalling with Evans or Rio didn't seem to work at all well, while Rio and Evans did work well together - so Smalling lost his place, due to Vidic's injury imo.

reckon Fergie selected CBs based on pairings rather than individual form/ability.

Rio/Vidic
    Smalling/Vidic
    Evans/Vidic
    Evans/Rio.

sorry, but im not sure anybody knows what your trying to say.

Its quite simple really, it didn't work to improve anything. Hence they are trying something else as I said this in my first post on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Loved Kanchelskis. Rumor is that all the early football computer games like Sensible Soccer based their gameplay on his highly effective trick of running down the wing, cutting in at an angle and shooting. Guaranteed goal every time.

That season though more often than not it was Sharpe that was preferred when fit iirc, Sharpe did have a tendency to get injured.

Following from the photo where I was thinking there were a few in there whom I don't remember playing very much if at all that season (eg Martin, Wallace) I went and checked the precise stats. We had 7 players who played 40+ league games (as it was 42 at the time)...that is phenomenal.

When you look at that it makes Fergies embrace of the current squad rotation even more impressive.

They were indeed great times... simpler times! We just looked forward to the games and getting the new jersey without all the bickering on the internet before and after!!

Also, if I remember it right that shirt came out in the new year or something and was the beginning of us bringing out new shirts mid-season (hence why the King is in the photo). Remember the fuss over us bringing out so many shirts...if only we knew what the future held. Now we've a new home shirt every season.

Exactly. Common sense would indicate this to any football fan. The images of the England fans above the Ireland fans in Lansdown road are burned into many peoples minds.

If any set of fans wanted to repeat such an event, the ideal place for them to do it would be in tier 3.

The first move up their was to improve atmosphere in OT, it had the opposite effect. It improved nothing for home fans atmosphere except making a home fans nervous. The day I was there they had lot of barriers to rattle too.

Its quite simple really, if you are sat in a chair and someone is standing up behind you making loud noise is not going to make for a comfortable experience. Some people just dont or cant grasp this simple logic. Its probably due to being in a different stand and not being exposed to this situation.

surely you can - we call them laws.
    Obviously. I'm sure you know what I meant. It's not exactly easy to indentify someone hence it's not much of a deterrent.

Obviously. I'm sure you know what I meant. It's not exactly easy to indentify someone hence it's not much of a deterrent.

Hard to pick out the culprit among a mob but the guy who did this should be found and brought to task,the FA have contacted both clubs over the incident.

<3

article-1209375-00E1F16C00000190-529_468x309.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Flares can be thrown left and right across tiers just as easily you know as up and down tiers.

Best atmosphere in Tallaght was when PAOK supporter were loud and noisy and above me.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Flares can be thrown left and right across tiers just as easily you know as up and down tiers.

Best atmosphere in Tallaght was when PAOK supporter were loud and noisy and above me.
    Not getting into it any further but I'd take my chances if it was coming from the side or in front of me, not so much above or behind.

Not getting into it any further but I'd take my chances if it was coming from the side or in front of me, not so much above or behind.

At Anfield you have had situations where the home supporters, above the United fans, have been chucking stuff down on them. I'm sure that isn't unique to Liverpool, or United.

Unless you have a stadium like the Aviva, you are going to have one set of fans over another - with the same chance for issues no matter what.

Had the United fans been above the Liverpool fans on Wednesday night you can be sure there'd have been just as likely a chance for trouble.

At Anfield you have had situations where the home supporters, above the United fans, have been chucking stuff down on them. I'm sure that isn't unique to Liverpool, or United.

Unless you have a stadium like the Aviva, you are going to have one set of fans over another - with the same chance for issues no matter what.

Had the United fans been above the Liverpool fans on Wednesday night you can be sure there'd have been just as likely a chance for trouble.

There is always a chance for trouble at any ground so its about minimissing the risk. Putting them above rival fans is not minimissing, almost the opposite.

Hence our point that away fans above home is a bad idea. Plus there are many situations in stadiums where they are not above and behind and enough room in most stadiums to sort something out.

As mentioned its harder to throw an object into a tier above you, more tha likely the object will come back down at you. To the side its easier but fans have a better chance of seeing and avoiding it. When its coming at you from behind its not possible.

I'm sure whoever got hit by that flare and those around them didn't enjoy the experience too much and were on edge the rest of the game and maybe before hand too. That happened to be caught on camera, who knows what else rained down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

i disagree, that squad was excellent relative to what others had...it was the basis of what should have been 5 titles in a row (they won 4) - dont forget, CL and international requirements were not as big back then and our youth set up at that time had beckham, butt, scholes and the other wonderkids who are not included in that pic. Roy Keane was also not far away from being signed.

PS
    ----Sharpe
    Ince---Giggs

Mclair

Cantona
    Hughes

sub keeper, Ferguson, Robson, kanchelskis, Blackmore (not in the pic), Dublin and the boy phelan were the main back up players then so thats 19 players who were pretty much in every squad. Phelan, Ferguson and Robson would have been our back up 3 in midfield, Kanchelskis would have filled in anytime Sharpe or Giggs was missing and we signed Cantona to replace Dublin, pushing Mcclair back into midfield. Defensive options were short alright, but them 4 lads would have played with 2 broken legs if they had to.

a few of that team there such as Wallace and Martin wouldnt have played any league games, aslong with Neil Webb (also not in that pic).

92-94 was a great era for the club ,great memories.

I think your being at little misty eyed.

Personally, the only back up player who was any good was Kanchelskis who became first choice after the first title was won. Robson was past it by that stage. The rest were players who should have been good but never really clicked at United because of injuries or the like.

dfx- wrote: »

were they up on a ladder or on the roof or something?:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Mangala's buyout price is crazy high! we wouldn't pay that much for Fabregas so we're hardly going to spunk that on a CB, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jaysus nearly £38m :eek: an offer like that could probably tempt Dortmund into selling Hummels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Jaysus nearly £38m :eek: an offer like that could probably tempt Dortmund into selling Hummels.

They'd never sell Hummels and I doubt he'd be interested in a swap to Manchester from Munich. He's probably the best CB in Germany.

Xavi Martinez on the other hand might be tempted considering they're not playing him in his preferred position.

£35m or £40m on Martinez would be money well spent. Even with us signing Fellaini.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Quandary wrote: »
    They'd never sell Hummels and I doubt he'd be interested in a swap to Manchester from Munich. He's probably the best CB in Germany.

Xavi Martinez on the other hand might be tempted considering they're not playing him in his preferred position.

£35m or £40m on Martinez would be money well spent. Even with us signing Fellaini.

Hummels doesn't play for Bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We're talking about defenders here, I'm not saying he'd come to us, that amount of money is ridiculous for that player though, Dortmund could easily accept an offer for Hummels for the same amount is my point, he'd probably turn us down but the club could still accept it.

It's crazy if United are even considering making that kind of offer, if that kind of money is free then why didn't they add another 12 million to it in the summer and Fabregas could have well been playing at OT this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Been out all day, and the talk of Kanchelskis I've just read has reminded me of my one of my favourite united goals.

Could never get his name on a jersey though - charged per letter in them days. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

^^^^^^^^^
    They were great times. Loved that team. I think the football was more exciting to watch back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Moyes is keeping tabs on the Herrara situation

I presumed the pursuit of Herrara was an act of desperation but if Utd are still after him maybe he's decent. Is he?

I presumed the pursuit of Herrara was an act of desperation but if Utd are still after him maybe he's decent. Is he?

Hardly desperation, he's quality, not in the "world class" variety but very good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

mewe wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^
    They were great times. Loved that team. I think the football was more exciting to watch back then.

Monday Night Football was the best back then! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Been out all day, and the talk of Kanchelskis I've just read has reminded me of my one of my favourite united goals.

Could never get his name on a jersey though - charged per letter in them days. :(

His name was on the first United jersey I ever got. It was for my 7th birthday. He was sold a week later.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Monday Night Football was the best back then! :)

Ah they were great times. :) And The Big Game on ITV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Different point but I always thought United should change the away section to perhaps the upper corner of the North stand. The away section is in one of the most prominent sections of the ground and by all accounts offers a terrific view, which should surely be reserved for the home fans. Anfield in comparison stick away fans in a shoddy little corner with restricted views aplenty (that happpens throughout the ground tbf) and the privelige of home fans above you. I know its been trialled and I think it improved the atmosphere also. I know the basic reasons for the position of the away fans is safety, to get away from the ground easily.

Just thought you guys would like to know that a flood of bets has slashed the odds on Fergie becoming the next Ireland manger

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/flood-of-bets-slashes-odds-on-alex-ferguson-to-become-ireland-boss-29615171.html

Sleep well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Just thought you guys would like to know that a flood of bets has slashed the odds on Fergie becoming the next UTD manger

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/flood-of-bets-slashes-odds-on-alex-ferguson-to-become-ireland-boss-29615171.html

Sleep well

66/1 into 20/1 in a Boylesports manager market. Somewhere in the region of 4 to 7 euro id say

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement