Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

"Four points from his first three games as manager of Manchester United. Similar lacklustre performances and reliance on the same ol' players as the last regime. Liverpool top of the table. A bloke with a ridiculous afro in midfield.

Not sure about this Alex Ferguson fella."

Critics, October 1986.

pretty sure alex took over in Nov 86 though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I've never been compelled to buy one of those end of season review DVDs but I'd sure as hell like to buy the pre-season one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Rafael on Instragram saying he's back training and will be able to play from next week!

Class.

Brilliant news if true. We really need him playing every game. Jones is not a RB. If Rafael is out, Fabio should be given a chance at RB.

We can look forward to the City game in the hope that for once, we have a player capable of standing up to Yaya Toure. He has completed overrun and overpowered our midfield on the last 5 or 6 occasions we have played them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

errm no i didnt. read it again and keep reading it properly until you understand it.

you very clearly called him a part-time fan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

our buddy Miguel rates the transfer window and ranks us as number 19, with only Newcastle below us.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/9195?cc=5739

TheDoc wrote: »

i 100% did not. what part of the full statement can you not understand? i was referring to him thinking we were part time fans, it is blatantly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

why would you be?

What over the course of the last 2 months gives you faith that Woodward can completely turn around from bumbling incompetence to efficient, deal closing, CEO?

I do hope lessons are learned, they need to be, but I don't see how anyone can be confident they will be.

At the end of the day, we will soon announce record revenue, and that is all Woodward and the Glazers care about. That is their focus, not signing players.

I have my opinion but I suspect you'll try and shoot them down by whatever means necessary or just resort to your new FO insult you seem so keen on lately.

Oh and, shock horror at the glazer's wanting to make money revelation..... been that way since they bought the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

United really only needed a CM and they have bought the best one available in the Premier League ... United really only needed one

I couldn't disagree more. We needed two and perhaps even three midfielders, none of the current options are worth a damn.

Even with Felliani, an injury to 32 year old Carrick will leave us with a gaping hole to fill and only Phil Jones to fill it.

our buddy Miguel rates the transfer window and ranks us as number 19, with only Newcastle below us.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/9195?cc=5739

i 100% did not. what part of the full statement can you not understand? i was referring to him thinking we were part time fans, it is blatantly obvious.

"we all cant be wrong and not knee jerking or part time fans like you and the comical ali brigade seem to want to think"

You need to have a re-visit on how you type so, cause your point only came across to address a frequent visitor to OT as a part time fan, and made you look a proper dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I genuinely think that some people here should consider supporting a different club where they don't fundamentally disagree with everything that happens at that club, for their own sanity, and everyone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have my opinion but I suspect you'll try and shoot them down by whatever means necessary or just resort to your new FO insult you seem so keen on lately.

Oh and, shock horror at the glazer's wanting to make money revelation..... been that way since they bought the club.

Honestly, what are the signs that give you confidence in Woodward?

And if someone tells me I am week minded, or otherwise directly and offensively insults me, I will tell them to FO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

You need to have a re-visit on how you type so, cause your point only came across to address a frequent visitor to OT as a part time fan, and made you look a proper dick.

no its quiet clear what i meant, but you for some reason are getting your knickers in a twist today getting involved in something that doesnt actually involve you and looking for every reason to throw out petty unfounded insults.

you backed a CE yesterday morning with a Willy Waving post and you got it wrong, we all make mistakes but you come on then and try to justify it time and time again.

you come on here today like martin luther king preaching from your high horse and what not to increase your thanks count and appeal to the jerk circle masses with petty little rants that have no foundation. you say your sick of posting here, well you dont have to...the place will survive just fine. it maybe a s*ithole at times, but me, your or anybody leaving it wont change that..

by the way, which team do you actually support yourself as i am not fully sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

With everybody seemingly in agreement now on what would be United's strongest 11 would anyone else prefer to see Nani on the left and Kagawa on the right? It allows Nani to cut in on his right foot and puts more of the wing back role on Rafa instead of Evra, who might be getting too old to be bombing up and down the pitch as often.

He is Team Woodward clearly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

The transfer window has been a mess from start to finish for Utd, honestly can't see how anyone could think otherwise.

Utd spent a long time chasing Thiago without even bidding apparently. Then there was the "bid" to buy Fabregas, a player who Barca didn't want to sell and who himself didn't want to leave. Utd came in with a low bid and when they said no utd came back with a "ah you're playing hardball" attitude and kept bidding, still not reaching the players current value, whether you agree with that value is another point.

Then Utd offer (I think) £28m for Baines and Fellaini which obviously pisses Everton off and I'm sure Moyes saying Everton shouldn't stand in their way didn't help, as if he'd have allowed it to happen if he was still Everton manager. While Fellaini could be seen as needed given Utd's long term midfield issues, with Evra (better than Baines imo), Fabio and Buttner, Baines seemed a waste of resources.

Then the move for Herrera. I'll be honest I don't know a lot about him but reports I read seemed positive. By all accounts he wants to join, so all Utd have to do is pay the realease clause which they know (or at least should). But Utd try to haggle and the deal falls through as Bilbao, notoriously hard to deal with are never going to accept it.

Utd end up signing Fellaini, a player who has been available all along and no one else seemed interested in, with a release clause thats less than Utd end up paying. He's a decent signing to be fair but not one to get excited about, particularly at £27 million. Finally the late loan deal falls through to cap it all. A mess from start to finish and all very easily avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

no its quiet clear what i meant

Honestly it wasn't!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Trying to re-read the statement over and over to figure out how it wasn't meant to call him a part time fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

ShooterSF wrote: »
    With everybody seemingly in agreement now on what would be United's strongest 11 would anyone else prefer to see Nani on the left and Kagawa on the right? It allows Nani to cut in on his right foot and puts more of the wing back role on Rafa instead of Evra, who might be getting too old to be bombing up and down the pitch as often.

There's no time for that type of constructive talk right now. There is arguments to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Good job Woodward he's even got the fans turning on each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He didn't. He could have framed the sentence in a better way but what homer said was people calling him/them part time fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trying to re-read the statement over and over to figure out how it wasn't meant to call him a part time fan.

put a comma after 'part time fans', and it makes sense in what Homer said he meant.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He didn't. He could have framed the sentence in a better way but what homer said was people calling him/them part time fans.

That's exactly what it was. There was a comma missing in the sentence, but I think most know that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Utd end up signing Fellaini, a player who has been available all along and no one else seemed interested in, with a release clause thats less than Utd end up paying.

No it isn't. Some sources saying the release clause was £30 million which makes a lot more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I couldn't disagree more. We needed two and perhaps even three midfielders, none of the current options are worth a damn.

Even with Felliani, an injury to 32 year old Carrick will leave us with a gaping hole to fill and only Phil Jones to fill it.

Not many CM better than Anderson or Jones, who has hardly played there for United, would be happy to wait for Carrick or Fellaini to get injured to get a game.

Think it's extremely harsh and completely wrong to say Carrick isn't worth a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

News all of all these late bids (Khedira) smacks of desperation on Utd's part but who knows, maybe Fergie was partial to a last minute bid too. It's just the spotlight is greater on this particular window.

I've said it before, Moyes will live and die by his decisions so I'm waiting to the end of the season to judge.

Its offical that the Coentrao deal has fallen through now
    It is understood that the initial paperwork was submitted before the 23:00 BST deadline on Monday. This contained the outline of the deal, the signature of the player and both clubs.

That gave all parties an hour to complete the deal. But Madrid backed away when their attempt to recruit a replacement left back, Guilherme Siqueira from Granada, fell through because he instead joined Benfica.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23941584

On a huge plus note RVP says he can play for another 10 yrs
    "The World Cup won't be my last big tournament. I've never had a major injury, hardly any muscle problems. I will play for another 10 years."

The former Arsenal man cites the influence of Manchester United team-mate Ryan Giggs as a source of motivation in prolonging his playing career.

"Yes, serious, that's my goal when I feel myself like I do now," he continued. "It's a drive for me when I see Ryan Giggs train every day fantastic and play fantastic."

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/137/england/2013/09/03/4234722/van-persie-i-will-play-for-another-10-years?ICID=HP_TS_4

• Advertisement

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    No it isn't. Some sources saying the release clause was £30 million which makes a lot more sense.

That hasn't been confirmed, to be fair the one I'm speculating on isn't either, but does seem to be getting referenced a lot. He's overpriced at 27 mill, 30 is crazy altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So in a 4-4-2 now we look much better. I am not sure where to put certain players, I know who I don't want in the team...these players with Rooney available - yes.

Nani--Carrick--Fellaini--Kagawa
    RVP---Rooney---

I put Kagawa there as he needs to be in the team, or would a....

Nani--Carrick--Fellaini
    Kagawa
    ---RVP---Rooney --

...be better, Rafael and Evra giving more width.

I would avoid playing most of our wingers who do not inspire confidence, from the tour the following would give one confidence - Zaha, Lingard and Zanuzaj. They should be given chances. Pity none of them can play further back in midfield.
    Against Crystal Palace, Kagawa should be given 60 minutes at least - he will be coming off a long flight and two matches in Japan, and depending how the match is going Zanuzaj should be used.

With Rooney out and possibly Valencia filling in for an injured Rafael and Jones...
    ---Carrick--Fellaini--
    Nani--Kagawa--Zaha
    RVP---

Lingard has a good eye for goal and he needs a chance. Play these players ahead of Giggs, would rather Anderson given a chance ahead of Cleverley at this stage on the bench.
    I have hope in our younger players. I am sure Zaha would love to play against his old club and he should be given the chance.

You win nothing with youngsters remember :P

The transfer window was very disappointing apart from getting Fellaini but the team ain't bad, just need certain players to disappear from the starting team sheet. Honestly, I have more confidence in some of the younger players than certain established players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

At the start of the transfer window, with Moyes in place, deep down I thought a deal for Fellaini would be our lot even though I wanted so much more.

But I never expected us to actually broaden our pursuit so much and actually go for quality CM's and especially not in such an aggressive manner. I got my hopes up several times thinking we were actually going to do it this time but that soon passed after bungled deal after bungled deal occurred.

And in the end what we're left with is technically all I expected to begin with, but instead of being content I'm pissed off with how we managed to be so inept in every single deal we tried to make, even in the one where we actually got our man we ended up paying more than we should ever have had to! Not to mention the crap that went on with Thiago, Fabregas, Herrera etc. and then when you add to that the actual quality that has moved to other clubs this Summer you have to wonder what the fùck we were doing. Who's idea was it to place bids so low they couldn't even be considered low balling, bidding the same amount for a player twice, leaving everything until the last minute.

I bet there's a lot of boardrooms in other clubs around Europe with stories about our dealings now just laughing and there's probably not much chance we'll be taken too seriously by any club we've dealt with this Summer again unless we show some money now.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/137/england/2013/09/03/4234722/van-persie-i-will-play-for-another-10-years?ICID=HP_TS_4

We should have offered them Buttner as a replacement :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Would anyone like an argument?

27 / Male / Dublin

Hit me up.

• Advertisement

News all of all these late bids (Khedira) smacks of desperation on Utd's part but who knows, maybe Fergie was partial to a last minute bid too. It's just the spotlight is greater on this particular window.

I've said it before, Moyes will live and die by his decisions so I'm waiting to the end of the season to judge.

Didn't we bid for Neymar on the last deadline day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

master-t wrote: »
    Would anyone like an argument?

27 / Male / Dublin

Hit me up.

268732-boxing-pictures.jpg

Didn't we bid for Neymar on the last deadline day

Yeah, £38 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Can't wait for Giggs' response to this...

dahat wrote: »
    268732-boxing-pictures.jpg

Jaysus!!

Actually, now that we are finished signings for now, where do people think we will finish?

People said where if we didn't sign anyone etc, and now we know how our rivals will line out - so what's the predictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

master-t wrote: »
    Actually, now that we are finished signings for now, where do people think we will finish?

Heart says 1st.

Head says 2nd

Definitely top 3.

I have a 50 quid bet we'll finish above Arsenal this year, should collect in May!

Top 3 for me, but should mount a good challenge and hoping for first. Chelsea didn't strengthen **** all and will rely on Jose's tactics to improve, something which could be dangerous. City spent money but didn't improve dramatically. So while it will be a race between the three clubs, it won't be as tough as some make out in my opinion.

Not many CM better than Anderson or Jones, who has hardly played there for United, would be happy to wait for Carrick or Fellaini to get injured to get a game.

But who says a quality midfielder would have to wait for an injury, they can rotate in and out the same as any defender or striker would. Never mind injury, we could simply give Carrick a rest from time to time.

no its quiet clear what i meant, but you for some reason are getting your knickers in a twist today getting involved in something that doesnt actually involve you and looking for every reason to throw out petty unfounded insults.

no, I just don't like how you made an insult to a contributor. If you didn't mean it, it's your bad English, not mine. You've been quick to point out in previous debates how your a season ticket holder, and I was hoping your not one of those that feels your ticket entitles you to higher values or opinions. But you very clearly called him a aprt time fan, which I didn't appreciate.
    you backed a CE yesterday morning with a Willy Waving post and you got it wrong, we all make mistakes but you come on then and try to justify it time and time again.

I did, because he seems to be getting blasted by people based purely on facts and speculation. If he did horrendously poor work, it was be reviewed by the club and action taken. I'm not going to jump on a bloke in his few weeks on the job based on paper hearsay.

At the end of the day its about your expectations, my happy expectations were a CM, most notibly Fellaini, so I'm happy enough. You don't seem to have had any, you wanted us to go splurge cash all over the place as some form of intention. Which is fine, but thats your opinion, there is no right or wrong when it comes to expectations. Sure there might be a train of thought that Woodward was muck this window, but there is a pretty good counter arguement that there was alot of factors against him he could not deal with, and I'd argue Gill could either.
    you come on here today like martin luther king preaching from your high horse and what not to increase your thanks count and appeal to the jerk circle masses with petty little rants that have no foundation. you say your sick of posting here, well you dont have to...the place will survive just fine. it maybe a s*ithole at times, but me, your or anybody leaving it wont change that..

How is what I'm saying, any different your posts or those of some others like Mitch, who anytime you post it is a constant reference to "Sham this" "Joke that". We get it, you didn't like how things went and you thought we could do better. That's fine. What's not fine is you having to say it every twenty minutes, and then turn as if we factually were terrible in the window. With a basis and foundation of nothing.
    There are plenty of lads here that have been happy with business. Yeah so it was a little last minute, to be expected, a pretty big transitional period. The point being we can argue until the next window over it.

There are some that think we should have spent about 200million and signed Thiago, Fabregas, Ozil, Ronaldo and spent 6 weeks putting Pele into cryogenic age reversal so he could in the squad.
    And there are those of us that have a bit of understanding that it's a big transition, understand that the fans being calm and patient is going to be critical and that a CM was required, and that has been done. Something the revered Gill failed to do for over 6 years in fairness.

I am most probably the immovable object to your unstoppable force. I'm not simply going to accept this was a disaster window, when that opinion is being based of journalist rumours and in some parts unrealistic, or no expectations, on the part of fans.

I would have assumed that was obvious....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Top 3 for me, but should mount a good challenge and hoping for first. Chelsea didn't strengthen **** all and will rely on Jose's tactics to improve, something which could be dangerous. City spent money but didn't improve dramatically. So while it will be a race between the three clubs, it won't be as tough as some make out in my opinion.

Chelsea dont have an actual striker?? mental

And Eto'o who I will admit is a wild card for me, cause I haven't seen him that much. Still, would he be considered the missing link for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Fair play to Fellaini.

He could of easily refused to play for Everton in the last few days like Cabaye but he kept quiet and went about his business.

Only about 8 bells last night did he begin to **** himself and head to Evertons ground.

I think he will be a good edition to the squad. He can play up the pitch behind the striker or as a defensive midfielder.

WE SIGNED AN ACTUALLY CENTRAL MIDFIELDER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

But who says a quality midfielder would have to wait for an injury, they can rotate in and out the same as any defender or striker would. Never mind injury, we could simply give Carrick a rest from time to time.

The best players will expect and want to play in most games, especially the big ones. It's also important for form and consistency. It would be nice to have better CM than Cleverley and Anderson, but it would be hard to keep them all happy. This has been given as a reason why Fabregas might have been open to a move. Carrick probably could do with rest, but would and should get to play in most games. Fellaini also, I'd expect him in there over Anderson, Cleverley and Giggs. If United had another of their quality, or better, would also expect them in there almost every game.

The best players will expect and want to play in most games, especially the big ones. It's also important for form and consistency. It would be nice to have better CM than Cleverley and Anderson, but it would be hard to keep them all happy. This has been given as a reason why Fabregas might have been open to a move. Carrick probably could do with rest, but would and should get to play in most games. Fellaini also, I'd expect him in there over Anderson, Cleverley and Giggs. If United had another of their quality, or better, would also expect them in there almost every game.

No, I don't accept this at all. I said it earlier in the summer, but why can people accept that a club can have four top strikers, but three midfielders would seemingly be a recipe for disaster?

I see no reason why three top midfielders could not rotate well over the season, especially if the third is a more creative central midfielder. With around fifty games a season, even playing two from three will see all of them getting plenty of gametime. And when it comes to the big games, sure we play three in midfield as it stands anyway. The only difference would be instead of Giggs and Cleverley we are playing some proper midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Posted up last night I backed utd to announce the first permanent transfer AFTER the window closed, was watching it and they mentioned Fellaini but it wasnt confirmed, and Fulham annmounced some player...

Anyhow checked this morn and it came in!!!

Happy days, cheers Moyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Thank fcuk that fiasco is over for us. Serious questions need to be asked of the "transfer business team". We may have been a bit of a laughing stock but at least we signed a player who will add a lot to our first team. I'm delighted Fellaini is playing for us now!

Just imagine if we signed no one :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Posted up last night I backed utd to announce the first permanent transfer AFTER the window closed, was watching it and they mentioned Fellaini but it wasnt confirmed, and Fulham annmounced some player...

i remember you saying it yesterday.

fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I had a €5 on it also, could have sworn they said Everton 1st but I'm not arguing!

Saw this on another site, seems to be we did sign him
    http://www.eatsleepsport.com/manchester-united/united-swoop-for-swiss-super-talent-1627805.html#.UiX4-H_Ck2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

None of my business, but since you're having a public conversation about it: is PayPal not a thing wherever you are?

Just in case there is any doubt, PayPal was obviously my first suggestion.

I'll post back in this thread if he ever pays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement