Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Lan Card

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I don't believe it is. You still require the same user credentials.
    Given that Siemens is one of the most certified panels I don't believe its a problem.
    Remember unlike many panels out there which are self certified Siemens spent good money getting the SPC range certified themselves.
    That way some inspectors can't pick at them for petty bugs that don't conform.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

Hi guys
    Seemingly the Hkc LAN card is available. As I understand it plugs onto the sw1070 panel using j2 port. This is also the port for the gsm-q unit. If u want to control the outputs I presume the app due to be released would do this and u would need a DTV card for texts etc from the panel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any source for this?
    Everything I have heard suggests December or new year..

KoolKid wrote: »
    Any source for this?
    Everything I have heard suggests December or new year..

Got this reply from HKC this morning looks like DTV card is needed when LAN card is released
    'The LAN card is not for general sale as it is still undergoing final test. The LAN card is for CS monitoring and App control and Smatlink700 connection no SMS so YES DTV will be needed.
    HKC will be running training around all of the set up and new products when they are released. You can apply for product training on the HKC website but will probably commence in the new year.'

So the Lan card is not yet available..
    Doesn't sound like push notifications are an option or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

It's a shame for anyone who has bought the gsm-q cards as when the LAN card is released those who use the app and LAN card will render the gsm-q card unless and will have to install the DTV card

Why they don't just have a straightforward IP connection and let the panel work as a server baffles me. They seem to be complicating it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

It's a shame for anyone who has bought the gsm-q cards as when the LAN card is released those who use the app and LAN card will render the gsm-q card unless and will have to install the DTV card

The GSM will still function normally.
    It can be used as a back up if the LAN is down so wont be useless or render it defunct. It can also be used to communicate with Securecom when that is set up.

Thanks Altor will the LAN card plug onto the other serial port on the panel as the gsm unit is on the other one. What is securecomm when it launches?

HKC are being very secretive about this device.
    Realistically it's looking like next year before we see this released.
    From what I have seen the unit will plug onto the main PCB.
    From what I have heard secure com will be HKCs servers which the IP connection will go through.
    Why there is no option to connect directly and use the panel as a web server still baffles me.

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor will the LAN card plug onto the other serial port on the panel as the gsm unit is on the other one. What is securecomm when it launches?

That is correct Sean.

I don't want to comment on the LAN card or Securecomm until it is released.
    My advice is to wait and see what HKC have produced.

altor wrote: »
    That is correct Sean.

I don't want to comment on the LAN card or Securecomm until it is released.
    My advice is to wait and see what HKC have produced.

Any ideas as to a release date for the LAN card? Hkc told me this side of Xmas but nothing confirmed

Any ideas as to a release date for the LAN card? Hkc told me this side of Xmas but nothing confirmed

Still in testing. Say next year.

From what I've see on this and other products I don't take their release dates to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

The LAN cards will only be of use to anyone who uses an installer to setup and maintain the system ??

So the end user can not use it to access their panel directly?
    Can you confirm this is the case & where you are sourcing this information.?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

So the end user can not use it to access their panel directly?
    Can you confirm this is the case & where you are sourcing this information.?

this is what I'm hearing from installers . hence the question marks :).

I was under the impression that users will pay a fee ? something similar to ALARM.com in the states but for HKC gear.
    does this mean HKC will forward info to monitoring stations or are they going to start monitoring systems ?
    It would be a good idea to allow other panels to connect to the servers for control via apps. id pay if meant I could use my own panel and control it from an app on my phone .

does anyone know if theres a service like Alarm.com here in Ireland?

Evolution1 wrote: »
    this is what I'm hearing from installers . hence the question marks :).
    That's what's doing the rounds all right, but nothing definitive from HKC unfortunately.
    I was under the impression that users will pay a fee ? something similar to ALARM.com in the states but for HKC gear.
    does this mean HKC will forward info to monitoring stations or are they going to start monitoring systems ?
    Don't think a manufacturer like HKC is going to start their own monitoring station.
    It would be a good idea to allow other panels to connect to the servers for control via apps. id pay if meant I could use my own panel and control it from an app on my phone .
    I wouldn't, not seeing as there is already systems available that allow you to do this for free, and allow you to connect directly.
    Am I missing something here, or why is there a need to connect via a 3rd party server other than to create a chargeable service. An unnecessary one at that.
    There are tons of apps out there that do push notifications & don't charge for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Are we now looking at a situation where a clients router has to become part of their alarm system and then will it have to be hooked up to a PSU etc?

kub wrote: »
    Are we now looking at a situation where a clients router has to become part of their alarm system and then will it have to be hooked up to a PSU etc?

If the regs ever catch up, instead of worrying about the rating of a fuse on 1.5 flex, then maybe. However, if there is a power cut in the area the chances are the ISP will be down regardless of any local UPS.

• Advertisement

The LAN cards will only be of use to anyone who uses an installer to setup and maintain the system ??

That is correct. Only installers on the PSA website will be able to set up the LAN card.

So an end user won't be able to use it to set up access to their own panel. ???

It Is not built into the system. Its a plug on module. Remote access can be done through a GSM if the LAN card does not suit.

What difference does it make whether it's a plug on or not?
    So an end user can't avail of this to have access to their own panel via IP?
    This saga is just getting stranger and stranger IMO..

What difference does it make whether it's a plug on or not?

Its an added device so your not being charged for it.

And why does that make it un-installable and unuseable by an end user?

Its not sold as part of the main system.

I know that. But i'm still wondering why this is not available to users to want to self install or who want to upgrade their own system to have IP access to their own panel.
    Is it back to this going to be a subscription service?

We will just have to wait till its released to see what the end product does.
    No point speculating.

• Advertisement

Can't see any other reason why they are not giving everyone access to their own panel directly.
    I was really hoping for something to compete with the SPC range.
    I think I'm going to be disappointed unfortunately.

Advertisement