Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Well of course he wants to win it. He said he doesn't think we're strong enough to do so though.

Positive comments on Januzaj anyway.

So we wont win it but I want to is what hes saying?....... Yeh sure ok more brilliance from Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Either way Moyes will be ciritised. If he wins 5-0 tomorrow and then we only win by one at the weekend then there would be lads in here saying he picked the wrong team, not enough goals etc.

I don't think anyone will give a crap as long as we win. Losing to Sunderland would turn a lot of people against him and the media will have a field day though but it won't happen. Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It didn't come across brilliantly (needs to badly work on how he phrases things) but obviously Moyes meant you need a certain amount of WC players to have a good chance of winning the CL.

There is always a chance you can do a Porto, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. on it (Our current side is better than what any of those sides were but still a clear level below Bayern, Madrid, Barca) There's no way he's stupid enough not to know that, everyone knows it.

I don't know why people get so worked up by the sensationalist media headlines 'Moyes says Utd can't win CL'. Just stop, look at exactly what he said and think about it for a second. It doesn't take long to work out what he's trying to get across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Januzaj had a bit of a deer in the headlights look about him on Saturday and for the moment anyway, him getting Kagawa's gametime is ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »
    Januzaj had a bit of a deer in the headlights look about him on Saturday and for the moment anyway, him getting Kagawa's gametime is ludicrous.

He was one of the best players on the field in the second half on Saturday. Janjuaz in pre season was brilliant and in the little time they played this season Janjuaz has looked the better option. At this point in time i want Kagawa playing with Janjuaz being eased in. I hope Kagawa gets more time to find his form for Dortmund but he has yet to do anything of such note to say Janjuaz getting gametime ahead of him is ludicrous.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »

Made a couple of bad errors but did a few excellent things too. Looks more suited to playing out wide than Kagawa is in the long term, he can actually skin players as well as cut inside to great effect.

Would agree that Kagawa should be given a clear run of games out there though, needs to be given a proper chance to find a role in the side.

I'd love to see us try something like this for at least 1 game. It's time to let the old guard go and move on to developing the younger players.

Valencia should be turned into our second RB since everyone thinks he's stronger defensively than Nani and poorer in attack. We really need somebody with speed and an attacking threat there when Raf can't play.

We can't play both Carrick and Fellaini in the midfield and expect to be good there. Maybe kags isn't strong enough defensively to play more central but it's worth a shot. He should have the speed to close down players and play intricate passing around the midfield. If he fails Cleverly can go into his position.

DDG

Smalling--Vidic
    Rafael
    Evra
    Fellaini
    ----Kagawa--Rooney
    Zaha
    Nani
    RVP

Subs
    Lindegaard
    Valencia
    Cleverly
    Jones
    Januzaj
    Hernandez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'd love to see us try something like this for at least 1 game. It's time to let the old guard go and move on to developing the younger players.

Valencia should be turned into our second RB since everyone thinks he's stronger defensively than Nani and poorer in attack. We really need somebody with speed and an attacking threat there when Raf can't play.

We can't play both Carrick and Fellaini in the midfield and expect to be good there. Maybe kags isn't strong enough defensively to play more central but it's worth a shot. He should have the speed to close down players and play intricate passing around the midfield. If he fails Cleverly can go into his position.

DDG

Smalling--Vidic
    Rafael
    Evra
    Fellaini
    ----Kagawa--Rooney
    Zaha
    Nani
    RVP

Subs
    Lindegaard
    Valencia
    Cleverly
    Jones
    Januzaj
    Hernandez

So uh drop the best CM in England for having a few bad games or is Carrick injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Kagawa won't get a decent run in the side. Moyes doesn't have the balls to change it up to fit Kagawa in. He's persistent rewarding of poor play (Jones, Rio etc.) shows that he's hasn't the guile to make big calls. From the start of this season Rio, Carrick and Jones have all been very poor and yet Moyes will continue to pick them. Fergie's footprint is all over this team and Moyes doesn't seem to be able to change it up at the minute.

Moyes really needs to start turning it around becuase the fans will turn on him if he doesn't produce. I think we've more or less continued on the poor form of last season but van Persie isn't there to bail us out this time around. I think a combination of his inability to bring players in during the summer and the lack of a change in direction will negatively affect our performance this year.

I also think there are a few players who've taken their foot of the gas now that Fergie is gone. We need to get rid of these players along with the guys that are past their sell by date over the next 6-8 months.

DDG

Smalling--Vidic
    Rafael
    Evra
    Fellaini
    ----Kagawa--Rooney
    Zaha
    Nani
    RVP

Subs
    Lindegaard
    Valencia
    Cleverly
    Jones
    Januzaj
    Hernandez

Any team that does not include Carrick is a fail.

• Advertisement

So uh drop the best CM in England for having a few bad games or is Carrick injured

Spending 27.5m for a midfielder we don't play is fail as well. Playing Carrick and Fellaini together is not an option. They are both slow static defensive midfielders. I'd sooner see Fellaini developed than watch an aging Carrick who is out of form struggle.

And he's definitely not the best CM in England. Far from it.

Spending 27.5m for a midfielder we don't play is fail as well. Playing Carrick and Fellaini together is not an option. They are both slow static defensive midfielders. I'd sooner see Fellaini developed than watch an aging Carrick who is out of form struggle.

So your suggestion is to drop our best defensive midfielder while trying to fit in 5 attack minded players behind RVP. Would be a nice idea if your aim is to concede more goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Dude I dont even support United and I see Carrick is pure class, easily one of the best CM in England.
    Fellani and Carrick can easily play together just needs a change of tactics.
    442 clearly doesnt suit them

So your suggestion is to drop our best defensive midfielder while trying to fit in 5 attack minded players behind RVP. Would be a nice idea if your aim is to concede more goals.

You can easily play Carrick there either. It doesn't matter. Since Carrick is 33 and off form at the moment I'd prefer to see a 25 year old Fellaini in there. Fellaini is a defensive midfielder and Carricks future replacement. Just because he played further upfront for Everton last season doesn't change that.

Having 5 midfielders who can actually hold onto the ball and string passes together should lead to better possession, retention of the ball and they should be able to close the opposition midfield down better to regain possession putting less pressure on our defence who should be stronger without Rio in there.

Should we keep Rio as well because he was one of the best CB's in England? Things change. Players who aren't performing should not be played. Too many sentimental people in here who can't let go of the past.
    Dude I dont even support United and I see Carrick is pure class, easily one of the best CM in England.
    Fellani and Carrick can easily play together just needs a change of tactics.
    442 clearly doesnt suit them

It doesn't suit them because too much is being expected of Rooney. With 2 holding midfielders Rooney is on his own in the center and the wingers have been ****. Playing Rooney as a 5th midfielder makes sense as he ends up dropping deep all the time anyway and is one of the few players who can actually ping good long passes around the opposition half. He's not bad defensively either. With Shinji with him centrally he has someone who he can break defences down with while Fellaini holds the fort. We never played with 2 defensive midfielders. Why start now?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Not feeling confident with tonight match after a defeat last saturday, But will be looking forward to see what the players and the boss react. I think above posts not including Carrick is like a large ship sailing without a captain. We dont want that do we !!. Good luck to United supporters who will watch the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Doesn't Carrick have the most interceptions in the prem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Carrick always takes a few games to get going. He never starts a season off in great form, its been the same whenever he has come back from injury. He needs a run of games and then he will back to himself, dropping him now will do the team no good. Him and Fellani need to play together as often as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So is the negativity about tonight all down to current form on United's part, or are the other team that good?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Has anybody got a link to Fergie's Charlie Rose PBS interview from last night?

It doesn't suit them because too much is being expected of Rooney. With 2 holding midfielders Rooney is on his own in the center and the wingers have been ****. Playing Rooney as a 5th midfielder makes sense as he ends up dropping deep all the time anyway and is one of the few players who can actually ping good long passes around the opposition half. He's not bad defensively either. With Shinji with him centrally he has someone who he can break defences down with while Fellaini holds the fort. We never played with 2 defensive midfielders. Why start now?

Rooney started last season on fire playing behind RVP. His form dropped and he spat out the dummy because he was asked to play deeper. He starts this season in his best form for a long time and you think a repeat of last season is a good idea.

Kagawa is an attacking midfielder and his best form is up the pitch. He is not a centre midfielder and he would get overrun their. Fellaini can't hold the fort if two attacking midfielders are played in front of him who's instincts are to attack. Forcing Kagawa and Rooney to play a more defensive role is just wrong.

Also how you can suggest dropping Carrick the best defensive midfielder in the league because he is 33 is bizzare. Fellaini has less experience in this role and you think him in this role being isolated by two attacking midfielders is a good idea i don't know how you can think this.

Our midfield and wingers have been poor it's up to them to improve. But how you can think playing Rooney and Kagawa out of position, dropping Carrick for Fellaini and starting Zaha is just strange. Moyes has the players he is just using them wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I have heard a few rumblings about us losing Adnan. Juve are interested (not another Pogba) and City are rumored to have offered to triple his wages if he joins them.

His agent has now confirmed that Fergies departure may have scuppered UTD's hope of signing the youngster. Worrying.
    “I’m not going to say which teams are interested in him, but I can tell you that there is interest from several European clubs. The departure of Sir Alex Ferguson caused a break in the negotiations. But we are back working on the talks… I have already from Adnan’s family an agreement to communicate.”

http://www.prideofalleurope.com/2013/10/has-sir-alexs-departure-put-januzaj-off-signing-a-new-deal/

He has got playing time under Moyes. The reason this has happened so quickly could be to tempt him to stay. Hopefully he is happy at UTD and gets on well with the squad.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I have heard a few rumblings about us losing Adnan. Juve are interested (not another Pogba) and City are rumored to have offered to triple his wages if he joins them.

His agent has now confirmed that Fergies departure may have scuppered UTD's hope of signing the youngster. Worrying.

http://www.prideofalleurope.com/2013/10/has-sir-alexs-departure-put-januzaj-off-signing-a-new-deal/

He has got playing time under Moyes. The reason this has happened so quickly could be to tempt him to stay. Hopefully he is happy at UTD and gets on well with the squad.

What exactly is the situation with his contract?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Its bizzare that we let our best prospects get so far without tying them down sooner. Football has changed and we need to start paying the going rate. Look at Chelsea, they have given a lot of their younger player big deals to secure them. I'm not saying do it for every player but Jan has been known about for 2 seasons now that he was a class act, Pogba even longer but here we are again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Agueroooo wrote: »
    What exactly is the situation with his contract?

It's up at the end of the season as far as I know. If he hasn't signed by Christmas I expect him to be go to ye or barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's a bit of a tabloid description of the situation, no?

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's a bit of a tabloid description of the situation, no?

Maybe, maybe not. I can't say for sure but there has been a few stories about him lately and where there is smoke..............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2430364/Adnan-Januzaj-wanted-Juventus.html

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2013/09/manchester-city-offer-to-triple-adnan-januzajs-manchester-united-wages/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

lordgoat wrote: »
    It's up at the end of the season as far as I know. If he hasn't signed by Christmas I expect him to be go to ye or barca.
    Ye is not who you would think ye is with that username...

United lost Pogba to Juve now any big talent comes along they are going to be linked away. The fact is it is tabloid nonsense unless you can offer some proof. Moyes is confident he will sign the contract i would pay more attention to that than people trying to sell papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He is getting game time and he is already at one of the biggest clubs in the world, if he still wants to go regardless there is nothing that can be done.

My gut says he will sign though

My guess is that if push comes to shove, Utd will match what other clubs are offering to keep him. It'd be slightly devastating if they lost him, especially after the Pogba saga.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    United lost Pogba to Juve now any big talent comes along they are going to be linked away. The fact is it is tabloid nonsense unless you can offer some proof. Moyes is confident he will sign the contract i would pay more attention to that than people trying to sell papers.

Woah. When did this thread turn into an episode of Law and Order? I guess I better go get some proof then or I am guilty of what exactly? Linking a news story in the rumors and gossip thread.

I have posted three links, one from his agent about speculation Adnan could leave and how several clubs are interested. It doesn't get more form the horses mouth but I guess its not good enough.

What kind of proof was posted before Pogba left for Juve. I imagine links just like these or others comments from his agent.

Well, guys I wont be on here for the rest of the week, I'm off to Manchester to tap Adnan's phone and his agents and then I'll do the same for the guy who looks after the transfers at City. Then its off to Turin to wiretap a few phones at Juve hq. Wish me luck.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I řeckon he will stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Fergie enjoying the states in his retirement, gonna go to the Kentucky Derby, Melbourne Cup and the US Masters

Confirmed Abramovich approached him in 2003, thought it was just a myth

Got a thought from a Liverpool fan last night. By the start of next season we could have lost Rooney, Kagawa and Janjuaz and missed out on the top 4. They really do get a bit carried away everytime United hit a little bad patch it's like Christmas morning to some of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Got a thought from a Liverpool fan last night. By the start of next season we could have lost Rooney, Kagawa and Janjuaz and missed out on the top 4. They really do get a bit carried away everytime United hit a little bad patch it's like Christmas morning to some of them.

on saturday i was in a taxi and the taxi drive was one of them and he said on monday morning when he is off he is going to go make a bet that united wont be in the top 6 this year. i laughed in his face. he said De Gea was useless and always makes mistakes(again i laughed and said i suppose you think hart and mignolet never make mistakes), that fellaini would be a waste of money and that we dont have a strike partnership that could keep up with SAS. i said i would make a 200 euro bet with him right now that by may united will be in the top 4 and would go as far to throw in that liverpool will not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think Januzaj's contract runs to the end of next season, not this season.

Regardless though, the longer it goes on the more likely it feels he'll be off - and another to add to the list of ones that got away.

Have to say I do find it surprising how much Moyes seems to rate him, given how his basically the same player as Kagawa, with less experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

bullvine wrote: »

Good little pub quiz question (put away yer iphones :pac:) on official Twitter account about when his first appearance at Old Trafford was in 1991, bit of a trick question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

magnumbud wrote: »
    on saturday i was in a taxi and the taxi drive was one of them and he said on monday morning when he is off he is going to go make a bet that united wont be in the top 6 this year. i laughed in his face. he said De Gea was useless and always makes mistakes(again i laughed and said i suppose you think hart and mignolet never make mistakes), that fellaini would be a waste of money and that we dont have a strike partnership that could keep up with SAS. i said i would make a 200 euro bet with him right now that by may united will be in the top 4 and would go as far to throw in that liverpool will not be.

Your first mistake was talking to a taxi driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

maybe im being an optimist but what i would take from those quotes is that contract talks stalled in SAF leaving but are back on again. seem to remember quotes from the end of the tour that he is happy and wants to stay once a deal can be agreed. would be a big loss but hoping its done as he is getting a good run and probably will get more as the season goes

I think Januzaj's contract runs to the end of next season, not this season.

Regardless though, the longer it goes on the more likely it feels he'll be off - and another to add to the list of ones that got away.

Have to say I do find it surprising how much Moyes seems to rate him, given how his basically the same player as Kagawa, with less experience.

Maybe he is playing him in the hope he signs a new contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

maybe im being an optimist but what i would take from those quotes is that contract talks stalled in SAF leaving but are back on again. seem to remember quotes from the end of the tour that he is happy and wants to stay once a deal can be agreed. would be a big loss but hoping its done as he is getting a good run and probably will get more as the season goes

of course they stalled, new manager needs to evaluate the squad.

A very interesting video in the clubs history,footage was found of United playing Burnley in 1902.The first known film of the team playing as Manchester United after changing their name. (We won 2-0)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/footage-man-united-caught-on-video-for-the-first-time-111-years-ago-29628527.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

zerks wrote: »
    (We won 2-0)

Get the fuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

i said i would make a 200 euro bet with him right now that by may united will be in the top 4 and would go as far to throw in that liverpool will not be.
    Bet €100 with a mate yesterday that United will finish higher than Liverpool. He thinks it's the easiest money he's ever likely to make.
    There's a graph for that kind of behaviour :pac:

It is their best chance in a long time but we can't go on like this and they can't go on like that... somebody reassure me :o

zerks wrote: »
    A very interesting video in the clubs history,footage was found of United playing Burnley in 1902.The first known film of the team playing as Manchester United after changing their name. (We won 2-0)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/footage-man-united-caught-on-video-for-the-first-time-111-years-ago-29628527.html

Was Giggs in MF or on the wing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Bet €100 with a mate yesterday that United will finish higher than Liverpool. He thinks it's the easiest money he's ever likely to make.

It is their best chance in a long time but we can't go on like this and they can't go on like that... somebody reassure me :o

I'd say your money is safe enough.

We'll get better and Suarez will turn into a full time cannibal and eat the Liverpool 1st team.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Under 19s 1 nil down after a couple of mins against Shakhtar

Grimshaw own goal

On MUTV now

What's all this craic with the rumours that Zaha was caught in bed with Moye's daughter,sounds like something we'd post here 'cos he's not getting picked.

In fairness,having seen her,I wouldn't blame Zaha.
    BVcJDz9IMAEN_e1.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement