Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Lets be honest, I'm sure most would be quite happily to keep Moyes as manager and give him a chance as long as the Champion League qualification is not under threat, put up with a rebuild, not that dissimilar to the way United were from 04-06.

But he can't have any more West Brom games, need to be winning all them type of matches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Valencia's defensive ability is being hugely overrated in here. The only reason he looks in any way decent is because he stays so deep all game. Terrible in the City game and Nasri was eating up the ineptitude of him and Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Liam O wrote: »
    Valencia's defensive ability is being hugely overrated in here. The only reason he looks in any way decent is because he stays so deep all game. Terrible in the City game and Nasri was eating up the ineptitude of him and Jones.

BY who? He is known for being defensively good. Nobody is saying his Vidicesque. Again, referencing possibly his poorest defensive display is not fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

:eek: how old is Moyes' daughter?

Enough?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

How many managers have City and Chelsea of late. Does it work for them?

We seriously need to get over this fear of being looked at like City and Chelsea. Any and all decisions should be made independently of the thought of "Oh we can't look like them!"

They sacked managers who were for the most part proven, and who were doing well but only just missing their set goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Of course it's a gamble but it is worth taking? Yes it is. How many managers have City and Chelsea of late. Does it work for them?

It seems to work for Chelsea. Since Mourinho's first term they've had Grant, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Di Matteo and Benitez.

They've won 3 Premier Leagues, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, a Europa League and a Champions League during that time. Not a bad haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Enough?

To party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

To party?

Pics or GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

J. Marston wrote: »
    It seems to work for Chelsea. Since Mourinho's first term they've had Grant, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Di Matteo and Benitez.

They've won 3 Premier Leagues, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, a Europa League and a Champions League during that time. Not a bad haul.
    you left out Scolari and AVB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

J. Marston wrote: »

There's a few ways you can look at it.

1 league title in 7 seasons (it will be 8 if they fail to win it this season) is pretty awful relative to their level of investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO!

Put Lauren Moyes daughter into the google machine and you should get what you're looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Put Lauren Moyes daughter into the google machine and you should get what you're looking for

This isnt her is it?
    BJ3Ns2KCUAEXpg-.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 1m
    David Moyes confirms Rio Ferdinand, Anderson, Fabio and Wilfried Zaha are not on the trip to Donetsk. #mufc

Hopefully Rio will learn his lesson :)

ah wait hes injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't think Moyes is that much of a gamble at all. He'll keep the squad healthy by being shrewd in the transfer market, his time at Everton shows that he has a very good eye for a player. He'll keep the discipline and attitude of the playing staff where it needs to be. At the least he has enough managerial skill to get this squad finishing in the CL places.

That's all based on how I judge his abilities. If you disagree with any of those predictions then he'll look like a risky appointment. But if you agree then it's clear he is not a big gamble. And the pay off he offers is very appealing - long term stability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Is Fabio injured? He should be second choice lb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Keno wrote: »
    Is Fabio injured? He should be second choice lb.

Played last night in the reserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't think Moyes is that much of a gamble at all. He'll keep the squad healthy by being shrewd in the transfer market, his time at Everton shows that he has a very good eye for a player. He'll keep the discipline and attitude of the playing staff where it needs to be. At the least he has enough managerial skill to get this squad finishing in the CL places.

That's all based on how I judge his abilities. If you disagree with any of those predictions then he'll look like a risky appointment. But if you agree then it's clear he is not a big gamble. And the pay off he offers is very appealing - long term stability.

I think an anti-Moyes fan could argue a lot of the points in your opening paragraph, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Timmyctc wrote: »
    This isnt her is it?
    BJ3Ns2KCUAEXpg-.jpg:large

Dont know if thats her,here is another picture from this article

article-2439925-186CF36000000578-659_634x360.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2439925/Manchester-United-reintroduce-ladies-football-team-thanks-David-Moyes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Much harder to be shrewd in the transfer market when you are Man Utd rather than 'penny-less' Everton and trying to be shrewd with a higher caliber of player in the majority of cases.

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    Much harder to be shrewd in the transfer market when you are Man Utd rather than 'penny-less' Everton and trying to be shrewd with a higher caliber of player in the majority of cases.

He was excellent at spotting good players at Everton. How will it be harder to identify good players for United to buy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He was excellent at spotting good players at Everton. How will it be harder to identify good players for United to buy?

Simple. Any player United go after, their value increases 4 fold compared to what he'd have gotten that player for at Everton. As soon as United identify a target, their value always gets increased to at least 20m :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Simple. Any player United go after, their value increases 4 fold compared to what he'd have gotten that player for at Everton. As soon as United identify a target, their value always gets increased to at least 20m :(

Chico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Zaha left out to keep moyes daughter company while daddy is away ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Supraman wrote: »
    Zaha left out to keep moyes daughter company while daddy is away ...

Brilliant, i'd love to hear any more jokes you have as you're clearly a very funny and intellectual guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Silly rumours #childish

Game, set and match people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

He'll have no problem identifying. Purchasing shrewdly... not so much.

EDIT: Sure as Moyes said himself, Utd are interested in all the top players.

TheTownie wrote: »
    He'll have no problem identifying. Purchasing shrewdly... not so much.

EDIT: Sure as Moyes said himself, Utd are interested in all the top players.

The more effectively he can spot talent the easier it will be to sign players. His time at Everton shows that he was excellent at spotting the talent so he is as well qualified as any of the other candidates in that regard. Better qualified when you consider that a lot of the other candidates for the job have worked in systems where they aren't in charge of player recruitment.

Dealing with inflated prices for United targets is not as difficult as assembling a good PL squad on a shoestring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Finding myself agreeing with a lot of Pro. F's posts lately, might have to go to the doctor. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liam O wrote: »

Yeah, easy to look defensively solid when you never try anything exotic and so never give the ball away.

I like my wingers trying to beat players from time to time, even if it means they sometimes end up caught out of position and behind the ball. Valencia spends more time watching the full back than the full back spends worrying about him.

Finding myself agreeing with a lot of Pro. F's posts lately, might have to go to the doctor. ;)

That won't last for long, don't worry :)

• Advertisement

Fergies first interview since retiring

Oh yes, I almost forgot, he talks about going to states in the interview. Part of that trip was to do an interview with Charlie Rose.

https://twitter.com/charlierose/status/385109110200750080

He does a pretty decent interview show and usually has on the most famous politicians and actors etc.

Should be worth a watch. I'll post a link if it hits the web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I must be watching a different utd than saf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looking at the difference Ozil has made to Arsenal is depressing. We spend all summer looking for a world class attacking playmaker and somehow Ozil slips under the radar and goes to Arsenal. But at least we got Fellaini eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Documentary on about Ronaldo ITV 4 tonight at 10pm.

Could be worth watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Brilliant, i'd love to hear any more jokes you have as you're clearly a very funny and intellectual guy.

Much appreciated .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think an anti-Moyes fan could argue a lot of the points in your opening paragraph, personally.

They could, but considering the modest praise contained in that paragraph they would have a hard time backing up the argument.

His time at Everton provides sufficient proof for Pro F's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lingard on the scoresheet again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

RasTa wrote: »
    Lingard on the scoresheet again tonight

Missed a penalty too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Goal! Birmingham City 4, Millwall 0. Jesse Lingard (Birmingham City) header from more than 35 yards to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Chris Burke with a cross.

Hmmm..?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

So how's everyone feeling about tomorrow's match?

Surely the team can't play as badly as at the weekend.

Would love to see Kag and Nani starting but I've a feeling we might see one of Giggs or young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It will be very interesting how Moyes setup the team, will he be defensive like saf is away from home or will he just go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think we will win tomorrow night.

Why? maybe im going soft or lost the plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Would Happily take a draw right now if everyone gets through unscathed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Shaktar are a good team, I reckon we'll lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ill take a draw, a poxy 0-0 will do, get the team straight home and rested for saturday.

am off to the airport at 6.30 am and wont be online for a few days...hopefully by the time i get back on sat night, we have a decent display and 3 points to cheer us up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2 defeats by then and this place will explode...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Moyes now saying he wants to win the champions league....well ye see you said....but ye need world cla.....wait what ah here **** off now im confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

2 defeats by then and this place will explode...

Either way Moyes will be ciritised. If he wins 5-0 tomorrow and then we only win by one at the weekend then there would be lads in here saying he picked the wrong team, not enough goals etc.

Moyes is in a situation where he will never be right until he wins a major trophy. Fans will constantly second guess him until he does so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Moyes now saying he wants to win the champions league....well ye see you said....but ye need world cla.....wait what ah here **** off now im confused.

Well of course he wants to win it. He said he doesn't think we're strong enough to do so though.

David Moyes: "Januzaj is a first-team player his next step is to become a regular. He is keen to stay at Manchester United". #MUFC

Positive comments on Januzaj anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement