Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The World and it's dog knows that Rio has played horribly. What does Moyes do? Rotate the rest of the defense and also drops Fellaini.

I'm not calling for his head, he should be given time, but that team was poorly picked and showed WBA no respect.

Also, If we cant win the CL, then why are we not resting our players in that competition instead of the PL? Bizarre comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The Moyes defenders on this thread are looking desperate. Mainly because they don't have a single thing to back up their support of him. Blind faith is all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

The Moyes defenders on this thread are looking desperate. Mainly because they don't have a single thing to back up their support of him. Blind faith is all it is.

What would you like to see happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's called patience. Try and get some yourself.

You haven't even posted in here for ages and now you're in in here complaining non stop when the going has got a bit rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

It's early days yet though isn't it? It's a bit harsh judging a man on a job he's only getting to grips with.

Like it or not United are going through a transition period and there will always be bumps and inconsistency when this is happening.

Top four and regroup with new recruitments in the next two transfer windows and you'll be back to where ye were performance wise for champions league and the league.

I think the midfield really is the main problem since Ferguson's time and wasn't addressed. The club didn't sort it last window so the lack of creativity/verve cannot be all blamed on Moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Noticed yesterday that not one of the players stood up to be counted,it's almost as if they were resigned to their fate.Not one even looked angry at being behind.
    There was zero leadership being shown on the pitch.That's part of the problem,Vidic is the only one who seems to do it and he wasn't playing yesterday.
    When things aren't going well the players need to step up and grind out results despite how bad the performances are,we won the league last season despite some pretty awful stuff being played at times with the team pulling results out of games by sheer force of will,this seems to be missing this season for some reason-perhaps it was mainly down to the "Fergie factor" that we won certain games,with his sheer force of will being instilled into the players.Moyes doesn't seem to be able to get this out of his players.For some reason they are just not playing for him.

We are Manchester United & we don't accept mediocre,Moyes should get this into his head & his team asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What would you like to see happen?

I'd like to see moyes actually do something.

Currently the on,y difference between moyes side and fergies is that we are playing poorer. Same players, same formation, same predictable game plan, same problems (amplified).

I don't see moyes actually moving this side in a new direction, unless you count backwards.

We keep hearing it will take time for the players to adapt, to what exactly? What are they being asked to do that is different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

You still haven't answered the fact that you've said Ferguson intentionally sabotaged the team?

Every time its mentioned you disappear again, so hopefully it works again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »
    Going drinking with a load of Scousers,wish me luck.

It went as expected last night,they took great delight in reminding me of United's results & league position.
    My reply was that Moyes is a secret agent sent from Merseyside to ruin the club:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,207 ✭✭✭✭JRant

In fairness to Moyes he's been dealt a bum deal deal by United so far. He obviously identified midfielders to bring in during the summer but Ed decided to travel around Europe making a bit of a tit of himself.
    Being honest Fergie left the midfield in an awful state. Young, Cleverly, Anderson, Valencia and Giggs shouldn't be anywhere near a team with aspirations of being the best in Europe. This problem has been festering for a while now. Moyes isn't helping himself with team selections but it seems he doesn't have a lot of faith in some of the players.
    January is going to be a pivitol time for him. Woodward needs to be told in no uncertain terms that a repeat of this summer and he's gone.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Disaster result yesterday, very hard to see any positives out of the game at all. Maybe its just me but the defeat yesterday seemed different to any other defeats under Sir Alex... it was just so hard to stomach. Its simple players need to be bought to compete with Chelsea, Man City, Spurs not to mention the European superpowers.

Without adding to the first team we will not win major silverware, its a time of transition as Moyes takes the batton on... he needs time, money to spend and our support. I firmly believe Moyes will be a success at United after time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Nothing to do with blind faith. No point in saying you're going to support him then throwing a tantrum after a few games. Not nearly enough time to judge the man.

I'm old enough to remember the "3 years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie" bedsheet protest. At what point in 1986-89 do you think you'd have started hounding Fergie out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Judging a manager based on his reaction to conceding a goal is probably THE most retarded thing I have ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What is there in Moye's record and experience that indicates he can turn it around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I cant agree with anyone who says we could have offloaded Rio in the summer. He was immense last season and there was nothing to suggest he would have degraded so much over the summer. He was in the team of the year ffs.

Had we offloaded him someone else (Evans/Smalling/Jones) would have played in his position, would they have faired any worse than he's looked so far ? I think not. Sometimes a manager needs to know when time is up for a player, Fergie did it with so many stars during the years albeit for different reasons. I'm not singling out Rio for criticism, alot of them need a good kick up the ar$e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

whats rios contract situation does anyone know?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What is there in Moye's record and experience that indicates he can turn it around?

I don't think anyone has said they believe that he will definitely turn it around, however, discussion of sacking the manager after 6 league games is ridiculous, it was always going to be a tough period of transition, it's a new manager coming into a team that has over-performed for Ferguson in recent years.

I really don't know what people were expecting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Inevitable overreaction. Give the man time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    About as much as there is to say he can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

zerks wrote: »
    Noticed yesterday that not one of the players stood up to be counted,it's almost as if they were resigned to their fate.Not one even looked angry at being behind.
    There was zero leadership being shown on the pitch.That's part of the problem,Vidic is the only one who seems to do it and he wasn't playing yesterday.
    When things aren't going well the players need to step up and grind out results despite how bad the performances are,we won the league last season despite some pretty awful stuff being played at times with the team pulling results out of games by sheer force of will,this seems to be missing this season for some reason-perhaps it was mainly down to the "Fergie factor" that we won certain games,with his sheer force of will being instilled into the players.Moyes doesn't seem to be able to get this out of his players.For some reason they are just not playing for him.

We are Manchester United & we don't accept mediocre,Moyes should get this into his head & his team asap.

Rooney was fuming at the goals. Turned around to the defenders and had a go at them for the two goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Giving a chance to Januazj. Actually playing well at home in Europe. Actually willing to give fringe players a chance. Trying to solve the horrendous CM we have had for 3 seasons.

Keeping Rooney
    Keeping Evra
    Keeping Nani

Actually we look much more likely to score goals and bar yesterday and Liverpool are creating more chances than what I saw under Fergie.

This is grasping at straws really. If these are the positives then it really is damning with faint praise. I also find it strange you say we look much much more likely to score goals, we haven't scored from play in five league games ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think people's reaction to the start of the season is reflective of the general instant-gratification attitude of society as a whole at present.

Fair enough, the results and performances so far do not breed optimism but 6 games really? 6 games is when you are drawing conclusions about it not going to work?

I'm no mystic, I think it's 50/50 that Moyes will not be a very short term appointment but a couple of bad results and people are ready to click 'next'. These are fans that speak about loyalty? Really?

If the results had happened to turn out good with a win yesterday and a win against city/liverpool there would be no talk about the ruination of the club, or Moyes' tenure coming to end, even if the performances were as bad.

Case in point: Swansea match. Anyone watching that match would have seen that the performance was terrible, but up popped van Persie to win it for Utd out of thin air.

I guess my overall point is: in your life as well as your following of Utd or whatever your club, have a bit of patience and foresight for christ sake.

I think Moyes has been poor since he came in, but I really hate hearing people use the fact the we won the league last year as a stick to beat him with. I have been saying it for a few years now, but the squad Fergie left was not actually all that good, and we have not actually played well in years.

We got the results sure, no question about that, but our performances as a whole for years now were markedly poorer than those of the Ronaldo or Keane years.

Fact is Fergie left Moyes with a ****load of dead weight, so it isnt all that surprising to see Moyes struggling to find his best team. What disappoints me most is that he wasted a full summer and didn't do anything about it.

On rio,I think he'd be doing fine if not playing well off the plan he has been doing for the last two or three years. Playing him so often has been a large part of the problem. He has gone from one of the best around to an utter has-been overnight.

You still haven't answered the fact that you've said Ferguson intentionally sabotaged the team?

Every time its mentioned you disappear again, so hopefully it works again :)

Jesus Christ.

First of all, I never said that Ferguson sabotaged the team. You used those words, not me. Secondly, it's my opinion that Ferguson was never going to hire someone who had a big stature or reputation. Instead, he selected an apprentice...someone who wasn't going to rock the boat and more than likely do what he's told. If you have a different opinion, that's fine, but seriously, stop going on about it :rolleyes:

To answer the question of what I'd like to see happen, in a way that's obvious, but not very likely:

1. I'd like Moyes to make some big, necessary decisions. Dropping Rio, dumping Young into the reserves until we can sell him to a championship team in January.
    2. Try something new. So far he hasn't changed anything from last year, even though his best players do not lend themselves to these tactics. What does he do as a result? He leaves his best players on the bench.
    3. Stop talking down to the fans of the club. How dare you take a team that won the league by 11 points and suddenly announce that we have no hope of winning the champions league and there are many more dark days to come for the club.

The most astonishing team for me is that a manager who never won a thing was given a 6 year contract and has people bending over backwards on this thread to defend him. Yes you're all going to come out and say "It's called being a fan mate - we're just supporting the team, you should try it sometime." Well listen up, we're only supporters, we don't win trophies or get paid massive wages. Debating the game and the merits of the team and its manager are part and parcel of being a supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

david-moyes-facepalm.gif

You see, that right there is why Moyes will be a failure at Man Utd.

When a goal went in at OT, and the camera went to Ferguson, he sat there with a face like thunder. He scared the crap of the players. Imagine looking over at moyes face-rubbing and thinking "shít, we'd better play up now, lads".

It's your Roy Hodgson time now lads, you're in for a rough season.

Probably one of the most retarded posts I've read on any forum on boards

Jesus Christ.

First of all, I never said that Ferguson sabotaged the team. You used those words, not me. Secondly, it's my opinion that Ferguson was never going to hire someone who had a big stature or reputation. Instead, he selected an apprentice...someone who wasn't going to rock the boat and more than likely do what he's told. If you have a different opinion, that's fine, but seriously, stop going on about it :rolleyes:

To answer the question of what I'd like to see happen, in a way that's obvious, but not very likely:

1. I'd like Moyes to make some big, necessary decisions. Dropping Rio, dumping Young into the reserves until we can sell him to a championship team in January.
    2. Try something new. So far he hasn't changed anything from last year, even though his best players do not lend themselves to these tactics. What does he do as a result? He leaves his best players on the bench.
    3. Stop talking down to the fans of the club. How dare you take a team that won the league by 11 points and suddenly announce that we have no hope of winning the champions league and there are many more dark days to come for the club.

The most astonishing team for me is that a manager who never won a thing was given a 6 year contract and has people bending over backwards on this thread to defend him. Yes you're all going to come out and say "It's called being a fan mate - we're just supporting the team, you should try it sometime." Well listen up, we're only supporters, we don't win trophies or get paid massive wages. Debating the game and the merits of the team and its manager are part and parcel of being a supporter.
    Young is not a Championship player.
    Your posts are terrible tbh.

Jesus Christ.

You said he deliberately picked someone who isn't good enough so that his legacy isn't tarnished.

That's sabotaging the club for self interest, stop back tracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This is grasping at straws really. If these are the positives then it really is damning with faint praise. I also find it strange you say we look much much more likely to score goals, we haven't scored from play in five league games ffs.

What's faint about keeping Rooney Nani and Evra?????????

• Advertisement

Young is not a Championship player.
    You're posts are terrible tbh.

your* learn a bit of grammar before you start slagging off other people's posts.

We don't agree with what you say, so your posts are terrible.

Are you people like this in real life as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I think Moyes has been poor since he came in, but I really hate hearing people use the fact the we won the league last year as a stick to beat him with. I have been saying it for a few years now, but the squad Fergie left was not actually all that good, and we have not actually played well in years.

We got the results sure, no question about that, but our performances as a whole for years now were markedly poorer than those of the Ronaldo or Keane years.

Fact is Fergie left Moyes with a ****load of dead weight, so it isnt all that surprising to see Moyes struggling to find his best team. What disappoints me most is that he wasted a full summer and didn't do anything about it.

This is very true. SAF was a fantastic manager, but for the past few years the team hasn't been great. We really were grinding out results, rather than demolishing teams like we did when Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez were up front.

You said he deliberately picked someone who isn't good enough so that his legacy isn't tarnished.

That's sabotaging the club for self interest, stop back tracking.

Ok, could you find the quote where I said those words? You're telling me that i'm backtracking so you must know exactly what I said. Someone as smart as you wouldn't dream of misquoting someone.

your* learn a bit of grammar before you start slagging off other people's posts.

We don't agree with what you say, so your posts are terrible.

Are you people like this in real life as well?
    Sorry about that, must have been an autocorrect or brainfart, my grammar is usually up to most people's standards.

Either way your posts are still shìt. If you think Ashley Young is Championship standard then you don't have a clue what you're talking about.
    Stop trying to wriggle out of you're other comment about Fergie and his sabotaging. It's cringey stuff. It's very clear what you meant.

What's faint about keeping Rooney Nani and Evra?????????

I'm surprised I need to explain it to be honest, but at one of the biggest most successful clubs in the world simply keeping our players should be a requisite, not a cause for celebration. Especially when two of the names you listed never actually wanted to leave in the first place.

Championship clubs can be happy about keeping their best players, title winners should have rather loftier expectations.

Ok, could you find the quote where I said those words? You're telling me that i'm backtracking so you must know exactly what I said. Someone as smart as you wouldn't dream of misquoting someone.
    Capital letters dude...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

KH25 wrote: »
    This is very true. SAF was a fantastic manager, but for the past few years the team hasn't been great. We really were grinding out results, rather than demolishing teams like we did when Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez were up front.

A lot of people get misty eyed abut 2007/2008

* 2 points after first 3 games
    * 4 goals after first 6 games
    * 7 1-0 wins in the Prem

Make no mistake, the squad we have currently is title winning material. SAF might be the greatest manager ever, but when the squad isn't right(2004-2006) he also struggled.

The type of man that ferguson is he was never going to recommend a manager who was even close to filling his boots.

That is clearly implying that he wanted to appoint someone of substandard quality, so that is legacy isn't challenged, sabotaging the club, for personal gain.

Is English your first language or what? It appears you don't even understand your own posts, let alone other peoples.

Sorry about that, must have been an autocorrect or brainfart, my grammar is usually up to most people's standards.

Either way your posts are still shìt. If you think Ashley Young is Championship standard then you don't have a clue what you're talking about.
    Stop trying to wriggle out of you're other comment about Fergie and his sabotaging. It's cringey stuff. It's very clear what you meant.

Look...this is what i said:
    The type of man that ferguson is he was never going to recommend a manager who was even close to filling his boots.

Sherlock up there has read that as me saying that Ferguson was trying to sabotage the club. And from everything that we have EVER seen of David Moyes, I was absolutely spot on.

A word of advice for ya, don't call other people's opinion shit just because you don't agree with it. It makes you look a bit silly tbh.

Ashley Young is possibly a Premier League player, maybe Sunderland or some team like that. He's not good enough to play for Man Utd, and I'd love you to show me some footage of him in action for us that would prove me wrong.

That is clearly implying that he wanted to appoint someone of substandard quality, so that is legacy isn't challenged, sabotaging the club, for personal gain.

Is English your first language or what? It appears you don't even understand your own posts, let alone other peoples.

You made one hell of a leap there fella. I can't see many people coming out of these woods to defend me but by Jesus...that was impressive.

Capital letters dude...

And that's the point where I leave the playground. Play nicely kids.

• Advertisement

And that's the point where I leave the playground

Yay, finally.

You made one hell of a leap there fella. I can't see many people coming out of these woods to defend me but by Jesus...that was impressive.

So explain why you think fergie would deliberately chose someone he feels couldn't approach his standard?

Look...this is what i said:

Sherlock up there has read that as me saying that Ferguson was trying to sabotage the club. And from everything that we have EVER seen of David Moyes, I was absolutely spot on.

A word of advice for ya, don't call other people's opinion shit just because you don't agree with it. It makes you look a bit silly tbh.

Ashley Young is possibly a Premier League player, maybe Sunderland or some team like that. He's not good enough to play for Man Utd, and I'd love you to show me some footage of him in action for us that would prove me wrong.
    I agree with you on him not being good enough for United. You'll probably find posts of mine that say as much. He would walk into most teams bar the likes of City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs.

So if Fergie intentionally appointing somebody of lower than necessary quality isn't detrimental to the club, what is?

LOL. You pull me up on my grammar and then accuse me of being childish for doing it to you. :D

Yay, finally.

I wouldn't bank on it. He said the same last night and was still around for a good while after...

This is the third time that you've left the conversation because you've been talking out of your hole.

Also, please stop with the condescending kids bollocks when you're the one who has been throwing out the personal insults.

Dicky Pride (or is it Adolf Hipster?) just wants people to talk to because arguing with strangers makes him feel empowered.

Just stop taking the bait.

Dicky Pride (or is it Adolf Hipster?) just wants people to talk to because arguing with strangers makes him feel empowered.

Just stop taking the bait.

Dicky Pryde wasn't Adolf Hipster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Imo Moyes was brought in partly because his way of setting up a team was the same as Fergies. He wasn't going to make major changes to the formations or the style of play and keep a title winning squad going the same as it has done in the last few years. He's not asking players to adjust to anything new so far and yet none bar rooney has played to their own standards. Maybe the team needs to change tactics and formations but how long will it take them to adjust to that?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement