Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 mod warning post#7259

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

kryogen wrote: »
    You think Fergie would have used Fellaini behind RVP, or would have made Giggs his sole substitute of the night replacing one of our only out balls, to offer nothing?

I would have to disagree

Starting line up, definitely Fergie like, everything after. No, goes against his nature.

If you genuinely think SAF wouldn't bring on Giggs then I see no point in continuing any discussion on that matter with you as it completely ignores history.

Re Fellaini, he only played a small part of the game close to RVP, it didn't work so he hooked him. It didn't bother me to see it tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Happy with the draw I agree Fergie would have done similar, Vidic should have booted it out but maybe had bad footing or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Forget points, wins, draws or losses, they don't matter.

The performances have been gash all season, thats why people are unhappy.

What a stupid thing to say, of course they matter.

What part of the post do you not agree with? Do you not think it was a good point or do you not think it was a meh performance?

And where did I mention people not being unhappy or anything resembling that?

Bizarre post tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kryogen wrote: »
    You think Fergie would have used Fellaini behind RVP, or would have made Giggs his sole substitute of the night replacing one of our only out balls, to offer nothing?

I would have to disagree

Starting line up, definitely Fergie like, everything after. No, goes against his nature.

I definitely remember tearing my hair out on multiple occasions because of a lack of change from Fergie.

You know, I wasn't overly worried about Fergie retiring or Moyes taking over as o thought the team needed a change but Moyes so far has just been Fergie lite, without the winning expectations. Very disappointing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd have taken 1-1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

You know, a point is a decent result here.

The performance, meh

Overall? Yes, but there is a monotonous context here that needs to be considered. Moyes has made a very poor start so far and the performances, team selection, tactics, substitutions and transfer window have been appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The goal was the only shot on target for the whole game.

Is there a trend developing here?

Red Crow wrote: »
    Overall? Yes, but there is a monotonous context here that needs to be considered. Moyes has made a very poor start so far and the performances, team selection, tactics, substitutions and transfer window have been appalling.

Where have I mentioned any of that? My comment was clearly related to the match. What is wrong with people?

Danye wrote: »
    I strongly disagree. Very little influence over the games he plays.

Why did you bother asking a question if you were just going to disagree with any positive comments about him? Would it not be easier to state your opinion and move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Il take the draw but disappointed that the team didnt push on and try and get a second,them guys were there for the taking.

I dunno Moyes still has me :confused:

Roll on Sunderland.

In other news it looks like Joe Hart had a good night :)

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    I definitely remember tearing my hair out on multiple occasions because of a lack of change from Fergie.

You know, I wasn't overly worried about Fergie retiring or Moyes taking over as o thought the team needed a change but Moyes so far has just been Fergie lite, without the winning expectations. Very disappointing.

Question rather than a criticism, did you expect any big changes this early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Why did you bother asking a question if you were just going to disagree with any positive comments about him? Would it not be easier to state your opinion and move on?

So when you ask a question you have to agree with the answer somebody gives?

I'm interested to hear what people's opinions on Cleverly are and how they've come to that conclusion. This is a discussion board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Cant remember the last time i was really entertained watching a United match. Not enjoying this lately at all seems to of become an on going thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What a stupid thing to say, of course they matter.

I hope you don't play poker.

Might seem obvious, but the final results are only a way of keeping score :pac:.

If you want your future results to be good, then the important thing to focus on is the performances and the team itself. Personally I would be happy to accept defeats as long as I could see signs of the team gelling, new things being tried and our best players being integrated into the team. If that happens, we might lose a game but in the long run we are more likely to challenge for trophies.

Currently? We got a point sure, but you really think that team is going anywhere playing like that? No chance.

We need to beat Sunderland.

A loss at the weekend and we'll have 4 points from our last 6 league games.

I'm interested to hear what people's opinions on Cleverly are and how they've come to that conclusion. This is a discussion board.

You showed no interest in what other people think with your response to a post saying the chap is a good squad player in a position United are short on players.

I hope you don't play poker.

Might seem obvious, but the final results are only a way of keeping score :pac:.

If you want your future results to be good, then the important thing to focus on is the performances and the team itself. Personally I would be happy to accept defeats as long as I could see signs of the team gelling, new things being tried and our best players being integrated into the team. If that happens, we might lose a game but in the long run we are more likely to challenge for trophies.

Currently? We got a point sure, but you really think that team is going anywhere playing like that? No chance.

I've actually played a ridiculous amount of poker so lets not go down that route.

You seem to be picking on some point I havent made. Answer the questions i asked...

point is a good one? you dont agree i assume?

performance was meh? again, dnot agree?

i've not addressed any long term points, simply commented on the match

edit: just to reiterate, of course points matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My opinion on Cleverley is that at 24 years old, he has played 62 senior games for Manchester United and was never more than adequate in any of them. He is average, always will be.

You showed no interest in what other people think with your response to a post saying the chap is a good squad player in a position United are short on players.

How did I not? By disagreeing?

What's your definition of a squad player? How is somebody a good squad player?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Thought Cleverly played OK myself. Defence looked good apart from the goal obviously.
    Thought Welbeck was excellent. Disappointed with Fellaini, gave it away a lot and gave away a few frees but I don't think the ref helped, but early days for him.

Overall, a good point.

Wholeheartedly agree that it was a very fergie like performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I've actually played a ridiculous amount of poker so lets not go down that route.

You seem to be picking on some point I havent made. Answer the questions i asked...

point is a good one? you dont agree i assume?

performance was meh? again, dnot agree?

i've not addressed any long term points, simply commented on the match

edit: just to reiterate, of course points matter.
    Point is an ok result, good is really stretching it surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Cant remember the last time i was really entertained watching a United match. Not enjoying this lately at all seems to of become an on going thing.

I agree... Having said that though I can't remember many fantastic entertaining performances in the CL away in a while

Just wtf has happened to this team so far this season.

Its horrible to see us playing like this.

I know we aint exactly been amazing for a while now but at least we were getting results last season!.

At what point do we start to worry :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I dunno do I want to watch the RTE lads talk about the game and Moyes

Dunphy will troll it for everything its worth

CSF wrote: »
    Point is an ok result, good is really stretching it surely?

No I do think its a good one. Tough place to go and i think we can win our home games and beyond that grabbing points on the road will see us through. At least you addressed the actual point being made though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Just wtf has happened to this team so far this season.

Its horrible to see us playing like this.

I know we aint exactly been amazing for a while now but at least we were getting results last season!.

At what point do we start to worry :pac:.

if we dont win against Sunderland!

ericzeking wrote: »
    Thought Cleverly played OK myself. Defence looked good apart from the goal obviously.
    Thought Welbeck was excellent. Disappointed with Fellaini, gave it away a lot and gave away a few frees but I don't think the ref helped, but early days for him.

Overall, a good point.

Wholeheartedly agree that it was a very fergie like performance.

I felt he was poor. He doesn't really offer a whole lot in my IMO. No influence over the game. He was no better than Fellani I felt.

What does he do that make people fans of him?

Nolars wrote: »

If we dont get a result against Sunderland ill end up killing one of the many many liverpool fans i have had to listen to over the last few weeks......

Seriously if it gets to Christmas and there still ahead of us ffs i dread the taught!.

No I do think its a good one. Tough place to go and i think we can win our home games and beyond that grabbing points on the road will see us through. At least you addressed the actual point being made though.
    It is a banana skin alright, but United have much more resources to work with than Shakhtar and should be going there looking to win that game (a good result) but willing to accept a draw if that can't be done (an ok or acceptable result). I don't think Moyes deserves praise for not losing, and I do think he deserves criticism for another unimaginative performance. I missed the Leverkusen game, but that game aside (and I don't know if that was a good performance or not) I don't think we've seen a good United performance since Swansea.

• Advertisement

Losing at home to West Brom should surely have been the point when extreme worry set in, if not the awful performances put in against Liverpool and Crystal Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I'd really like to see Moyes be more adventurous with his substitutions. Our response to being pulled back was to bring Jones on with seconds left. How many times have we profited over the years from throwing caution to the wind and just going for it?

Still, a point isn't the end of the world. Hopefully it can be built on at the weekend.

It is a banana skin alright, but United have much more resources to work with than Shakhtar and should be going there looking to win that game (a good result) but willing to accept a draw if that can't be done (an ok or acceptable result). I don't think Moyes deserves praise for not losing, and I do think he deserves criticism for another unimaginative performance. I missed the Leverkusen game, but that game aside (and I don't know if that was a good performance or not) I don't think we've seen a good United performance since Swansea.

I agree on lack of performances but I think we would have seen something similar, probably slightly better in fairness, from Fergie in this sort of match. Just to add we were a little shaky against Leverkusen too

I really do believe its a good result. A single goal win is a very good one and anything beyond that is a great result.

The run was meant to be West Brom, Sunderland, Southampton, Stoke and Fulham.

7 points from those four left is what I'm predicting considering how bad we've been so far, there'll be a loss and a draw in there I feel.

Then we play Arsenal, Spurs and Everton in the next four after.

7 points from those four left is what I'm predicting considering how bad we've been so far, there'll be a loss and a draw in there I feel.

See this is depressing.......

Thats not how we should be talking about a Manchester United team but we are unfortunaltly. Crazy ****ing times !!.

How did I not? By disagreeing?

What's your definition of a squad player? How is somebody a good squad player?

Squad player. Part of the first team squad. Good squad player, part of all match day squads and will perform well when selected as part of the first 11.

Manchester United are short on players in midfield making Cleverley more important. He fits the criteria of a good squad player as set out above.

Since I took your approach as something it may not have been I will say what I think of the player.

As a player in midfield he links things together well, will take the ball under pressure and keeps possession, has good awareness of what is going on around him which helps him in those situations and means he takes up good positions to receive the ball. He can move the ball quickly with one and two touch football.

He works hard when not in possession of the ball and reading of the game defensively is improving.

For the squad, it appears that he doesn't cause problems when he isn't selected.

He is probably better in a three man midfield in Europe and big games than a two man midfield. No problem playing against most league teams in a two man midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Dunphy on Moyes now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Alex Ferguson is on Sky 502 right now

Tell me he's throwing hairdryers at Moyes

Dunphy on Moyes now

Couldnt give a ****e :pac:. Can already imagine the kinda bollox he will come out with.

Ive heard enough of it from rival fans over last couple months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Dunphy is being civil. Give him a few weeks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

9 points at least I'd imagine. I'd be shocked if it was less. Of course I'm shocked at the situation United find themselves now but if United had 14 pts after 10 games and then to hit tough games...... ridiculous to even think about it.

I agree on lack of performances but I think we would have seen something similar, probably slightly better in fairness, from Fergie in this sort of match. Just to add we were a little shaky against Leverkusen too

I really do believe its a good result. A single goal win is a very good one and anything beyond that is a great result.
    More often than not you'd be seeing wins to go along with the lack of performances under Ferguson, if Moyes' United was playing badly and winning, nobody would be on his case too much, but he is in the worst scenario right now, playing badly and not winning. That needs to improve quickly, and until it does, the criticism should continue to come thick and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Question rather than a criticism, did you expect any big changes this early?
    I definitely expected some sort of shake up, the abject and lifeless performances, especially after the Swansea game have been a huge surprise. When Nani was signed up I thought he'd be brought straight into the team. Persisting with Ferdinand when he's clearly not up to playing a bunch of games in succession is also baffling and the treatment of Kagawa to top it all off is irritating me more and more as the weeks go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What did Moyes say about Rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

He's not talking about football, it's weird but interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Neeson wrote: »
    What did Moyes say about Rooney?

Said he would have been on the bench even if he was fit. Just totally needless stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Trilla wrote: »
    Fellaini was poor, for once I was glad to see Giggs come on

How long did that crazy notion last?

More often than not you'd be seeing wins to go along with the lack of performances under Ferguson, if Moyes' United was playing badly and winning, nobody would be on his case too much, but he is in the worst scenario right now, playing badly and not winning. That needs to improve quickly, and until it does, the criticism should continue to come thick and fast.

Agree Fergie had that but I had a poster responding saying they would forego results for performances. In the CL you just want to make it out of the groups and take it from there. Playing well and not qualifying would be as much as a disaster as playing poorly and not qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Christmas: Rooney to Chelsea, Juan Mata to United and Lewandowski to United to team-up with Kagawa again.

Ye read it here first folks!

Liam O wrote: »
    I definitely expected some sort of shake up, the abject and lifeless performances, especially after the Swansea game have been a huge surprise. When Nani was signed up I thought he'd be brought straight into the team. Persisting with Ferdinand when he's clearly not up to playing a bunch of games in succession is also baffling and the treatment of Kagawa to top it all off is irritating me more and more as the weeks go by.

Personally I don't think Kagawa did much when he did play to deserve more chances, although I found the sub at half time last weekend bizarre. I was hoping Moyes would quickly get best out of him after how well Pienaar played for Everton.

I agree about the lifeless performance v City and West Brom (was happy with the work rate v Chelsea and Liverpool if not then results). Not what I expected, but I think a number of players should take blame for that as much as Moyes. Perhaps safe thinking as he steps into the job filtered to the players and resulted in negative thinking by them as well,

I expect him to shake things up among the squad and playing methods over time but the level of effort and desire will need to be upped fast and after last weekend I would be shocked if it doesn't.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement