Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A boat full of carbs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Swear filter broke your link

Edit and mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Oops, that should do it: http://tinyurl.com/mxh27yy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

kennyb3 wrote: »
    @ ford2600, as someone only a couple of months bit down the rabbit hole so far on this lchf diet, did your ldl numbers level off or have you still concerns about them. I know all your other figures are excellent. Does the high ldl concern you - given you can't get your particle size tested here? Or are you just taking it on trust they are big? Or is it a case of everything else is great so why worry?

(sorry for the hi-jack)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14564088

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11092292

http://www.lipidcenter.com/pdf/TG_HDL_Ratio.pdf

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jat/10/3/10_3_186/_pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

This got me laughing ... http://anthonycolpo.com/announcing-the-most-effective-fat-burning-device-ever-invented/

I'm only in this game a short while so I'm not sure if this guy is being sarcastic or genuine. All I wanted to do was re-read the 'Coffee with butter/coconut oil for breakfast' thing that I read in this thread a while ago... or was it somewhere else :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Probably a bulletproof coffee. Dave Asprey developed it. He uses MCT oil.

MCT oil can cause a mild allergic reaction in some people. I think it's something in the processing of the coconut oil. I read about it but can't remember the ins and outs of it. I haven't used MCT oil, it's expensive. I like butter in mine. Tried coconut oil but I don't like the taste in coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Does any outlet in Dublin or beyond sell a prepared bulletproof coffee? My curiosity tells me to try a few before I shell out on the means to make my own.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭smcclaw

http://athlete.io/5084/why-breakfast-is-nothing-but-a-scam/

Love the battle on the comments, nutrition is one of these things that make people go mental when debating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

On the bulletproof coffee - I don't drink them, not a fan, but have a question - why unsalted butter? There's not really a huge amount of salt in butter and when you've cut out added salt (shaker) and processed food sugar - surely there isn't too much to worry about salt wise?

Do people use unsalted butter for frying? I've just been using this

Also my go to dish if I'm not in the mood for meat or fish (rare) is a bowl of berries (blueberries, raspberries and strawberries) covered in double cream - any other suggestions welcome. Eat plenty of cheese too but feel i need a bit more variation without too much complication.

Also I found this nugget on the CSS website hilarious;

CARBOHYDRATES – ESSENTIAL BODY FUEL

As with any sport, it is important to maintain energy levels, prevent fatigue and maintain blood glucose levels. Carbohydrates are the most efficient fuel for energy production, and as they can be stored in the liver and muscles they function as a readily available energy source for prolonged strenuous exercise.
    Complex carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, couscous, bread and noodles should make up at least 50 per cent of the energy content of your diet. Currently, as a population we are consuming only 42 per cent of energy as carbohydrate and making up the difference by eating more fat.

Yep we all need to up our carb intake - the world isn't fat enough yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

On the bulletproof coffee - I don't drink them, not a fan, but have a question - why unsalted butter? There's not really a huge amount of salt in butter and when you've cut out added salt (shaker) and processed food sugar - surely there isn't too much to worry about salt wise?

Also my go to dish if I'm not in the mood for meat or fish (rare) is a bowl of berries (blueberries, raspberries and strawberries) covered in double cream - any other suggestions welcome. Eat plenty of cheese too but feel i need a bit more variation without too much complication.

Tried it with salted butter didn't like it must try it with unsalted or coconut oil. Coconut oil is good for frying doesn't work with some things though because of the flavour. You can get it cheap in an Asian market.

You eat nut's? Eat a lot of brazil, pecan and walnuts. Lidl is good for these. Nice to add to some berries and greek yogurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Salted butter tastes horrible in bp coffee, makes it taste gone off, unsalted glenstal butter the best i've used. Frying eggs and veg its salted butter all the way, with some maldron salt added too :) I think its all a taste thing rather than a dropping salt thing

Ryath wrote: »
    Tried it with salted butter didn't like it must try it with unsalted or coconut oil. Coconut oil is good for frying doesn't work with some things though because of the flavour. You can get it cheap in an Asian market.

You eat nut's? Eat a lot of brazil, pecan and walnuts. Lidl is good for these. Nice to add to some berries and greek yogurt

Cheers, yeah eat plenty of nuts (macadmia's, brazil and walnuts as snack in work).

Usually add a spoon or two of greek yogurt to the bowl of cream and berries.Yum yum!

Salted butter tastes horrible in bp coffee, makes it taste gone off, unsalted glenstal butter the best i've used. Frying eggs and veg its salted butter all the way, with some maldron salt added too :) I think its all a taste thing rather than a dropping salt thing

Cheers that explains it so.

Classic that almost all the pics are butter smothered on carbs though! Nice to see some kind of message is getting places though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Classic that almost all the pics are butter smothered on carbs though! Nice to see some kind of message is getting places though! :)

...and soon it will come full circle that ALL macronutrients in the ratio and amount required to achieve the particular goals of the "dieter" are to be considered equally important. Carbs are NOT evil, nor are fats or proteins, we are designed to deal with all three groups and depending on whether your goals are fat loss, muscle gain, fat gain, muscle loss, etc.. they can all be tuned to have the required effect. What is becoming more evident is that focus on ONE of the macronutrient groups as a sustainable lifestyle is not necessarily a panacea to cure all ills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

DaithiMC wrote: »
    ...and soon it will come full circle that ALL macronutrients in the ratio and amount required to achieve the particular goals of the "dieter" are to be considered equally important. Carbs are NOT evil, nor are fats or proteins, we are designed to deal with all three groups and depending on whether your goals are fat loss, muscle gain, fat gain, muscle loss, etc.. they can all be tuned to have the required effect. What is becoming more evident is that focus on ONE of the macronutrient groups as a sustainable lifestyle is not necessarily a panacea to cure all ills.

A lot to be said for common sense and this comment has plenty of that.

I'm not low carb and would fully agree carb is important especially when eaten at appropriate times, and I don't think they're evil, but I don't think bread is something that has any real health benefits to it and the first photo in the pic is butter smothered on toast. I would say it is delicious however...

AFAIK people tend to recommend carb with protein and lower fat on active days, and protein and fat on less active days, and that the fat/carb mix is the one to avoid. Common man might read that article and double their butter on their toast and sandwiches and expect to improve health/weight, which was what I was referring to

If you mean carbs like pasta, wheat, sugar then I can't personally find a single benefit for them and I could argue for days that they are pointless to be in anyones diets.

On the other hand if you mean vegetable/fruit carbs and very very specific low gi ones (like sweet potato) then I would say for sure.

And low-fat products are idiotic, there is no middle ground there.

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »

Have you read his book?

Volek and Pinney and also Peter Attia strongly recommend adding salt to your diet as on high fat your kidneys dump salt.

If you eat a lot of bacon your probably good to go.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have you read his book?

His book is excellent. The epilogue in particular.

Gary Taubes also did an article on salt.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I don't restrict salt at all and my blood pressure is fine. Had it measured a fair few times while in for surgery recently.

Taubes did another article on salt in 1998. I think it was his first dietary article. http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/science-political-science-of-salt.pdf

His book is excellent. The epilogue in particular.

The bit that said alcohol is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The bit that said alcohol is good!

What did he say about booze ?

Its gas that any discussion Ive had with anyone about diet, they always leave booze out of it. Critisizing those pints at the weekend - well thats taking things too far ffs. If a man can't have his few pints then what can he have ? etc etc :pac:.

ror_74 wrote: »

Its gas that any discussion Ive had with anyone about diet, they always leave booze out of it. Critisizing those pints at the weekend - well thats taking things too far ffs. If a man can't have his few pints then what can he have ? etc etc :pac:.

In a nutshell stress causes heart disease, all kinds of stress.

Enjoy food, a drink or two, exercise some, make plenty friendd enjoy your work, and ride plenty (I might have added that bit).

"If you don't drink, start. If you do drink, drink regularly - don't binge drink - and make you sure you enjoy what you drink. Drink with friends, drink sociably; don't drink to get drunk." - Malcolm Kendrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

This is a good read and a lot of sense.
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/11/the-pursuit-of-leanness/

• Advertisement

If you mean carbs like pasta, wheat, sugar then I can't personally find a single benefit for them and I could argue for days that they are pointless to be in anyones diets.

On the other hand if you mean vegetable/fruit carbs and very very specific low gi ones (like sweet potato) then I would say for sure.

And low-fat products are idiotic, there is no middle ground there.

Well, if I was a starving individual I might see a benefit in anything that is edible, or if I am a diabetic with a sugar low I might see a benefit in a "fast" or high GI sugar! OK - they're extreme examples but the point is that it probably is more important to come at this from the objectives perspective, i.e., what is the overall objective or outcome sought, and then align the proportion of macronutrients, and even the types required.

Many pro racers are regularly seen swigging high sugar drinks during and at the end of races so they and their training staff clearly see a benefit. For most cyclist who cycle at below their maximum sustainable efforts, this kind of replenishment is probably of lower or similar benefit to low GI carbs so with that "objective" in mind I would agree with you. I was recently at a seminar in which a speaker illustrated, after an exhaustive search of the available literature (1200+ papers whittled to 200+ relevant papers), that it is the carb-load that may be more important than the "quality" of the carb - which is kind of where I am coming from when I consider the "objective" more important as an up front consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

I don't think there's anything new in restricting sugars/ carbs in Diabetes management.. sugarless jams are available for diabetics for many years as far as I am aware

Normally when we eat food, in particular carbohydrates (starches and
    sugars) the level of glucose in our blood increases. In response to this
    the pancreas produces insulin which brings the level of glucose back to
    normal. Insulin is a hormone which is produced by a small organ in the
    body called the pancreas.

Include a starchy carbohydrate food such as bread, cereal, potato, rice
    or pasta (eat the appropriate portion) at each meal.

Both quotes taken from
    http://www.diabetes.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Healthy-Eating-Type-2-Booklet-July-12.pdf

Something to add to the thought process.... we are complex animals, difficult to get those laboratory conditions correct I suppose.... http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28797106

• Advertisement

Something to add to the thought process.... we are complex animals, difficult to get those laboratory conditions correct I suppose.... http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28797106

If studies show that unprocessed red meat is bad for you after controlling for meat eaters who smoke, drink too much, don't eat enough fish, get enough sleep etc then I'll have a good look at it.

Eat about 55- 60% fat without eating much meat at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If nothing else, adopting a LCHF diet has made me question many more aspects of dietary studies/reports/advice. So while before I might have read that BBC article and come away from it thinking that yes of course, saturated fat is implicitly bad for you, and that someone putting on weight was clearly an undesirable consequence of eating more meat as the article author suggests, nowadays I look at a sentence like:
    After a month of bacon sandwiches and burgers I had piled on the weight and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels both soared.

…and instead of concluding/accepting that eating lots of meat makes you fat and less healthy, I start to wonder how much the increased carb intake implied by “sandwich” and “burger” contributed to the (implied) negative outcomes. I’ve absolutely no idea how to answer such questions, but the fact that such questions are not even mentioned in the article makes me question the quality of the content and the reliability of any conclusions or suggestions contained within it.

So an LCHF diet certainly continues to offer me health benefits that I value, but leaves me fretting over far more stuff that I simply (and ignorantly, for the most part) took for granted before. All that fretting increases my risk of stress-related illness by 10% (study group of 1), shortening my expected life span by 30 minutes per year (the accuracy of this claim by me has been “independently” verified by me). So my new diet is healthier (for me), but is killing me faster. I shall generalise wildly and conclude that good health is bad for you and invite Horizon to make a program on that. (Contact me quick Horizon, I'm dying here you know! :) ).

+1, those eating all the extra meat will no doubt be having Steak and chips or fry ups with beans (10g of sugar per half can), break and ketchup.

These studies are plain ridiculous really. Way way way too many factors influencing the outcome.

+1, those eating all the extra meat will no doubt be having Steak and chips or fry ups with beans (10g of sugar per half can), break and ketchup.

These studies are plain ridiculous really. Way way way too many factors influencing the outcome.

Well the problem with saying "these studies are plain ridiculous" is that we are seeing this reported through a documentary which summarises and simplifies the studies. It is impossible to go back to the original studies without the specific references to them and assess whether they were ward controlled of "free humans", the latter of course being completely uncontrolled.

When I see a disparity in conclusions such at this, effectively indicating that North Americans and Europeans are different species, I immediately am suspicious about the experimental design. What I am trying to figure out at this stage in my life is how to grow old healthily, i.e., I'd rather just "stop" one day than have a slow lingering meander through a chronic, progressively debilitating disease. Making the presumption that I get to "stop" I need to therefore be mobile and compos mentis, so being overweight challenges the physical, and eating the wrong composition, I believe, challenges the neural side. This is probably why I am practicing my descending on the bike so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

and eating the wrong composition, I believe, challenges the neural side.

What do you mean by this Daithi?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by this Daithi?

If you are looking at your overall health, you need to consider physical as well as mental health. Most discussions about eating healthy focus more on the physical and not on the mental health. At this point in my life (mid-40s) I am thinking of the long-term, short-termism when looking at health, I believe, drives behaviours like yo-yo dieting and also overtraining, which are unsustainable.

As we grow older the top health risks are usually cited as cardiovascular disease, heart disease, strokes, etc. and we tend (at least I do) consider dementia and other neural disorders as diseases of the really aged. I think what we eat today has a potentially big impact on our risk of neural disease. Eating too much (quantity) drives short-term changes physically but in this mode, most macro-nutrient groups are likely to be above adequate. However, if we undereat (quality) on any one particular group, aside from losing weight, you probably also cause potential harm to mental health, and doing this for an extended period has the implication of increasing neural health risk. The article points to some research indicating people who avoid red meat may be deficient in this way.

It might be enough to take on Vitamin supplements if the diet is focused on one or two macronutrient groups. Some say vitamin supplements are a waste of time as they have been shown to be dispelled in almost as high a concentration as they have been added to the diet but I'd rather have them circulating in excess and used as and when needed than to have them in insufficient concentrations.

One other point, the brain is a huge consumer of glucose so, even in the short-term, deficiencies in this can lead to bad decision making - note the crashes in long stages of bike races where the commentators put this down to the riders being "tired" - its likely the concentration required is being affected by sugar lows of one or two riders who underestimated their carb need.

Great link Astra. Going to tuck into a few of these over the impending winter in which I'll be commuting a lot.

Great link Astra. Going to tuck into a few of these over the impending winter in which I'll be commuting a lot.

How long is your commutte? Can you eat at work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Well the problem with saying "these studies are plain ridiculous" is that we are seeing this reported through a documentary which summarises and simplifies the studies. It is impossible to go back to the original studies without the specific references to them and assess whether they were ward controlled of "free humans", the latter of course being completely uncontrolled.

The odd thing about that Horizon program is that, based entirely on the article, it appears to be looking at studies and presenting info based on them, which would be interesting I think, but they seem to have tacked on the bit about the presenter trying a particular type of diet and making what seem like broad conclusions on the basis of perceived results. It seems an odd thing to throw into the program and to me seems to dilute the value of the core part of the program. Or perhaps the program is separate to the dietary trial by the presenter, maybe I'm just misreading the article (brain fade, I may need more carbs :) ).
    DaithiMC wrote:
    What I am trying to figure out at this stage in my life is how to grow old healthily, i.e., I'd rather just "stop" one day than have a slow lingering meander through a chronic, progressively debilitating disease.

I share your concerns and aims. For quite a while I've been trying to address this in other aspects of my life (e.g. I stretch regularly as I believe it'll contribute to better mobility for longer later in life) but for far too long I've been very casual about really considering the long term impacts of my diet. That's one of the positive side effects of my trying to adopt a LCHF diet, it has made me think more about the consequences of what I eat - I'm pretty sure I'm a long way still from an "ideal" diet, whatever that might be, but making a conscious effort to figure out what that should be feels like half the battle.

doozerie wrote: »
    The odd thing about that Horizon program is that, based entirely on the article, it appears to be looking at studies and presenting info based on them, which would be interesting I think, but they seem to have tacked on the bit about the presenter trying a particular type of diet and making what seem like broad conclusions on the basis of perceived results. It seems an odd thing to throw into the program and to me seems to dilute the value of the core part of the program. Or perhaps the program is separate to the dietary trial by the presenter, maybe I'm just misreading the article (brain fade, I may need more carbs :) ).

I share your concerns and aims. For quite a while I've been trying to address this in other aspects of my life (e.g. I stretch regularly as I believe it'll contribute to better mobility for longer later in life) but for far too long I've been very casual about really considering the long term impacts of my diet. That's one of the positive side effects of my trying to adopt a LCHF diet, it has made me think more about the consequences of what I eat - I'm pretty sure I'm a long way still from an "ideal" diet, whatever that might be, but making a conscious effort to figure out what that should be feels like half the battle.

Yes, I think carrying out "experiments" on top of an already simplified summary of the science can make the science seem unimportant. One of the principal problems of course is that he is a population of one. He is a trained medical doctor though and tries to interpret the outputs by engaging in a practical way but the outputs of these studies are so longitudinally focused that I don't know what he can achieve in a month. He did a better job of interpreting the Intermittent Fasting research which unfortunately though, gave rise to the fad 5:2 diet.

From what I have studied so far on nutrition - which has slowed down as I have changed work and so am not involved so much in medical diagnostics anymore, here are some observations (not facts!!):

1) Caloric Restriction: best recommended way for weight loss (no qualifier on dietary composition so "weight loss" can mean varying compositions of fat and lean mass loss).
    2) Intermittent Fasting: good for weight loss (not as good as CR), short-term fasts appear to emphasise more fat loss than lean mass. Potentially (though the potential looks good) better for chronic disease control as fasting reduces the number of cycles of inflammatory processes and promotes cellular repair rather than cellular replacement.
    3) Volume: large volumes of food obviously drive weight gain and also the inflammatory process, even if the large volume is biased towards only one or two groups so high protein diets will still give rise to weight gain if there is a significantly higher caloric value in the volume taken in. Gorging in intermittent fasting regimes doesn't show up as having long-term adverse health effects (yet! :) ) but I have read one study indicating that taking in a daily calorific quantity in one evening meal can lead to higher risk of CVD.
    3) Quality: We all intuitively know about the more Fruit and Veg but this is in the context of including it in the mix, not adding it to the volume, of what is already being eaten. The "five a day" doesn't mean "at least" five a day - so 45 items of a healthy food will still drive adverse health! In relation specifically to sugar I saw one review of the literature looking at the types of sugar (fructose v glucose v galactose) which indicates again, that the quantity of the sugar (carb load) is likely more detrimental than the type of sugar.

One other area that is attracting interest which may reveal that low carb diets, from a health (physical and mental) perspective have merit is the area of Advanced Glycated Endproducts - effectively proteins to which sugars become irreversibly bound. Some of these proteins have functions which become blocked by these bound sugars so effectively become inert in our circulation and are deposited over time in ways that it is supposed can lead to premature aging including neural disorders, so keeping your sugars on the equilibrium point for immediate use by your body means that these proteins can function as designed and are not "mopping up" excess sugars.

I can now only study this stuff in my spare time so this will remain the sum-total of my observations for a while yet!

How long is your commutte? Can you eat at work?

About 42k one way. I suppose I could do that alright.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html

Good article from a really good writer. Haven't seen it before here. More rounded view of things

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html

Good article from a really good writer. Haven't seen it before here. More rounded view of things

Interestingly.... in news today.... http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140825185319.htm

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/08/21/1409638111

Hoping this might be best place to ask;

Macadamia nuts - okay to eat unroasted & unsalted?

Considerable more expensive when they are roasted & salted.

No exact quantity mentioned here. Reason to be concerned.

I eat plenty of nuts every day - I struggle to get enough fat in otherwise - end up eating large quantities of meat and possibly too much protein.

I eat about 20-25 (rough estimate) of unsalted macadamia nuts per day plus some pecans and walnuts. I think it's fair to say not to go nuts with nuts, nothing is good in extreme portions. How come you are struggling with fat? Do you like/eat cheese?

Btw I was for ten days in the states and I completely ignored my eating, went in a carb fest, came back with 3.5kgs extra, damn!

• Advertisement
Advertisement