Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

GSPfan wrote: »
    Whats going on with your spelling Lordgoat? Ha. Are you typing while driving? :)

Autocorrect on phone. Have and gave and if and of are all the same. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kryogen wrote: »
    Are people blind to Janjuaz failings as player (right now?)

Calls for him to be starting are a bit much tbh, he is a good prospect, has some definite class, it does show through, but he is not disciplined enough to be starting games right now, someone threw up pics not too long ago to bash Carrick, all I could do was laugh because it was Jans not having a clue how to defend that was more at fault for the goal!

I put up that pic,it wasn't meant to bash Carrick but show what was happening between our midfield & defence against West Brom,there were huge gaps for WBA midfielders to run into and it caused panic at the back.

I also posted later that that goal was more Buttner's fault than Januzaj's,Buttner charged down the line,tried a clever ball to Januzaj,lost it and both players were out of the game,leaving a huge gap down their flank.At least Januzaj tried to get back.
    Even so,for all Carrick's experience he failed to show any leadership on the field,he does have a bad habit of letting players run past him.Stats mask a lot,he leads the interception table but never seems to throw in a tackle,there has been many times when I've roared at the tv for him to tackle his opponent.

It just highlights our deficiencies in midfield that we have to depend on him so much.He's the wrong side of 30 now and still we clamour for decent midfielders with him still being used as the anchor for our midfield while anyone paired with him has been way below par.Along with this,the lack of quality from our wingers has led to very slow attacking play with poor movement and far too often the likes of Carrick has been left with no option but to pass the ball back or try hail Mary passes.How many times over the last season have we seen even the likes of Vidic pleading for movement or somebody to show for the ball,our play has become too predictable and easy to play against.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

On the subject of deadwood have Nani or Anderson ever angled for a move away to get first team action in their 6 years on the United bench or have they just been happy to pick up just enough appearances to get medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I cant wait in May for all the doubters and ABU to eat their words. Moyes will come up trumps.

Any reasoning to this theory?

Or is it just blind faith like religion for example?

On the subject of deadwood have Nani or Anderson ever angled for a move away to get first team action in their 6 years on the United bench or have they just been happy to pick up just enough appearances to get medals.

I was gonna bite, but Im gonna play GTA instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the handling of Rio and Kagawa are easily the two most baffling things currently happening in the United setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Any reasoning to this theory?

Or is it just blind faith like religion for example?

Eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

magnumbud wrote: »
    i was saying we reacted against pool. i was making a joke.

No place for jokes here,you do know we are in crisis:p

Eh ?

You say Moyes will come good and allude to the fact that you believe United will win the league.

I am wondering how you got to this conclusion, is it just blind faith or what have you seen that would lead you there?

Im gonna assume its blind faith anyway

• Advertisement

You say Moyes will come good and allude to the fact that you believe United will win the league.

I am wondering how you got to this conclusion, is it just blind faith or what have you seen that would lead you there?

Im gonna assume its blind faith anyway

Oh, Thanks, Wait til May i said. Not just the League, maybe the FA or the League Cup or even the Champion League. I am expressing my own honest opinion. Am i allowed to do that ? Good day to you. No offence meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oh, Thanks, Wait til May i said. Not just the League, maybe the FA or the League Cup or even the Champion League. I am expressing my own honest opinion. Am i allowed to do that ? Good day to you. No offence meant.

This reads like something written by an deposed African prince.

keane2097 wrote: »
    This reads like something written by an deposed African prince.

What a Deposed African prince gotta do with United ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Do you think kagawa is better than valencia on the wing?

Valencia only plays on the right wing (as he's unbelievably one footed). Kagawa doesn't.

Your question should be "Do you think Nani is better than valencia on the wing?"

The answer to that is going on Valencias form over the last two seasons is yes Nani should be ahead of Valencia on the wing.

As to Kagawa, he's infinitely better than Young on the left.

Valencia only plays on the right wing (as he's unbelievably one footed). Kagawa doesn't.

Your question should be "Do you think Nani is better than valencia on the wing?"

The answer to that is going on Valencias form over the last two seasons, yes Nani should be ahead of Valencia on the wing.

As to Kagawa, he's infinitely better than Young on the left.

Valencia is handy to have, cos he runs back to the defence unlike Nani. But i admit Nani is a better crosser than Valencia.

Valencia is handy to have, cos he runs back to the defence unlike Nani. But i admit Nani is a better crosser than Valencia.

Wrong. Nani tracks back plenty.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Wrong. Nani tracks back plenty.

Nah, I dont think so... Respecting your opinion. Valencia was a full back some years ago. He is an expert at it. But I liked Nani alot, great player.

Nah, I dont think so... Respecting your opinion. Valencia was a full back some years ago. He is an expert at it. But I liked Nani alot, great player.

Ya he really showed how great he is at it against city!

Common misconception IMO about Nani is that he doesn't track back.

Common misconception IMO about Nani is that he doesn't track back.

Yeah ,You're right. Apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

On the Fergie telling Moyes to keep his backroom staff point. What did people expect he'd say? Nah they're crap, get rid? It is common courtesy for him to try to keep the men he worked with employed. It would have been one of his biggest concerns when he decided to retire that it may have put some people out of work for a while. It would have been poor form in a human sense. from Fergie to not do that but he would have expected Moyes to bring in his own men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Are people blind to Janjuaz failings as player (right now?)

Calls for him to be starting are a bit much tbh, he is a good prospect, has some definite class, it does show through, but he is not disciplined enough to be starting games right now, someone threw up pics not too long ago to bash Carrick, all I could do was laugh because it was Jans not having a clue how to defend that was more at fault for the goal!

People brush over a lot of faults when a new talent comes along, some of it is understandable I guess, particularly when the player is young, and has come through the academy. He is getting game time, that I am happy about, he is not good enough to start yet though, not in any meaningful game anyway.

When we are setting up with 4 defenders, 3 of whom have been centre backs in almost all of our games this year, and Carrick and Fellaini screening the defence, the defensive quality of the front four should be almost irrelevant.

The front four in that formation should be sent out to focus on creating and scoring with defending almost an after-thought. Part of our problem this year is that we haven't occupied the opposition's half as much as we used to. This invites pressure onto the defence as the other team aren't as worried about our forward line.

The fact that Young's final average position against City was further back than Carrick says it all. That is fundamentally wrong and the cautious nature of setting up your team like that can have the opposite effect of ceding too much ground to the opposition and putting ourselves under pressure.

Make them worry about us from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I saw that picture blaming Carrick for the goal yesterday and read the comments saying that it was the fault of Januzaj not defending properly, then I went and re-watched the goal a few times. There's no way the goal was Januzaj's fault. Not a chance.

He gave the ball away trying a pass to Butner - no issue there, he has to try passes like that. He back-pedalled a little and then squared up to the first West Brom player carrying the ball forward who passed it to Amalfitano - he squared up a little early, he could have run that first West Brom player down the line, but that was a small mistake and there were plenty of players already back to deal with Amalfitano. Januzaj then sprinted back and got on Amalfitano's heels - no issue there; he could have tried getting around on the cover behind Rio, but the route around Rio and Carrick was way too long for that; Carrick was in the best position to go and cover Rio, but he didn't do it.

Carrick was at fault for not getting back on the cover once Rio stepped up, if he wasn't going to make the tackle himself the first thing he should have been thinking was getting back on the cover, although he only had a moment to decide. Jones and Anderson were very poor with their covering positions, not bothering to get back at all and so being nowhere to cover when needed. Rio was very poor with his attempted tackle. Butner was very poor with his lack of sprinting back, although he would never have got back in time for how it worked out he still should have tried in case it went differently. Januzaj's fault for that goal is far less than the other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Taking a sample size of one on possibly his worst game regarding defending is not an accurate representation of the player.

He beats Nani hands down in that department every time. That being said I like Nani more, especially going forward.

Carrick had a stinker on Saturday as did about four other players.

Actually Carrick doesn't seem to be his usual self this season, which is worrying as we rely on him so much.

This is a big part of why we are not playing well so far imo. Last season when Carrick was rested we lacked ideas until he appeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I might get slaughtered for admitting this but Utd's poor start has made this season more interesting. Whereas Utd won most games (or if they went behind, you knew that they'd usually come back), this season 3 points is never guaranteed. Much more exciting. I won't be saying this if the season is a disaster but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Not sure if serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Our attacking play will not improve with Rooney running the attack. Alarmingly, Moyes seems to see him as the centrepiece of it, thinking that he can be the creative hub needed to regulate our attacking play and unlock defences. He can't. His control in tight areas isn't up to scratch and his passing lacks the incisiveness required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Our attacking play will not improve with Rooney running the attack. Alarmingly, Moyes seems to see him as the centrepiece of it, thinking that he can be the creative hub needed to regulate our attacking play and unlock defences. He can't. His control in tight areas isn't up to scratch and his passing lacks the incisiveness required.

Why does any one player have to do it alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Why does any one player have to do it alone?
    He's the one tasked with doing it to be fair. In a role that affords him freedom of movement and little defensive responsibility. We're not creating much with him there so questions need to be asked. Again. This isn't the first time we've seen such a lack of incision from him in that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Totally agree with this.

I don't deny that Rooney exerts a massive influence on games, or that he has played very well this season, because that would be silly.

But he just isn't the creative force that the likes of Ozil or Mata are. You might see him ping a hollywood ball long into Van Persie, but you won't see him playing intricate one-twos inside the penalty area, or splitting three defenders with a low short pass like Scholes was able to do.

Its not necessarily a criticism, he offers a different game to that type of player, a more physical bombastic game. But sometimes we would be better with the craft of an Ozil rather than the explosive infuence of Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney definitely isn't as crafty as other high profile number 10s but he offers more than enough with his all round game for that role. He's stronger, a better goal scorer and has better movement in the box than the likes of Mata and Ozil. The problem is the lack of creativity in the central midfield, not Rooney.

I am certain that if those other number 10s took Rooney's place in this United team they would struggle to create too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Taking a sample size of one on possibly his worst game regarding defending is not an accurate representation of the player.

He beats Nani hands down in that department every time. That being said I like Nani more, especially going forward.

The fact is Valencia is overrated and Nani is underrated for defensive work. Valencia looks better defensively because he usually lets Rafael do his attacking duties. Both track back but Valencia obviously more so as a more negative winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

If Giggs features on Wednesday, he'll move ahead of Raul in what would be his 145th appearance in Europe.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    The fact is Valencia is overrated and Nani is underrated for defensive work. Valencia looks better defensively because he usually lets Rafael do his attacking duties. Both track back but Valencia obviously more so as a more negative winger.

No. Nani is a better overall player than Valencia but defensively Valencia is much better than Nani. Nani does defensive work, but at times i have seen him half heartedly defend.

Valencia wins in that particular area every time for me.

Nani does defensive work, but at times i have seen him half heartedly defend.

This is one of those myths that has been repeated so much that people now think it is a fact.

In reality Nani is perfectly fine defensively, particularly for his role in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This is one of those myths that has been repeated so much that people now think it is a fact.

In reality Nani is perfectly fine defensively, particularly for his role in the team.

Perfectly fine yes, not as good as Valencia though. Which is what he was saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Perfectly fine yes, not as good as Valencia though. Which is what he was saying.

I think it's an awful lot closer than is being made out. Valencia's defending is very overrated if you ask me. I'm not much of a Nani fan either but I think his is pretty underrated. Rarely see him get caught out.

No, thats not what he said, he said Nani was not perfectly fine.
    Nani does defensive work, but at times i have seen him half heartedly defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

No he said Valencia is much better at defending. I don't see anybody saying Nani is as good defensively. All we are saying is Valencia is overrated and Nani underrated for their defensive work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

No, thats not what he said, he said Nani was not perfectly fine.

Semantics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just wondering why such a huge club like Man Utd did not go for a manager whos CV matches the club in terms of success. I said it before Moyes was appointed that yous should of appointed Ancelotti. This is not a dig at Moyes, but jaysus it was a huge risk appointed a manager who has won absolutely nothing in the game.

I said at times, this is the exception and not the norm for him and its not a myth as I have seen it happen a handful of times as opposed to Val's game against City which was rare for him. Nani is fine most of the time but doesn't challenge as well as Val and can lose a player, he tries but is just not as good as Valencia in that area.
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    No he said Valencia is much better at defending. I don't see anybody saying Nani is as good defensively. All we are saying is Valencia is overrated and Nani underrated for their defensive work.

Pretty much what I was saying. I don't think I underrate him defensively but would say its not his strong point. You could almost say Val is a good defensive winger who attacks well also (or used to at least) and Nani a good attacking winger who can defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just wondering why such a huge club like Man Utd did not go for a manager whos CV matches the club in terms of success. I said it before Moyes was appointed that yous should of appointed Ancelotti. This is not a dig at Moyes, but jaysus it was a huge risk appointed a manager who has won absolutely nothing in the game.

Because Fergsuson got to hand-pick his successor. This was a massive mistake to my mind and the fact that he went for someone in his own mold was another error. United need a manager who was at Ferguson's level when he retired, instead they went for one who was at his level when he first took the job 27 years ago.

Anyone know about Red Bull Salzburg defender Martin Hinteregger. He has been linked with UTD and top Italian clubs, or should I say he has linked himself with UTD.

He plays centre half.

http://www.football365.com/news/2483/8950389/Martin-Hinteregger-flattered-after-Manchester-United-linked-with-Red-Bull-Salzburg-defender

Because Fergsuson got to hand-pick his successor. This was a massive mistake to my mind and the fact that he went for someone in his own mold was another error. United need a manager who was at Ferguson's level when he retired, instead they went for one who was at his level when he first took the job 27 years ago.

Utd were thinking long term and they appointed a young manager with the view that he'd be given the time to prove himself. I'm sure Utd are pretty relaxed about the current situation, they probably expected it, factored it in and view anything better a bonus. We are 6 games into the season. This overreaction is ridiculous. Moyes has taken on a huge job and is learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's the problem though. United are no longer a club where a manager should be learning, over the last two decades they've had a manager at the peak of his powers and to replace him with anything less that is a massive, massive gamble.

• Advertisement

That's the problem though. United are no longer a club where a manager should be learning, over the last two decades they've had a manager at the peak of his powers and to replace him with anything less that is a massive, massive gamble.

Of course it's a gamble but it is worth taking? Yes it is. How many managers have City and Chelsea of late. Does it work for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Well said, and the longer Moyes is left in charge the more damage he could do. Hes a decent man manager but my god he does struggle tactically. Very interesting times ahead for the club.

Of curse it's a gamble but it is worth taking? Yes it is. How many managers have City and Chelsea of late. Does it work for them?

One of the reasons it didn't work for them was Fergie was still about!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

:eek: how old is Moyes' daughter?

Fergie had won quite a lot with Aberdeen, including titles and a European trophy before Utd.

Moyes isn't at the level Fergie was at then, no way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement