Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People say it is a transition season.

If we were seeing transition on the pitch I could accept it. We aren't though.

I think people just have wildly different assumptions about what the transition is and what will happen.

It's hard to say but for the first season the manager needs to find his feet with training, being the public face of the club, understanding his new players individually, , what motivates them, what approach works to get reactions.

Most importantly he needs to evaluate the squad, and at the right time, make his changes. We have seen what happens when someone comes into a big club and makes quick changes, it doesn't work. Granted Moyes in my view is being a bit slow in his changes, they will come.

He did well in the Rooney speculation in my view, and kept an asset at the club, who looks to be firing on all cylinders. Manager needs credit here.

He has got Nani tied down to a new contract and through his slow re-introduction we can already see a much more invigorated Nani, he looked one of our best on Saturday.

His gentle introduction of Janners. Moyes had a good track record at Everton with managing young prospects, resisting the temptation to burn them out ( See Brendan Rodgers as example how not to utilise young players) and carefully manages their developement.

He has already done some good things, and things I'm happy with. There wasn't this amount of questions and queries of the manager last year, when he failed to utilise Kagawa correctly, but now its a new manager its a vibe of you dont know what your doing.

We are a couple of games in, disrupted with internationals. We have been a bit ragged, and the manager has tinkered a little with personal. It was never going to be a straight forward run of the league, it was just made worse with big games. But I'm sure the manager has seeing a few things that might be making him think.

I think Ferdinand, for a start, needs to be a decision he tackles head on, and doesn't avoid. As much as there has been attention to Moyes, the players have been playing absolutely trash. These guys are experienced premier league winners, and should have a notion how to dismantle a team like West Brom. So they need to take a really hard look at themselves.

Smalling was excellent alongside Evans against Liverpool, I think Ferdinand needs a stint on the sidelines to make him realise he is pathetic at present.

I think Moyes feels Kagawa can operate fine from the left, and SO MANY people here, have a skewered view on Kagawa. Yes he has the potential to be a really good number 10. But he hasn't ever showed it. And people are forgetting that.

For Dortmund he was fairly average in the number 10 role. It was when he was moved out left to accomodate for an injury to Gotze, that Kagawa became devastating, and in turn when Gotze returned, Kagawa was in such good form, Gotze was moved into the no.10 role, which he then flurished in.

Kagawa has the ability to operate from the left floating and moving, I just think with our front line it's too static and there isn't as fluid a movement in the final third as alot of top European clubs.

Fans, as usual, being fickle, short sighted and completely oblivious to reality. I think there is a large population of United fans that need a slap of reality. If you thought we would sail through this season without a hitch, simply put your a moron, with a really REALLY inept clue about football. I'm sorry but it's so bloody stupid for anyone to think things would just seemlessly transition over to the new manager.

End of season the manager can look back, and we can look back, and I'm sure issues and errors can be highlighted and corrected, and then get ready for the next season ( an example, I'd say transfer window dealings will be better going forward)

I would rather Moyes has his six years, with minimal success,, then turn into a Chelsea or City who sack their manager every other season, it's a model that leads to instability and creates player power, that a club cannot recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Was over there on Saturday and can honestly say that it will be some feat to turn this around. To say that the natives are restless is an understatement. First time I can remember the team being booed off at the end of the game

Was never a David Moyes fan as some on here know, but It is cringeworthy to hear him being interviewed.
    January now seems like an eternity away before he can reinforce that squad. That's if anyone will come to United with him in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jambofc wrote: »
    my main concern is yes he needs time but i have seen absolutely nothing to suggest our performances will improve or that moyes has any idea about his best starting 11 or formation.

Welcome to modern football, there is no "first team 11" anymore. Squads win leagues, not first 11's.

Interesting stat is that we only used the same 11 something like twice in a row last season, there was different personal every other week.

I'd like to see people posting what they think is our current first team eleven. And then I'm sure we could maturely pick bones in everyone's first team 11.

Like for example, alot of people would mention Kagawa.
    • **** pre-season routine, was a few weeks behind everyone else, I keep saying, into October -November before we see him match fit
    • Has tried dramatically in the second half of the two games he started
    • Cannot play centrally, Rooney in too fine form

I can totally understand why he is not getting full 90 minutes. For all we know Moyes could be just getting him game time in order to have him up to speed. For all we know Moyes rates him highly, and just wants to nurture him correctly. He got an injury last season, that came from fatigue of his travel. He tends to have pretty rubbish pre-seasons.

Ferdinand has started most of our games, while being pathetic. And I can understand why
    • On paper one of the best CB pairings with Vidic
    • A mainstay first team player with alot of experience
    • Possibly a leader in the dressing room

Moyes might feel if he dropped him straight away there might be some issues. I think Ferguson knew Ferdinand was dipping big time, with his big thing about managing the players gametime etc. etc. I expect to see Ferdinand marginalised, with the more consistent selection of most likely Evans, or Smalling if Evans not fit. But I don't expect it, nor did I, to happen straight away.

We have alot of players underperforming, and it always takes a while for players to come back at the start of the season, get back into the routine and get match sharp. If this was December-January and this was happening, I'd be concerned. Not in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did anyone notice how Carrick is turning back into the player we all hated.His passing is turning into the usual 5 yards back or sideways or else aimlessly hitting it forward.

WBA literally bypassed him on Saturday,there were huge holes in the midfield space that he occupies and he was just strolling around at times.

RVP got a lot of credit last season but Carrick was a revelation in many games,this season that form is disappearing fast and the team is suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Was over there on Saturday and can honestly say that it will be some feat to turn this around. To say that the natives are restless is an understatement. First time I can remember the team being booed off at the end of the game

Was never a David Moyes fan as some on here know, but It is cringeworthy to hear him being interviewed.
    January now seems like an eternity away before he can reinforce that squad. That's if anyone will come to United with him in charge.

Think people really are starting to underestimate the squad. Their is more than enough to push for the league Moyes has just made some bizarre line ups. On Saturday he lined up with two poor full backs, an out of form Rio and a rusty Evans. Anybody could see we were going to struggle and in fairness it was errors that led to the goals.

On the midfield Fellaini not starting was just puzzling. What should have been a great chance for Carrick and Fellaini to work on their partnership was passed up for some reason. Nani in the 2nd half showed much improved form and Janjuaz showed what he can do if trusted in. Obviously the Kagawa situation is worrying. But once Carrick and Fellaini get an understanding we will be stronger in the center. Also i think once we get our best front 4 playing together they will create an understanding and we will be much more fluid going forward.

If Moyes can start the team we all know is our best and get them playing regularly we should make a run for the league. Obviously it's upto Moyes to now stop with bizarre team selections and put out the team below imo.

DDg

Raf Vidic
    Evra

Fellaini Carrick

Nani Rooney Janjuaz

RVP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I'm disappointed by some of the reaction but most of it has been pretty tempered which is a good thing... I am purposely avoiding twitter as I think if I read that I would get rightly depressed by some of the goms that are out there.
    We need to be patient, a dip in form was inevitable, the start was tough, the West Brom game however should have offered a starting point for the rest of the season.
    As for Saturday, I listened on the radio and watched MOTD as I was travelling at ko time. By the sounds of it we were unlucky not to be ahead in the first and just didn't get the run of the ball.
    Nanis performance was a big positive as was Januzaj again getting a decent run, jaysus we need him to sign a contract, I wonder has the policy of offering comparatively modest contracts to young players remained even after Fergie?
    Also, while I wanted him gone in the summer and find it hard to warm to him, purely from a football perspective, Rooney continues to impress.

I'm going to be patient with the manager but I am very worried about the centre of our defence, I know goals stem from other areas of the pitch alot of the time but we just look so ponderous there and seem to lack the desire to just grab a situation by the scruff of the neck and deal with it.

Also, just read Eric Steeles unhelpful comments on the staff situation and on DDG and how he was at the start... do papers sit on this sh!t and wait for a time when the club is struggling or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ericzeking wrote: »
    I'm disappointed by some of the reaction

can you tell me, what exactly are you disappointed with?

would it not be more appropriate to be disappointed with how Moyes tenure has been over the past 3 months and how poor our football and results are, as opposed to the reaction to it?

ive yet to see anything that has been incorrect or off the mark. Moyes needs to turn this around, but at the moment there is nothing to suggest he is good enough to do it. Fergie had bad times, but always turned it around. I dont think he deserved this job, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

This has been coming fora long time,i personally think Fergie knew that and hadn't the stomach to clear out this team and rebuild another one,we've been living on borrowed time for a long time.

I think we should give moyes time,he is making some bizarre selections but my gut feeling is he wants to see these players in the flesh himself before deciding.

Janjuaz has done enough to gain a starting place,Anderson should never play for us again he's only been on the pitch for the full 90 for something like 18 matches,he's a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

can you tell me, what exactly are you disappointed with?

would it not be more appropriate to be disappointed with how Moyes tenure has been over the past 3 months and how poor our football and results are, as opposed to the reaction to it?

ive yet to see anything that has been incorrect or off the mark. Moyes needs to turn this around, but at the moment there is nothing to suggest he is good enough to do it. Fergie had bad times, but always turned it around. I dont think he deserved this job, do you?

If you include the whole sentence rather than pick out what suits you'd see I also said it has been tempered which is a good thing, ie I think largely the fan reaction has been decent, for the most part.

The element that is out there, however small, that want him out already etc etc, sickens me and is even more depressing than dropping some points that we have ample time to make up.

I am of course disappointed by the results and some of the performances but it was not unexpected in fairness. I have seen positives though even in the defeats, alot of people think we are unreal when we win and the world is ending when we loose eg I thought we were pretty poor in midweek but again with a few positives.

I thought Moyes was the right man for the job, I said so much over the summer, we disagree on that, fair enough.
    I have belief he will do a very good job, I have seen positives, there have been positives, it is early. Positives like nani....Rooney....Januzaj getting time...actually buying a midfielder.

What I have been taken aback by is some of his overly negative comments in the press as I thought he was very asured dealing with them in the initial period...however I would also say that in alot of cases people hear what they want to hear or just take out the bit that suits their agenda.

Says a lot.:(

article-2437669-1861ED9A00000578-737_634x425.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

interesting.
    Former Man United goalkeeping coach Eric Steele has questioned David Moyes for ignoring Sir Alex Ferguson's advice to retain his backroom staff.

Steele was axed by Moyes along with Sir Alex's old number two Mike Phelan and first-team coach Rene Meulensteen in the summer.

Instead, Moyes brought Chris Woods, Steve Round and Jimmy Lumsden with him from Everton.
    He spoke to me, Mick and Rene. He listened to the manager's advice, but he wanted to be his own man.

I didn't want to leave. Why would I?

You had the United perspective - the manager saying, 'Keep what we've got, keep the continuity, work with them and they'll guide you through. You're taking on a massive machine here. You've gone from Marks and Spencer's to Harrods.

You've just been part of a team that has had a great season and won the league. David De Gea's had his best season. Does it make sense that you're not retained to continue the good work? Sadly, that's out of my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I've no issues with Moyes ignoring SAF's advice. Moyes is the manager. Fergie is gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Is Moyes turning into the new Ron Atkinson??

And is Fellaini his new Bryan Robson Remi Moses??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Don't know if this has been said because i'm finding it hard to ready back through the thread at the moment but what the WBA game showed me is the glaring need for a proper right back as cover for Rafael.

Jones is a good player, but I think he is in his worst position out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

If Rene Meulensteen and Eric Steele are as good as they like to make out in the media, why haven't they been snapped up by other elite clubs already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jameshayes wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been said because i'm finding it hard to ready back through the thread at the moment but what the WBA game showed me is the glaring need for a proper right back as cover for Rafael.

Jones is a good player, but I think he is in his worst position out there.
    Thought fabio looked very good on the only shot he has been given. Disappointed he wasn't given the role Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Moyes will be given 100% of board backing to see out his contract. I am happy with Moyes and will back him all the way like i did with Fergie in 1986. There were many wants him out after winning nothing for three years and yet, they jumped into Fergie bandwagon after he wins United everything. Give Moyes a chance to settle in, for God Sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

will moyes make xmas? id say youd get decent odds on him being in the dugout in may

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Lads.....

He does not know what he is doing

If he does not steady the ship quick he will be gone by the end of October.
    Nothing he has done so far has impressed me. 6 games played. 2 wins,1 draw, 3 defeats. Tick tock. Tick Tock.

I'll give him 4 more weeks to plug the holes and right the ship. The performances have been abysmal.
    350m annual turnover....the glazers are business men how long will they stand for it?
    The Old Trafford crowd are already turning. Tick Tock.

If Rene Meulensteen and Eric Steele are as good as they like to make out in the media, why haven't they been snapped up by other elite clubs already?

Rene went to Anzhi then the owner went nuts & put the whole team up for sale within a fortnight.As a result Rene isn't there anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

slingerz wrote: »
    will moyes make xmas? id say youd get decent odds on him being in the dugout in may

Sacking the manager so soon doesn't solve anything and will leave us in a worse state.

We would be a complete laughing stock having just gave him a six year contract. With fergie on the board there's no chance of him going before the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I admit I did laugh at c'mon feel the moyes sig

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

zerks wrote: »
    Says a lot.:(

article-2437669-1861ED9A00000578-737_634x425.jpg

What a ridiculous pic. It was Janz culpable for the goal. He doesn't know how to defend and we were shocking on the left in the second half til Nani switched over. He's a good young player but sat showed he cannot start yet.

Also I love how carrick is singled out. Not the lw, lb or cb who are more to blame. lol at how Anderson disappears in the pic. What a useless player. I'd gladly never see him play for us again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

zerks wrote: »
    Rene went to Anzhi then the owner went nuts & put the whole team up for sale within a fortnight.As a result Rene isn't there anymore.

He left there a good while ago and hasn't been snapped up yet. They might be decent coaches but i think their abilities have been exaggerated in the media to be used as another way to say moyes made a mistake letting them go. Afaik rene was the main coach all the time that united style of football was getting worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The majority of Utd fans will not have known a panic like this given Fergies time with the club and all hes won, its only going to take Moyes time to get it right, ye wont be hoovering around 7th or 8th come the turn of the year and given our start and Citys its not like ye're out of any title race.

A swing of 3 or 4 wins on the bounce and ye'll be right back up their in the mix, it maybe papering over poor displays but hes a new man in the door with new ideas, give him time and he'll do a job, theres no point jumping the gun with 32 games left to play.

theres also the hypethocial question, who do you repalce Moyes with if he was pushed, whcih wont happen at any stage this season I reckon.

I thought I heard somewhere that Jol was trying to take Rene M. to Fulham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

It's bad when Chelsea and Liverpool fans make more sense on the united thread than the United supporters :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lordgoat wrote: »
    What a ridiculous pic. It was Janz culpable for the goal. He doesn't know how to defend and we were shocking on the left in the second half til Nani switched over. He's a good young player but sat showed he cannot start yet.

Also I love how carrick is singled out. Not the lw, lb or cb who are more to blame. lol at how Anderson disappears in the pic. What a useless player. I'd gladly never see him play for us again.

Glad somebody said it because that picture is probably the least worthwhile thing anyone has spent time on in the world this weekend.

It's bad when Chelsea and Liverpool fans make more sense on the united thread than the United supporters :(

We've sacked some of the best managers in the game so we've seen what a knee jerk reaction can do.

Carlo sacking was stupid from us, same goes for AVB and same goes for Jose mark I.

Time is what any manager needs especially with the step up of the players at his disposal and the systems he can use are so radical to what hes used to.

It maybe fun to stick the boot in with Utd down in 12th but it wont last long TBH and Utd will be back, the squad hasnt got worse since the summer and ye pretty much walked the leagu last year, as soon as Moyes gets up to speed ye'll be alright and it will be sooner rather then later I reckon so any advantage any team can get between now and then is welcome as its making the league alot more open this year then any other year IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Took things into my own hands yesterday and started a game of FM. Took over the Utd job, Moyes got a job with Norwich.
    I brought in a whole new back room team, signed 4 new midfielders, 2 defenders and ive won the first 6 league games!
    Easy! Feeling a bit better about things now, ill think ill just stay in my FM bubble for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Devil08 wrote: »
    Took things into my own hands yesterday and started a game of FM. Took over the Utd job, Moyes got a job with Norwich.
    I brought in a whole new back room team, signed 4 new midfielders, 2 defenders and ive won the first 6 league games!
    Easy! Feeling a bit better about things now, ill think ill just stay in my FM bubble for the rest of the season.

send in your C.V there incase moyes doesn't last the season :pac:

He left there a good while ago and hasn't been snapped up yet. They might be decent coaches but i think their abilities have been exaggerated in the media to be used as another way to say moyes made a mistake letting them go. Afaik rene was the main coach all the time that united style of football was getting worse

good article here on Rene for anyone doubting how good a coach he was

http://strettynews.com/the-impact-of-rene-meulensteen-at-united/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

TheDoc wrote: »
    Welcome to modern football, there is no "first team 11" anymore. Squads win leagues, not first 11's.

We have alot of players underperforming, and it always takes a while for players to come back at the start of the season, get back into the routine and get match sharp. If this was December-January and this was happening, I'd be concerned. Not in October.

i agree about the strong squad but every team has a strongest 11 and generally if fit play in the big games,moyes is nowhere near knowing his best 11.

but yet 11 teams above us have had players come back and get match sharp quicker.

i am not calling for moyes to be sacked,he needs time but my concern is so far he has shown us nothing and i mean nothing to make me confident, but the foundations are there in place and so far everything has been a mess apart from keeping roo and nani.IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Devil08 wrote: »

Who did you sign? :D Just in case Ed is on Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

All this talk about Moyes needing to settle in etc etc, how is Pep settling in in Bayern?

Thats the difference. We are going backwards, and it's not as if we started out in front in the first place.

• Advertisement

Who did you sign? :D Just in case Ed is on Boards

Believe it or not I signed Ander Herrera! Also De Rossi, bought Pogba back, and Reus. Defenders - Garay and and Hummels.

Sold a load of players to fund these transfers!!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I must admit i did notice this...

Squawka Football ‏@Squawka 28m

Manchester United have completed the most long balls in the Premier League this season (249)

Agueroooo wrote: »

at least they are completed and not failed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anderson and Rio should not start again for a while, if ever :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I must admit I did notice how clueless few are.

ManUtd attempted 3rd most long balls per game behind Spurs and I haven't seen anyone saying Spurs are long ball team. In case you didn't know long ball doesn't mean just lumping the ball forward like Liverpool did when Carroll played, even the diagonal pass to wingers is a long ball and we play that a lot.

In case you also didn't notice this, Madrid have played only 5 lesser long passes than ManUtd and Barca just 12 long passes lesser than ManUtd. It would be good if you at least know what that stat meant.

Also only City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Swansea player more short passes than ManUtd.

And finally Liverpool played only 7 lesser long balls and that's a surprise, even the "Death by football" master playes as many long balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Leroy42 wrote: »
    All this talk about Moyes needing to settle in etc etc, how is Pep settling in in Bayern?

Thats the difference. We are going backwards, and it's not as if we started out in front in the first place.

Yes but Pep has inherited a team that just won the champions league very comfortably with world class players throughout the team.
    Also while I rate the Bundesliga, a struggling United beat Leverkusen 4-2 who are only 1 point behind Pep and Bayern. Premier league is a different animal all together. When Bayern came up against Dortmund in the german equivalent of the charity shield didnt they lose 4-1 or 4-2 or something? I think thats they only match theyve played so far this season against any real rivals from the german league.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I must admit I did notice how clueless few are.

ManUtd attempted 3rd most long balls per game behind Spurs and I haven't seen anyone saying Spurs are long ball team. In case you didn't know long ball doesn't mean just lumping the ball forward like Liverpool did when Carroll played, even the diagonal pass to wingers is a long ball and we play that a lot.

In case you also didn't notice this, Madrid have played only 5 lesser long passes than ManUtd and Barca just 12 long passes lesser than ManUtd. It would be good if you at least know what that stat meant.

Also only City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Swansea player more short passes than ManUtd.

And finally Liverpool played only 7 lesser long balls and that's a surprise, even the "Death by football" master playes as many long balls.

Who called UTD a long ball team?

I noticed Moyes tactics involve a lot of balls going long especially when Fellaini is on the pitch, and less width which is a definite move away fom the traditional UTD style.

thats all.chill

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't think United's long balls are booting them into the box though. If they were, I reckon we might score a few more goals :P More, I find that we have the likes of Rooney trying balls out from the centre of the field to the wings, trying to get them up to the corners.

Even I'm not fully sure about how Moyes is a good choice for us, I have my doubts but comparing us to Bayern or any club is unfair on Moyes. We had same manager for 26 years and for the first time in many years we are changing manager, Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Chelsea all change the managers very regularly so their set up is completely different to ours.

Who called UTD a long ball team?

I noticed Moyes tactics involve a lot of balls going long especially when Fellaini is on the pitch, and less width which is a definite move away fom the traditional UTD style.

thats all.chill

Then what was the stat for?

No. We haven't used Fellaini as target man, which again proves something here.

Fellaini won 2.3 Aerial duels per game and most of the times he plays in CM which means he wins the aerial duel from Goal kicks, so how does it prove that ManUtd play long ball to Fellaini when he hardly even run into the box.

He played in advanced position against City in the second half and in that game he won 3 aerial duels, which was from the goal kicks and might be 1 or 2 in the box.

So how does it prove that we are playing long ball to Fellaini when he rarely makes forward runs or that we are moving away from width when in every game we have played either Young, Valencia or Nani.

In Case you haven't noticed we played more crosses than any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Good Riddance people. Moyes is only human, he made mistakes like all of us. Chelsea and few others sacked managers after few games. We dont want that in United. United should be United together til he proves himself. Look at Arsenal, The fans have been patient with the club with no trophies for 7 years. We cant expect United to win everything every year. Most Moyes critics are United Gloryhunters. Go and find another club that is winnning every year. Barcelona or Bayern Munich that springs in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Good Riddance people. Moyes is only human, he made mistakes like all of us. Chelsea and few others sacked managers after few games. We dont want that in United. United should be United together til he proves himself. Look at Arsenal, The fans have been patient with the club with no trophies for 7 years. We cant expect United to win everything every year. Most Moyes critics are United Gloryhunters. Go and find another club that is winnning every year. Barcelona or Bayern Munich that springs in my mind.

http://www.sincearsenallastwonatrophy.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Moyes is right about the 5-6 world class players bit. I'm not sure he should have said publicaly though.

For the past 3-4 seasons I have thought our squad has fallen behind those top european sides with too many average players. Our wingers are no world beaters and this is a big problem when you rely on width. Our CMF, Carrick is our best player in there and he would not get into the starting 11 of the top sides. He has made the most of his gifts but is not world class. Clev and Ando are not good enough either.

Scholes was never replaced. Rio, Evra and eventually Vidic will be huge losses. Moyes inherited a squad that was able to win the EPL due to having a great manager at the helm and the poor from of other teams.

We may be able to mount a title challenge but we can forget about Europe for this season and maybe next.

In terms of transition I think if we are to invest heavily it may be a good time to move towards a more central or modern formation and style of play. The problem is whether Moyes has the tactical know how to implement this. His Everton team was solid and hard to beat but they were not know for variation of style or incisive tactical preformances.

We are still very early into the new era and even Fergie had bad starts. Yes there are many question marks and worries but we won't know about Moyes UTD credentials until he has had one full season in the EPL, UCL and the other cups with UTD under his belt.

Its not been an ideal start, transfer window & defeats but we can't possibly judge or call for his head yet. He could turn it around, he could bring in the right players in January. We just have to sit tight and take a bit of stick from opposition fans in the meantime and given how spoilt we have been in the EPL era its the least us fans can do for the club before calling for the managers head before he has even warmed the seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ah yeh we are all glory hunters because we hate how the team are playing and a manager making awful decisions, A lot of people never wanted Moyes in the 1st place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

You're comparing managing at Everton to managing at Barcelona, that's just bonkers. It takes time to adjust to a bigger club, and bigger expectations. A much more relevant comparison is Brendan Rodgers, this time last year Liverpool were lower in the table than United are now. It's going to take at least a season of moving on the older players and drafting in their replacements. Out of interest where did United finish in SAF's first few seasons? Would you have sacked him? Where would United have been in the last 20 years without him?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement