Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No "foreign sports" on our fields but GAA Road Races are ok

Options
  • 03-09-2013 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

They are generally just for funding/charity and for getting the community involved.
    Can't really have the local town in a GAA match.
    And I don't think they would have an issue with "The Athletic Club GAA match"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

AFAIK GAA clubs HAVE to host a road race for some reason or another this year. Can't remember all the details but I'm sure someone on here will know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Please don't tar all GAA clubs with the same brush. 10 in 10 would have had no facilities for changing showering etc without the support of the Local GAA Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I would never support a GAA road race simply because I've no time for them, most of them don't have permits although I've heard of one recently that took out its own insurance just in case there was any accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

NiallG4 wrote: »
    e

??? Your original post has disappeared !

The GAA has move on a lot in terms of attitude to "foreign sports" as you put it so I don't see the point in going on about this really. The beauty about any race is that you have the choice whether to enter or not - if you don't like the organisation then just don't enter.

Regarding the GAA, it may not be everyone's choice but I find that the GAA is a great community organisation which, in my area, has hundreds of kids involved in sporting activity on a daily basis. In my opinion this can only be a good thing when we are looking at such a high rate of childhood obesity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I never knew running was a foreign sport.
    Where does it come from?

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

Maybe they're just going back to their roots...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Gaelic Athletic Association

If anything they should promote more events?

kit3 wrote: »
    What did the original post say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

pa4 wrote: »
    What did the original post say?

The original post dealt with the fact that, according to the op, there are too many GAA road races in Co Louth basically. The OP might want to clarify that for himself though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

pa4 wrote: »
    I would never support a GAA road race simply because I've no time for them, most of them don't have permits although I've heard of one recently that took out its own insurance just in case there was any accidents.

who would you like them to have permits from??

i know of one that was licenced by AAI and officially measured and calibrated by them yet I saw a seasoned runner moaning about it on facebook as having none of these things.

amazing what ignorance can do for people

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't object to the GAA running a race, more than I'd have a problem with a soccer club or hockey club or chess club running a race. Or a local charity for that matter. But - as much as the carpetbaggers discussed elsewhere - they're doing it because they think it's an easy way of raising money. You might get some nice food afterwards and plenty of volunteers on the day, but will the course be measured properly? Will it have an AAI permit? Will they have insurance? Will there be decent prizemoney? Will any of the money raised go to developing athletics?
    If there's a GAA race in an area, I wonder where the athletics club race is?

slingerz wrote: »
    who would you like them to have permits from??

i know of one that was licenced by AAI and officially measured and calibrated by them yet I saw a seasoned runner moaning about it on facebook as having none of these things.

amazing what ignorance can do for people
    Permits from the AAI obviously which can be gotten through clubs. In North Tipp I know of two GAA road races this year, one actualy applied for a permit but was denied one because there was already a race that same day down south, this was the third year in a row that they were denied. They took out their own insurance instead AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Where does it come from?

It must be foreign to you with all your injuries ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

kit3 wrote: »

The GAA has move on a lot in terms of attitude to "foreign sports" as you put it so I don't see the point in going on about this really. The beauty about any race is that you have the choice whether to enter or not - if you don't like the organisation then just don't enter.

Regarding the GAA, it may not be everyone's choice but I find that the GAA is a great community organisation which, in my area, has hundreds of kids involved in sporting activity on a daily basis. In my opinion this can only be a good thing when we are looking at such a high rate of childhood obesity.

Not totally opposed to them. Just wanted a general view on them. There has been a serious amount of them in Co. Louth this year and in South Armagh, nearly every club has a 10K e.g. Crossmaglen, Culloville, Killeavy. Just a general wondering if (and I know this wont happen) some other sport started making easy money off the back of GAA, would the GAA be up in arms over it. Just wondering. That's all. The "foreign sports" line was tongue in cheek. I was brought up hearing all other sports as "foreign" that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

mloc123 wrote: »
    Gaelic Athletic Association

If anything they should promote more events?

When the GAA ran athletics in this country we dominated

Pre-1922 when the GAA ran athletics in this country, GAA athletes won 26 track and field medals in the Olympics and since 1922 we have won…..6.

What Irish Athletics event could be compared with the Tailteann games of 1924, 1928, and 1932?

The Special Olympics would never have come to Ireland if the GAA did not have the foresight to rebuild Croke Park.

How many IMRA, WAR or other triathlon & athletics events use GAA facilities? How many basketball, badminton etc use GAA halls.

Foreign sports as you put was never the issue per say, it was the colonial attitudes of the governing bodies, the denigration of Irish culture and fighting the tip the hat mentality of the subservient beaten down masses who were happy to ape their colonial masters.

We are going back in time and its hardly relevant these days, bit like Irish cyclist fighting with each other in 1972 pulling each other off bikes in the Olympics has any relevance to Cycling Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Some people are so precious.

Does it really matter if the local gaa/soccer/tiddlywinks club organise a non certified fundraising run?

If people don't like the fact it may not be chipped or accurately measured then don't run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

When the GAA ran athletics in this country we dominated

Pre-1922 when the GAA ran athletics in this country, GAA athletes won 26 track and field medals in the Olympics and since 1922 we have won…..6.

What Irish Athletics event could be compared with the Tailteann games of 1924, 1928, and 1932?

The Special Olympics would never have come to Ireland if the GAA did not have the foresight to rebuild Croke Park.

How many IMRA, WAR or other triathlon & athletics events use GAA facilities? How many basketball, badminton etc use GAA halls.

Foreign sports as you put was never the issue per say, it was the colonial attitudes of the governing bodies, the denigration of Irish culture and fighting the tip the hat mentality of the subservient beaten down masses who were happy to ape their colonial masters.

We are going back in time and its hardly relevant these days, bit like Irish cyclist fighting with each other in 1972 pulling each other off bikes in the Olympics has any relevance to Cycling Ireland today.

26 medals pre 1922 by GAA athletes? Source please? Also completely discounting the fact that pre 1922 Olympics was essentially a joke w/ competition coming only really from within several competing countries- certainly not the global competition it is today. Ireland as a stronghold of the British Empire would have been well placed to excel in this kind of gentleman's activity.

Unreal as an outsider in Ireland the politicisation of sport by the GAA and the amount of absolute rubbish spouted off to justify completely outlandish claims they make about their participants(i.e. fastest game in the world etc etc). Would have no problem running in their races and can certainly see some of the positive they do in (particularly rural) communities but would have to laugh at the notion of a GAA race as a serious athletic competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Where does it come from?

I heard it came from Tyrone :D

drquirky wrote: »
    26 medals pre 1922 by GAA athletes? Source please? Also completely discounting the fact that pre 1922 Olympics was essentially a joke w/ competition coming only really from within several competing countries- certainly not the global competition it is today. Ireland as a stronghold of the British Empire would have been well placed to excel in this kind of gentleman's activity.

Unreal as an outsider in Ireland the politicisation of sport by the GAA and the amount of absolute rubbish spouted off to justify completely outlandish claims they make about their participants(i.e. fastest game in the world etc etc). Would have no problem running in their races and can certainly see some of the positive they do in (particularly rural) communities but would have to laugh at the notion of a GAA race as a serious athletic competition.

Have a read about the Irish Whales or athletes like Peter O'Connor.

Not sure what you mean by outsider but its hardly a rural sport. Dublin has 91 GAA clubs and nearly 100,000 members. How many of the 82,000 at the game on Sunday or 1.2million watching were rural.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    It must be foreign to you with all your injuries ;)

I'd still bet a tenner I did more miles last week than you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have a read about the Irish Whales
    Didn't they compete and win medals for the US and Canada? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Have a read about the Irish Whales or athletes like Peter O'Connor.

Not sure what you mean by outsider but its hardly a rural sport. Dublin has 91 GAA clubs and nearly 100,000 members. How many of the 82,000 at the game on Sunday or 1.2million watching were rural.

Again- show me your evidence of GAA trained athletes winning 26 olympic medals. As KC pointed out most of your "Whales" won medals for my country (and many were native born Americans)

I think there are many really good things about the GAA but certainly training Athletes in any discipline outside their own, provincial sports is certainly not one of them. I'd just be happier if politics/ nationalism was out of sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't object to the GAA running a race, more than I'd have a problem with a soccer club or hockey club or chess club running a race. Or a local charity for that matter. But - as much as the carpetbaggers discussed elsewhere - they're doing it because they think it's an easy way of raising money. You might get some nice food afterwards and plenty of volunteers on the day, but will the course be measured properly? Will it have an AAI permit? Will they have insurance? Will there be decent prizemoney? Will any of the money raised go to developing athletics?
    If there's a GAA race in an area, I wonder where the athletics club race is?

Thats the case for a lot of races nowadays unless they're run by running clubs so if the GAA want to join in, let them. They're a community based body and will invest the money in the area unlike a lot of groups who have no interest in the area/region that the event takes places in.

GAA clubs will raise money for GAA activities, or at least the community field/centre that clubs in rural Ireland. I'm from Waterford and the nearest athletics club is 10 miles from the local GAA club so a lot of the time there is no clash i would. I know the GAA teams and soccer teams play on the same pitches.

Didn't they compete and win medals for the US and Canada? :confused:
    Correct, I said GAA athletes, lads who were GAA athletes and won Olympic medals. They won medals for Britain, USA, Canada etc.

Of course there is that great story about O'Connor who climbed the flagpole to take down the Union Jack and hoist the Irish harp, god forbid politics and sport might mix.

On my phone but ill dig up the list of who won what and for who tomorrow.

drquirky wrote: »
    Again- show me your evidence of GAA trained athletes winning 26 olympic medals. As KC pointed out most of your "Whales" won medals for my country (and many were native born Americans)

I think there are many really good things about the GAA but certainly training Athletes in any discipline outside their own, provincial sports is certainly not one of them. I'd just be happier if politics/ nationalism was out of sport.

And I wish for world peace....in that case why have athletes representing countries or national teams in any sport. If you mean sectarianism and class politics then I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

GAA is run by people looking to use the players to gain as much advantage for their club/county and once they are past their prime then there is little place for them in playing the sport for fitness for life which essentially why most non elites do it. While the players are actually the cornerstone of the organization they get the raw deal. It thus results in actions that effect the players being made by a has been who play no sport at all. The stereotypical GAA manager has a pot belly and is nothing more than someone who spends their weekend on the couch watching sport only they take their watching to a higher level. When the GAA (if they ever do) sort out the issue that fitness is life long and more important when you are over 35 than under then I might feel that a single cent of the money that goes to them is being well spent. The GAA is no special organization. If it wasn't there then people would simply play another sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Mods - when are the nominations opening for silliest thread of the year ?

The running calendar these days is chock-a-block with charity funruns of every variety, which vary in quality from good to dismal - we all know that. It is not surprising given the boom in recreational running. Blaming the GAA seems harsh.

If you don't like the runs - don't run them. How are they affecting you ?

The thread has got even more hilarious as it has gone off topic, but not surprising as the original point was dubious

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Members of GAA clubs are sportspeople who are genreally fit. So a race appeals to there competitive nature which matches their level of fitness. I would find it odd if they didn't cross disciplines

• Advertisement

huskerdu wrote: »
    Mods - when are the nominations opening for silliest thread of the year ?

The running calendar these days is chock-a-block with charity funruns of every variety, which vary in quality from good to dismal - we all know that. It is not surprising given the boom in recreational running. Blaming the GAA seems harsh.

If you don't like the runs - don't run them. How are they affecting you ?

The thread has got even more hilarious as it has gone off topic, but not surprising as the original point was dubious
    Its just gonna turn into a GAA bashing thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement