Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

zerks wrote: »
    What's all this craic with the rumours that Zaha was caught in bed with Moye's daughter,sounds like something we'd post here 'cos he's not getting picked.

In fairness,having seen her,I wouldn't blame Zaha.
    BVcJDz9IMAEN_e1.jpg

Taking tips from Rio....

Zaha has denied the rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'd say your money is safe enough.

Suarez will turn into a full time cannibal and eat the Liverpool 1st team.

Except the black players,we know how he doesn't like them:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Taking tips from Rio....

:pac::pac:
    Wilfred-Zaha.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

What's all this craic with the rumours that Zaha was caught in bed with Moye's daughter,sounds like something we'd post here 'cos he's not getting picked.

BVcJDz9IMAEN_e1.jpg

I really feel sorry for Zaha. This is Moyes fault again. A complete lack of planning on his part.

Moyes should never have had a daughter. He should have known it would be a distraction to Zaha. Wouldn't have happened under SAF. He had the foresight to have three sons.

Hopefully Moyes is gone soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bet €100 with a mate yesterday that United will finish higher than Liverpool. He thinks it's the easiest money he's ever likely to make.
    There's a graph for that kind of behaviour :pac:

I'm not happy at all with a few things at United these days, but a guy at work said he would bet €50 that United would not finish top 4 this season.

I've never accepted a bet so fast in my life! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Taking tips from Rio....

He didn't deny her the D though...

Drop-the-mic.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm not happy at all with a few things at United these days, but a guy at work said he would bet €50 that United would not finish top 4 this season.

I've never accepted a bet so fast in my life! :pac:

I need to start making friends like this, do they not like money or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Bet €100 with a mate yesterday that United will finish higher than Liverpool. He thinks it's the easiest money he's ever likely to make.
    There's a graph for that kind of behaviour :pac:

It is their best chance in a long time but we can't go on like this and they can't go on like that... somebody reassure me :o

I can assure you that it's a 1/2 shot in United's favour, and thats even accounting for Liverpool being consistently being the most underpriced team in the premiership. I'm still waiting to get paid up from a couple following the 2009/2010 season!

Deluded fans wearing their heart on their sleeve is bad enough, without throwing money after it too, as Liverpool fans seem to consistently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

BloodBath wrote: »
    You can easily play Carrick there either. It doesn't matter. Since Carrick is 33 and off form at the moment I'd prefer to see a 25 year old Fellaini in there. Fellaini is a defensive midfielder and Carricks future replacement. Just because he played further upfront for Everton last season doesn't change that.

Having 5 midfielders who can actually hold onto the ball and string passes together should lead to better possession, retention of the ball and they should be able to close the opposition midfield down better to regain possession putting less pressure on our defence who should be stronger without Rio in there.

Should we keep Rio as well because he was one of the best CB's in England? Things change. Players who aren't performing should not be played. Too many sentimental people in here who can't let go of the past.

It doesn't suit them because too much is being expected of Rooney. With 2 holding midfielders Rooney is on his own in the center and the wingers have been ****. Playing Rooney as a 5th midfielder makes sense as he ends up dropping deep all the time anyway and is one of the few players who can actually ping good long passes around the opposition half. He's not bad defensively either. With Shinji with him centrally he has someone who he can break defences down with while Fellaini holds the fort. We never played with 2 defensive midfielders. Why start now?

To be honest playing Kagawa in a cm role is nonsense, he has never played there before and dropping Carrick in the hope of Kagawa being able to play there cause hes quick to close down, its not fifa where you can play players anywhere!
    I think you are really underrating Carricks playmaking ability, its hardly the CM fault that the wingers are playing terrible.
    If it was me in charge Id play Rooney left and Kagawa AM
    You must also take into account that this is a team that are trying to learn to play under a new manager, incase you havent noticed the same problems are going on at Chelsea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

BVcJDz9IMAEN_e1.jpg

that particular photo is pretty flattering, nothing special at all about her in fairness.

Doubt he was caught in bed with her either, or maybe he is the dumbest human being to ever (nearly)play for the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

BVcJDz9IMAEN_e1.jpg

Heard the rumour but assumed it to just be BS and copying the one about Velios or one of the other young Everton players meant to have done the same a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

astonaidan wrote: »
    To be honest playing Kagawa in a cm role is nonsense, he has never played there before and dropping Carrick in the hope of Kagawa being able to play there cause hes quick to close down, its not fifa where you can play players anywhere!
    I think you are really underrating Carricks playmaking ability, its hardly the CM fault that the wingers are playing terrible.
    You must also take into account that this is a team that are trying to learn to play under a new manager, incase you havent noticed the same problems are going on at Chelsea!

Rooney is a terrible left winger and is a fantastic am. If anybody needs to adjust it's Kagawa he has done nothing to earn the am role. Madness to suggest playing Rooney in a position he hates and is very poor in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

bedrock#1 wrote: »
    Under 19s 1 nil down after a couple of mins against Shakhtar

Grimshaw own goal

On MUTV now

I guess you could say that shaw was grim.....*puts on sunglasses:cool:*

YEAAAAAAHHHHHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

What was the final score in the U19s game, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What was the final score in the U19s game, anyone?

2-1 Shaktar.

United improved a lot in the second half but didn't create anything clean really. Goal conceded with 5 to go. Some terrible defending starting off with a stupid backheel in the left back area which gifted them a run into the box, which eventually produced the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Rooney started last season on fire playing behind RVP. His form dropped and he spat out the dummy because he was asked to play deeper. He starts this season in his best form for a long time and you think a repeat of last season is a good idea.

Kagawa is an attacking midfielder and his best form is up the pitch. He is not a centre midfielder and he would get overrun their. Fellaini can't hold the fort if two attacking midfielders are played in front of him who's instincts are to attack. Forcing Kagawa and Rooney to play a more defensive role is just wrong.

Also how you can suggest dropping Carrick the best defensive midfielder in the league because he is 33 is bizzare. Fellaini has less experience in this role and you think him in this role being isolated by two attacking midfielders is a good idea i don't know how you can think this.

Our midfield and wingers have been poor it's up to them to improve. But how you can think playing Rooney and Kagawa out of position, dropping Carrick for Fellaini and starting Zaha is just strange. Moyes has the players he is just using them wrong.

The positions I have Rooney and Kagawa in are attacking midfield. It's not much different from the roles they are playing at the moment. It's just a way of getting both of them in the squad and helping out our piss poor midfield.

Maybe it wouldn't work but I'd like to see it tried at least against a weaker team. Like I said if Kagawa fails there replace him with Cleverly. It's a problem that should have been addressed in the transfer window anyway. It's not like we're playing great with what we're doing at the moment is it?

I'll say it again. Carrick is not the best defensive midfielder in the league. Yaya Toure is by a long way. Fellaini is arguably better but obviously not as experienced.

I'd just like to see Zaha given a game. We have no good options for the left wing apart from a very young Januzaj who will need a couple of years of development before he's a first team player. This is another problem that should have been addressed in the transfer window. Nani can play there. Maybe Zaha isn't good enough yet but I'd like to see him get some game time.

Playing Carrick and Fellaini in midfield will simply not work against any decent team. They are both fairly slow static midfielders who will get overrun by any decent midfield. If we have to play Rooney out of position until we can buy a quality box to box midfielder then so be it.

I think Januzaj's contract runs to the end of next season, not this season.

Regardless though, the longer it goes on the more likely it feels he'll be off - and another to add to the list of ones that got away.

Have to say I do find it surprising how much Moyes seems to rate him, given how his basically the same player as Kagawa, with less experience.

Except he's 18 and Kagawa is 24. He's at the same level despite being 6 years younger. Imagine what he will be like when he's 24? They should renew his contract now and give him higher wages instead of letting it run down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Anyone who thinks Januzaj is near the level of Kagawa is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Except he's 18 and Kagawa is 24. He's at the same level despite being 6 years younger. Imagine what he will be like when he's 24? They should renew his contract now and give him higher wages instead of letting it run down.

facepalm-gif-31.gif

This is getting out of hand, Jan is good and has a lot of potential but ffs, the hype has been building up and up and up since the summer and it's now at an all time level of stupidity.

I hope he signs a contract but he still needs to take about two years to develop and progress before he can be a regular in the first 11.

If he keeps developing the way he is, at 20/21 will be the perfect time to start easing him into the team regularly, the only reason he's getting played now is because the club want him to sign a contract, the opposite of what they did with Pogba, because they're hoping for a different outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It's a CAM role as is Rooneys. If you're going to put Carrick in put him in instead of Fellaini. We can't play both. City made a fool of them defensively and they offer very little in attack. At least having Kags and rooney as CAM's would offer an attacking threat. We aren't scoring from open play. Rooney is not a miracle worker. Chelsea look a lot more solid than we do.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Januzaj is near the level of Kagawa is just plain wrong.

In terms of skill and technical ability he's not far off. In terms of experience obviously not.

• Advertisement

facepalm-gif-31.gif

This is getting out of hand, Jan is good and has a lot of potential but ffs, the hype has been building up and up and up since the summer and it's now at an all time level of stupidity.

I hope he signs a contract but he still needs to take about two years to develop and progress before he can be a regular in the first 11.

If he keeps developing the way he is, at 20/21 will be the perfect time to start easing him into the team regularly, the only reason he's getting played now is because the club want him to sign a contract, the opposite of what they did with Pogba, because they're hoping for a different outcome.

No ****. I never suggested otherwise. Try reading my posts and you would see that's exactly what I said. If you're going to call people stupid you should learn to read first.

No ****. I never suggested otherwise. Try reading my posts and you would see that's exactly what I said. If you're going to call people stupid you should learn to read first.

You said Jan is at the same level as Kagawa which is idiotic.

That's what my whole post is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You try reading exactly what you say

It was another poster who suggested it. If you read my posts you would see I also said he shouldn't be in the starting 11 until he's at least 20. He obviously doesn't have the experience of Kagawa. In terms of technical ability, dribbling, speed, crossing he's just as good and in some areas better than Kagawa.

Calling people idiots for having different opinions will get you a ban.

Some of the crap I see people post here I think is idiotic (Carrick is the best DM in England) but I don't go calling them idiots. You wouldn't do it in real life. Why do it here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thread needs Pro F to disect and pull apart posts to highlight the discrepancies!

Except he's 18 and Kagawa is 24. He's at the same level despite being 6 years younger.

This is ridiculous. I don't even know where to start.

It was another poster who suggested it. If you read my posts you would see I also said he shouldn't be in the starting 11 until he's at least 20. He obviously doesn't have the experience of Kagawa. In terms of technical ability, dribbling, speed, crossing he's just as good and in some areas better than Kagawa.

Calling people idiots for having different opinions will get you a ban.

Some of the crap I see people post here I think is idiotic (Carrick is the best DM in England) but I don't go calling them idiots. You wouldn't do it in real life. Why do it here?

What am I a mind reader? Where does it say any of that in the post I quoted, you only said all of this after my post.

Calling an opinion idiotic is fine and dandy once it is actually idiotic.

Have the rules changed around here?

Damn I await my inevitable ban so, f*ck the po po, you'll never silence me.

It's not an any other forum. You must have special rules here. I have no issues with disagreement but try formulating an intelligent argument as to why you disagree instead of calling someone an idiot. Saying that only makes you look the idiot.

It's not an any other forum. You must have special rules here. I have no issues with disagreement but try formulating an intelligent argument as to why you disagree instead of calling someone an idiot. Saying that only makes you look the idiot.

:rolleyes:

Take your own advice, I never called you anything. I said the opinion you have is idiotic, which it is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Exactly. It nearly makes them look almost as idiotic as saying kagawa and januz are at the same level. Luckily you never said that though... Phew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Headshot wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Sadly this has to get posted way too often in here.

:rolleyes:

Take your own advice, I never called you anything. I said the opinion you have is idiotic, which it is.

Maybe you should read the definition of idiotic and come back to me. To say my opinion is idiotic is calling me an idiot. I guess it's a free for all in here though. 0 moderation and total hostility towards anyone willing to offer their own opinion on anything. I don't see ye attacking the guy who claimed Carrick is the best DM in England. Good luck to ye.

id·i·ot·ic (d-tk)
    adj.
    1. Showing foolishness or stupidity.
    2. Exhibiting idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There are some statements a person can make that are so wrong they don't admit of coherent counterargument.

I've disagreed with a lot of things people have said here and given reasons why. Never once did I go that's idiotic whether I thought it or not. That's the kind of talk that would earn you a box in the mouth if you said it to someones face.

Keyboard warriors love throwing it around on forums though. Showing total open hostility towards someone because you disagree with them only shows you up for the kind of person you are.

I've received infractions on other forums on boards for calling something someone said ignorant. Are the rules different here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Kagawa tends to get a free ride off a lot of United fans, despite being worryingly average since he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've disagreed with a lot of things people have said here and given reasons why. Never once did I go that's idiotic whether I thought it or not. That's the kind of talk that would earn you a box in the mouth if you said it to someones face.

Keyboard warriors love throwing it around on forums though. Showing total open hostility towards someone because you disagree with them only shows you up for the kind of person you are.

I've received infractions on other forums on boards for calling something someone said ignorant. Are the rules different here?

If someone says your opinion is idiotic they are making a statement the opinion you expressed, not about you as an individual. I don't think you're an idiot at all, but the idea that Januaasfdlgl is as good a player as Kagawa is pretty stupid for a lot of reasons.

I'd question what sort of people you're hanging around with if you wouldn't feel comfortable telling someone when they're being stupid for fear of being punched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

master-t wrote: »
    Kagawa tends to get a free ride off a lot of United fans, despite being worryingly average since he arrived.

Kagawa should be good therefore must be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

dont know why you are all slating yer man for his comment.

On the evidence of this season so far, Januzaj has offered far more in the way of attacking intent, composure on the ball, first touch and awareness. Kagawa has been piss poor but that gets missed completely as people blame Moyes for a) not playing him or b) not using him correctly.

The "level" of a player is all about what they are producing on the pitch in the here and now. Doesn't matter how good Kagawa was, he's not showing it right now and it's most certainly not a stupid comment to say Januzaj is at a similar level now.

• Advertisement

I guess Jesse Lingard is now at a higher level than Danny Wellbeck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

dont know why you are all slating yer man for his comment.

On the evidence of this season so far, Januzaj has offered far more in the way of attacking intent, composure on the ball, first touch and awareness. Kagawa has been piss poor but that gets missed completely as people blame Moyes for a) not playing him or b) not using him correctly.

The "level" of a player is all about what they are producing on the pitch in the here and now. Doesn't matter how good Kagawa was, he's not showing it right now and it's most certainly not a stupid comment to say Januzaj is at a similar level now.

So let me get this straight. If Messi has a 4/5 game bad patch and during the same time Defoe is having a few stormers and being generally more effective, you would actually find it acceptable for someone to say Defoe > Messi?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Why don't you report the posts you don't like or PM a soccer mod and have a chat with them? Or you could save yourself and the mods the time and accept the fact that it's very much allowed to call a post idiotic. Attack the post not the poster, it's an easy concept to grasp.

Re Kagawa vs Januzaj: I wouldn't be at all surprised if Januzaj worked out better on the wing, stranger things have happened and it's certainly not a natural position for Kags. At the moment though I think they both need to be given time out there and I don't see anything clear cut. And if, in the long run, the club can't get some good form out of Kagawa it will be a real indictment of the state of the team.

I'd also like to see Kagawa playing centrally with Rooney moving to CF. Either from the start of a few games or as a change later in the game. RvP's form isn't exactly great and it could be a good mix up when we are trying to convert possession into goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Blatter wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. If Messi has a 4/5 game bad patch and during the same time Defoe is having a few stormers and being generally more effective, you would actually find it acceptable for someone to say Defoe > Messi?

Strawmans are big and clever.

Messi and Defoe is a stupid comparison as they're completely different types of players. But for the sake of argument if Defoe was banging in the goals and Soldado isn't, then i'd say Defoes level deserves a starting place ahead of him. It's clearly arguable Soldado is a "better player" but you have to be pretty cut-throat about carrying players who are not producing on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Kagawa in 45 minutes on the left was more of a threat than Nani was out there and Jan was on the right. The piece of play to set up Buttner for a shot was fantastic, if it was Rooney or RVP in that position then it probably would have been a goal. Baffling decision to take him off. Whenever he's gotten a couple of games in a row which has been rare he's looked a level above anyone in terms of keeping possession and movement which is something the team sorely lacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I was thinking today, with David Moyes taking the helm, would now be the perfect time to reform the United starting XI by integrating youth players? It seems to me that despite United having quite a young overall squad, the starting 11 (RVP, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick all being 30+) is relatively old.

Yes, the team might struggle while things mesh, but getting the likes of Zaha, Lingard, Januzaj, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Rafael etc working together on a regular basis can only come strong in seasons to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I was thinking today, with David Moyes taking the helm, would now be the perfect time to reform the United starting XI by integrating youth players? It seems to me that despite United having quite a young overall squad, the starting 11 (RVP, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick all being 30+) is relatively old.

Yes, the team might struggle while things mesh, but getting the likes of Zaha, Lingard, Januzaj, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Rafael etc working together on a regular basis can only come strong in seasons to come.

Good idea.

Problém is results are much more important short term as you can see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I agree, he's taken charge just as the team has begun to enter it's natural stage of decline. He now gets the opportunity to inject new life into it with the players of his choice as opposed to having to spend years managing a core of players he's unsure of.

Of course, the patience offered to him before he can implement this change doesn't seem to be guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Good idea.

Problém is results are much more important short term as you can see here.

I could just see United finishing 4/5th for the next two seasons while things gel, and then... well "you can't win things with children"

Getting a back four of Rafael - Smalling - Evans/Jones - New LB (Because Buttner is awful) working together week in, week out would be sweet. Fellaini and a new Creative midfielder, with Zaha, Januzaj, Lingard, Kagawa playing behind Rooney/RVP/Chico. Stuff of dreams! Build a real team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Quick question lads, did Moyes say over the course of the weekend that ahead of tonight's game he has a full strength squad to choose from and he's going to pick his strongest team??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I could just see United finishing 4/5th for the next two seasons while things gel, and then... well "you can't win things with children"

Getting a back four of Rafael - Smalling - Evans/Jones - New LB (Because Buttner is awful) working together week in, week out would be sweet. Fellaini and a new Creative midfielder, with Zaha, Januzaj, Lingard, Kagawa playing behind Rooney/RVP/Chico. Stuff of dreams! Build a real team

If Moyes done what you said he wouldn't be in a job come next season. It's all lovely thinking about it but the fact is it's about results. I love nothing more than bringing youth through but it's tough at a big club like United.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement