Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Lan Card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

To be honest you can read it as you want !!!

The Lan card is released for monitoring through a monitoring station.
    Apps to follow for end users.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As usual you ignore the questions you don't want to answer or don't know the answers to.
    As I said your history here on posts like this speaks for its self.
    So is the LAN card only for monitoring?
    No Portal?
    No Web browser?
    No Remote Config software?
    Sounds very limited compared to what's already available in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Smart link can be used with the LAN card AFAIK.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks for that. Not very many answers coming unfortunately.
    I'm still living in hope that this system will do more than Altors expectations and have multiple functions. Otherwise its going to be a bit short of what's already available.

The LAN card is only for monitoring and for using Smartlink 700 at this time ..
    When the app is released along with software it will allow remote access to the system via an app .
    IF the service is a subscription service it will allow for push notifications .

Will GSDi70 not be a subscription service ? Haven't heard anything from them here on boards.. Proving difficult to source the panel

• Advertisement

I would really like to see a free option for anyone who has another form of monitoring.
    I I said before I am limited as to what I can say re GSD because of an NDA in place between me & them.
    I'd imagine there will be a free app with free access there as well.
    Possibly another level with subscription may be acceptable at some level.
    But there's so many ways to do this for free.
    I certainly would not agree with a subscription charge just so you can connect to , what is effectively your own server.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

I have been reading this thread I am a bit confused. The way I see it from this thread is hkc have a lan card ready to connect to a monitoring station but wont release it cos the apps are not ready. But in one post its stated its only being released to connect to a monitoring station. So why has it not been released if its ready to be connected to a monitoring station. And why are apps being made if they cant be used . Maybe I am wrong or being stupid but hopefully someone can clear it up

I, m not sure HKC know themselves TBH.
    The last time I asked I got very vague answers.
    They didn't even seem to know if the panel would have a webserver to allow you direct connection.
    They weren't sure whether this would be a free service or whether it was to be a paid service.
    Anything with a network connection on your own network should be accessible directly very easily.
    I also find the iPhone app story a very strange excuse. Unfortunately those making these statements just want to argue and not answer the obvious questions.
    They say they are just waiting for the app to get onto the app store, but it doesn't seem to be on the Play store either.
    I have never heard of holding off on hardware release just because an app isn't on the App Store. As I said Europlex and Siemens had all their IP /Lan hardware successfully working long before either apps were available. Even after that apps are very rarely released on all platforms at the same time.
    From my experience take what HKC say with a pinch of salt. It's been a long time since we were told this Lan card was ready.

I have been reading this thread I am a bit confused. The way I see it from this thread is hkc have a lan card ready to connect to a monitoring station but wont release it cos the apps are not ready. But in one post its stated its only being released to connect to a monitoring station. So why has it not been released if its ready to be connected to a monitoring station. And why are apps being made if they cant be used . Maybe I am wrong or being stupid but hopefully someone can clear it up

The Lan card is released. It can be used for Monitoring of your system through a monitoring station.

For self monitoring using the APP you will need it connected to the HKC server. I am not sure how much this will cost but it will be a yearly subscription fee. From what I am told less than €20 per year but dont hold me to that as prices are not agreed yet.
    The control panel will not have a built in web browser and can only be controlled by the APP.
    The benefits will be push to mobile notifications. You will be able to control your system from anywhere in the world using your Phone. Also for controlling outputs and so on.
    Please note that only PSA engineers will be able to set this up as they are the only ones with access to HKC to do so.
    Engineers will also have access to the panel for remote configurations using Smartlink 700.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

A that clears things up. I thought from previous posts it wasn't relased due to the app not being ready. Is the lan card part of the pcb or an add on

• Advertisement

A that clears things up. I thought from previous posts it wasn't relased due to the app not being ready. Is the lan card part of the pcb or an add on

It is an add on.
    Here is a link.

altor wrote: »
    The Lan card is released. It can be used for Monitoring of your system through a monitoring station.

For self monitoring using the APP you will need it connected to the HKC server. I am not sure how much this will cost but it will be a yearly subscription fee. From what I am told less than €20 per year but dont hold me to that as prices are not agreed yet.
    The control panel will not have a built in web browser and can only be controlled by the APP.
    The benefits will be push to mobile notifications. You will be able to control your system from anywhere in the world using your Phone. Also for controlling outputs and so on.

A bit of a let down for me if they are going down that road.If your panel has a LAN connection a web server would be the simple & logical connection.
    Connection via a separate server seems unnecessary and purely there to facilitate a charge. I would like to see a free direct connection available for those with other forms of notification. Suppose I already have central station monitoring why should I have to pay just to connect to my panel over IP. ?

Like the SPC?

altor85418 wrote:
    Like the SPC?

Not sure what your asking or saying there.
    Perhaps you could clarify.
    Can you also confirm the Lan card is released..
    Asked 3 different suppliers today and they all said it's not.
    Also still wonder is the App available on the Play store?

The App not on the playstore as it has not being released. I too have tried to source one of these Lan cards today and have being told the same. Although I am aware of them being in place on a number of sites. I will make more inquires tomorrow.

My question Re the SPC is, it does have the App in place but not push notifications to a mobile. So if you have an alarm activation while logged in you need to refresh the page to see this. This should be a feature which I am sure you agree it lacks.

Is the app for the GSD out yet ?

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Is the app for the GSD out yet ?

The only one I could find for GSD was this one.

The App not on the playstore as it has not being released. I too have tried to source one of these Lan cards today and have being told the same. Although I am aware of them being in place on a number of sites. I will make more inquires tomorrow.

My question Re the SPC is, it does have the App in place but not push notifications to a mobile. So if you have an alarm activation while logged in you need to refresh the page to see this. This should be a feature which I am sure you agree it lacks.

I thought all that was holding the app up was getting it to the app store.?
    Are they waiting to get it to both then?
    I agree push notifications would be good on SPC, but at least you have free access to your panel directly. I don't get why you should have to pay for this .
    Re GSD .. still some testing.

The Lan card is released. It can be used for Monitoring of your system .

Just got this checked out from one of my suppliers and HKC.
    The Lan card is not released.
    It is still being tested.
    The latest date for release is the 2nd or 3rd week in December.
    Hope this clarifys much of the conflicting information posted in this thread.

KoolKid wrote: »
    I agree push notifications would be good on SPC, but at least you have free access to your panel directly. I don't get why you should have to pay for this.

Free access to view and control. It is a big let down for the SPC App.
    Re GSD .. still some testing.

I hear there is going to be a charge for there service to push to mobile.

That is correct, although being used on a lot of sites this is for testing purposes only and wont be released until December early January.

• Advertisement

Free access to view and control. It is a big let down for the SPC App.
    The Siemens SPC panels are free to control and view the alarm(and some IP cameras) via both apps & via a built in web browser.
    I hear there is going to be a charge for there service to push to mobile.

I don't think anything has been decided. Again I'm limited in what I can say on this as I've already explained.
    When I know more & can say more I will post the correct information accurately here on boards so there is not the same confusion there is re this .

Firstly what's the odds of you having an alarm activation while your logged into the system anyway.
    Secondly if you are logged in working on the system or making changes somewhere the information is being refreshed all the time.
    Thirdly push notifications, while good, are not always that instant.
    I have many apps with push notifications across multiple devices. I've often seen over 30 minutes between the same notification getting to different devices.
    Yes push notifications may be good & suit many people.
    My point again here is if I choose to pay for another form of monitoring , why should I have to pay a subscription to access my alarm panel via app or browser.

There is no point releasing a product that is not supported by all apps.
    The iphone app is what is holding all this back.
    Yes the Lan card is ready. Apple are the ones holding this up.
    We will just have to wait and see what the finished product does.
    The Lan card is released to use with monitoring station set up to use it.
    The end user version is being held up by Apple. HKC dont want to release this as what is the point if not every end user can use it
    HKC will only release it when everything is available.

The Lan card is released for monitoring through a monitoring station.
    Apps to follow for end users.

The App not on the playstore as it has not being released. I too have tried to source one of these Lan cards today and have being told the same.

That is correct, although being used on a lot of sites this is for testing purposes only and wont be released until December early January.

So which is it?
    Do you really not know when you are posting or , again, are you just arguing for the sake of it.:confused::confused:

Firstly what's the odds of you having an alarm activation while your logged into the system anyway.
    Secondly if you are logged in working on the system or making changes somewhere the information is being refreshed all the time.
    Thirdly push notifications, while good, are not always that instant.
    I have many apps with push notifications across multiple devices. I've often seen over 30 minutes between the same notification getting to different devices.
    Yes push notifications may be good & suit many people.
    My point again here is if I choose to pay for another form of monitoring , why should I have to pay a subscription to access my alarm panel via app or browser.

Yes a web browser is a good feature.
    I agree but I still think the push notifications missing is a big let down.
    You just log out after refreshing your App then your house gets broken into.
    Now what ever time you get the notification at lease you know, not the next time you log into your app.

Some Apps that have push notification will allow you set up delay that the notification is sent, just like the phone receiving the notification some can be set to check for the notification.

Not saying this is your issue but it is something I would check.
    I don't think anything has been decided. Again I'm limited in what I can say on this as I've already explained.
    When I know more & can say more I will post the correct information accurately here on boards so there is not the same confusion there is re this .

A couple of options from what I am hearing alright.
    Thought this was going to be free but looking like there will be some fee involved.
    So which is it?
    Do you really not know when you are posting or , again, are you just arguing for the sake of it.:confused::confused:

I hope this clears it up.

The delays on push notifications is not a particular app issue or setting. I've noticed it across multiple apps.
    Again I'm asking if anyone has another form of monitoring should they not be able to have free IP access to their panel whether it be via a browser or an app.
    Again on GSD I don't know what the plans are. I would like to see free access or an upgrade to paid for extra features. I will let everyone know as soon as I can.
    Perhaps let's leave the hearsay out of it. Look how much grief it had caused with your HKC comments.

Again I'm asking if anyone has another form of monitoring should they not be able to have free IP access to their panel whether it be via a browser or an app.

If the system has a built in Browser then yes they should.
    Again on GSD I don't know what the plans are. I would like to see free access or an upgrade to paid for extra features. I will let everyone know as soon as I can.
    Perhaps let's leave the hearsay out of it. Look how much grief it had caused with your HKC comments.

Not looking good for the free push notifications so.
    What type of upgrade for extra features do you think should be charged for?

A browser / Web server is not a huge hassle to add to a system. The only reason to deny free access is to force a charge for it. There is no reason to charge people to have access where they have another form of monitoring.
    I would have the same attitude to the GSD system.
    Again I'll repeat I'm not going guess or speculate on their intentions or plans. It just causes grief and hassle when people post false and wrong information.

I agree it would be a good feature to have.

You have said would like to see free access or an upgrade to paid for extra features. What are the extra features you would like to see paid for?

I have already said I'm not going to discuss or speculate on what features or charges may or may not be applicable to the GSD system. It would also be wrong for me to post an opinion based on any information I have which is protected by a NDA.
    I have stated that over and over. Why do you keep asking??

I have already said I'm not going to discuss or speculate on what features or charges may or may not be applicable to the GSD system. It would also be wrong for me to post an opinion based on any information I have which is protected by a NDA.
    I have stated that over and over. Why do you keep asking??

I am just asking your opinion in relation to free access or an upgrade to paid for extra features.
    In your opinion what should be free and what do you class as an upgrade to paid for extra features?

Nothing to do with GSD.

I am just asking your opinion in relation to free access or an upgrade to paid for extra features.
    In your opinion what should be free and what do you class as an upgrade to paid for extra features?

Nothing to do with GSD.

As usual around in circles we go.
    Read my post above please.
    Any opinions I would have would be based on information I have that is not yet in the public domain. Therefore I don't deem it appropriate to comment at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've a suggestion, what about just discussing the possibilities of LAN cards. Obviously we don't have named reps from the companies here and people are signed up to NDAs so its pointless backing each other into a corner.

Did I ever tell you I made my own Android app for the Siemens panel? still works, but its basic enough, but enough about me :)
    my friend made a C# hosted service for his so its platform independent runs on a web service so android, pc, iphone etc all work .

I showed my app to someone in the game before , he hid how impressed he was very well, so well in fact that you couldn't even tell that he was impressed at all.

anyway he told me that I should not have my system certified as it was against the regs for me to disarm my panel remotely, I had to be there on site.

I have to say that I have found the ability to turn on lights, heating and on/off/part on my alarm remotely to be very handy.

So technically is it against the regs to turn off an alarm if you are not on the site?

Advertisement