Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Lan Card

Options
  • 03-09-2013 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi All,

Cant seem to find a thread about this but apparently HKC have brought out a Lan Card to fit on the Securewave products. Has anyone installed one of these? Is there an app to control your alarm over the internet or will the Lan Card only allow you to connect to a monitoring station?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

conor06 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Cant seem to find a thread about this but apparently HKC have brought out a Lan Card to fit on the Securewave products. Has anyone installed one of these? Is there an app to control your alarm over the internet or will the Lan Card only allow you to connect to a monitoring station?

Thanks.

The app hasn't been released yet but it's being worked on .

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conor06

So what does the lan card actually do now?

conor06 wrote: »
    So what does the lan card actually do now?

Its used for monitoring.
    But the app should be out soon .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

HKC have been going on about this for quite a while & very little information is forthcoming.
    From the last time speaking with them they would only say its another comms path.
    There is no clarification on what way the app will work. Whether the panel will act directly as a server the way Siemens does.
    There was talk of the IP being a subscription service.:eek:
    Its all still wait & see for now..

If your looking for a good IP panel that's available now Siemens is the best there is IMO.

Even if it was a subscription service wouldn't that mean the user would get a push notification if the Internet was cut ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Don't know, they seemed very unsure last time I was asking.
    If there was push notifications as well as a decent app its may be worth a few bob for the app.

Little birdie told me its going well ;)

Well in fairness I've never heard them saying its going badly...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Little birdie told me its going well ;)

They are just waiting on the app for the iPhone. Android is up and running.
    Properly Christmas or early January.

altor wrote: »

Indeed they are :)

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »

Why not release the Lan so?
    Or the app thats there?
    Seems strange to have a finished product and not wanting sell it?:confused::confused:

Could you imagine the chaos that would cause ? Installers would be ringing HKC non stop asking why it's not available on IOS and when it will be ..
    It's not as if they're losing money by not releasing it

Are you for Real??
    There was no chaos when Siemens released IOS before Android. Their IP via browser was available before that again and installer's weren't ringing non stop asking about it.
    Not losing money by not having it??
    Why bother at all so??
    I'm installing IP panels every week and so are plenty of other installers.
    Basic business if you are eliminated from a section of the market of course you are losing money.
    Anyway good to see you back on the other side of the fence again this week. TBH you have lost all credibility in my book.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are you for Real??
    There was no chaos when Siemens released IOS before Android. Their IP via browser was available before that again and installer's weren't ringing non stop asking about it.
    Not losing money by not having it??
    Why bother at all so??
    I'm installing IP panels every week and so are plenty of other installers.
    Basic business if you are eliminated from a section of the market of course you are losing money.
    Anyway good to see you back on the other side of the fence again this week. TBH you have lost all credibility in my book.

I'm so disappointed over that :(
    I have neither Siemens nor HKC In my house so I'm on no ones side ....
    yes but installers who are using HKC gear are holding off and telling customers that an app is on the way ..
    Consider it pre- ordering .... So HKC will catch up in no time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

If HKC go down the subscription route for IP they've lost me as a customer.

How does the SPC notify you if the alarm is triggered, with no push does it even send an email?

I'm so disappointed over that :(
    I have neither Siemens nor HKC In my house so I'm on no ones side ....
    You really need to make up your mind. Wasn't that long ago you were slating HKC from a height , then you come on here saying the opposite. Some people just love to argue.
    yes but installers who are using HKC gear are holding off and telling customers that an app is on the way ..
    Consider it pre- ordering .... So HKC will catch up in no time ...
    In my experience most installers know better & give HKCs estimates a wide berth. How can you pre order something you havn't seen working??
    Belfunk wrote: »
    If HKC go down the subscription route for IP they've lost me as a customer.

How does the SPC notify you if the alarm is triggered, with no push does it even send an email?
    You can get notifications using a digi or an external device with an SMTP server.
    GSD are planning push notifications on their i70 . When I know more on that i'll let ye know.I'd imagine that will be before HKC , as at least I've seen a working version of that.

Why not release the Lan so?
    Or the app thats there?
    Seems strange to have a finished product and not wanting sell it?:confused::confused:

Nothing strange about it at all.
    There is no point releasing a product that is not supported by all apps.
    The iphone app is what is holding all this back.

I think you need to do your research on mobile apps...
    Most of the major companies would release an app on one platform before another. Most apps an an enhancement of a product.
    Eg we had online banking before the BOI app.
    We had online tickets before we had a ticket master app.
    We had Sky TV before we had an app.
    I could list the vast majority of app and the same would apply.
    Has HKC put all this time into a Lan card just for an App?
    So are you saying if there's no app the lan card is useless?
    Is there no Web server built into the panel?
    Could you not use the lan card to connect to the panel?
    Is there no configuration software that can connect via IP
    Sounds like it's very limited.
    How long is it now since version 3 was released? I remember hearing then the lan card was just ready.

Most of the major companies would release an app on one platform before another. Most apps an an enhancement of a product.
    How long is it now since version 3 was released? I remember hearing then the lan card was just ready.

The LAN card works for central station monitoring ............ Surely you know this

So it's only for monitoring or an app?
    Is that what your saying?

• Advertisement

Yes the Lan card is ready. Apple are the ones holding this up.
    We will just have to wait and see what the finished product does.

Are you saying the lan card & all the panel features are ready including the Android app & HKC aren't releasing the hardware or the software untill apple puts the app on the app store??:confused::confused:
    Baffling way to do business if true.
    I find if baffling that any company would let apple hold them up if they have the dominant app available.
    The only App on the Android Store for HKC is this and they are in Hong Kong.
    Must be waiting to get it to there as well.
    The logical thing on any project like this is test & release hardware then test & release the Apps.
    Again, going on previous form I won't get excited just yet.
    I wish I could, I would love to see all the major manufacturers with IP access ,its a great selling feature & the way forward for everything.

I agree, it will be a great selling point.
    As for the releasing side of things from my experience HKC will only release it when everything is available. Same with when the GSM-Q, wire free keypad and panic button where released. Software for the system to allow the use of the Lan card with these functions will also be released then. I suppose there is no point releasing different versions of software all the time.

In my experience HKC often have released panels etc when other parts and options weren't available. What were waiting for again when the quantum was released????

GSM-Q, wire free keypad and panic button as I have said. They where not released as there would of being 3 different software upgrades to allow each of these to work. Being released at the same time allowed one software upgrade.

And would that not mean that the panel was released without these things ready??
    And your argument is the Lan card isn't released just because the app is not in the App store???
    A strange logic your applying there..????

I am not arguing, just telling you what I know :D
    These where added devices to the Quantum and 10/70 range.
    The system as a whole was ready with a full suite of devices upon release.

You make a statement that HKC don't release something unless everything is ready but You then follow that up with examples of how they do..?
    How can you tell us that panic buttons and digis are not part of the system but one app on one platform and none of it gets released.?
    Again, the lengths you goto here just to argue for the sake of it really baffles me sometimes.

Again, I am not arguing. I am just telling you what I have being told :D

They are additional devices that where added to the range.

The GSM-Q was an additional device. The GSM-P was always there to be used.
    Like wise A Wired Panic button could be wired into a wire free sensor and set up as a panic. HKC then added a Wire free version.
    Again with the Wire Free Keypad it was an additional device added to the range.

Releasing these devices at different times would of meant an installer having to upgrade the software to add them. HKC released the additional devices together so only one software upgrade was needed.

The Lan card is released to use with monitoring station set up to use it.

The end user version is being held up by Apple. HKC dont want to release this as what is the point if not every end user can use it. Now to be honest if they just turned around and said, to hell with apple we will just do an android version then I would understand but they are not.

• Advertisement

Sorry but your making no sense to me here..
    Your not arguing? Your even arguing about whether your arguing on not.
    Your history speaks for itself in these matters ,Arguing just for the sake of it. Read back & see are you honestly making sense to yourself.
    I have given you loads of examples where products are released first & then the apps follow. This is quite normal. Updates are very normal. No reason not to release something because an update may be required afterwards.
    That being the case there would be no apps in the Play Store or App Store.
    Again you ignored by questions earlier about all the other features the LAN card could be used for & instead come out with
    HKC will only release it when everything is available.
    Quickly followed by the Quantum being released without...
    GSM-Q, wire free keypad and panic button
    Which according to you are extras...
    But an App isn't . Not only that , but only one app on one platform.
    So have HKC got the App on Play Store yet?

The Europlex SigNET was a very successful panel with a working LAN , Giving browser access, mobile phone access & IP access as well as monitoring and the Signet Secure Portal. It was only later that the iPhone App came & that was followed by Android.
    Now answer me honestly here, please.
    With something working successfully like that what would be the benefit on that not being released untill Siemens & SPC came along with SPC Anywhere?

I have 100s of those panels in where people use the browsers, not the apps.
    I have 100s that were sold prior to the Apps being available.
    There have been numerous updates before during and after the apps were released.
    Updates are simple & can even be done remotely via the LAN connection, so I don't see what the problem is about updates.

Advertisement